Jump to ratings and reviews

Runes #3

Grimnirs

**The series number for this book is in chronological order. This is a full-length book of the "Runes" series**

Straight out of the psych ward, Cora just wants her life to be normal. She doesn’t want to see souls or the reapers collecting them. The guy she’s loved from a distance for years moves away without saying goodbye. So yes, she’s nursing a serious heartbreak. It’s no wonder love is the last thing on her mind when Echo storms into her life.

The chemistry between them is mind-blowing.The connection defies logic. Even better, the souls leave her alone when he is around.

Too bad Echo is the poster boy for everything she hates in a guy—hot, beautiful,and cocky. He is also a soul reaper. A Grimnir.
The very beings she wants out of her life. Maybe normal is overrated because Cora wants it all. Answers. Love. A life.

348 pages, ebook

First published November 27, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ednah Walters

40 books2,153 followers
Her award-winning, International Bestselling YA Paranormal Romance—Runes Series—started with Runes and has a total of 6 books to date. The last one, Witches, released in March 2015, was a Readers Choice Awards winner. Her most recent addition is Demons, A Runes Companion Novel (Eirik Book 1). Demons is the story of Raines best friend and former crush Eirik Seville.
Her international bestselling YA Urban Fantasy series, The Guardian Legacy Series, focuses on the Nephilim, children of the fallen angels. The series started with Awakened and has a total of 4 books to date. The latest Forgotten was released in June 2015.
She also writes Contemporary Romance as E.B. Walters-from The Fitzgerald Family series and Infinitus Billionaires series.

Whether she’s writing about Valkyries, Norns, and Grimnirs, or Guardians, Demons, and Archangels, love, family, and friendship play crucial roles in all her books.

If you enjoyed reading her books, please consider leaving a review. Reviews can make a difference in the ranking of a book.

To be updated on more Runes exclusives, the next book in Eirik's story, giveaways, teasers, and deleted scenes, join her newsletter.

For the discussion about the series, join her private page on FB: http://bit.ly/EdnahsEliteValkyries

or Stop by my website for a visit:

Or join the discussion about the series:

You can also find her on Tumblr,
Pinterest http://bit.ly/EdnaWPinterest
Instagram http://bit.ly/EdnahW-Instagram
 photo AllRUNEStitles2.jpg

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 286 reviews
Profile Image for Julia.
244 reviews1 follower
December 4, 2013
Look out Torin St. James! Echo has stolen my heart with his cocky mouth and sexy swagger in this Runes series installment. There I was meeting him for the first time and I could not get enough of him and still want more! Cora was great in this book, she caught on to things pretty quickly and made an awesome heroine. Unraveling the truth one puzzle piece at a time.

Cora is desperately trying to figure out how she can be in two places at once, wondering whether or not the Norns took her memories away and what the heck Echo wants from her. All the while Echo is right up her in her personal space, running his cocky mouth and doing his best to resist the pull she has on him now. When the week before her return from PSI, it was all fun and games.

As reader and fan of hers for the past three years her writing leaves me wanting more with every book she publishes. Ednah Walters knows how to keep her readers sitting on the edge of their seats. I always want to know but never expect what's to come next and she never fails to impress me. She knows how to grab your attention from the beginning and keeps you turning the pages to the very end. I ♥ Echo!
August 7, 2016
Books in order:
1. Runes - YA
2. Immortals - YA
3. Grimnirs - NA
4. Seeress - YA
5. Souls - NA
6. Witches - YA

I have read the first two books of this series and both were great reads. Wonderful story line that keeps on giving.
First of all, great plot and love all the characters. Very entertaining!! I was fascinated by the Norse mythology parts of the story.
Echo. Yes Echo.
Cocky, smart mouthed bad boy oh boy did I love Echo!!
He is such a good guy bad boy. He is a reaper, one of Hel's best, and he is very confident in himself.

ECHO

Ahh Torin and Raine together was so sweet extremely, bummed that Torin St.James isn't real :)

Torin

Raine

Cora She is a strong character who takes what is given to her and rolls with it the best way she can.

Cora

The two swoon worthy guys were expressed in the utmost detail that I felt closer to them in the end. Of course, the girl power energy by the female characters was just as intriguing
This is one of the best book series I've read so far can't wait to get started on the next book....
Profile Image for Jeannette.
257 reviews19 followers
December 6, 2013
This book gave me tingles in places I didn't know could get tingles! I was helpless but to fall under Echo's spell of hotness. Poor Cora fought a brave battle. But even the strongest willed woman would be a puddle goo if he was determined. I loved that even though this book focused on Cora & Echo we still got to see Raine & Torin as well. I was relieved to see some relationships resolved in this book. Ednah spared no delicious detail when creating Echo. She is the ultimate artist when developing the baddest of delicious man candy! In fact, if they ever make a "Build-a-Man" factory (much like Build-a-Bear) I'm dragging her with me. The story is just as amazing as Runes & Immortals. We're introduced to more Norse mythology, which I love. I can't wait to see what all these characters have in store for them when the next book comes out.
Profile Image for Sharon.
844 reviews
February 23, 2014
Review: 4 ½ out of 5 stars

Contains possible spoilers from the first books in the series.

As a huge fan of the Runes series, I couldn't wait to read Grimnirs by Ednah Walters, it was a fabulous addition to the series and leaves me anxious to read the next book in the series, Seeress.

Our main heroine is Cora Jemison, Raine’s amazing best friend who has recently had a stint in a mental institution; she now has the interesting ability to see souls and the arrogant reaper who collects them. Cora was a strong character, a few things have happened in her life most recently but she remained stoic and devoted.

Cora has had a huge crush on one of her best friends – Eirik but since he is MIA she is intrigued by the new, snarky, arrogant Grimnir who has entered her life and made quite the impact. Smexy Echo is a gorgeous badass with a fascinating yet heart breaking backstory which I enjoyed reading about, it softened him as a character; he was cocky and over-confident but he was also extremely loyal and protective when it came to Cora. Their interactions and their dialogue kept me entertained from the very first page.

