Start by marking “The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization” as Want to Read:

Don't wait for that promotion!

Start leading NOW... right where you are!

What's the number one question leadership expert John C. Maxwell is asked while conducting his leadership conferences?  "How can I implement what you teach when I'm not the top leader?"

Is it possible to lead well when you're not the top dog?  How about if the person you work for is a bad leader?  The an
Published January 8th 2006 by HarperCollins Leadership (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The 360 Degree Leader, please sign up.
Rob It refers to an individual in an organization who leads up, across and down. 360 degrees means in all directions. The book is great for those who are …moreIt refers to an individual in an organization who leads up, across and down. 360 degrees means in all directions. The book is great for those who are not at the top of an organization.(less)

Start your review of The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization
Peter Scholtens
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
It’s ironic that, according to some pundits, most leadership books are read by middle management. Finally we have a book that targets those in the middle, leading a little, being led, and sharing leadership with others.

In his usual polished style, Maxwell tells stories gleaned from business and leadership. He has gathered quotes from around the world and weaves them together to teach about leadership and success.

Maxwell begins by dismissing many myths about leadership. He argues that we need to
Theresa
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I feel like the type of person that would benefit most from this book is that jerk you know in Accounting who's full of himself, opinionated about everything, unable to connect with others, and always wondering why he never gets promoted.

For everyone else, it offers some helpful principles, but it's a bit outdated. Also it sort of felt like this guy was primarily speaking to other middle-aged white male Christian managers and wanna-be managers in non-technical fields. The examples and metaphors
Anand Kumar
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading “The 360 Leader” by John C Maxwell.

Many supervisors with leadership responsibilities think that because they are not the main leader - they cannot influence peers, subordinates or even bosses. Even if someone is reporting to someone else, they can use the three different skills of leading up, leading across, and leading down the enterprise. Once leaders can incorporate these principles into their own style of management, they will be able to influence others in every direct
Belindachaplin
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Leaders are found everywhere in an organisation and it is actually harder for people to lead from the middle of the organisation. John C. Maxwell's book showed me that even if I am not the main leader, I still need to be developing my leadership skills, influence and potential right where I am.

Leading in the 360° way means looking at yourself first, then how to influence your leader, your peers and finally (what we think of as traditional leadership) the people under you.

I started this book in
Mathew
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
I am not a fan of business self-help books. They make banal statements and reinforce crappy ideals that don't challenge individuals or businesses, nor do they get at the root of most individuals/business actual problems. Rife with sports and religious platitudes, this book is like all the rest: don't change a broken system; change your attitude towards the broken system and all will be well.
Kevin
Jan 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was over-exposed to Maxwell's writings in Bible college, so I stopped paying attention to his stuff for about a decade. It seemed like everything he wrote was just a repackaging of the same concept: leadership=influence.

This book, however, goes beyond that. It may be the most important book he's written since 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership. The main takeaway from the book is a reminder that not only is leadership not just a positional/title thing, but the majority of leadership happens from
Paul Kandavalli
The book “The 360 Degree Leader – Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization” By John C. Maxwell is one book that every person who is already a leader or ever wishes to lead must read. It shows anyone how to lead, regardless of their level in any organization. This book is not something that can be read and put away, but must be a reference for every leader or a future leader.

John Maxwell covered all the qualities and characteristics that are required by a 360-Degree Leader. A 3
Erica
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a quick guide to professional development that can be applied to probably any career. It was recommended by the Adjutant General for the OH Guard which is why I read it and I felt like it really applied to both my military career and my civilian career. This book is filled with good tips and advice for being a good leader.
Heder Dalazoana
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Maxwell had a lot of attention with the mid-level leadership. This book shows the importance of leadership in everyday situations and not just from top to bottom.
Loy Machedo
Jun 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Loy Machedo’s Book Review - The 360 Degree Leader by John C. Maxwell

I like reading the books by John C. Maxwell. His books are compact, condensed and concise. He follows the pattern of having a central theme and he expands on that theme with examples, quotes and logical steps – that if followed will lead to results.

True to his brand, The 360 Degree Leader is another contribution from his end. If I were to summarize the book, it would be:
1) The book serves as a guide to those stuck in the Middl
Tim Passerell
Great book covering all the keys to being a 360 degree leader. Applies to organizatinal leadership at work, community organizations, and in your family.

