Start by marking “Completely Unexpected Tales: Tales of the Unexpected. More Tales of the Unexpected” as Want to Read:

Completely Unexpected Tales: Tales of the Unexpected. More Tales of the Unexpected (Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected #1-2)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  925 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
◦ The Hitchhiker
◦ The Landlady
◦ The Sound Machine
◦ The Umbrella Man
Published 1986 by Penguin Books, Limited (UK)

David
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to David by: david-giltinan@sbcglobal.net
This fine, darkly funny, collection by Roald Dahl contains all the stories previously published in the two volumes "Tales of the Unexpected" and "More Tales of the Unexpected". The back cover of my edition describes it as a "superb compendium of vengeance, surprise, and dark delight" and that's as good a characterization as any I can come up with. Continuing with my shameless plagiarization of the cover blurb, it describes the recipe for a typical Dahl tale:

Take a pinch of unease. Stir in a lar
Laura Fudge
May 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
I love short stories, especially with a good little twist st the end. When I was a child I was a HUGE Roald Dahl fan – I had every book he had written for children, and as I got older, I started to read his books for adults. I read Kiss, Kiss and Tales of the Unexpected years ago, and decided to pick this up at my local bookshop a few weeks ago.

There are 25 short stories, filled with bizarre death, strange experiments, tattoos, odd relationships and weird characters – most of them disguised by t
Marc Maitland

This anthology of Roald Dahl’s series of short stories, so memorably made into a popular television series in the 1980s, “Tales of the Unexpected” is a new compilation of those stories, written over many years. I had read each of them in one or other of their previous guises, and also seen a fair number of the televisual representations of them at the time.

Reading them again, some 30 years after first airing was, for me, most certainly not a case of familiarity breeding contempt. They had not l
Sylvia
Jun 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fictiousaddict
Funny, ironic, entertaining, mean, sad and sometimes sadistic, with a twist of shocking surprises just around the corner before each of the short stories ends. Well, the title has said it all. Read it and be ready to be unexpectedly flabbergasted by Dahl's tales.
Gretchyn
Jul 20, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: light readers.
Dahl compiled a handful of stories that all sort of feeling like the punchlines to old jokes. They are twisted and at times creepy, but not dark. A tad monotonous; I wished it better than it was.
Nick
Jul 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Delightfully dark collection of tales from the master of literary misdirection.
Julia
Aug 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: swallowed
almost a four star book, some stories are better than others
Stef Smulders
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
The first set of tales is masterful, well told, full of detail and with a (large) touch of sadism and some humour. The second collection is less surprising but still a joy to read.
Grania
May 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: loved-it
Gloriously grim, and adult.
Kathleen
Jan 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
beautiful stories. i really like dahl's stories for older audiences.
Adena Peh
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
The title Completely Unexpected Tales is an understatement, prepare to be enraptured by Dahl's brilliance in his concoction of plot twists. His captivating and profound short stories are certain to get you hooked on as you immerse yourself in his bizzare thrillers, macabre illusions, spine-chilling horrors, twisted romance and eccentric oddities. As you move away from Dahl's childhood novels, be prepared to uncover deeper, darker secrets as you gingerly tread into his world of vengeance and dark ...more
Robert Hepple
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published in 1986, Completely Unexpected Tales is an omnibus edition of Tales of the Unexpected (1979) and More Tales of the Unexpected (1980). Most of the stories had already appeared in the collections Someone Like You (1954) and Kiss Kiss (1960), and so will not be new to many readers of Dahl. That said, the stories themselves are Dahl at his very best, even allowing for some predictable punch-lines amongst them. Personal favourites are Parson's Pleasure, and Neck, but I am sure that opinions ...more
Sam Whitehouse
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
A collection of funny, dark and twisted stories with some unexpected endings. Taste and The Landlady are standouts while a few fell a bit flat for me. I've never been a big fan of short stories, but Dahl manages to capture more intrigue and character in some of them than other authors do in full novels.
Not all the stories are brilliant but this is still worth a read.
Recommended.
Jake
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
just solidly great short stories. some duds, but some bangers as well. has a formula, uses it most of the time, and most of the time it works. something for everyone. if you liked him as a child, you'll like him as an adult.
Artsalnov
Даль - шикарный рассказчик, был очень удивлен одной истории, практически дословно поставленной Тарантино! Истории про мебельщика и хозяйку гостиницы наишикарнейшие!
Roberto Pesce
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl è uno scrittore multiforme: dai racconti per bambini al noir. Questi racconti, tutti molto spassosi (anche se forse la traduzione ha qualche pecca rispetto all'originale) parlano di intrighi, vendette, personaggi inquietanti, etc. condendo il tutto con una sana dose di humor e clamorosi colpi di scena. Sono tutte storie da manuale; tra le più riuscite a mio parere "Cosciotto d'agnello", "L'ascesa al cielo" e "Liszt".
Raj
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
This volume collects two books of Dahl's short stories for adults, and they are pretty much all corkers. I wasn't hugely familiar with his writing for adults, so came into this quite fresh, and I really enjoyed it. Each story is really well crafted and almost all of them have a really neat (often rather nasty) twist that turns the knife in a really pleasurable way for the reader (if often not for the protagonist).

I would say that the first book, Tales of the Unexpected is somewhat better than th
Meadhbh Barry
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favourite collections of short stories. They are at times witty, touching, scary, and moving. Roald Dahl proves he is not only an excellent children's author, but an accomplished adults' writer too. My favourites are The Landlady, Mrs Bixby and the Colonel's Coat, Georgey Porgy, Genesis and Catastrophe,and The Butler.

