Start by marking “The Living Sword (Living Sword, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Living Sword (Living Sword, #1)

The Living Sword (Living Sword, #1)

Eurik was found adrift by the san and raised by them. Though he had read much about the outside world, he'd never considered leaving home. Not until his teacher revealed what he had inherited from his parents: a living sword, a sentient blade of rare power . . . and with it, the names of his father and mother.

Reluctant to go, yet curious, Eurik sets out to discover who the
Published August 15th 2013

To ask other readers questions about The Living Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Living Sword

Start your review of The Living Sword (Living Sword, #1)
Leonard Tillerman
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-reviews
What does it really mean to be "comfortable" in life?  Some people would describe it as a position of relative happiness and well-being.  Satisfied and content with what you have.  When such a state is reached, it can be difficult to imagine doing anything else which may compromise it.  Why mess up a good thing?  Be that as it may, there are many people out there who will risk their comfort and security in favor of setting off for thrilling adventures or quests.  The need to discover something o ...more
Pauline Ross
This is rather a short book, closer to a novella than a full-length novel, but it packs a hefty punch for its size. Eurik is a human who was found as a baby in a boat with his dead parents, and raised by a non-human island-based society called the San. Ah, the orphan of unknown heritage story, that's always a good one, if a little over-used. The opening chapters, where we see Eurik living amongst the very alien San, are terrific. I'm a big fan of non-human societies, and this one has been very w ...more
Arina
Nov 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-5-stars, novella
An amusing page-turner of a novella where quest fantasy meets sword and sorcery, I savored it all in just a day due to its fast pace and entertaining plot. I wasn't a fan of the characterization of the San, due to uncomfortable parallels, but the story has great character dynamics, intriguing lore that opens up as we journey with Eurik and his peculiar companion, sentient swords!, and is a very fun read. Classic fantasy done in the author’s genuine, gripping, highly-entertaining way.

C. Borden
Feb 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
michael becker
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Innovative magic system

The 'magic' system is interesting and the main character doesn't go through any of those annoying phases were main characters cry about how terrible they are for defending themselves that seem to be so popular nowadays.

I also like how the author was able to convey a slight difference between him and a normal human, after all he wasn't raised by humans so there should be something different with the way he thinks.

The only negative to me is how short the book is and the fac
John McCrea
Mar 22, 2021 rated it liked it
Full review published at: https://talesfromabsurdia.com/book-reviews/the-living-sword-review/

______________

The Living Sword is a curious book.

It has a well-realised world with a good supporting cast, but the quality of writing is very inconsistent.

It's a mostly an enjoyable tale and whilst Janes's novella tends to be a bit tropey (chosen one / absent parents / Eurik doing lots of things ‘grimly’), it's very much the book equivalent of a popcorn ‘flick.

The Living Sword is fun, a little wacky at
Heather Barksdale
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
“The Living Sword” is a story of self discovery set in a fictional world. It follows the journey of Eurik, a human raised in another culture by The San. Eurik is content to live with the San until he is provided two things: the names of his deceased parents and a living sword that once belonged to them. He sets out to learn what he can about his parents and his past with the help of his trusty sword, Misthell.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. I thought the ancillary characters were fun and interesti
Anna Maria
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
For a book as short as this one, The Living Sword does a good job delivering Eurik's story. The characters that we mostly follow throughout the book, are surprisingly well developt, considering the short length of the story. The plot was engaging enough, but it felt a bit rushed at times. I found that I couldn't immerse myself as much as I wanted to into the book, because the story kept moving from place to place too fast. It did keep my interest till the end though.

The world was an interesting
E.L. Haines
Feb 07, 2021 rated it liked it
Despite the little inconsistencies, I really enjoyed watching Eurik learn and practice his abilities. I’m sure future books in this series will develop these powers even further.

The main characters were relatable and interesting. They had motivations and personality. The primary antagonist was perhaps a little unconvincing, but his appearance is brief at the end.

The action scenes were engrossing and intense. I’m looking forward to more of the same in sequels to this book.

And so far, the world of
Mordie
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
The book felt like a first novel in a series. Everything was left unanswered and it was clearly just a young boy's start of a journey. It felt more of a YA than a adult book.

Unfortunately it showed the book is a first from the author. It was more refined than some others I've read, but it seemed a bit disconnected at some points.

Nice read, but not a jewel.
Chris Byron
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
YA fans of Avatar: The Last Airbender will love this.
Steven
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wish it was longer and edited a little better but I liked it overall.
Nick Prario
Sep 05, 2014
Evan
Jan 11, 2015
Ac
rated it did not like it
Aug 09, 2015
Liam Horgan
Jan 29, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Hatch
  • Celts and the Mad Goddess (The Deathless Chronicle #1)
  • Succubus Hunter
  • A Dragon in the Palace (The Dragonbond Saga #2)
  • Red Hail
  • Woman Strong: A Collection of Poems
  • The Others (Blood on the Stars, #13)
  • Black Dawn (Blood on the Stars, #8)
  • The Grand Alliance (Blood on the Stars, #11)
  • Invasion (Blood on the Stars #9)
  • The Colossus (Blood on the Stars, #12)
  • The Last Stand (Blood on the Stars #14)
  • Nightfall (Blood on the Stars #10)
  • A River of Horns (Ames Archives Book 4)
  • Fury (Brutal Saga #6)
  • Gold on the Hoof (Ames Archives Book 3)
  • Rage (Brutal Saga #3)
  • Georgia Stories On My Mind
I've had a love for history for as long as I can remember, I even studied it at university.

Fantasy I discovered later and now I try to combine the two in my writing.