Start by marking “Afterlife with Archie, Vol. 1: Escape from Riverdale” as Want to Read:
Afterlife with Archie, Vol. 1: Escape from Riverdale

Afterlife with Archie, Vol. 1: Escape from Riverdale

(Afterlife With Archie #1-5)

This is how the end of the world begins... Archie and the gang go where they've never been before -- to the grave and back! A horrific accident sets off a series of grim events and Sabrina the Teenage Witch must try to repair the unspeakable evil her spell has unleashed. Gasp in horror as Riverdale faces an impending zombie Arch-pocalypse in this spine-tingling ongoing ser ...more
Published June 10th 2014 by Archie Comics (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Afterlife with Archie, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Kei Smith Volume 2 release date has been pushed back to March 20, 2018. Fingers crossed it doesn't get postponed again! 🤞🏽

Anne
I was honestly not interested in some sort of schlocky Zombies in Riverdale story. When I first heard of this one it just sounded like some corny cash grab that was trying to ride the coattails of The Walking Dead...and the other 10 bjillion zombies stories out there.

description

But surprisingly, Afterlife managed to make it worthwhile for me to read one more story about the living dead. The first thing they did right was to utilize Riverdale's paranormal neighbor, Sabrina, as the catalyst of the infestatio
Sesana
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This is a zombie book with a definite explanation for the presence of zombies, and it's one that makes sense. Jughead's beloved dog, Hot Dog, gets hit by a car. Jughead isn't entirely stupid, and takes his dog to Sabrina (she's a teenage witch, you know) but it's too late. Hot Dog is dead. But not gone, not once Sabrina lets her sympathy for Jughead outweigh her common sense. So in best Pet Sematary tradition, Hot Dog comes back. And yes, sometimes dead is better.

So far, so good. And from there,
Jan Philipzig
I was a bit worried coming in that the Archie-versus-zombies premise might be nothing but a one-note joke with the usual postmodern tongue-in-cheek undertones, but it turned out to be lots of fun! I was surprised by the ambitious storytelling that neither Archie comics nor contemporary horror stories are known for, and impressed with Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa's and Francesco Francavilla's ability to effortlessly juggle romance, horror, and comedy elements. Turns out a bloody little zombie apocalyps ...more
Brandon
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, comix, fiction, horror
When Jughead’s dog, Hot Dog, is struck by a car and dies, he turns to Sabrina Spellman for help. Being a witch and all, she can surely bring Hot Dog back from the dead and save ol’ Jughead a world of hurt. Unfortunately for Jughead, beings that have expired are not eligible for any of the regular Spellman family get-well-soon spells.

Despite being forbidden by her Aunts, Sabrina’s guilt heavily outweighs any potential punishment. Taking matters into her own hands, she grabs the nearest Necronomic
Chelsea
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Well, it took me ages to read this.

3.5 stars.

The art in this book is gorgeous! Totally sets the mood with the colors, the blocking and even the font. I totally got an old school horror movie vibe from it.

I just wish it held my interest throughout the entire reading.

This book skips between a lot of different stories. Archie's here in name only for quite some time and I can't tell if that helped or hindered my enjoyment of this book. I liked the stories about the two cheerleaders that were sne
Sam Quixote
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Francesco Francavilla’s variant cover for Life with Archie #23 depicted zombified versions of Archie’s pals shuffling towards him and led the way to this spinoff series, Afterlife with Archie: Escape from Riverdale.

After a car accident involving Jughead’s pet, Hot Dog, and a spell from Sabrina the teenage witch goes awry, the zombie apocalypse comes to Riverdale on the night of the Halloween dance. Archie and his friends must battle loved ones who have turned and somehow escape from their belov
Cameron Chaney
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
More of this, please. Just... keep it coming, Aguirre-Sacasa. Keep it coming...
Michelle Morrell
The scariest, most atmospheric, traumatic, moving and tense book I read this Halloween season was an ARCHIE COMIC? Yes, yes it was.

I am utterly shocked. And thrilled. Way to hit it out of the park, Archie Andrews. From the very first page the art is commanding and powerful. Horrific, without crossing the line to overgore. The story is wrenching, and it's chock full of subtext and pathos.

I am seriously impressed.