The plot was fast paced with enjoyable action sequences and has moved the series along nicely. Cora is trying to piece together her time in the psych ward to her time now she is out but things aren’t making sense and time sequences are confusing her as well as new information she is receiving about her best friend Raine, the boy she had a huge crush on Eirick, Echo and also the Norns who may or may not have altered her memories. The premise is interesting and I enjoy Ednah Walter’s take on Norse mythology.

The writing is wonderfully detailed and kept me flipping the pages and eager to learn more; Cora and Echo made a fabulous couple and the multi-layered plot and world-building continues to develop, it’s a must read series that just gets better and better with each book.

The side characters are all brilliant! Marlina is the perfect villain, Eirik is coming to embrace what he is and Ingrid and Andris, who I find hilarious, played a bigger role. The interaction between all of the characters is done very well.

Overall, Grimnirs is a fabulous addition to the Runes series; with mystery, suspense, a swoon worthy and smexy romance and wonderful Norse Mythology it has left me eager for the next book in the series.

Books in order:
1. Runes
2. Immortals
3. Grimnirs
4. Seeress – April 2014
Profile Image for Stacey (Sassy Book Lovers).
552 reviews65 followers
July 16, 2014
Ednah Walters has done it again, another brilliant, amazing, exhilarating addition to the RUNES series.

I've been in a reading slump for months, I think I've read one book and was completely lost. I got the email about Grimnirs and was over the moon, I knew Ednah's work would help me get my reading groove back, and I wasn't wrong. I started Grimnirs yesterday (a few days ago now, lol) and have finished it today, less than 24hrs after starting, I was utterly glued to my iPad. I cooked dinner while reading, I rushed to get my 3 kiddies into bed so I could get back to the story. Ednah always leaves me speechless, I'm at a loss for words on how fantastic these books are.

Grimnirs is told from Cora's POV with a little of Eirik mixed in the beginning. It was different hearing from Cora and not Raine, but a good different.

Life's been different for Cora since the huge pool/lighting disaster and it's been hard to get things back to normal. Being sent to a psych ward isn't exactly a dream vacation, even worse the feeling of being abandoned by your friends, in the moment you really need them. Yeah, doesn't make things easier!

Not long after she returned home, she was out with her mother when she met a strange hooded boy who for some reason claimed to know her and in an intimate way. His name was Echo, he kept popping in and hot *coughs* I mean, "out" of Cora's life. From there things got even weirder but she also over time discovered truths about what was going on and what was happening to her. Feelings began to grow and strong connections formed.

We have our old and awesome characters back from books 1 & 2 and we also get introduced to a couple of newbies. Gahhhh I can't praise Ednah's writing skills enough, the feeling of being apart of the story is always there, it feels like you're returning to family not book characters. I've said it a thousand times but it's absolutely BRILLIANT!!!!

Move over Torin St James, you have a new rival...Echo! ;-) Ladies, both these boys will steal your heart. They have the ability to make you swoon like a girl in love for the first time. *sigh*

Damn Ednah, you sure know how to get a girl all flustered and lusting after book boyfriends!!! ;-)

This series is A MUST READ!!! Looking for something new and exciting? Something that will sweep you away on a mystical adventure, you'll make life long friends and probably close the book with a new book boyfriend crush. All this awaits for you in book 1, RUNES. Join the RUNES craze!!! ^_^

Profile Image for Carrie (Book Fairy) Fort .
758 reviews168 followers
December 4, 2013
Favorite Lines "Now I want to punch every Mortal that looks at you. I want them to know you might live among them but you are mine.”

“I don’t want anyone else to slay my dragons or chase away my demons. I want you to do it. With me by your side. I want to laugh, and cry, and fight with you.”

“I still want it. Wilted or damaged. It’s mine.” “Then you have it. And my dark soul. And scarred body.” “I love your scarred body.”

“I don’t believe that. I think you choose your path and shape your own destiny”

“Come back to Earth, or Asgard if you like, because you need to find that path and shape your destiny.”

Whew I can't imagine going through what Cora has been through and making it out with her mind in tack! A crazy crazy Immortal put ruins on her body and now she can see spirits! Not only that she pretended to be her while she was locked away in a crazy house. When Cora comes home from the crazy house a fine looking "reaper of death" or Grimnirs is in her room coming after her with a look in his eye that makes her knees goes weak. Echo talks to her like he knows her but, she swears she has never seen him before. She's so lost and confused. Nothing makes sense. Once she puts everything together she is thrust in a world of death, craziness, and magic. She finds out Odin is real, Thor is real and Eirik (a boy she had a huge crush on) is related to them!
Along the way she falls for the sexy Grimnirs. Can they be together? Ha YOU MUST READ IT TO FIND OUT BUT BELIEVE ME ITS SO WORTH IT!! I think Echo is my new favorite sorry Torin
I can't wait to see what the author comes up with next. I think we will see more of several of these characters and it's going to be a great ride!

I was given this book in exchange for an honest (AYWT)

FOUR GRIMNIRS FAIRIES
Profile Image for Ria.
541 reviews44 followers
August 13, 2014
OMG OMG its happened AGAIN!! Ms Walters is a bombarder of feels y’all seriously in your face frustrated elated angry hopeful mind blowing feels…too many to handle, I’m dying…

feels animated GIF

So Grimnirs is labeled a novella but let me tell you…FULL LENGTH AWESOMENESS!!! ;) This is Cora and Echo’s story and it kicks serious booty. Was it perfect maybe not, do I care NO! Why? because I was once again pulled into an amazing new world and I was able to sneak a peek at Raine and Torrin. Who wouldn’t want that?