The Landlady is quite creepy, without being blatantly obvious. You have to think about it for a while, but when you do get it it stays with you for a long
Richard
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Art is only immoral when practiced by amateurs. It's the same with medicine.",

When I started this book, I found it a delight. Roald Dahl has such an unassuming way with words, he manages to make the extraordinary sound mundane and the mundane seem extraordinary.

But ... after about the sixth story, I found his style beginning to grate. Which is a shame, because he tells delightfully warped tales. It is this repetitiousness of his style that dropped the rating to 4 stars in stead of 5.

Perhaps if
Nurshafiqa
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
since i was in primary school, i have been reading roald dahl and thinks he is one of the best authors ever. which is no surprise why i find most of the stories in this book familliar.. i've read them before. usually, i don't like to reread. but rereading back the stories that were so familliar by roald dahl was such a pleasure. i found myself lost, and transported back to my younger days (hah i sound very old).

safe to say i love about 95% of the stories found in this book, and likes the other
Nick Klagge
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended for anyone who hasn't read any of Dahl's "grownup" stories. They are dark in the way you might expect from his children's books. As the title of the collection suggests, the stories are generally structured with building tension that ultimately leads to an unexpected plot twist. In a way, they are a bit formulaic and the structure can feel repetitive. On the other hand, Dahl is very effective at building tension, and the plotlines are varied enough to keep it interesting. Most of the ...more
Jane Talbot
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dahl's wry word- magic will keep you enchanted from the first story to the last. He is the master of suspense, the twist-and-turn king, and just when you think that you've cracked his storytelling code, he changes the code!

I watched Tales Of The Unexpected in my childhood - and some of my favourites to watch were also my favourites to read : Royal Jelly and The Sound Machine being the best of all for me.

Steeped in nostalgia, and painting an intricate and evocative picture of society in the mid-t
Nicholas Whyte
Oct 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
http://nhw.livejournal.com/1070927.html[return][return]This volume combines the short story collections Tales of the Unexpected and More Tales of the Unexpected - I must have read the latter some time, but a lot of the stories in the former were new to me, eg the one with the disembodied brain which I think I would certainly have remembered. They are all real masterpieces, and actually reading them all at one go is probably not the best way to enjoy them - they are best piece by piece.
A.R. Collins
A real mixed bag here. Dahl had a clear talent for writing short stories, and among these are some of the best I have read. There are also some I didn't like so much, and many that I thought started well but ended poorly. As a fan of his children's books, I found it interesting to see similarities in Dahl's writing between the two genres. I particularly enjoyed 'The Umbrella Man' and 'The Hitchhiker', which both happen to be stories I think I would have liked as a child. Overall an enjoyable rea ...more
Minh
May 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Even though Dahl is known best for his children's fiction I think it's in the short story form that his writing excels. Dark and morbid with just a hint of a twist to intrigue, the collection reads almost like a gathering of first chapters. It's frustrating to hit the ending and realize that you'll have to continue the rest with your imagination.

Great collection, but I gave it 3 stars because halfway through the novel I realized most of these were also published in Kiss Kiss, which I loved but
Chontelle Walker
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've read a string of novels lately. Even though i love reading I felt like I needed a break from these life consuming story lines. This was a perfect alternative. Its was fast paced, quick witted and some of the stories were very funny. I took these Roald Dahl books on holiday and devoured the stories on after one-my boyfriend even started reading them. I know these books have been going for donkeys years, but the stories are just so refreshing!!!!! (less) "
Donna
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, abandoned, 2011
I got this from the library after listening to Alan Carr's BBC Radio 2 show with Melanie Sykes where they were talking about the TV series from the '70s and '80s. I remember being quite scared watching it and have an enduring memory of "the man in the yellow mac".
Unfortunately the book was disappointing, and none of the stories I read (admittedly only 5!) were scary or unexpected. I guess it is dated and we have all become desensitised to what should be frightening.
What a shame.
Charissa
Jun 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read this collection predominately seated by the window at Simon's Place Coffee, a pre-ban fag drag of a place in dirty Dublin, and a permanent fug hung around the singular (stationary) ceiling fan. The bar was painted thickly green, none of the chairs matched...it was perpetually raining...i was perpetually caffienating in an attempt to stave off early (4pm!) darkness. He makes me laugh, made that winter passing bright.
Clint
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
This is the first book I've read by Roald Dahl, and it was completely... haha, unexpected. I thought he would write kooky kids' books, but this was not that. I won't even start about how much this book fucking rules. If you've never read it I'm so jealous of you, because you can read it for the first time.
Werehare
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preferiti
9/10

Non tutti eccellenti, ma alcuni sono tra i racconti più brillanti che mi sia mai capitato di leggere. Se vi piace la sottile crudeltà che Dahl usava inserire nelle sue storie per bambini, questa è la raccolta che fa per voi.
Unexpected 1 6 Nov 29, 2012 11:33PM
  • Rule Britannia
  • The Means of Escape
  • Three-Fisted Tales of "Bob"
  • Caligula for President: Better American Living Through Tyranny
  • 44 Irish Short Stories - An Anthology Of Irish Short Fiction From Yeats To Frank O'Connor
  • The Oxford Book of Short Stories
  • The Iron Wolf and Other Stories
  • On Her Majesty's Occult Service (Laundry Files, #1-2)
  • The Penguin Book of Ghost Stories: From Elizabeth Gaskell to Ambrose Bierce

• Drawing Lessons
  • Revolution 2020
  • A General Theory of Oblivion
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Ya-Yas in Bloom (Ya Yas, #3)
  • The Bloom Girls
  • Pope Joan
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Silver Music Box (The Silver Music Box series Book 1)
  • Peak
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Big Nate: In a Class by Himself
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Forgotten Recipe (Amish Heirloom #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Leaving (Bailey Flanigan, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel