Start by marking “Monica's Sister (Thomas Black #13)” as Want to Read:
Monica's Sister (Thomas Black #13)

Monica's Sister (Thomas Black #13)

In the thirteenth installment of the award-winning private eye series featuring Seattle sleuth Thomas Black, Black agrees to do a favor for a longtime friend of Kathy’s, Angela Bassman, who quickly gets him tangled in a messy relationship between philandering billionaire, Clark Lloyd Self and his famous ex-model wife, Monica Pennington. Bassman wants Black to help her disr ...more
Published August 6th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Monica's Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monica's Sister

Jeff Dickison
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this 4.5 stars if I could. This is a very good entry in the Thomas Black series (# 13). A bi-polar friend of Kathy's commits suicide and the girls' sister hires Black to find out what drove her to do it. Black finds plenty of clues but it takes him quite a while to put it together. Some parts are quite harrowing as black is stalked by a muscular killer and his crazy sidekick. Highly recommended to Thomas Black fans.
Donna Davis
Ah, it’s good to be reading a Thomas Black story again. Black is back with his lovely wife, Kathy, a good-hearted woman who makes some interesting friends. One of them is Angela Bassman, a woman who shows up all the time like a bad penny, making ridiculous charges against anyone and everyone, and bragging about having so many friends in high places, having done such fantastic things, that one is left rolling one’s eyes. And so when Thomas hears Angela’s voice approaching his office, he does what ...more
Sherill Leonardi
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
When Angela Bassman knocks on Seattle P.I. Thomas Black’s door, common sense tells him to hide. No matter that she’s one of his wife’s oldest friends and in dire need of help. At least that’s her version. Thomas’s version is that she’s, as usual, “bat-shit crazy.” With a healthy nudge from his wife, Thomas dips a reluctant toe into the tilt-a-wheel world of Angela’s troubled mind and is sucked into a power play of money and murder.
After a ten-year hiatus, Black is back. Packed with slick, smart
Wendy Ross
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another great Thomas Black story. With Seattle as the backdrop, Black investigates an apparent suicide and deals with his own regrets about his behavior towards the victim. As usual, Black knows his strengths and weaknesses and pushes just past his limits in his search for the truth. An interesting and thought provoking read. Recommend along with all the other books in this series and the Mac Fontana series.
Stacy Bearse
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
An entertaining mystery, irreverent and suspenseful. This thirteenth book in the Thomas Black series perfectly captures the damp, cool atmosphere of the Pacific Northwest. A good choice for that next transcontinental plane ride.
Trey
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Good to read Black again
David C Ward
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Too chaotic. The narrative is very jumpy as Black looks into the death of his wife’s friend who seems to have committed suicide. Only “seems” since she’s making accusations against her brother in law who’s a financial mogul. Black gets batted around and menaced. It’s never quite clear what’s going on. The bad guys overplay their hand with violence as per usual. Black feels guilty because he never really liked the woman who was bipolar and unlikeable. It’s absolutely unbelievable that she actuall ...more
Steven Allen
May 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-to-go, not-kept
This was a decent detective story by a local author. It is nice to read about familiar sights and scenes in a book that might help you connect to the characters some.

An ok read with some very compelling characters that are easy to empathize with. Some good action especially towards the end of the book. Character development and depth are really good in this book.

Some foul language, and mention of sex and some deviant sexual practices, but nothing overt or explicit.

I would not go out of my way t
John Stanley
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty good but nothing particularly special. A good story, well enough written, just nothing special.
Carolyn Wood
Tom
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Savvy
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Monica's Sister is an enigma of wily twists and blutterbunged deceptions!

I am new to the character of Thomas Black and so came to this novel with no expectations or preconceived images.

I thoroughly enjoyed the crisp, snappy, and witty style of Mr. Emerson’s delightful diction and tone. I don’t read much detective fiction, but I’ll certainly read another of the Thomas Black series!
There were some “laugh out loud” scenarios that were fresh and quite clever!

The characters, flawed as most were, em
Quillracer
I like Earl Emerson’s writing. Of all of his books I’ve read, I only recall that wasn’t up to par. I liked this series from the beginning. Thomas Black is the kind of Everyman hero that I enjoy reading about.

For that reason, I kept looking for the next Thomas Black book after 2009’s Cape Disappointment. I also wanted another story because that book ended on a semi-cliffhanger that implied some danger loomed ahead for Thomas and Kathy. But nothing appeared – not even a stand-alone – and I began t
Sandra
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a haunting book. It leaves you sad and mad and wishing things could be taken back. Monica's Sister is a story of the life of a good woman, with so many issues that it feels real. Monica's Sister, Angela has tasked Thomas to "finish her work". And with that Thomas is left to figure out what's truth and what's a lie. I really liked this book. It will be hard to forget. Only thing that didn't resolve for me was Angela's friend, who was in nursing care. I wanted to hear that Thomas had ...more
Pam
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I should have stopped reading at #12
Dennis
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good read though not as compelling as some of the earlier Thomas Black stories.
TJ Robbins
May 20, 2016
Paul Bombach
Jan 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Earl Emerson is a lieutenant in the Seattle Fire Department. He is the Shamus Award-winning author of Vertical Burn, as well as the Thomas Black detective series. He lives in North Bend, Washington.