Exactly

So as I was saying this one was a little bit steamier than the others BUT, way to keep it classy Ms Walters ;) Spoiler alert…If you haven't read the 2nd book, slap yourself, go read it, then come back. Now, as I was saying, Cora was in a mental institution and WHAT Maliina that awful witch took her place. Ugh I’ve got a place for my size 6 shoe and its where the sun don’t shine ;)

slap animated GIF

If I had to mention any negatives i’d say that Cora was a bit dim but regardless I loved her and though she didn’t find the answers that were punching her in the face I still have nothing but mad love for her.

fangirling animated GIF

There are more books to come and I cannot wait to get my hands on them!!

G-rind, Cora is back but she is afraid of what people will think about her time away.
R-ecognition, Echo can’t understand why Cora has been altered but he will do what it takes for her memories to return.
I-magination, seeing ghosts/ souls has become a new way of life for Cora if she plans on ever escaping the loony bin she needs a way to balance her normal life with these new abilities of hers.
M-emories, everyone keeps claiming a part of Cora’s past that she has no clue about. Sick and tired of the questions Cora will finally seek the truth.
N-emesis, being with Echo is the best thing that could have happened to Cora so she cant understand why he keeps pushing her away.
I-rritated, all of the half truths and missed discussions have taken their toll Cora wants to finally get the answers she has been seeking.
R-ealization, Cora always thought she was meant to love her life long crush, but giving away a part of her heart and her soul to someone else she knows she was always only meant to love this man.
S-urprise, those Cora has always come to depend on have changed and now all Cora can do is sit back and absorb the shock.

Wow like I was saying this was a perfect installment to an already kick Arse series! I loved reading this even though there were times I got angry with Cora and Echo and wanted to punch them. I realized then I could not wait to continue their journey and see where they would end up.

happy animated GIF

My Rating
4.0 PMI, Kicker, Echo, Doll Face, Sutures, Swim Meet, Vlog, Maliina, Eirik, Runes, Souls, Beautiful Hearts, Blending as One Love Filled Stars.
Profile Image for Kimber Wheaton.
Author 4 books249 followers
December 6, 2013
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Grimnirs is book #3 in the Runes series. I haven't read any of the other books, and I don't think that impacted my enjoyment in the least. This is an urban fantasy featuring Norse mythology which is rather timely with the recent release of the latest Thor movie. This story starts out interesting, pulling the reader in from the very first page. I will admit that I wish I had read the other books in the series and will pick them up when I have the chance.

Cora's memories don't quite mesh with what she's seeing. While she thought she was stuck in a mental institution, she was also at school acing tests, updating her vlog, and juggling three guys. She's confused, especially given the mountain of evidence that suggests it really was her in both places at once. Poor Cora, saddled with overprotective parents, friends who keep her in the dark, and a gorgeous guy she wants but who thinks it's chivalrous to deny himself the pleasure of her company.

Romantic interest Echo is a swoon worthy alpha-male. Something about the way Ms. Walters wrote his character really got my motor humming. The feelings he has for Cora are so strong and sweet. He's equal parts strength and wit combined with just the right amount of angst and heartache, all wrapped up in a delicious exterior. One word for Echo: Yummy.

The story is mysterious and fun; it's just really good from beginning to end. Ms. Walters does an excellent job building suspense about Cora's memory dilemma. I think my favorite part was the characters, the way they interacted and the dialogue. The ending was especially satisfying, which should send any reader to Amazon in search of more Ednah Walters books.

Grimnirs is an upper YA fantasy romance due to mature content and sexual situations. I recommend it to ages 17+. If you enjoy mythology, you'll love this novel. The fantasy is intriguing and the romance sweet, just the way I like it.
Profile Image for Jenette.
Author 1 book11 followers
December 10, 2013
I found this one completely frustrating. It was like wearing someone else's clothes, sure they're the same size but that just don't feel right. This one felt like the author simply indulging in a little bit of fanfiction. It's the same world, with the same characters we love but without any of the really good stuff. Whenever an author makes everyone a part of the otherworld (in this case immortals are popping up everywhere making things just a little bit tedious) it begins to feel a little less fantastical and a lot more ordinary. What happened to Cora was crappy but her ending up in a psych ward was real, it added an unfortunate and realistic message to the damage that this world can do to those Rain loves. Cora being affected by Rain's world but not being a part of it was powerful, giving her a (apparently) sexy Grimnir boyfriend (mate?) and giving her the chance to become immortal was tidy and tasted too much like happily ever after. It was heartbreaking the first time around when it happened to Rain and Torin but repeating it lessens the impact and makes it seem like everyone and their day old romance can find immortal love. It's tacky and undermines everything I felt Rain and Torin went through. I couldn't empathise with Cora or Echo's tough decision to love her as a mortal because it just never felt like there was any chance of their not being together.

While it made for an interesting enough filler between books, that's all it really was: filler.
Profile Image for Ellen .
779 reviews114 followers
December 10, 2013
The Runes Series is one of those series that kind of took me by surprise. I knew I loved Ednah Walters' Guardian Legacy Series, so I really wanted to start this one, but what I didn't expect was how much I was going to love it. In Runes book one, we meet Raine Cooper, Eirik, and Cora, and the amazingly hot Valkyrie Torin St. James, with his British accent, leather jack, riding a Harley, totally badass, and oozing with hotness. Raine and Torin's story continues in Immortals (Runes #2), and gets even better. I really didn't think Ednah Walters could top it, and when I began Grimnirs I was looking forward to it and hoping it would be as good as the first two books. Let me tell you, Grimnirs met and then surpassed my every expectation. I honestly think it is my favorite book so far. Grimnirs is Cora's story. I always liked Cora, but I really loved her in this book and so enjoyed getting to see a whole new side of her. On a hotness factor, I never thought any of the other characters could even touch Torin St. James, but OMG, I kid you not, Echo absolutely blew me away. Echo is a Grimnir (not to be confused with the Grim Reaper). He is as badass as badass can get. He's cocky, hot as hell (no pun intended), has a smile that will cause you to melt in a puddle, and can charm your pants off, literally. I'm not even sure if sex on a stick really does him justice. He wears a leather hooded duster and is decked out in leather from head to toe, and even has a scythe and everything. He's also crazy about Cora, fiercely loyal, and will do anything to protect her. There is a lot more to Echo that meets the eye and I really enjoyed getting to know him and his story. The chemistry between Echo and Cora is comparable to a lightning bolt, yes that intense, and I loved the romantic aspect of the novel.

