Start by marking “The Enceladus Crisis (Daedalus #2)” as Want to Read:
The Enceladus Crisis (Daedalus #2)

The Enceladus Crisis

(Daedalus #2)

Two dimensions collided on the rust-red deserts of Mars—and are destined to become entangled once more in this sequel to the critically acclaimed The Daedalus Incident.

Lieutenant Commander Shaila Jain has been given the assignment of her dreams: the first manned mission to Saturn. But there’s competition and complications when she arrives aboard the survey ship Armstrong.
Published May 6th 2014 by Night Shade (first published April 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Enceladus Crisis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Enceladus Crisis

Start your review of The Enceladus Crisis (Daedalus #2)
Carmen
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone Sci-Fi
This was an amazing book.

If you have an interest in any of the following things:
- Aliens.
- Inter-dimensional travel.
- Sailing ships that fly through space.
- Humans first landing on Enceladus and/or Titan.
- Alchemy.
- The Napoleonic Wars, the French Revolution, British-French conflict.
- The movie Prometheus.
- The movie The Thing.
- The movie Alien.
- A science-fiction book in which the protagonist is an Indian/Hindu woman and many supporting characters are Asian, Latina, and black. Not in
Stefan
Once again, the story is split between two timelines, one set in the year 2134, the other in 1798. What’s more significant, though, is that the 2134 timeline is set in a universe that mostly appears to follow the regular laws of physics we all know and love, while the 1798 story takes place in an alternate universe where sailing vessels can fly through outer space, most planets and moons have a breathable atmosphere, and several races of aliens exist.

The contrast between those two timelines coul
Richard Derus
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5* of five

My finger-wagging scold of a review is live at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud, the place I call "my blog." How dare that young whippersnapper of an author shove me on this emotional roller-coaster without a safety rail!

Y'all click-a-phobes will need to wait a minute before the full review comes here.
Abhinav
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-read
You can read the full review over at my blog:

Michael J. Martinez debuted last year with his novel The Daedalus Incident. The book had a bit of a rough time around its release since the publisher Night Shade Books went under and was eventually bought up by Skyhorse Publishing and Start Publishing. The release was delayed and when it finally arrived, it quickly became a hit, as far as I’m concerned. I’d read the book much earlier and I had enjoyed it quite a bit, so I followed all the news with an
Beth Cato
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved the first book of this series, The Daedalus Incident. It used two distinct narratives: far future Mars, where a human settlement encounters disturbing geological shifts, and a colonial British navy where alchemy-powered ships sail through deep space. The two story lines converge in an epic battle, though there is a lot left unresolved.

The second book continues a few years later--two years in the "contemporary" timeline, and twenty years for Weatherby and his fellow British officers. It's
Randal
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
What's here: Separate missions on earth and in Saturn's orbit; alt-reality and near future. Wide range of tech, believable if slightly stereotypical lead characters. Fun, fast-moving. Really wants to be a movie franchise.
What's not: Any depth for background characters. (view spoiler)
Kevin
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty fun! I think it's a solid 3.5/5. The character development is well done, both worlds are fleshed out, and there are real stakes. Also Napoleon shows up, so that's rad.
Jean Hontz
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first and ends with a cliff hanger. Not at all certain I'll read more in the series.
Daniel Shellenbarger
Enceladus Crisis picks up 2 or 19 years after the Daedalus Incident (of book 1), depending on which universe you're in. In the futuristic non-magical universe (essentially our universe in the year 2134), two of the survivors (Royal Navy Lt. Shaila Jain and her French geologist boyfriend Stephane Durand) of the incident are aboard the first manned ship bound for Saturn, hoping to explore the mysteries of its moons and stake mineral rights on Titan ahead of a rival Chinese expedition. Most of the ...more
BRT
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story from the Daedalus Incident continues with it's delightful mix of science fiction, steampunk, history, and time travel. Strange forces are still attempting to overthrow both dimensions by controlling the inhabitants of each. Even having prior knowledge of what might happen, it is almost impossible to avoid a repeat due to the greed and gullibility of some creatures. A bit harder to follow due to action at four different points; two locations in each dimension.
Alanhk
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it
While somewhat entertaining, not half as good as The Daedalus Incident. The first book had amazing world creation, relateable characters, and Martinez brought it all together in a climax. He left hooks for a sequel, and that's what this is, which sadly adds very little. In Daedalus he had two protagonists who eventually came together in exciting climax on Mars to save the world(s), in this he has two sets of protagonists in each universe, who he moves around the solar system to coincide in Egypt ...more
Joe Frazier
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi, alt-history
Michael Martinez's Story That Sails Into Our Hearts And Soars Into Our Minds

I gushed over Michael J. Martinez's The Daedalus Incident. Yes, I confess to being a bit rabid in my love for the book and becoming a raving fanboy of Mr. Martinez’ writing. Now, I was waiting, to borrow a phrase from the Bard, "...with bated breath, and whispring humblenesse" for its sequel, The Enceladus Crisis. Truth be told, however, I was also waiting with a little trepidation. After all, Mr. Martinez set a high bar
Notme
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not quite on par with part one, I thought. Also, would benefit from some editing, as things like "Would probably would have declined" are not something I want to encounter in a book that was not published independently. Not that I would want it in the indie, but I would probably be more understanding. Also, some formatting errors in my Kobo version. Not enough to deter me from reading, but enough to annoy.

