Start by marking “Genesis (The Colony, #1)” as Want to Read:
Genesis (The Colony, #1)

Genesis

(The Colony #1)

FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THINK YOU KNOW ABOUT ZOMBIES.

In under 10 minutes, 99.9% of the world's population will be dead… or changed. Conversion is instant. Headshots just make them angry. And they’re getting smarter.

Ken Strickland has made it through the first moments. But his family is still out there.

Can he survive? Can he find them? Or will he become one more of the
Published August 16th 2013 by CreateSpace (first published August 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Genesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genesis

Start your review of Genesis (The Colony, #1)
Kimberly
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
I have been following Michaelbrent Collings since I first picked up his novel The Haunted. Since then, I've been devouring everything I can that he has written. It's an incredible treat to find an author so consistently "unique" in his story lines. That being said, I was a little hesitant at first at starting THE Colony: Genesis, only because of the fact that it is the first of a series. I groaned mentally, thinking of months/sometimes years of waiting for a storyline to be continued. When I ...more
The Behrg
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I like my zombies with a side of insects ...

Michaelbrent Collings has certainly created his own signature style when it comes to the genre of horror. Fast, shotgun writing with action on every page and a cliff hanger on every other. What I most appreciate about his approach is that he pushes things one step farther than you might expect, leaving one final twist ending you didn't see coming or tacking on another layer to a story where other (lazier) authors might have stopped short.

The Colony
Misti
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So this was book 3 from the Ultimate Undead Collection: The Zombie Apocalypse Best Sellers Boxed Set. This was certainly a very quick read with non-stop action from about the 1st page. I appreciated this since I don't like it when the Zombie action doesn't really get going until halfway through the story. I'm not too crazy about how short this was though; it's not exactly a complete book but part 1 of a 7-book series! I never would have bought it based on that if it hadn't been part of this ...more
Stephanie Durrant
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kymberly Jeffrey and Carol Blanks
Recommended to Stephanie by: Amazon Kindle Store
After reading Collings book Apparition I knew I would have to read everything he has written. I downloaded this one of Amazon and read it in hours I was so engrossed in it I could not put it down. Best Zombie (?) like book I have ever read. He goes in to such great detail that you really get drawn into the book and I could feel my heart races as the main characters run for there lives and try to stay ahead of everything that seems to be falling to pieces around them.I can't wait for the next ...more
Amy
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've never read a zombie book before, except World War Z, which doesn't count. This book was fast paced and I couldn't put it down. 244 pages of a story that spans 6 hours of Ken Strickland's life. As a fan of horror it takes a lot to scare me. This book is the first in my adult life that scared me enough to keep me awake at night.
Brandie Lea Slicer
A different kind of zombie ride!

This story doesn't let up! From page one I was riveted and I've read a lot of zombie lore! The fact that one of the characters is searching for his wife with three small children struck particularly home with me. Years ago when I was pregnant with my third child, I had lucid dreams...and nightmares. Many of them were about me trying to survive the zombie apocalypse with three children instead if two. Of course my husband blamed my reading and film choices. He was
David Dalton
First off, I received this book free from the author. I responded to a posting on Goodreads for the 2nd Colony book: Renegades, and I ended up with both books I and II.

That said, I really did enjoy this thriller. If you have seen my reviews since March of this year, you know that I LOVE to read zombie books. However, even for me I now feel there are too many zombie books out there. I now have the luxury of picking and choosing which zombie books I WANT to read. When I saw the offer to read a
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
First book I have read/listened to from the Author. So I was pleasantly surprised by the story and really enjoyed it.

It always nice to see a twist on the whole zombie thing. Felt more alien based. But again you don’t really know, because the characters don’t know. Also, the whole kill zombies in the head thing was a nice twist.