We also get to see some of the other secondary characters we've come to know from the previous installments, Andris and Ingrid play a big part, and of course Eirik makes an appearance. II have to say that by the end of the book, I was so impressed with Eirik and the way he had changed. I cannot wait to read his story and see where Ednah takes his character in future installments. We also meet some new characters in this book as well.

If you aren't familiar with the series, The Runes Series is heavily rooted in Norse Mythology incorporating it into a modern day setting. Ednah Walters provides definitions at the beginning of the book for all the terminology and what it means, which is really a great asset. I have read several books dealing with Norse Mythology over the past year or so, and I have to say that I love Ednah's take on it and the way she ties it in with the present and blends it all together, better than anything I've read thus far. She does an excellent job of taking the paranormal aspect and mixing it in to a contemporary setting with some great romance, and provides an action-packed story that you won't want to put down. I was so happy to hear that she has big plans for this series, which include more of the secondary characters getting their own books, and we we will get to see more of Raine and Torin in SEERS, which is expected to release in Spring 2014. I can't wait. One other thing I wanted to mention is that this is labeled as a YA paranormal romance, and it is, but in my opinion, it also crosses over to an NA novel, so fans of both age groups would really enjoy this. Grimnirs has some of the steamiest scenes we've seen so far, and I absolutely loved that. If you are a paranormal romance fan, you'll want to check this out for sure, and even if you aren't, I think this is something that would appeal to you also. Great book, great series, and I most definitely recommend it.
Profile Image for Mlpmom (Book Reviewer).
2,976 reviews363 followers
December 8, 2013
I absolutely love this series and even though I knew this next book would not be about Torin and Raine I was eager to learn more about Eirik and of course to learn what happened to Cora during the second book.

I won't go into too much detail about that because I don't want to give any spoilers away for the next book but I knew that Cora's story had to be an interesting one and I wanted every juicy detail and also, if I am being completely truthful here, I just wanted more of the world Ms. Walters created because I can't seem to get enough of it and I will take what I can get, Torin or no Torin.

And just when I think I couldn't possibly enjoy this series more..Walters goes and throws another twist into the storyline and did I mention another hottie to drool over? Echo. Yes Echo.

Move over Torin, you have competition!

I should be hanging my head in shame. I mean really, another cocky, smart mouthed bad boy that I just can't resist? I really am shameless. But there you have it, Walters knows how to write 'em so you fall in love with them, arrogant or not. And oh boy did I love Echo!!

He is everything I would hate in person but everything I seem to love in a book boyfriend. I know, I know, I am a walking contradiction. I can't help it. I love the sexual tension they create, I love their possessiveness, the heart of gold buried deep down and that when they do finally love, it is full force unstoppable would do anything for you type of love.

I love that we got more background on Grimnirs, Valkyries, Immortals, Norns and even the gods. This wasn't a middle book syndrome kind of story. It packed full of action, romance and lots of answers to all those questions we had in the first two books and even though Raine and Torin weren't the focus of this one, they had big enough roles in it to sooth the loss of them not being the main characters. I love Cora even more now that we got this intimate glimpse into her life, her thoughts and her feelings. I already loved her as a secondary characters but she rocked as a main.

We also get a whole lot of Andris (who I am just loving more and more as this series goes), Ingrid and Lavina and while there wasn't as much of Eirik as I was hoping for (appearances at the beginning and end of the story mainly) I did get enough of him to know that I want a book all his own. I want more of his family history, background, his training and his powers. Not to mention that I want him to finally be loved by someone. I couldn't help but feel for him by the end of the story and want more for him.

All in all, this was a fabulous addition to the series and just proves that Walters knows what she is doing and she is doing it well. This is one series that I will continue to read until Ms. Walters has nothing more to write.
Profile Image for Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books.
500 reviews142 followers
February 1, 2014

Check out the blog tour, my post has an excerpt and a giveaway.
Click button to visit my post.

**No spoilers for this book only**

I absolutely Love this series. This book is told from Raines friend, Cora’s point of view. But don’t worry if you you’re a huge Raine and Torrin fan, as they are also in this book and play a big part in everything.

The main guy in this one, Echo is so sexy and hot, and all things yummy. He has that bad boy attitude down, and then he does show a sensitive side that I liked to see.

Over all this book was very exciting and on the edge of your seat suspense. I can’t wait for the next book for sure. This series is a must read for anyone who enjoys Paranormal Romance like I do. I love the Norse Mythology in this one, its interesting for sure.

Warning: If you did not read the previous books, then do not read below this warning, as there will be spoilers for it. It’s almost impossible to say anything about this book which is #2.5 in the series without possible spoilers from the other books.

I like that we learned more at what happened with Cora, as she does reflect back to her time away at the psyc ward, and how the evil Norn had taken her place in school, and even her vlog. She was very confused for sure seeing herself do vlog post while she was away.

I highly recommend and give this book 5 out of 5 stars. It’s on my favorites list for sure.

I received this book from the author for my honest review.

Be sure to check out the other books in this series.
Runes (Runes, #1) by Ednah Walters Immortals (Runes, #2) by Ednah Walters and coming soon I hope is Seeress (Runes, #3) by Ednah Walters

Profile Image for Rachelann.
152 reviews11 followers
April 6, 2015
Holy Shiza this book was amazing.

5 Incredible Stars!!!

This is not what I expected it to be. I was worried I wouldn't like it, despite it's awesome reviews from other people. I WAS SO WRONG! The author has me 100% hooked! In fact, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this whole dang series!