They say luck is when opportunity and preparedness meet. If individuals learn and apply these principles even when starting in the lower levels of a company, they can become a leader within any group of people and organizational department.

Leaders influence. People want to follow their vision or ideas because they believe in them and trust them b
Cristian  Morales
After reading The Psychology of Leadership all of these books seem like waste of time.

On this book John suggests people shouldn't wait until they get a leadership position to start behaving like a leader. He also gives a bunch of advise about how to positively impact others, being altruistic, controlling your ego, and being a good person.

I'm starting to get bored with this subject, but I happened to go on a rampage the last time I stopped by the bookstore, so I still have to read Managing in a
Debbie Howell
Dec 10, 2007 rated it did not like it
Not a big John Maxwell fan. I don't like that he's always referencing himself. Some of his principles are good, basic ideas for the workplace, I just didn't think it was a full book's worth, and I didn't find it so well-written that it kept me interested. His philosophy on church leadership is different from mine, so that probably taints my opinion of him. I think this could be beneficial to someone early in their career, just to get some smarts on maneuvering in a business environment, but I ha ...more
Ryan Nims
Sep 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: business-books
In my opinion, Maxwell is HIGHLY overrated. He has some valuable things to say, though other more secular non-fiction writers do it better; seem more grounded in business practices.

This is easily the worst business self-help book I've ever read; it is an exceptionally long marketing pamphlet for all his other books. For an author to reference past works once in a while is not a bad thing, and can add color and depth if one has read the referenced work. This book however calls out numerous refere
Jen
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: work-related
Yet another book I read for a course at work. I really, truly wanted to like this book. I'm a firm believer in the 360° feedback process and the whole "lead from the middle" mindset. I couldn't force myself to read the latter half of the book in its entirety. (I finished it, but I skimmed.) The book was ponderous; it felt like Maxwell was just writing to fill up pages, instead of actually trying to impart anything. I don't believe that I learned anything by reading the first half completely that ...more
Ramon
Aug 18, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Most of my books reviews will have this disclaimer. Most of the books in my library are audiobooks. I prefer audiobooks especially on long trips. I feel that if the book is that bad at least my time was not a complete waste. With that said I hated it.I know Mr. Maxwell is suppose to be some type of guru. Some of the scenarios do not work in business. He delivered it in a confusing manner. I couldn't wait to take it to Half Price books. I think I got $1.00.
Valeria Colesnic
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A quite great book about leadership, with step by step explanations and study cases from the author. In this book I found a lot of references that I heard in the speech of the famous romanian speaker (actually the best speaker in Romania): Lorand Soares Szasz (now I know where the brilliant ideas were taken from).
360 degree leadership is an amazing concept, that is to be used in order to achieve greater goals together.
I will re-read for sure and make my best at being the 360 degree leader.
Shaeley Santiago
How to lead from the middle, influencing those above you, your peers, and those below you. As always, Maxwell provides lots of lists along with descriptions and anecdotes to flesh them out. I found the story of General Marshall (after whom the Marshall Plan was named) to be a great example of 360 degree leadership.
Rockyjul
May 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
The advice in this book is really obvious and hokey. If it is not obvious to you, you probably will not be a good leader anyway. I also found it very irritating that he references his other (probably equally as hokey and obvious) books SO often. I think you would have to be very arrogant, greedy, or both to write such a book.
Andrew Stahl
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Leadership is action, not position.” Everyone wants to be able to influence other people. Whether it’s to get a better job, have more friends, garner more power, or amass more wealth, there’s limitless potential for inflence. Many people get stuck in a mindset of “when I get this, then I’ll get that.” When I get a better job, then I’ll be happy. When I have more money, then I’ll have everything I want. Similarly, people think that they’ll only be able to lead people when they rise to a position ...more
Brian Taylor
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have loved reading many of John Maxwell's books. This one however has been surprisingly chock full of nuggets that are worth going back over again and again. As he shares from his vast knowledge of leadership, he shares what it means to lead from anywhere in your business, church or organization.

What I love about this book is that it is broken down into three parts which are designed to help you know how to lead from the top down, the bottom up and from across the board. As John has stated, m
Brandy
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you like books about professional development, this is a good one to read because it focuses on a specific topic in depth and is unlike others I’ve read in the past. The overall concept is that you don’t need to have a title as a “manager” in order to be a “leader.” It has lots of practical information.