(Disclaimer: I received a free copy from the Author. Does not affect my review)
Nigel
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rather a unique book to review especially as it is my first exposure to Michaelbrent Collings. I didn’t know what to expect, and there were a number of things that surprised me. The first of these would have to be the chronology of the book. All of the action appears to take place over a very few hours at the beginning of an apocalyptical event. I have read many books over the years but I am struggling to remember many (if any) that took place over such a short period of time.
Secondly there
A.R.
OK, that was a quick reading. I got through the book for 3 and a half hours.

It's not a bad book but:
The whole thing shouldn't have taken more than three scenes to be completed. There is a lot of repetitive action and almost no dialog.
It goes like this: a guy witnesses the beginning of a zombie apocalypse, runs, meets 3 other people, cuts off his own fingers, gets to his home and finds his family gone. The end.

Now, if there were more about the characters or any hint of what had happened or why
Ian Walker
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A high energy, fast paced and slightly annoying race through the apocalypse.

I say slightly annoying because of the author's decision to make chapters of one or two paragraphs, most with a minor cliffhanger. I could see this becoming tiresome if continued throughout the series. In such a fast paced, horrifying tale one usually needs at least one respite.

Having said all that, it is a compelling story with realistic characters in dire, outrageous situations which kept me turning the pages. I shall
Dan Earl
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Page Turner

A great page Turner. Probably won't go down in the annals of history as one of the greatest novels of all time, but for what it is, it is great. Lots of good gorey fun. I started reading it casually and ended up finishing it in a couple of hours. The only reason why it didn't get a full five stars is the "and then he heard a scream" chapter endings got a bit tedious after 20 chapters. Definitely a great choice for a rainy afternoon.
Christine Bishop
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Zombie Read!

If you need a good zombie fix then this book will do it. These are not traditional zombies their fast, their smart, they seem to move in groups, and head wounds don't kill them it just makes them mad. This book is the 1st of seven and ends in a cliffhanger. 4 stars!
Debbie Lawrie
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
So far it is everything you come to expect from a zombie apocalypse story. I feel a little let down by the predictable path this is leading us down, however, I will continue to the next installment in the hope it brings something different to the table.
Rusty
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun read, seat of your pants zombie story all the way through to the giant cliffhanger at the end. I definitely want to see how the story ends. Loses a point for not being super original and because I was put off by Ken's view of being a teacher as a horrible life choice that he was forced in to.
Craig Daniels
Michelle
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not your average zombie apocalypse

Holy hell, I did not want to put this down. The short chapters make it feel as fast-paced as the action in the story. Great writing, action, and characters. I need that second book, NOW.
Phillip Clark
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun litte read, looking forward to getting into the rest of the series.
Glenn Hammer
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
a good quick moving story.
David
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Non-stop action on literally every page lol
Abhi Mohan
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
It's okay. But the writing style got to me after a while. The entire plot of this book can fit into like, 2 paragraphs. If you're a patient reader who doesn't mind A LOT of detail, go for it.
Leo
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow, what an awesome book. Fast paced, action packed... Very different view on a zomby apocalypse.
Matthew
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars is my actual rating. Believe it or not, this is only my 2nd foray into zombie fiction with World War Z being the first--and this had a COMPLETELY different feel from that. Genesis is a more action based tale whereas World War Z is more intellectual. As Genesis is, it's fun if thin. There are 5(!) more parts to this series and I plan to read one more to see how Mr. Collings expands on the characters and the world.
Kaisersoze
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Full disclosure: I received a free kindle edition copy of The Colony: Genesis from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I think most fans of horror would agree that books about the zombie apocalypse are far from rare. Less charitable individuals might suggest the market has actually been inundated with too many zombies handing out the smackdown during too many end of the world scenarios. The worst part about this proliferation of zombie novels is that they pretty much follow the
David Watson
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Giant insects on the windows, planes falling from the sky and students trying to eat each other. This is what teacher Ken Strickland has to deal with as his world falls apart in less than 10 minutes. Half the world's population has been turned into zombies and most of the other half were bit and turned, so 99% of humans have perished. There is not much hope for Ken but he is still alive and determined to see if his family has survived.

