Start by marking “My Heartache Cowboy (The Cowboys, #2)” as Want to Read:
My Heartache Cowboy (The Cowboys, #2)

My Heartache Cowboy

(The Cowboys #2)

Can love conquer all?

Jimmy Rafferty and Eddie Molina go way back at the J-Bar ranch. They’ve worked together, bunked together, camped out, and drank together. So how has Jimmy failed to notice that Eddie is gay? Eddie has not failed to notice that his friend has a serious drinking problem, and he’s determined to help Jimmy kick the booze cold turkey.

Taking him up to a sno
Published January 21st 2014 by InterMix (Penguin Group)

To ask other readers questions about My Heartache Cowboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Heartache Cowboy

Ami
Aug 19, 2013 marked it as my-issues-not-yours
I discovered that this story introduced (view spoiler).

It doesn't sit well with me, especially since (view spoiler). So I'm not going to continue reading it. I'm not going to try finding out how it happens. Others might not find this as an issue at all. Maybe the reason will be VERY convincing and rational. Maybe it happens quickly. Maybe it's essent
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

This is a beautiful follow-up to My Cowboy Heart about two real-life cowboys who are good friends and working companions on a ranch, but don't know each other as well as they think they do.

Eddie is gay but doesn't talk about his personal life with Jimmy, certainly not when Jimmy acts like a homophobic ass. (Jimmy's downhill spiral is showcased in the first book.) Jimmy really struggles with his past and feelings. He's insecure about not being book smart, and the bottle has become his
Kaje Harper
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, favorites
4.5 stars. I enjoyed the voice of the narrator a lot. Jimmy is in his late thirties, a hard-drinking cowboy whose life has tipped over the edge into unsustainable alcoholism, when the people he depended on for stability began to change around him. An out gay cowboy arrived on the ranch where he works, and his boss fell in love with the man and came out. The ranch owner died. The future of everyone around him is up in the air. The upheaval has also dredged up his own long-hidden sexuality and his ...more
DaisyGirl
2.0 Stars

I'm going to try and explain this in a way that makes sense. I loved Ed; I liked Jimmy; I hated Don; I loathed Tanner. I wanted to like this book but I simply didn't. It wasn't bad, per se. It just wasn't my cuppa for a few reasons: (view spoiler)
CrabbyPatty
Model #5
This. This is the book that dragged me, kicking and screaming, into the world of M/M/M romance. Honestly, I'm still not sure if threesomes are in my literary wheelhouse, but within the context of this story, it works beautifully.

Please note this book can be read as a stand-alone, but I strongly suggest reading My Cowboy Heart first to get the full emotional impact of Eddie and Jimmy's story, which runs concurrently.
couple
Jimmy and Eddie have been a couple for 15 years, what with living together, work
Vanessa North
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh, i liked this so much--and so much more than the first one!

I enjoyed the first cowboy book, but didn't think I'd read the second, because cowboys aren't really my thing, blah, blah, et cetera...Then i read the excerpt, and something about Jimmy appealed to me, so i preorderd this one.

I am so glad I did. Yes, at times it is preachy--way preachy. At others it's smoking hot. At still others it is despondent. But there is this thread of hope through the whole thing, this brilliant connection bet
Tina

“Home is Ed. Can’t lose that, not now when I finally know what that means.”

I loved the first book in the Cowboys series and I couldn’t wait for this one to come out. In My Cowboy Heart Eddie and Jimmy were a part of the supporting cast and it was crystal clear that their story wouldn’t be an easy ride in the sunset. Jimmy was rude, disrespectful and constantly drunk. He pretty much hurt and offended everyone around him, especially the people closest to him. Eddie on the other hand was such a l
Eli Easton
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
As usual for ZAM, this is a well-written book that kept me engaged from the start. I didn't love it as much as I loved "My Cowboy Heart", mainly because the themes were ones I don't typically read--alcoholism and some menage action. Nevertheless, the main love story was strong and sweet and I loved the last quarter of the book especially. ZAM is a sure-fire auto-purchase for me. Recommended.
Gaa-chan
Gina
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a winner! This story had a sprinkling of a lot of elements I like in my reads. It had menage (oh yeah), emotional conflict, struggle, characters that grab my heart, and characters i just want to dislike at times. And of course a writer that knows how to keep me interested and following along.