I liked the chapter about office politics, especially the comparison between people who rely on production versus people who rely on who politics. I also liked the chapter about rewarding peopl
Pham Linh
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Leadership is divided into 3 groups: lead your boss, lead your colleagues and lead your staff.
The most important thing of leader is named "influence". And the book teaches how to make influence on the others through creating values for the others as well as characteristics that people need to be a Level 5 leader.
I love this book but it also has a variety of definitions as well as rules to remember. So, it only helps me to reflect myself instead of remembering the rules and applying it into real
Bede Millner
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I found that for the most part this book was just pointing out the obvious.

Although some of the anecdotes, quotes and personal stories were interesting and relevant, I think a lot of them only added unnecessary content, and made the book much longer that it could have been. I feel a condensed version would be a lot punchier and more effective in conveying the message and teachings.

Lastly, the author is obviously a religious person/leader, and considering the systemic abuse of power, and atrociti
Sidong
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Leadership is about people. No matter it's dealing with your boss, your peers, or your subordinates, building relationships is the foundation. A good leader has great characters. One of the most important is servanthood. A leader is there to serve the organization and at the same time to serve people (developing their personal characters and leadership skills). A leader who puts people prior to him/herself will automatically attract people to follow.
A good book on leadership. It covers many det
Nick James
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great resource for Middle Management Leaders looking to accelerate their influence from the middle. This book has a ton of practical advice & motivation for anyone in the middle of an organization looking to improve their leadership skills. It is not very applicable for upper management or entry level positions. At times this book felt like a long list of famous “one-liners” from successful people with little to no content expounding upon the quote. I also found the points in this book to be a l ...more
Mechelle
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
We had to read this book for work. It is a great book for an office where people are willing to help each other succeed to get the office's mission(s) completed. It teaches you how to be a better person professionally without sabotaging co-workers as you progress upwards. It also teaches you how to be a leader, no matter where you are rank wise in the company. We were all hired for a purpose, and part of that purpose is to excel in our position so our supervisors and bosses do not have to microm ...more
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very good book with excellent practical applications and exercises. This is good for both people in the corporate world, as well as those that may work within their own businesses, but have need to interact with others to help achieve their goals. Definitely a worthwhile read. Completing the numerous exercises in the book will also help to cement the ideas and ground them in your mind. Also, there is a fantastic reference section at the end that lists a multitude of other leadership b ...more
Michael Hentrich
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a gem of a book on leadership. I've read a number of John Maxwell's books and have enjoyed them all for different reasons. This book really highlights the value of leading from within the organization vs leading from the top, which is what most people think of. He talks about how the most effective place to lead from is often from the middle, leading from all directions instead of just down. I learned a lot of valuable insights into what leadership can be and the potential of being in my po ...more
Roger
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a good instructional book concerning the basic values and principles of a good leasder, and emphasizes the concept that a leader is more than being a supervisor or manager and that anyone at any level of an organization can be a leader and distinguish themselves from the crowd. It was a bit idealistic and the author was somewhat prone to quote himself from other books that he wrote more so than other experts in the field but other than shameless self promotion, it was a pretty thought p ...more
Test X 360 contains only natural ingredients to get the job done 1 2 Sep 16, 2017 12:04AM

• Strengths Based Leadership: Great Leaders, Teams, and Why People Follow: A Landmark Study of Great Leaders, Teams, and the Reasons Why We Follow
  • The Power of Positive Leadership: How and Why Positive Leaders Transform Teams and Organizations and Change the World
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
  • The Leadership Challenge
  • Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance
  • Principle-Centered Leadership
  • Raising Worry-Free Girls: Helping Your Daughter Feel Braver, Stronger, and Smarter in an Anxious World
  • Influencer : The Power to Change Anything
  • It's Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy
  • ¡Basta de historias!: La obsesión latinoamericana con el pasado y las 12 claves del futuro
  • Cuentos Chinos: El engaño de Washington, la mentira populista y la esperanza de América Latina
  • Integrity: The Courage to Meet the Demands of Reality
  • The Speed of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything
  • Courageous Leadership
  • The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable
  • Now, Discover Your Strengths
  • Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision
  • The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more