Other than that a decent read, even though somehow repetitive. Daedalus Incident was excell
Normalene
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Book two of the Daedalus series, picks up in different periods for each half of the story. For Shaila Jain in 2134 A.D., it has only been a few months; for Thomas Weatherby in 1798 A.D., it has been over 20 years. Again there seems to be no way for the universes to touch, but greedy businessmen will find a way. This time the meeting takes place in ancient Egypt and on future moons of Saturn, Titan and Enceladus and just as much is at stake. I love the blending of the stories and they are differe ...more
Robert
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was very much looking forward to reading The Enceladaus Crisis. Going back to the story of Weatherby and company.
For the most part, I wasn't disappointed.
This time around, Martinez decided to have two point of view characters in each timeline.
This slowed things down a bit. Not drastically, but from time to time. You wouldn't get back to the characters you wanted soon enough.
He also introduced some new and interesting characters in the Xan.
This was an interesting alien race and you didn't
Conal
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book in a Goodreads first reads giveaway.

This was an interesting fun read that I picked back up this weekend and read through in one sitting. The author has done a great job in world building and lots of great characters in this one. I really enjoyed the premise of the inter-dimensional worlds where events are happening simultaneously. Looking forward to reading the other books in this series.

4 stars for a fun read. Recommended for sci-fi fans.
gradedog
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a sequel to The Daedalus Incident. The first book was good in spite of the difficulty I had reconciling the mashing of two genres and I gave it a fourth star because the author pulled it off. The Enceladus Crisis is fully deserving a four stars. Either I am now used to this unique blending and was primed, or the author hit his stride in this follow up novel. Both perhaps? Either way the story was seamless and the characters are engaging. I am looking forward to the next book.
Tyrannosaurus regina
This is one of those books where I argued with myself over the rating, because it was almost higher. There are four different stories here that do all tie together in the end, but in fairly predictable ways, and they mirrored one another a little too closely at times. As well the ending was...not an ending. More of a set up for the next book. Yet I did really enjoy the story and the characters and have no hesitation to continue reading the series.
Rob
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Though somewhat distracted trying to keep up with 4 story lines (in this volume) instead of 2 (as in the first volume), this series continues to be enjoyable. I am definitely going to have to pick the final book of the series, just to see how the 2 different worlds finally resolve themselves. The only down side in this middle novel is that there was not nearly as much "high-seas" adventure here as in the previous book.
David Rossing
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"The Enceladus Crisis" by Michael J Martinez - book two of the Daedalus Series. a Sci Fi Book which takes place e in an alternative universe where Sailing Ships with the use of alchemy and sail the ether and travel the solar system. and that dimension clashes with our dimension with dire events. ITs a good yarn
Todd Gutschow
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sometimes the author loses the "uniqueness" of the first book is lost somewhere during the subsequent books in a series. Not so here. The author has built upon the concepts he created and continues to embellish them with more interesting ideas. The action melds well with the plot line. A good second book in the series.
Susan
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I just love this series. It has two different realities, one is our reality, in 2134. The other has alchemy set in 1798, with sailing ships---in space!! Very well written characters, plot and settings. It has been awhile since I read the first one in the series, but didn't have to work to remember who was who, all characters stand out. Fun!
Marty Nicholas
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was dubious about the author's chances of carrying on the parallel universe theme but he managed quite well. Since the reader is not discovering these worlds and characters for the first time, a bit is lost from the first book. That being said, enjoyable story.
John
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk, sci-fi
A solid combination of near future and early 19th century into one story. I mean come on...TALL SHIPS in space! I look forward to the next installment. I don't know that it'll appeal to everyone, but I definitely enjoy the blending.
Michelle Roberts
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, 2014-read
Another great addition to the Deadalus Series. Can't wait for book 3.
Doreen Dalesandro
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Genre: sci-fi
Rating: 4
I listened to this book.

Can't wait for the 3rd in the series!

Bernard Setaro Clark and Kristin Kalbli do a great job narrating.
Brian
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good stuff, just like the first one. Eagerly awaiting the series conclusion.
Ric
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: michael-martinez
I like the way things evolve and most of actions, can agree that three books is just right. Takes some mind juggling to track two time periods, each with two events occurring. A good read.
Scott
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Good sequel to the Daedalus Incident. Looking forward to reading the third in this series.
Keith Gerlach
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
The 2nd in a trilogy that combines several genres and keeps it interesting through out.

• Terminal Alliance (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #1)
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
  • The Light Years
  • The Iron Ghost (The Copper Cat, #2)
  • The Copper Promise (The Copper Cat, #1)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • Lost Stars (Star Wars)
  • The Peculiar (The Peculiar, #1)
  • The Beast of Nightfall Lodge
  • Flex ('Mancer, #1)
  • A Crown for Cold Silver (The Crimson Empire, #1)
  • Fury From the Tomb
  • The Phlebotomist
  • Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • The Consuming Fire (The Interdependency, #2)
  • Imager (Imager Portfolio, #1)
  • Forging Hephaestus
I’m a husband, father and writer living the dream in the Garden State. I’ve spent nearly 20 years as a professional writer and journalist, including stints at The Associated Press and ABCNEWS.com. After telling other people’s stories for the bulk of my career, I’m happy that I can now be telling a few of my own creation.

When not being a husband, parent or writer, I enjoy beer and homebrewing, cook

Daedalus (3 books)
  • The Daedalus Incident (Daedalus #1)
  • The Venusian Gambit (Daedalus #3)

News & Interviews