Reread 2016: Still fun!
Ioanna ms✨
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Αρκετά spooky, αλλά δε μπορώ να πω ότι με ενθουσίασε. Πιστεύω πως αυτό που με κράτησε είναι ότι γνώριζα ήδη τους χαρακτήρες. Θα συνεχίσω με το Vol.2 γιατί είναι ευχάριστο γενικά και θέλω να δω ποιοι θα επιζήσουν από την παρέα😂
Melki
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melki by: Mathew Carruthers
Right off the bat, this was better than that sickeningly sweet Kevin Keller I read last year. Here we have Betty and Veronica sniping away at each other over that Andrews boy. That's more like the Archie comics I remember!

Too bad the zombies have to show up and spoil all the fun . . .

Well, actually the zombies ARE the fun.

Good, riveting story + excellent artwork - lots of black mixed with bright yet monochrome colors that convey a sense of urgency = bad news for Riverdale, but fun times for the
Eric Poirier
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Riverdale meets The Walking Dead. I loved this and really hope there’s a second volume on the way!
Ronyell
Afterlife

Introduction:

Alright, so I will admit that I have not read many Archie Comics where the gang is put into a darker situation that is different from the “wholesale family entertainment” adventures that they are usually in (and this was BEFORE the reboot came along, although the reboot was not as dark as this comic). So, since Halloween is around the corner, I just had to pick this graphic novel up called “Afterlife with Archie: Escape from Riverdale Volume One” which is written by Roberto Aguir
Joseph
Buddy read with the Shallow Comic Readers -- This week's theme: Horror!!!

description

I'm not a fan of the zombie sub-genre, whether in comics, TV, books, or movies. It just doesn't interest me, and to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of horror in any other medium besides comics. Having said that, I haven't watched/read The Walking Dead or any other recent zombie iteration.

So what we have here is Zombie Archie and Friends. The primary purpose I picked it up was because of the art by Francisco Francavilla, who i
Gavin
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I'd already read #1, which I enjoyed tremendously. So this was just the rest of Volume 1...this book is dark. Very dark. Especially if you know Archie is usually so fluffy.
Hot Dog, Jughead's pet dog, gets hit and run, by one of the gang no less! Jughead goes to Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and she ends up helping revive him from the dead...but it's not a good thing...Hot Dog is a zombie...and he bites Jughead!

This starts the downward spiral, including Halloween Dance at the High School being atta
Mike
The conceit of seeing the same old too-innocent-and-stupid-for-modern-times archetypes in a new, more amped-up setting is good for a few smirks and callbacks to more innocent Archie books I read as a kid.

But sadly, Mr. A-S hammers the point home with some lazy, ham-fisted dialogue:
(Veronica's admission)

(Other folks too blunt)

By the time Mr. Weatherbee shambles in with a lifetime of payback on his mind, I started reading this like any other zombie story. Just like the other book like this I could
Michael Finocchiaro
Not entirely convinced here. Ok, interesting idea to turn Riverdale into TWD, but damn, why does Juggie have to go to the undead so quickly? I enjoyed the artwork, but the story was not fantastic. I'll probably skip Vol 2.
Darinda
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Archie and friends must fight for their lives against zombies.

I loved Archie comics when I was a kid. I had boxes and boxes of these comics, so I was excited to see one of my childhood favorites get a spooky upgrade.

Fun. Creepy. Highly entertaining. Great for Archie fans who also like zombie stories.

Volume 1 includes issues 1-5.
#1: Afterlife with Archie - Jughead's dog, Hot Dog, dies, but comes back.
#2: Dance with the Dead - Halloween dance and zombies
#3: Sleepover - The gang hangs out at Lo
Donovan
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I've never read Archie, so most of the references are lost on me. As far as I can tell the characters are fairly surface anyway (50's archetypes), so I don't feel like it's a huge loss. That said, Afterlife with Archie is an entertaining albeit predictable read. The writing definitely plays off the campy B nature of zombie culture and was pretty funny/ridiculous sometimes. What do you mean infected? Is it rabies? Bobby what's wrong with you? Ouch!!! CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP.

The story follows a really p
James DeSantis
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Why is this and Sabrina so good? Like for real...Roberto has made series I never thought I'd REALLY enjoy but turned out so freaking good.

So Afterlife with Archie is like Archie meets walking dead. Seems simple right? Dog gets killed, witch brings him back to life, and then dog bites owner. Owner bites human. And we got a zombie Apocalypse! The story focuses on Archie, Betty, and V. But it also includes our favorite Jughead and some other supporting cast from Archie's large crew. However, this
GrilledCheeseSamurai
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Do we really need another zombie story? No, not really. At least that's what I thought when Afterlife first came out. Then, just the other day, Comixology had it on sale...so why not, right?