Where do I start?

The Story Line... hmph. This is why I was worried I wouldn't like it. I'm so obsessed with superhero movies, including Thor. When I saw that this book had Asgard in it, along with the mention of Odin, Thor and Loki... I was kinda like, NO GO FOR ME! I didn't want to read a story that would ruin the way I look at the comics. If you are like me and worried about that, DON'T! I promise you, the story line is completely original and AWESOME! I'm seriously in looovveee. In fact, the comic characters are simply mentioned... they aren't actually involved in the novel, aside from Odin.

THIS BOOK IS

The Characters... Um holy hell can you say HOOTTTT? Every fricken one of them is perfect, but not in an obnoxious way. The author does such a great job at making you fall in love with every single one of them. Everything about every character is flawless. I'm so impressed.
Cora is simply awesome in every way possible... I love her.

And JEEZ, Echo hit me like

The Writing... flawless! The imagery was intense. Everything was described so vividly. I fricken loved it. Everything, every person and every action was laid out perfectly for me!!! And the novel flowed so nicely. I had no problems with this book what so ever. It was a huge page turner. I never wanted to put it down. I felt like I was being a spaz reader.

Caffeine + This Book =

I don't know how long I'll be able to wait for the rest of the books! Dang paycheck!
Profile Image for Becca ~BS BOOK REVIEWERS~.
470 reviews7 followers
Grimnirs By Ednah Walters
Runes # 2.5

Grimnirs is the third addition to Ednah Walter’s Runes series. I fell in love with Torin St. James in the first book and bonded with Ednah following my review. Since then this series has been near and dear to my heart. I couldn’t wait for the next book in the series and fell in love all over again. So when Ednah asked me to review Grinmirs I quickly jumped at the chance.

Between the unique plot and the exceptional characters Ms. Walters keeps blowing me away. This chapter was unlike the other book in the series and has given the Ruins series the power that it needs to survive. I mean we all fell in love with Torin, but lets face it we needed more hotness in this series. Erick was good, then turned bad, and now is in limbo and the last book ended with a twist so what would be next? ECHO, that’s who! Echo, Echo, Echo, how I love thee.

I don’t want to give anything away (if you want spoilers see below) but this is a excellent series with characters and a plot you will fall in love with. So sit down, buckle up, and enjoy the wild ride Grimnirs will take you on!

To see the rest of this review check out my blog
Profile Image for Elizabeth (Stuffed Shelves).
530 reviews40 followers
December 6, 2013
One of my favorite male characters is Bones from Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series, and Echo reminds me of him. They have a very similar convictions and spunk. He's a character I was rooting for the whole time. The love that he has for Cora is sweet and dreamy, as well as sexy and steamy.

The incorporated mythology makes it all the more interesting. It had me up until the late hours of the night, flipping pages, wanting to finish just one more chapter.

I couldn't get enough of this book, and I really hope there is a sequel so I can follow up on everyone.

My favorite character would absolutely be Echo. He's exactly the kind of guy all the girls want to find. He's got enough bad boy in him, plus his sweet and caring side, you know he'd do anything to make Cora happy.

There was plenty of drama and conflict to keep the reader interested in finding out the end of the plot. Of course, there's a villain we all love to hate, and the good guys we are all eager to see save the day. The plot itself had enough mystery, that you were figuring everything out along with everyone in the book.
Profile Image for Tracy.
Author 5 books15 followers
December 26, 2014
This is Cora’s story. NOT the continuation of Raine’s. But it continues with the timeline, so it is next in the grand scheme of things. In this story you find out that Cora wasn’t Cora, but was in a mental hospital. Since “that night”, she’s been seeing souls and people who glow. And not only does she see them, but they KNOW she sees them. And this freaks her out. She doesn’t have a clue what’s going on with Raine’s life, but gradually gets caught up on that score. In the process though, she meets up with a Grimnir named Echo. Echo mistakes her for the imposter Cora, whom he had intimate knowledge of. So imagine both of their surprises when he figures that bit of info out! *sigh* Echo… it’s hard to articulate myself in...(http://textuallove.wordpress.com/2014...) Read the rest of the review behind the link.
Profile Image for TJ.
2,613 reviews149 followers
May 25, 2017
First, a great big warning should be given before any YA reader continues this here-to-fore clean (aka no graphic sex) series. There is semi-graphic sex scenes with an under-age girl. That is NOT cool in my opinion - especially when most who go into this book will be blindsided because the first two books held no such scenes. Make her 18 and consider it a NA or stay consistent with what you have already developed in this YA series!

Okay.. that being said, the overall story continues but from Cora's POV and experiences. I liked the story, just not sure if I like the entire switch back and forth between main characters. Will see as things progress.
Profile Image for Alisha.
923 reviews78 followers
May 20, 2016
Cora's just been released from the psych ward, and wants nothing more than for her life to be normal. She really doesn't want to see the souls of the dead, or the reapers that collect them. The guy she's loved for years, but who was dating her best friend Raine, moves away without saying goodbye. So she's nursing some serious heartache, especially as Raine never bothered to visit her when she was in PMI. Love is the last thing on her mind when Echo storms in to her life.

The chemistry between them is mind blowing, the connection is strong and defies logic. Even better, the souls leave her alone when he's around. Except oddly, he seems to think they knew each other really well, but she's never seen him before in her life, and keeps muttering about the Norns erasing her memories.

Too bad Echo is the poster boy for everything she hates in a guy- hot, beautiful, and cocky. He also turns out to be a soul reaper, or Grimnir as he prefers to be called. The very beings she wants out of her life. Maybe normal is overrated because Cora wants it all, him, answers, love...a life.

Okay, freely going to admit I had no idea this was a spin off from a series of three books. So yeah, I was kinda confused in the beginning reading it, but there was enough background presented, perfectly worded and concise, for me get the gist of what was going on, and it didn't take away my enjoyment of the book.

