Start by marking “Carolina Man (Dare Island, #3)” as Want to Read:
Carolina Man (Dare Island, #3)

Carolina Man (Dare Island #3)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  517 ratings  ·  112 reviews
Meet the Fletchers of Dare Island
Steady Matt, the son who stayed
Ambitious Meg, the daughter who never looked back
And warrior Luke, the Marine who never expected to return.

A heartwarming new novel in New York Times bestselling author Virginia Kantra’s beloved series about family ties, second chances, and the power of love…

Marine Luke Fletcher is determined to do his dut
Published March 4th 2014 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Carolina Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carolina Man

Carolina Man was a moving romance full of heart. This is the third story in the Dare Island series, and I loved this one so much I plan on going back and reading the first two.

Luke Fletcher is a Marine on tour in Afghanistan when he receives the news that his high school girl friend, Dawn, has named him as the father and guardian of her ten-year-old daughter, Taylor, in her will. He’s shocked but doesn’t hesitate in stepping up and taking responsibility. Thankfully he has his family to care for

Ever since book 1 when Luke was introduced, alongside Taylor, the daughter he didn't know for a decade, I was intrigued about his story. I thought the whole "connecting with the daughter" aspect of the story would be very good -- alongside the romance, of course.

And it did!! In fact, I loved this book so frickin' much!! It is definitely my favorite of the series and one of my best reads this year.

There were several things that made this book a giant winner for my heart.

One , the fathe
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Mar 10, 2014 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of contemporary romance
I won a copy of this book in a Firstreads drawing, but will not let that affect my review.

The theme of this book is the changes in our selves and in our view of the world wrought by love.

This does not suffer the doldrums that other third-in-a-trilogy books sometimes have. We are introduced to our hero in a way that is unlike the first two books, and where actions show his character.

Even though our heroine was introduced earlier in the trilogy, she was such an insignificant character at the time
3 stars almost entirely because of the family and Luke and Taylor.

The romance in this one just fell completely flat for me.
Sandi Layne
Sometimes, you start a book and you’re all…meh. Sometimes, especially if it’s not the first in an established series, you might worry that the book won’t “work” for you as a reader if you haven’t read the rest.

And sometimes? All of that is totally unfounded.

I will state here at the beginning that I really enjoyed this book. Without having read the others in the series (you can BET I’m adding them to my TBR!) I was able to immerse myself into the warm and loving Fletcher family with ease and lose
This was an absolute sigh-worthy book. I fell in love with the cover before I even read the blurb and chose it for a read. Then when I cracked open the book and began reading...I fell even harder. You put a military man, a crusading heroine, a cute girl who needs her daddy surrounded by a great family in a small town and I will adore your story. Bestill my romance-loving heart!

Okay, now that my emotional theatrics are over, here's my summary. Luke Fletcher is a career marine like his father. He
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; B+

My GR friend Carrie gave this book a good review and even though I've never read anything by Virginia Kantra I thought I'd check it out. I really enjoyed this warm contemporary romance. I thought the main characters were well drawn and the young girl they were helping balanced out the story very well.
The first of this series ended up being my favourite of the three. I liked this one just as much as the second, but most of that is entirely because of Luke and Taylor's story and less because of the romance. For some reason I just never warmed up to Luke/Kate, which is preventing me from bumping it up to 4 stars.

Taylor though. I love her. I'm going to miss the Fletcher family a lot, they had such a fun dynamic and I love how tight all of them were. I'm not entirely sure whether I'll be into a b
Manda Collins
Dec 18, 2014 Manda Collins rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Robyn Carr, Nora Roberts, JoAnn Ross
Wonderful return to Dare Island and the world of the Fletchers. Loved seeing the relationship between Luke and his ten year old daughter unfold almost as much as seeing him fall for buttoned up family lawyer, Kate Dolan. Kantra is exceptional at weaving together the small details of emotion and sights and sounds of daily life with the heady sensations of falling into a once in a lifetime love. The result is characters you feel like you know and a story that makes you wish there were more pages t ...more
I loved this book so much!!!

Taylor & Luke!! <3 This book was about them and i totally loved it!
Luke Fletcher comes home from his deployment overseas. Now fully faced with raising a daughter he hardly knows, Luke is finding it difficult. He reaches out to Kate Dolan, the attorney who first notified Luke about his daughter. As she offers her advice, Luke can’t help but notice the growing attraction he has for the lawyer. Kate is dragging her feet but Luke won’t rest until he has her in his life, permanently.