The Colony: Genesis by Michaelbrent Collings is the beginning
Makenzy Bernal
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! It has many twists and turns. If you are looking for a deeper meaning to a book and lots of action then this is the book for you! There are so many diffrent zombie books out there and this one really hit the spot, The fact that it is a series and it ends on a cliff hanger on every book is amazing and it had me itching for the next book in the series. This book has a lot of humor which is nice to help lighten the dark mood to it.

I will admit that I was skeptical because
Sunshine✰✰✰
This was great! In a matter of minutes, half the world turns into zombies, from what(?!), we don't know, but then, a matter of a few minutes more, they attack and kill/infect the rest of the population.
This book is so fast paced. The MC's never have a chance to rest. These freaky zombies are getting smarter and pair that with their strange behavior, and you get the scariest apocalypse ever!

I've been looking at Michaelbrent's books for a while and this is the first one I've picked up.
AudioBookReviewer
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My full The Colony: Genesis audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

The Colony: Genesis is the first book, novella or whatever you want to call it, in a huge undertaking by Michaelbrent Collings. He says himself that the series is panning out to be half a million (500,000) words, which could be translated to approximately 50 hours in audiobook. The Colony: Genesis starts off with a bang. All of a sudden everyone is going, what looks like, insane. Attacking each other, running around
Paula
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Colony: Genesis, What a refreshing read, This is the first of a series and if this is any indication of what’s to come, count me in! Michaelbrent Collings is a brilliant bestselling novelist and screenwriter. Author to the likes of The Haunted and Darkbound, he doesn’t disappoint.
The story opens in Boise, Idaho where Ken Strickland a high school teacher is overseeing his students, taking a test. 10 minutes into the test, the world is forever changed. It begins with bugs. Bugs everywhere,
Jo Schneider
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
The story idea for this book is very cool. There's some sort of insect/zombie apocalypse going on, what's not to love about that?

I wish I would have known that the POINT of this book was to show only 6 hours of the beginning of the end of the world. It would have made reading it a little less annoying. Things moved even faster than I like them too (and I love action) and I never felt like I got to settle into the story. This, I believe, was the author's intent. Which he didn't state until the
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Zombies!: Bram Stoker Award 6 13 Jan 21, 2014 01:31PM

• Empty Bodies (Empty Bodies #1)
  • Point of Impact (Nuclear Dawn #1)
  • The Last Survivors (The Last Survivors #1)
  • The Upheaval (The Survivor Chronicles, #1)
  • Bishop's Honor (Surrender The Sun #1)
  • Afterburn (Next, #1)
  • Run from Ruin: A Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Thriller (Final Update Book 1)
  • Breakdown (Dark Road #1)
  • The Last Escape (The Last Survivors #2)
  • Fire
  • The Last Humanity (The Last Survivors #3)
  • Wasteland (Surviving The Evacuation #2)
  • The Last Refuge (The Last Survivors #5)
  • The Last Command (The Last Survivors #4)
  • The Last Conquest (The Last Survivors #6)
  • The Long Fall (The Long Fall #1)
  • Legion (V Plague #19)
  • Dead Woman's Journal (Between Life and Death #0.5)
Michaelbrent Collings is an internationally-bestselling novelist, multiple Bram Stoker Award nominee, produced screenwriter, and one of the top indie horror writers in the United States.

He hopes someday to develop superpowers, or, if that is out of the question, then at least to get a cool robot arm.

Michaelbrent has a wife and several kids, all of whom are much better looking than he is (though he

The Colony (8 books)
  • Renegades (The Colony, #2)
  • Descent (The Colony, #3)
  • Velocity (The Colony, #4)
  • Shift (The Colony, #5)
  • Reckoning (The Colony, #7)
  • The Colony Omnibus (The Colony, #1,2,3)
  • Buried (The Colony, #6)
“Some of the desks still had people sitting at them. Bloody, broken.  But still there.  As though even death could not stop some of the more dedicated workers from running the rat race to the bitterest of ends.” 1 likes
“Horror is at its best when it shows us not just the monsters among us, but the angels as well.” 1 likes