Considering I hadn't read any of the other books, it's a testament to Walters world building, and prose that I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and was sucked right in to the world.

The world building was exceptional and I loved the Norse mythology and how it was all throughout the book, you where immersed in it, and wanted to find out more. To me, knowing next to nothing about Norse mythology, the Grimnirs where unique along with the entire story. The prose was so fantastic, that even though I quickly worked out this wasn't the first in a series, I enjoyed it anyway, and could keep up with what was going on and what had happened. I was hooked from the first page, and the fast pace and smooth flow kept me glued to the pages.

I loved Cora, she was fiesty, she was strong, and she wasn't a push over. Even though she was kind of scared by her gift, she over came that to help the souls with their unfinished business, and she immediately became an incredible character to me. Each of the characters was well written, had plenty of depth, and came alive on the page, wriggling in to a place in your heart.

The plot was fairly intricate, with different threads to do with Echo, and then the whole thing with the impostor pretending to be Cora to get to Eirik and take him to his mother, there was the basis for a really good love triangle, but these aren't the main characters in the main series from what I can tell. I'm thinking there where some threads to do with the main series, and I'm sure this ties in to what happens in the third book or what might have happened in the second book.

I really loved this book it was so fantastically unique, I'd love to read the other books, but it might be a bit weird seeing as I read this first, and I'd really love to hear more from Echo and Cora, especially with what happened at the end! Maybe an entire spin off series? Although I have a feeling it was dealt with in the third book!

Grimnirs is incredibly unique, full of Norse mythology creating a fantastical world that you don't want to leave, and characters you fall in love with and don't want to leave. You can't stop reading because you have to know what happens next, and you don't want the book to ever end!
Profile Image for Jeannie Zelos.
2,789 reviews50 followers
February 20, 2014
Grimnirs. Runes Series. Ednah Walters
Review from Jeannie Zelos Book reviews.
Towards the end of last year I saw Runes for review, and as I love paranormal I thought about requesting it. Two things put me off, its classed as YA, and though I enjoy some well written YA I somehow thought it would be early teen YA ( wrong!), and I had a long review list at the time. I find it really hard to not request books I think I’ll like..... When I saw Grimnirs had the NA tag on, not just the YA I read the sample and was hooked. I so, so wish I’d asked for Runes too – its all the makings of a series I’d re read....and I’m long past the YA/NA age group!! Its a well written, sensual story with characters that feel real, despite of course being fantasy, and I loved them and the romance that developed( and hated too in the right places. All good stories need bad people IMO). When I’ve cash (hah..even reviewers buy books..) I'll certainly buy the rest of the Runes series.
Anyway Grimnirs. Its not necessary to have read Runes 1 and 2, though if you have you'll get a deeper impression of how everything works. Ednah includes a glossary of types of supernatural and their powers at the beginning, and armed with that I was able to get entranced and engrossed in this fabulous story. It slipped up the list a bit as I’d read several straight romances, and wanted a paranormal to balance things. I’m really glad I chose this book. At first I was as puzzled as Cora. Who was Echo – besides being a drop dead, gorgeous, supernatural who had the serious hots for her. ..she's been a month in a psych ward so why does everyone still think she's been at school, how did her work get done, and she appear on her vlog, and how on earth does Echo think they've been intimate often, when she knows she's still a virgin. There's some serious questions here, and as she learns more she understands why best friend Raine hadn't been to see her in hospital, something that had really upset her.
Its a riveting story, fits perfectly with the characters, has some really sensual and racy moments, and I really enjoyed the direction the novel took. I enjoyed the clever blending of romance, fantasy, adventure and danger. The heartbreak when Cora and Echo learn the truth, poor Cora, I really hurt for her, she understood Echo's words about their future, or rather lack of it, but found them so hard to accept. Luckily he had the same problem :) and I was rooting for something to happen so they could be together. It's got a fabulous ending which made everything work so well. Its got many of the Runes characters in it, though Echo is new, and I'm not sure about some of the others. I liked that although connected to Runes its a standalone also, and has a complete ending. Ednah has plans for more stories like this about other characters in the novel, and I’ll certainly be looking out for those. Its a book that will join my keepers file and is priced at £2.44 for 286 pages, definitely good value for those who re read novels as I do.
Stars: Five. Great read, and don't let the YA tag put you off, its good for adults too!
ARC supplied by Netgalley

Profile Image for Janelle.
120 reviews4 followers
April 4, 2014
**I received a free copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for my honest review**

Cora Jemison has just been to Hel and back…not the Hel you may think of, but her own person Hel…after seeing some of her swim teammate’s ghosts being lead away by angelic beings after the pool was struck by lightning and she starts seeing other ghosts after the tragedy at her swim meet, her parents of course become worried and take her to the doctor, and he convinces them to commit her a mental institution. And now that she is out, she will do ANYTHING to never go back there again.

So when she meets Echo, the tattooed man in leather who seems to be able to communicate with and take away the ghosts, she doesn’t know whether to be afraid or thrilled…especially since he acts like he knows her (intimately!!) and talks to her about her “job”. She is baffled, yet intrigued by the gorgeous mystery man.

After her brush with Echo (and more ghosts {SIGH}), she is more than ever ready to get back to her “normal” teenage life – by going back to school and her vlog she loves updating…but she soon realizes that everything she thought she knew about her so called friends (Eirik and Raine didn’t visit her ONCE through her stint at PMI – the institution she was at, and then she finds out that Eirik has left without saying goodbye…so much for true love). Since the Norms (who she can’t remember ANYTHING about, as they erased her memories of them) as still messing with her life, it’s like she never left – seeing as the evil Maliina (an Immortal Norm) has been pretending to be her while she was at PMI. When she finally forgives Raine (her BFF), she starts finding things out about all the oddities that have been occurring around her – from the mysterious and sexy Echo to why she is now receiving straight A’s and her beloved vlog has been updated, even though she can’t remember doing it herself.