In this story is Jimmy and Eddie are long time friends who work together at the J-Bar ranch. We met these two in the first book in this series My Cowboy Heart, (an excellent read btw). In the first
Debra
I really enjoy ZA Maxfield's writing and this one was no exception. Different in tone from My Cowboy Heart, this picks up the story of Jimmy and Eddie basically where it left off in the first book, but it can easily be read as a stand alone.

Although Jimmy and Eddie have been friends and coworkers for many years, the two don't know each other as well as they should. Both have kept secrets and all of it will come out as Eddie helps Jimmy through a forced alcohol detox. Eddie's old friend and lover
Blue Bayou .
Jan 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
(view spoiler)
JR
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any one who loves life
This was better than I could have hoped for. The second in the series made my heart hurt for the sadness, misery that Jimmy Rafferty goes through on his journey of self realization,

Hard lessons are given, heartaches abound, when Jimmy is forced to undergo alcohol rehab by his friend Ed Molina. Ed has been his ranch buddy for 15 years. They have shared all the joys and woes of ranching life. Now Jimmy has to undertake the hardest admission of his 38 years. He's an alcoholic and he's gay. Talk
John The Cosmic Wanderer
Feb 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
This would have been great if there was less Don and more of Jimmy and Ed. The romance just died when Don came into the picture.
★ ☆ Booksaholic ★ ☆
Sandra
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was fawesome!!! The brother's name was inconsistent though (Jonas, Jonah, Johan), but Jim's voice sounds real and gritty and true, and I loved seeing him finally pull his head out of his ass and face the truth. He and Eddie have a great journey, and this was a pleasure to read. Full review soon on my blog.
Izzy
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a standalone novel but the reading experience is probably enhanced by reading ‘My Cowboy Heart’ first. However, I had not when I read ‘My Heartache Cowboy’. This meant I came to this novel with no preconceived notions other than that I had always enjoyed this author’s work. I do love a cowboy story and usually like my cowboys buff, young and hot. You know the thing, angsty story incorporating hot sex and HEA. So when I started reading this novel, I feared I might be disappointed. The maj ...more
Natalie
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I'm really excited about this one!! Happy Eddie gets his own story! :D

I was really looking forward to this story and seeing Eddie get his HEA but having learned it has some ménage elements in it, I'm going to skip it :(
Katharina
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cowboy, contemporary
4.25

There are stories out there that you start reading and then you look up and you notice it's been almost four hours and if you don't get off the train right now, you might end up in a place you never wanted to be.

This series holds such stories for me. My Cowboy Heart and My Heartache Cowboy both find all the right notes. Their protagonists aren't brilliant. They aren't pretty beyond belief. They aren't perfect. I love them for it.

This story isn't easy. Jimmy is an alcoholic, and even if he c
Pjm12
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved the consistent voice that Maxfield builds for Jimmy: Bewildered and bereft for the majority of the book, yet so vulnerable and aching for touch and love and home.

I sympathize with Eddie and I accept he wants to do the right thing for Jimmy, but he came across a little distanced... Also (view spoiler)
Simon
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This, I preferred to Book 1 in the series. Book 2, "My Heartache Cowboy" is very different. Narrated in the first person by one of the main characters, it reads more like a diary of alcoholism and the fight within the character to remain in control of his drinking and in so doing, win the man he comes to realise he has always loved. This realisation was the eureka moment to this story and the point at which Jimmy realises that he is actually an alcoholic.
The three-way sex threw me somewhat (wasn
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.1 Stars

Damn, ZAM just has a way with broken & imperfect characters that really does emphasize personal growth, the self-acceptance/awareness. I was all set to keep on disliking Jimmy...and then she went and made him real, made him human. Should have known I was doomed from the start.

And, OMG as much as I hated Eddie and Malloy kind of forcing that whole sobriety situation on Jimmy (informed consent is a big deal for this kind of thing), I really really hated to see him have to start over.
BR11
This is a different love story. It's not your typical mm romance. I resented it a little at first but then I didn't. The author spinned the story in such a way that I ended up understanding that that's what worked for them.
Even if the alcoholism problem was kind of 'cured' by love, I enjoyed Eddie and Jimmy's story a lot.
Recommend.
Christy
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, on-my-kindle, arc
I have been on pins and needles waiting for Jimmy and Eddie's story. From the moment I finished Crispin and Malloy's story and had seen Eddie load Jimmy's drunken ass into his pickup and head off for a hard core detox adventure, I was positive that book two in Z.A. Maxfield's 'The Cowboys' series was going to be amazing. I suspected this book, with its focus on alcoholism and seriously repressed sexuality issues, would be filled with drama and angst. I've put my faith in this author's w
Mandi Schreiner
Nov 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, m-m
I DNF’d the first book in this series but I’ve liked this author in the past so I thought I’d give this one a try. This series focuses on gay ranchers and that appeals to me so much! But I’ve come to the conclusion this series is just not for me. I set this book down around the 55% mark and had no desire to pick it back up.

The beginning of the book worked pretty well for me. Jimmy and Eddie have been friends and bunk mates at the ranch they work at for quite a long time. Jimmy realizes right at
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Source: eARC for Honest Review via Penguin Intermix via NetGalley

This book is part of a series but I read it as a stand alone and didn't feel that effected the story what so ever. Now for some reason in the closet cowboys always go straight for my heart.

For poor Jimmy Rafferty he is so confused about what he truly wants that he hits the bottle pretty fierce.

Jimmy is Eddie's best friend and he doesn't want to lose him so decides to basically kidnap Jimmy to get him clean.

Along the journey Jimm
Kristie
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Please tell me there will be more books about these boys. My Heartache Cowboy broke my heart so many times. I love Eddie and Jimmy. I even managed to start liking Don by the end. Jimmy's internal monologue was heart wrenching and depressing. I wanted to grab him and hold on forever. The poor man needed it, let me tell you. I loved it.
♥J ♥
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, favorites
OK so book 2 is heavy. It's about alcoholism and forgiveness. Despite all that, it was sweet, it was sexy and it was a really strong story. I loved these 2 men. I loved their journey. The story itself takes place around the same time as the first book, from when Eddie drives off with Jimmy.
A beautifully written book and I hope there is more in this series. Maybe Don next?
Stella ╰☆╮╰☆╮
I'm really loving this series. this second book was well done and addictive as the first one, I missed the strong chemistry between MCs, but Jimmy's journey was really beautiful. most of all their story felt real. can't wait for the next one!
A Million More Pages: 2 - My Heartache Cowboy (The Cowboys): Feb 20 13 21 Feb 28, 2015 06:50PM
  • Let it Ride (Pickup Men, #2)
  • Unbreak My Heart (Unbreak My Heart, #1)
  • Love, Like Water
  • A Wild Ride (The Bullriders, #1)
  • My Only Sunshine
  • Leaving Home (Home, #4)
  • Cowboy Waltz (Hawkins Brothers/Quinten, Montana related)
  • Cowboys Down
  • Three Traders (Falls Chance Ranch #2)
  • Chaps and Hope (Mossy Glenn Ranch, #1)
  • Crooked Tree Ranch (Montana, #1)
  • Cowboys Don't Come Out (Cowboys Don't, #1)
  • Conner's Courage (Whispering Pines Ranch, #4)
  • Outlast the Night (Lang Downs #3)
  • Riding Tall (The Fall, #2)
  • Worth the Coming Home (Love's Value, #1)

The Cowboys (5 books)
  • My Cowboy Heart (The Cowboys, #1)
  • My Cowboy Homecoming (The Cowboys, #3)
  • My Cowboy Promises (The Cowboys, #4)
  • My Cowboy Freedom (The Cowboys, #5)