I’m so glad we finally get Luke’s book. We’ve only seen glimpses of him in previous
Laura Florand
I just love this book so much. Luke and Kate are such beautifully realized characters, and the relationship between Luke and Taylor is a work of art. Virginia Kantra has such a mastery of her craft, of storytelling and language--the way Luke's military experience, for example, informs his language and thought and actions so authentically but with such economy. (All her characters are drawn so well, but as the hero, and a wonderful hero, he, of course stands out!) Love her work.

Best one yet! I've enjoyed them all and this was a great addition to the mix. I love how Luke was written. I love how he originally just was interested in a nice romantic interlude, but that it got more serious. That seemed real--how a guy who'd been deployed sees a pretty, smart woman and thinks "I'd like to get to know her and have fun." He wasn't angsty or pushy--just red-blooded male. Then the relationship develops and feels natural instead of the "irresistible from the first moment I me
Pretty Sassy Cool
5 stars.

This review also appears on Pretty Sassy Cool.

And sometimes? All of that is totally unfounded.

This was my first book by Virginia Kantra, but it won't be my last. Luke is a Marine, serving in Afghanistan when he finds out that he is the father of a ten year old girl. His high school girlfriend never told him she was pregnant when she broke up with him. She has recently passed away and left him with custody of their daughter. He immediately takes emergency leave and goes home to settle things.

I loved Luke. He is an honorable man, intent on doing his duty to his country and Corps, fully pla
Another good read in this ongoing series. Great characters and storyline. Emotional.
Note to Self;
Luke Fletcher(younger bro,29yo,dad,Staff Sergeant Marine)& Taylor Simpson(10yo,his daughter,niece)and Snowball(her cat) and JD(her puppy)+ Kate Dolan(Katherine,lawyer),Matt Fletcher(oldest bro,pal, divorced,charter boat Capt.)&Josh F.(his son,nephew,HS student)+Allison Carter(H.S. Eng
Previously reviewed here:

Luke Fletcher is a Marine. It’s everything he knows and all he wants to do. His priority has always been the mission and keeping his men safe. But while in Afghanistan he learns that his high school girl friend has died and left him custody of her ten year old daughter, Taylor–his daughter, a daughter he never knew anything about. He heads home as soon as he can in order to straighten everything out.

Kate Dolan is the attorney for
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
This one is the third in the Dare Island series. It is much, much better than the first two, although I did enjoy those. I really enjoyed the couple in this one and seeing more about Taylor. She seems like such a cutey.
Straight Shootin' Book Reviews
3.5 stars- for Luke and Taylor. Not a big fan of Kate but I loved how Luke pursued her even with her own deep seated issues. I truly enjoyed the bonding between Luke and his daughter Taylor.

but mostly: luke & taylor. that was the book for me.
So I'm still looooving this family stuff, but the romance in this was really weak for me. I just flat out don't believe that Kate, as written, would commit to a serious relationship that quickly.

But ohhh. (view spoiler)

Kind of on the fence about the next one, though, since the romances aren't rea
I expected more from this book. Suzanne Brockmann, who I LOVE, has plugged Kantra's books for years, and I'm not into that immortals-under-the-sea idea (isn't that one of her recent series?) so when I saw this contemporary series, I finally decided to give it a try. I chose this third book in the Dare Island series because I do like a military hero.

However, the book was very *meh* for me. First, the military hero hardly had any military-ness to him, beyond saying "hoo-yah" or whatever special ph
Ellen (more books, please)
I won Carolina Man and the three other current installments in the Dare Island series from a giveaway on Dear Author.
I am again very impressed by Ms. Kantra. This is the third of the series I have read. Her writing is lovely. Her narratives speak to her understanding of her characters. This might seem very basic in a novel, but often I find myself saying to the author as I read their words, “Nuh-huh, he wouldn’t do that. That is just stupid.” Sometimes in my reading my internal dialogue with the
FAVORITE. FAVORITE. FAVORITE. I have been waiting for Luke and his story for the last two books and this one did not disappoint. I really fell for Kate and I liked her background because it made it very easy to relate and understand Taylor in a way her father couldn't.