Piece by piece, through the help of Raine, Torin, and Echo, Cora starts realizing what has happened, and why she can see ghosts. It all boils down to the evil Norn Maliina and the jealousy that she harbors toward Raine and all of those that are connected to her. Once Raine, Torin, and Echo reveal what and who they really are to her, Cora feels like her life finally starts to make more sense…as well as her attraction to Echo. Through it all, she learns she CAN count on her friends – and even Echo – to be there until the end.

I LOVED this bridge between Immortals and the soon to be released Seeress! I thought having a book from another’s perspective was brilliant – and showing the love story that Cora engages in did at times make me blush a little, but it was an intricate part of her final decision in the book – a love that reaches across all time and space. I cannot WAIT for Seeress to come out to see what else the Norms are going to throw at Raine, Torin, Cora, Echo, Eirik, and the rest of the Valkyries.
Profile Image for Ira.
687 reviews10 followers
July 17, 2017
Ich fand ja schon die anderen beiden Bände dieser Reihe ausgesprochen gut, aber ich musste feststellen - es geht immer noch ein bisschen besser! Man sollte aber definitiv erst die anderen beiden Bände gelesen haben, sonst wird man Verständnisprobleme bekommen.

Auch in diesem Buch stimmt die Chemie zwischen den Charakteren, die Geschichte selbst wird stetig weiter entwickelt und wartet mit immer neuen Aspekten auf, die das Ganze weiterhin spannend und interessant gestalten.

Haben in den beiden ersten Bänden Raine und Torin um ihre große Liebe gekämpft, so stehen nun bei diesem Band Cora und Echo im Vordergrund.
Echo? Ja, Echo. Echo ist ein Grimnir, einer der Seelensammler, der die Seelen der Verstorbenen einsammelt und in Hels Halle geleitet. Echo ist außerdem noch arroganter als Torin (was wirklich etwas heißen will), unwahrscheinlich von sich überzeugt und - tja, außerdem scheint er der einzige zu sein, der die Seelen von Cora fernhalten kann, die sie seit ihrem kleinen unschönen Intermezzo mit der Unsterblichen Maliina und einigen Runen immer wieder belagern.

Cora selbst hat es nicht leicht, eigentlich weiß sie, wo sie die letzten Wochen verbracht hat, bis sie feststellen muss, dass nichts so ist, wie es zu sein scheint und sie nicht mehr weiß, was wahr ist und was nicht. Und dann kommt Echo, der mit seiner Intensität und seinem unsteten und widersprüchlichen Wesen in ihr Leben einbricht und es auf den Kopf stellt. Doch schon bald muss Echo auf der Hut sein, weil nicht nur die Seelen Cora verfolgen...
Und dann war da noch Eirik, der ja ebenfalls in Cora verliebt ist - und der gerade in Asgard festsitzt, hinter dem aber auch die halbe (Unter)Welt her ist.
Gar nicht so einfach, das alles mit einem normalen High School Alltag unter einen Hut zu bringen, auch wenn man zufällig lauter mächtige und unsterbliche Freunde hat.

Wie gesagt, die Chemie stimmt wieder, die Beziehung zwischen Cora und Echo ist stürmisch, aber authentisch und, okay, wenn ich sage, dass es niedlich ist, würde mir Echo das vermutlich ziemlich übel nehmen, so ein cooler Kerl ist ja alles, aber auf gar keinen Fall "niedlich", aber ich denke, Ihr wisst, was ich meine.

Wer Bedenken haben sollte wegen der (gut geschriebenen und geschmackvoll dargestellten) "erwachsenen" Inhalte - es gibt auch eine "Clean Version" des Buches, vielleicht ist das ja sonst auch eine Alternative.

Spannend, fesselnd und dabei gut geschrieben, ist Grimnirs eine rundum überzeugende Fortsetzung der Runes-Reihe, die neugierig macht auf die weiteren Bände. Ich kann auch diesen Band auf jeden Fall empfehlen!
Profile Image for CARLA.
983 reviews40 followers
January 2, 2016

By far my favorite book in the series. I don’t know what it is about third books but they always seem to be my favorites. This book goes off the beaten path and tells the story of Cora, Raines BFF. Now Cora has always been my favorite character so I was real excited to read it. She has this gravitational pull on everyone who knows her. She is smart, funny and I love her Vlog.

Look, I’m probably going to go in to some spoilers but it’s the third book so what can you really expect?

The chemistry between Cora and Echo is off the charts people! Echo is an old soul, after being betrayed by his people he only cares about himself and what others can do for him. His cockiness and his take charge attitude are fairly attractive but it’s how he is with Cora that really made me fall for him. He finds himself truly caring about someone other than himself, and it’s like he is a whole other person. Sweet, gentle even and he puts Cora above everything, even his life. He reveals things about his past to her, he lets her in and trusts her when everyone else seems to be dodging her questions. Which is hard for him to do after flying solo for so long.

Cora is a bit overwhelmed at first with her reaction to Echo. She should be pinning over Eirik’s absence since she is supposed to be in love with him. But those feelings suddenly disappear when Echo enters her bedroom. You know what they say, out of sight, out of mind. She trusts him, they have great communication, which is a big deal for me. Poor Cora has to deal with some psych who she doesn’t even remember because memory wipe. And this is where the story takes a bit of a turn for me. The main plot took a backseat toward the end and I ain’t even mad about it.

The love story is the main focus of this book, and honestly the mythological plot was pretty weak in my opinion, but the love story made up for it. YA appropriate for 18 and up due to violence and some sexual innuendo.