I friggen loved it! Jugheads dog, Hotdog, is killed in a hit and run so he turns to his witch pal Sabrina, to bring him back to life.

Being that this is a zombie comic and bringing things back from the dead can be a tricky business you can see where this is headed...and ya know what? It totally worked for me.

I
Kevin Shepherd
This was truly macabre, and I mean that in the best possible way. It's a spoof that's not really a spoof at all. Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Francesco Francavilla are the gruesome twosome, taking what could have easily been campy-corn, and turning it into a zombie-iffic terror-fest that would make George Romero proud.
Ashish
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, horror
It's terrifying. Not the book, or the plotline / story, which is fairly standard, classic zombie scenario. What makes it reach into the guts of your childhood and rip you apart is the setting and the people it takes - these are characters you grew up with, who represented everything you associated with the innocence of childhood.
There were no deaths, no drugs, no getting drunk. Nobody was poor, and everyone had a car, a loving family, and no problems. No sex. Music. Dances. The beach. Food and
Nicholas Kaufmann
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Spectacular! Remarkably, writer Aguirre-Sacasa plays it absolutely straight, penning none of the jokey Riverdale antics we've come to expect from Archie and the gang into the story. Instead, the characters we've all come to know and love are presented as authentic human beings, although the personality traits we associate with each of them still manage to come through charmingly and recognizably. Artist Francavilla follows Aguirre-Sacasa's lead by eliminating the cartoonishness of the original c ...more
Ctgt
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The zombie craze hits Riverdale. I'm not a big zombie story guy, it's sort of like vampires....beaten to death at this point. Of course I'm completely in the tank for Francesco Francavilla and his artwork so I had to pick up this first trade. The story itself is servicable but nothing special. There are few secondary characters that I am not familiar with although since it's been, oh about 30 years since I read an Archie comic I can't tell if these characters have been ongoing or are new to this ...more
Gary Butler
84th book read in 2017.

Number 58 out of 648 on my all time book list.

Having never read Archie I was surprised by how familiar I was with the cast. One of the more believable zombie tales.
Dylan
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
3.5 stars.

I haven't read anything but The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina from this world so I didn't know the connections between characters, but I ended up having lots of fun with this one, even if it dragged a bit.
Diana
This was a very different take on the Archie comics I grew up with. I did like it and will probably continue with the next volume.
Jakub Kvíz
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Muj prvni vylet do Riverdale se povedl.

Clovek tak nejak z doslechu zna vetsinu postav, ale stejne sem byl prijemne prekvapenej, jak nenucene a efektivne byla vetsina z nich do pribehu zapojena.

Cely to pusobi hrozne “uveritelne” a neni to ten typ pribehu kdy se vezme funkcni univerzum a udela se nejakej twist (jako treba nudny Marvel Zombies).

Francavillova kresba dela minimalne pulku celyho zazitku a druhej book je “must buy”.
Michael
When Jughead's old pal Hot Dog is hit by a car, the distraught teen takes him to Sabrina and her family to bring him back to life. While her aunts refuse, Sabrina is moved by Jughead's plight and taps into some dark magic to bring Hot Dog back to the land of the living.

Apparently, all the copies of Pet Semetary were checked out before Jughead decided to this. Because while Hot Dog does come back, sometimes dead is better. Before you know it, Hog Dog has unleashed a wave of zombie terror in River
Yerasly
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It had been some time since I have read any Archie comic, and how I missed Riverdale! I heard about this series thru the lovely (comic)book tube! And also from the lady who works at the comic book store, they both said that they didn't expect much from the new comic series but it turned out to be really good! Even from issue one I was hooked, the story gave me a kids feel to "The Walking Dead", and it did get dark at times, but overall very well written and the art is beautiful. The story starts ...more
  • Harrow County, Vol. 1: Countless Haints
  • Jughead, Vol. 2
  • Fatale, Vol. 2: The Devil's Business (Fatale, #2)
  • Archie vs Predator
  • Archie, Vol. 3
  • Black Magick, Vol. 1: Awakening, Part One
  • Revival, Vol. 5 : Gathering Of Waters
  • Monsters! and Other Stories
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 24: Life and Death
  • Fresh Romance, Vol. 1
  • Ghosted, Vol. 3: Death Wish (Ghosted, #3)
  • Baltimore, Vol. 2: The Curse Bells
  • The Woods, Vol. 2: The Swarm
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 6: Homecoming
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 2: Fear No Malus

Afterlife With Archie (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Afterlife With Archie #1