And oh, Taylor. My baby. The author had dropped hints since book one about what happened but seeing it actually be noticed and talked about in this one really got to me. I'm glad Luke figured it out and that Taylor felt comfortable
Guilty Pleasures
Amanda‘s review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Review copy provided for an honest review

Carolina Man by Virginia Kantra is the 3rd book in her Dare Island series and concludes the continuing story of Luke and his daughter Taylor. Luke is a marine and was given the shock of his life 4 months ago when he found out he was a father of a 10 year old daughter. He’s returned home after another tour in Afghanistan and needs to connect with his daughter Taylor. What makes this story so goo
Paranormal Haven
Virginia Kantra’s books have been recommended to me by several people, so when I saw her latest, Carolina Man, I thought it might be time to take a look. To me, her smooth contemporary style is reminiscent of Laura Moore or Nora Roberts. Realistic dialogue combined with an awkward, yet loving family dynamic made for a fabulous read.

Luke Fletcher finds out he’s the father to a 10-year old girl whom he’s never met when he’s out on a mission in Afghanistan. Thrown for a loop, he has to make adjustm
I've decided recently that I enjoy romance with a little more depth. I want the sexy read; I want characters that I care about; I want a story I can't figure out from the first chapter; I want more going on than just whether or not the guy gets the girl. This book delivers that.

While this is book three in the series, it easily stands alone. I haven't read the first two but I fell in love with all the secondary characters and want to read their stories too. This is a close family that stands toge
Debbie Lester
Author Virginia Kantra continues her popular Dare Island series, with her latest book, Carolina Man. The Outer banks is a perfect backdrop for this series about family and the ties that bind. Kantra draws the reader in with stories of everyday people and how they live their lives. Her fictional family the Fletchers have been through a lot and now their son, Luke must deal with learning he is a father with a ten year old daughter he never knew about. This a great feel good novel and a great roman ...more
Tam B.
This story felt like a really quick read. I would have to re-read it to be sure of the timeline but it felt like the leads went from practically just meeting to married (well engaged) in a matter of a couple of weeks. (But I could have that wrong.)

Luke, has returned from marine duty overseas (which you do get to read about) to his home town and to the chance to get to know his daughter, Taylor, whose existence he knew nothing of until recently. Kate, is the lawyer who advised him of his "Daddy"
This book is about a Marine, Luke Fletcher, who suddenly finds out he has a ten year old daughter and that her mother has passed away. Kate Dolan, who is his ex-girlfriend's lawyer, tells Luke in a letter that he is now guardian of Taylor. Luke heads home to get Taylor settled with his family, and then finishes up his tour in Afghanistan. Upon his return back home, he has to get to know his daughter and settle some custody issues with Taylor's maternal grandparents.

I struggled a bit to like Luke
  • A Wish Upon Jasmine (La Vie en Roses #2)
  • The Wedding Ring Quest
  • A Love to Call Her Own (Tallgrass, #3)
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • Her Kind of Trouble
  • A Reason to Love (Snowberry Creek, #3)
  • His Very Own Girl
  • Sanctuary Island (Sanctuary Island, #1)
  • Sleigh Bells in the Snow (O'Neil Brothers, #1)
  • One Summer (Shelter Bay, #2)
  • Shelter Me (Second Chance Ranch, #1)
  • What Part of Marine Don't You Understand? (The Challenge Series)
  • Loving Him Off the Field (Santa Fe Bobcats, #2)
  • Waiting On You (Blue Heron, #3)
  • Gimme Some Sugar (Pine Mountain, #2)
  • Party Lines (The Easy Part, #3)
  • Ask Me Why (Green Mountain, #4.5)
New York Times bestselling author Virginia Kantra has written over twenty-five books of contemporary romance, romantic suspense, and paranormal romance. She is the winner of numerous writing awards, including Romance Writers of America's RITA Award and two National Readers' Choice Awards. Married to her college sweetheart and the mother of three kids, she is a firm believer in the strength of fa ...more
More about Virginia Kantra...

Dare Island (5 books)
  • Carolina Home (Dare Island, #1)
  • Carolina Girl (Dare Island, #2)
  • Carolina Blues (Dare Island, #4)
  • Carolina Dreaming (Dare Island, #5)

“If you never asked, you were never disappointed.
If you didn't rely on someone, they could never let you down.
If you never admitted how desperately you wanted something, it didn't hurt so much when it was taken away.”