Start by marking “Nebula Awards Showcase 2014” as Want to Read:
Nebula Awards Showcase 2014

Nebula Awards Showcase 2014 (Nebula Awards #15)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  147 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The latest volume of the prestigious anthology series, published annually across six decades!

The Nebula Awards Showcase volumes have been published annually since 1966, reprinting the winning and nominated stories in the Nebula Awards, voted on by the members of the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America® . The editor selected by SFWA's anthology committee (chair
Published May 20th 2014 by Pyr (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Nebula Awards Showcase 2014, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nebula Awards Showcase 2014

GeekyGodmother
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
While most of what I receive is fantasy and mystery, this is pure unadulterated science fiction. It was refreshing, and every story was unique and wonderful. My absolute favourite was definitely Nancy Kress's winning novella - After The Fall, Before The Fall, During The Fall.

In just 108 pages she tells the stories of two very different main characters, slowly bringing their stories together all while switching back and forth through time at breakneck speed, but keeping the story intelligible and
Ferenc
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
A collection of short-stories, novellas, and excerpts from the 2014 Nebula Award Winners.
Some thoughts on them:

Immersion by Aliette de Bodard - **** (that's four stars) - What happens if we rely too much on technology? If we see the world only through the prism of an artificial intelligence? The story presents a case where technology took over humanity, quite literally. -

Close Encounters by Andy Duncan - *** - A story about ‘real’ close encounters, criticizing the over-mediatized abducting sto
Tomislav
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I eagerly read the annual Nebula winners anthology from SFWA, and was very impressed with both the content and editorial writing in the prior years' (2012 and 2013) releases. It always renews my interest in the genre, to find good new writers and to read discussion of the vital current issues in speculative fiction. This year, the anthology is somewhat shorter, containing little more than the actual Nebula Award winners in various categories.

On a personal level, I was also disappointed to see th
Kristin
February's bookgroup selection. We've been reading the Nebula Awards Showcase books for over 10 years now. I somehow blanked bringing this to book group last year, so we slid it in the rotation for the start of 2015. Several of these I read previously as Hugo Nominations. While not every story strikes a cord, the compilations tend to be consistently good.

Immersion by Aliette de Bodard -Read previously in June of 2013. Layers to this short story that, like the woman in the immersion, needs to be
Ken
Jul 05, 2016 added it
Immersion - strong A.I. story (what is it with all the Vietnamese names and references, Author's cultural fetish?The writer is 1/2 or 1/4 Viet so she 's probably fascinated by her ancestral roots is my only explanatio
n )
2313 winning novel excerpt - too short to tell
Andy Duncan's winning story - overrated IMO
Ken Lui - I always enjoy his work
The best is probably the one by Nancy Kress
GEne Wolfe: it is very hard to write accomplished works in the style of Gene Wolf, so layered, because it may re
Barondestructo
May 13, 2014 rated it liked it
A selection of this past year’s Nebula award winners and nominees showcases a varied mix of stories and excerpts. My favorites were the more character-oriented entries: “After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall”,a Nancy Kress eco-thriller about a group of post-apocalypstic survivors who travel back in time, kidnapping children to help ensure humanity’s survival, and “Christmas Inn” by Gene Wolf, a deceptive, deep and textured tale about a struggling family hosting some strange guests on ...more
Christina
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I honestly didn't love a lot of these stories, but there's some solid sci-fi in here, and I think many of the authors will come back to me in the future with stories that may work better for me. It's just... too experimental for me to really love these? More my fault than the stories' fault, to be honest.
Valentyn Danylchuk
It was entertaining to read some "modern" SciFi, in contrast to the classics which had flying cars and spaceships but no cellphones or internet. However, I did not find anything outstanding in this book.
John Everard Griffith
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the book. I wanted to see what the Nebula Awards considered good science fiction. I liked most of the book and was interested in the different categories. The novel was not included, just the first chapter.
Jamie Moesser
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was reading this that I discovered Nancy Kress, whose works I have fallen in love with. I also read several pieces that I was amazed by that I know I wouldn't've read otherwise because they were so short.
James
Nov 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sf, fiction
OK but not a knock out this year.
Victor M Anita Gtz.
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lecturas cortas para vivir en realidades alternas y dejar un ratito el mundo cotidiano. Muy buenos y lo nuevo para mi fueron las poesías de ciencia ficción.
Richard Wood
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Rhysling poem awards at the end of the book were a welcome surprise.
Ted Roberts
all one hopes for.

ranging through the best of the year, this anthology gives tons of bang for your buck although leaning a bit far towards the cryptic for this simple exsailor.
Bazilisk
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great taste of tons of contemporary science fiction. Like every year, it introduced me to talents that I haven't heard of before.
David Monroe
Nov 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: anthology
Highly uneven collection.
Jason
The excellent Gene Wolfe story "Christmas Inn" is definitely worth reading, and the only reason I bumped my rating of this up to three stars. The rest? Various shades of "okay."
Miranda
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As usual with a Nebula Awards Showcase, I thought every story in the collection was fantastic. This is worth your time!
Ian Rose
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This would be worth reading even if it only included Nancy Kress and Ken Liu's stories. Those are my two favorites of last year. With the others added in, it's a very strong collection.
Travis Mueller
I only read the short works in here, and not all of them. Most weren't quite to my taste, though they contained some interesting ideas.
Eugen
Jun 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2013
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2012
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2011 (Nebula Awards, #12)
  • Lightspeed: Year One
  • Old Venus
  • The Apex Book of World SF 3 (Apex Book of World SF #3)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2012
  • The Top of the Volcano: The Award-Winning Stories of Harlan Ellison
  • Twenty-First Century Science Fiction
  • Operation Shield (Cassandra Kresnov, #5)
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2012 Edition
  • After the End: Recent Apocalypses
  • Resurrection (Blood of the Lamb, #3)
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 9
  • The Silk Map (Gaunt and Bone, #2)
  • The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction: Sixtieth Anniversary Anthology
  • Best of Apex Magazine: Volume 1
Kij Johnson is an American writer of fantasy. She has worked extensively in publishing: managing editor for Tor Books and Wizards of the Coast/TSR, collections editor for Dark Horse Comics, project manager working on the Microsoft Reader, and managing editor of Real Networks. She is Associate Director for the Center for the Study of Science Fiction at the University of Kansas, and serves as a fina ...more
More about Kij Johnson

Nebula Awards (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Nebula Award Stories