Start by marking “Help! We Need a Title!” as Want to Read:
Help! We Need a Title!

Help! We Need a Title!

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  813 Ratings  ·  176 Reviews
What if you picked out a book to read, but the characters weren’t ready for you yet? A clever new picture book from the creator of the New York Times bestseller Press Here.

Take a peek inside this book and you’ll find some characters (though they’re still a bit sketchy). They’ll be perplexed to see you, so they’ll quickly try to track down their author (who has a lot more
Published May 13th 2014 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Help! We Need a Title!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Help! We Need a Title!

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I am going to be in the minority with my thoughts on the book but I will share them nonetheless.

This one is a great idea with some wonderful laugh out loud moments that completely falls apart about 1/2 way through the book. I wanted this book to be so much more and sadly it wasn't. There was one part when the characters indicate they are bored and I was thinking the same thing.

I like books that look at the writing process and engage children in the process as well, but this one fails to pull i
Niki (Daydream Reader)
A cute idea that doesn't really go anywhere.
Kaethe
August 10, 2014
Not my favorite among the metafictional books for young children.
May 24, 2016
Still not. Although apparently I loved Press Here so much that I keep picking this one up.

Library copy
Julie
Loved Press Here and hoped for same feeling. Super funny concept, but don't think it will translate to intended audience.
Jordan
May 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
Don't let this man near children. Or art supplies.

Phoebe Ledster
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tullet is a master of creative, engaging and interactive storytelling! It is clear to see the similarities in his writing style with his other book ‘Press here’ (a personal favourite) and he never fails to provide unique and inventive picture books!
Romelle
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an unfinished book with pictures that appears to be drawn by a kid. When you open the cover, the characters are caught off guard by our presence. And we find them staring back at us. They realize we opened their book in anticipation of reading a story. So they scramble to get their act together and hire a story writer (who happens to be the author/illustrator of this book and his face appears in the story which I find wildly funny) since all that is in the book are pictures of a pig, pri ...more
Emmaline MacBeath
I normally adore Herve Tullet books. But this one did not peek my interest even a little bit. There is no story line. The entire story includes some character sketches (literal sketches of characters) who are talking to an unknown person. They are telling him that they are not ready for a story because they are still sketchy. Then they bring the author in (again literally). Pictures of the author's head are attached to a sketched body. He tells an eight page story that is slightly less sketchy. ...more
Tasha
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This first book is not quite ready to be read yet. In fact, the characters inside are still getting ready. There isn’t really a story, though they are looking for one. And the characters themselves are rough sketches rather than lovely images. In fact, the entire inside of the book is a mess. Perhaps if we found an author? But even that doesn’t help much, especially when the characters are disappointed in the story he creates for them. Yet in the end, it is a book, with a story, some funny momen ...more
Panda Incognito
The premise of this book is that a bunch of story characters are alarmed to see a reader peeking in on them before their tale is finished. It was a fun concept, and the scribbly illustrations were delightfully reminiscent of childhood, but the story purposefully lacked structure and meaning. Although that is somewhat acceptable as a stylistic decision, one must question the choice for a children's picture book.

As a writer, I thought this picture book was amusing, but it functions poorly as ente
Kristina Jean Lareau
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebook
Help! We Need a TITLE! is yet another metafictive "interactive" story along the lines of The Three PigsA Book, and We are in a Book!, (plus a slew of other imitators)but without the same uniqueness or depth.

Tullet authored the fantastic book Press Here and there is a fun little reference to hat successful title in this book.

The only reason I gave 3 stars instead of 2 is that the insertion of the author's image and the provision of an actual full-page color short story offered a little something
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-2nd grade

Delightful take on a meta book for kids that introduces them to the creation of a book. Although it could have easily gotten confusing or repetitious, Tullet provides several characters with varying personalities that try to talk their way through making the book more "presentable" for the readers/listeners.
Jenny
I am clearly not the intended audience for this book...and well, it just didn't work for me. I am certain that some children will read it and love it. I didn't like the illustrations and felt the "story" had no real story to it (which I recognize was the whole point)...so I just didn't find anything that really appealed to me personally.
Beverly
Jul 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Funny story within a story. I am not a fan of scribbly, messy, childish artwork, that someone as untalented as I could produce, and this book has it in spades, until the four double-page spreads of the short story which has simple, but not scribbly artwork. The author/illustrator has also included several head-shot photos of himself attached to a drawing of his upper body.
The Styling Librarian
Help! We Need a Title! by Herve Tullet – Just enjoyed every bit. Not a ‘Press Here’ but hilarious and fantastic approach to writing a book and having your characters speak out.
Casandria
We catch unformed characters before their book is even ready to be ready!
Books
Imagination
Lance
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lance by: Oxford Central Library and Soft
"Do you have an idea for a story or not?
If not, the very sweet people will leave!
"

