Start by marking “Taking Chances” as Want to Read:
Taking Chances

Taking Chances

(The Love Projects #1)

Lydia’s father walked away from her when she was eight. She’s struggled to not let him affect her, but fears she wasn’t loveable enough to make him stay. Jake wants to love one woman, but after scaring the last woman he met outside of the club, he doubts he has the right. She protects her heart by sticking with her fantasies, and he lives by a set of rules that excludes wo ...more
Published August 23rd 2013 by Evernight Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Taking Chances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking Chances

Start your review of Taking Chances
Kiru Taye
Lydia is quiet and doesn't trust easily. However, she is interested in Jake and hoping he will take notice of her. When they are thrown together on a project, Jake takes notice and suddenly the conference room starts heating up. Jake has so many rules he never breaks. But Lydia pushes him to break those rules. I enjoyed the interaction between these two and loved that Jake wasn't heavy-handed with Lydia when her past insecurities got in the way. I think he found the right balance with his discip ...more
Romancing the Book
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Victoria
Book provided by the publisher
Originally posted at Romancing the Book

Taking Chances is the first book in The Love Projects series by S. J. Maylee. I chose this book because after reading the blurb I was intrigued. I wanted to see the journey this book would take the reader and how this book would turn out.

Lydia is good at her job but she lacks confidence to voice herself at work therefor not many people know how talented she really is. Lydia struggles with her confidence ever
Cocktails and Books
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was so good!! I'm so tickled about it. I'm such a fan of S.J. Maylee. Her stories are short, exciting, and sexy with characters who have chemistry to spare.

Just a quick rundown. Lydia is struggling with the idea that there must be something wrong with her because her father left when she was a child. Jake believes that he can never actually be in love. He thinks that the fact that he's a Dom scares women away, so he sticks to unattached subs at the club.

Watching these two come togethe
Victoria Rainey
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Romancing The Book Review

Original Review Published here: http://romancing-the-book.com/2014/03...

KnottyGirl Reviews
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I pretty much love anything SJ Maylee puts out and when I noticed this book was available to review I snapped it right up, I’m glad I did. This is actually a different series than the one I have been reading from her, so I was interested to see if my excitement would wax or wane any. Nope, still love her books.

I really like the fact I’m in on the first book of the series and I have the others to look forward to. The prospect of a BDSM matchmaking boss is pretty hysterical, I kinda wish I’d had o
Sandra Bunino
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-fav
Taking Chances was one of those books where you see the story play out in your mind. I was there with Lydia in the conference room with her demanding boss and then alone working with Jake. I loved how Ms. Maylee gives the reader both of H/h’s POV as the scenes changed. Jake’s view of Lydia eating lunch complete with her innocently licking barbeque sauce from her fingers was memorable!

Ms. Maylee does a fantastic job of hooking the reader from the beginning of the story. I found myself caring abo
Cara Bristol
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lydia is as quiet and unassuming as a church mouse. Jake is a "no-commitments" Dom who frequents the clubs for recreation. She fantasizes about him; he's attracted to her, but knows she's hands off. When their boss assigns them to the same project and they're forced to work side-by-side, passion bubbles up. But will Lydia be able to speak up for herself? Will Jake be willing to break his own rules?

SJ Maylee has crafted a BDSM "light" story about a seemingly vanilla girl who comes to embrace her
Kameron
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
(request submitted by author for an honest critique)

I've read many BDSM books but I feel this one probably contained more emotion than about 90% of the others I have on my bookshelves. Lydia and Jake's scenes weren't all about fulfilling their kink needs, which I liked. Yeah, spankings and submitting is good but I like to see a couple connecting on a more higher level. That's what makes a BDSM story more enjoyable, more memorable, in my mind.

On a final note, watching a person eat a banana has
Heidi
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
New book New author for me so I was Intrigued from the get go not ten pages in I was hooked on an amazing style of writing engaging plot and characters that have you smiling and flicking the pages at a rapid rate.

The chemistry between the characters is electric and had me fanning myself and the intimate scenes omg omg yes!!!!

Fantastic read Miss Maylee has made me into a fangirl.

4 Out Of 5 Hearts From Cariad Books
Bobbi Leonard
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Taking Chances by S. J. Maylee

4 stars

Well-written story of erotica and the BDSM world. Lydia is a shy mouse afraid to speak to anyone. Jake is a confident man who goes after what he wants. Unexpected things happen when these two are thrust together at work. Nice read.

Bobbi the Book Monster
Saffron
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Review to come.
Liz ~ Liz's Reading Life
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Love is a strange and beautiful thing with smooth and rugged edges."

Lydia has been dealing with abandonment issues ever since her father left her and her mother when she was eight years old. Most people would say that she is shy and meek, but little they realize there is more then meets the eye. Jake is strong and very easy on the eyes. His dominate side always seems to make an appearance; he likes to be in control in every aspect of his life.

A new project has come up at work and Jake has been
Angie
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jake picked Lydia to work on a project with him not realizing what Lydia was like. Lydia knew the work and had secretly admired Jake. Watching them work through their issues and Lydia working through everything with her dad and brother. Jake was great not letting Lydia hide from him. It was an enjoyable story.
Beckey
Full review can be seen on my blog on 6/15/14 as part of the Taking Courage Blog tour that In The Pages Designs (&Promos) set up. ...more
Dar
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bdsm, 4-star-reads
I loved and hated it at the same time but the story was okay and it did have some sweet moments
Lori Whyte
Justina Kowalski
Mar 18, 2014
H
Oct 22, 2014
S.J. Maylee fell in love with storytelling at a young age and with it came a deep-seated desire for everyone to find their happily ever after. She’s finding the happy endings for her characters one steamy story at a time.

When she’s not reading or writing, you can find her caring for her garden, laughing with her two young sons, or dancing to her husband’s music. She’s a PMP (Project Management Pro

The Love Projects (3 books)
  • Taking Courage