This book is a side story of the runes series but I would recommend reading it in the order that I am to get the timeline right.
Profile Image for Stacy Sabala.
1,056 reviews3 followers
February 27, 2014
Book Review- Grimnirs by Ednah Walters

This is Cora’s story. Maliina took over her identity while she was in a psych hospital. Now Cora is back trying to figure out what has been going on. Her best friends were absent the whole time. She thought Eirick had feelings for her. She is so angry and hurt. Plus she is still seeing souls and doesn’t want to alarm her parents. She is not going back to the hospital. She has no clue what to do. Then she meets a grimnir named Echo and she falls head first into Raine’s new world.
Her world changes more as Maliina is determined to fix her mistake with Eirick. As a result of that mistake grimnirs are coming after Cora. Cora is mortal and doesn’t stand a chance. They want her as bait for Eirick. Echo, Torin and the Valkyries rally to protect her and Eirick.
As danger unfolds Cara is drawn to Echo even though at first he thought she was Maliina. The more she learns the harder she falls. He refuses to attach himself to her. He is bad for her and he knows he can never have her since she is mortal. There is no future for them.

I absolutely love this series. This book was fun to read. The characters were amusing and full of attitude. Echo was the bad boy but Cora was his weakness. It was sigh worthy and sweet to read about. They were a great pairing and I liked how the author developed their relationship. Cora was a strong and confident character. She held her own and showed her loyalty. It is an excellent story and addition to the series. I give it a 5 out of 5.
17 reviews
January 9, 2015
*I was kindly gifted a copy of Grimnirs to read in exchange for an honest review.*

This book is listed as #2.5 for the overall Runes series. I did not read the first two Runes novels prior to reading this and I do not believe it affected my enjoyment or my ability to follow along with the storyline in any way! While I do not find it necessary to read the previous books before starting this one to follow the storyline, I highly suggest starting from the beginning--you’re going to want to read the entire series for sure. I loved this book so much and I can’t wait to read all the other books in the series as well!

This is the first book I have read by Ms. Walters and I am happy to say that she will be on my To Watch list. I am very excited about finding an author with a writing style that effortlessly presents a world and characters I can’t help but grow a strong attachment to. When reading fantasy novels with teenage main characters I find that there is a trend of prolonging the storyline with immature acts and a failure of growth from their experiences that’s like pulling teeth. The character development in this novel is so organic, with each character being strongly written, that it makes it so easy to keep flipping through the pages, wanting to get even more.

Also, since I can’t write a review without mentioning it, Cora and Echo -- LOVE the chemistry, their story, interaction, dedication, dialogue, EVERYTHING. All I can say is if you read this book you will not be disappointed!!
Profile Image for Nickyrian.
613 reviews6 followers
March 14, 2014
After reading The Guardian Legacy, I have decided to follow Ednah's writings. She is very good on developing new stories and creating great characters. The action, romance, and sense of humor combined make her readers fall in love with the story. In comparison to cooking, she makes a very delicious dish. She makes sure that her audience will definitely enjoy reading her novels.

So, this book is Cora's (Raine's BFF) point of views. In book two, Maliina (an evil Norn and Andris' ex-gf) had etched a rune on Cora and cloned her while being treated in the psyche ward. She thought that she was crazy seeing souls. Eirik (a grandson of Odin) left for Asgard without saying good-bye to Cora. In this book, Cora felt deserted because none of her friends (Eirik and Raine) visited her while confined in the mental hospital. When she came home, a Grimnir (a soul reaper for Hel) was waiting in her room. It was Echo--the counterpart of Torin St. James. She thought she was dying at that moment. It didn't take long for her to learn the truth on what went down while she was in the hospital. She instantly fell for Echo since she saw the good in him even if he served the Queen of Hell. Then, all hell broke loose when Eirik came back from Asgard to claim Cora as his consort, and Maliina was back to cause more havoc. Hells bells!

I have really enjoyed reading this book. I can't wait to read book three.
Profile Image for Christina M Condy.
449 reviews14 followers
February 5, 2014
Cora is straight out of the asylum. After her parents death she can suddenly see ghosts. She winds up having a break down, but strange things are happening to Cora. Now I won't go into details here but suffice it to say her life is not as clear cut as she always thought it was. Cora is well written and an amazing character, but she isn't the only amazing character. Echo is a total love. He has such strong convictions, such character that you actually forget he is just a person in a book.

Add in that touch of mythology, and you have the makings of a fabulous story. I must say I was so very frustrated when the story came to an end. I wanted to keep reading. I actually came close to throwing my kindle (heaven forbid). I just was not ready for this story to end.

I loved the little twists and turns this book took. And I loved how the story progressed. I have to say this book is a great addition to any personal library, and I highly recommend this book. By the way, you should probably grab Runes and Immortals while your off grabbing this book.
Profile Image for Amber ⋒ .
165 reviews14 followers
February 8, 2017
And the awesomeness continues!
Here we go guys this book is from our beloved Cora's point of view. I will be honest, I missed Raine she is probably my favourite until I read this! I mean I still adore Raine but now I love Cora just as much, she is the perfect best friend! (if only I had a friend like her, my life would be so much more interesting haha). It was so nice to be inside Cora's head, to see who she is away from our other main characters and I must say it is nice that she's still the same strong Cora. I was not let down by this, I must admit this was the first series I have ever read where a few books will change points of view to a different couple in the story, I was worried it wouldn't work... turns out it was (might as well use my favourite word) PERFECTION! Ednah knows how to write an amazing story and make it different and yet intriguing. Again, I cannot wait to read more. I hope this series never ends!
Profile Image for Savannah.
65 reviews16 followers
August 8, 2016
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. In no way does this affect either my rating or my review.

I have studied Greek and Norse mythology since I was a child and first checked out both "D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths" and "D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths" so when I saw this series, I knew that I had to read it and that it was going to be fantastic; I was right. This book has it all; danger, adventure, romance, mythology, it has it all. The characters had substance and seemed like they could actually exist. The plot was deep and, at times, complex and the flow of the book ran very smoothly. The author obviously had to do some research in order to know the complicated culture and hierarchy of the Norse gods and goddesses and she did it well. I'm definitely going to be reading the rest of this series and also it's parent series. I highly recommend this book.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 286 reviews