This book was enormously cool.
I'm really impressed with picture books that engage with the reader directly, and There Are Cats In This Book was one my favourite picture books of 2015. So this one really stood out to me, with the direct narrative voice and the illustrations that constantly change (is the pink animal a cow or a pig? At first I thought it was a pig and now I'm not sure any more), and look just like a
Megan Garrison
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riley Cockerham
An author is trying to make a book but hasn't quite finished it leaving the characters only sketches, but they are still alive, and interactive to the reader. The character try and create a story for the reader but fail because they need an author. They call him in and he gives us a quick story.

This book was so different than any I have ever read and I know I didn't do a great job of summarizing it. I was so taken aback by how different this book was and don't really know how I feel about it.

I
Paul
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
The concept of this book's characters looking out at us the readers is brilliant. But where do you with that idea? Not sure and Tullet didn't seem to be either. I found the rough and raw visual quality of the first portion of the book more engaging and visually compelling. Thankfully we at least got to press a light switch near the end of the book as in Press Here to have an effect. Perhaps this book would be valuable in looking at he writing process with younger writers.
Dionne
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the first read, my son wasn't really sure what to make of this book. It seemed like it went over a little bit like a lead brick. I also wasn't sure I liked it. It seemed a little trite and ordinary. On the second read of this book my son really liked it and thought it was funny, since I added some funny voices and commentary.
Kalynda
The writing teacher in me had high hopes for this book that fell flat. The reading teacher in me loved the characters talking to us readers, but I was still wanting a story that really needed a title. The primary grade teacher in me knew that the students would respond well to the illustrations and the dialogue.
Jo Oehrlein
Opens to the characters, with no real story or backgrounds or illustrations. The characters break the 4th wall and talk to the reader, trying to entertain. They eventually fetch an author who tells a short story. After the story, everyone says good-bye.

It's a cute idea, but I'm not sure that it really works.
W.A. Ashes
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to my kindergarten library class and they absolutely adored it! We had a discussion about what an author is and what makes a book. It had them asking what happens to a story's characters after the book is over or before its opened. It sparked a lot of imaginative thoughts. The art in it is rough, child-like drawings that really helped bring the author's point home. I loved it!
Chris Hays
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, humor
Well this attempt at humor is interesting, but leaves the reader short of an actual story. In class it might work as a way to teach students about the struggle of writing. Beyond using it to teach writing, I am not sure how much students would independently enjoy this read.
Melissa
Fun read with kids. The childlike illustrations and story telling is silly, interactive and encouraging young artists to use their own doodled characters to invent their own stories. Plus, the author/illustrator makes a surprise appearance.
Donna Mork
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: interactive
Cute interactive book where the characters speak to the reader. They say they aren't ready yet b/c the story isn't done. But they decide to call in the author. He gives a quick story then has the reader turn out the light. The characters ask them to turn the light back on, then they say goodbye.
Sagan
It makes me feel like I could make a book. --Sagan (6) The Mom thinks it looks like Tullet tossed together his writer's block brainstorming sketches, but Sagan keeps picking it at the library and spends a few days afterward very confident with his art supplies, so what do I know?
Kari
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cool idea for a book!
Molly Cluff (Library!)
I love Tullet's books, but this one seemed more meandering. Cute pictures, though!
Do you know the book 1 1 Sep 28, 2015 08:47AM
  • A Perfectly Messed-Up Story
  • Pardon Me!
  • Warning: Do Not Open This Book!
  • Any Questions?
  • Ralph Tells a Story
  • My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.)
  • Circle, Square, Moose
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • I'm My Own Dog
  • Crankee Doodle
  • Kid Sheriff and the Terrible Toads
  • The Midnight Library
  • Uni the Unicorn (Uni the Unicorn, #1)
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
  • Open Very Carefully: A Book with Bite
  • Moo!
  • Ideas Are All Around
  • Brief Thief
Hervé Tullet is the creator of more than fifty children’s books, including Press Here, which has been translated into twenty-seven languages. He loves to provoke surprise with his books, as well as in the dynamic workshops that he takes part in. He lives in Paris and is celebrated internationally for his playful, inventive, and interactive storytelling.
More about Hervé Tullet