Start by marking “Excalibur: Renaissance (Star Trek: New Frontier, #8) (Excalibur, #2)” as Want to Read:
Excalibur: Renaissance (Star Trek: New Frontier, #8) (Excalibur, #2)

Excalibur: Renaissance (Star Trek: New Frontier, #8)

(Star Trek: New Frontier #10)

Das Schiff ist Geschichte, doch das Abenteuer geht weiter...

Die U.S.S. Excalibur ist zerstört. Ihr Captain, Mackenzie Calhoun, ist fort. Die überlebenden Besatzungsmitglieder sind in der gesamten Galaxis verstreut und versuchen alle, sich ein neues Leben aufzubauen.

Für den ehemaligen medizinischen Offizier des Schiffs, Dr. Selar, bedeutet dies, sich einer sehr persönlichen
Published July 2013 by Amigo Grafik (cross cult) (first published September 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Excalibur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Excalibur

Start your review of Excalibur: Renaissance (Star Trek: New Frontier, #8) (Excalibur, #2)
Jerry
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This trilogy is rather entertaining. I can't wait to see what happens in the conclusion.
Michael
Oct 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a love/hate relationship with Peter David's book...I love them so much that I can read them in one sitting, but I hate that they have to come to end. Such is the case with the new addition to the New Frontier series--itself the second portion of a trilogy that won't be completed until November (thankfully it's not a year otherwise I'd have to be seriously upset with Pocket Books). The storyline continues to follow the crew after the destruction of the Excaliber. There are only two plotlin ...more
David H.
This is the second of the Excalibur sub-trilogy which follows various characters after the destruction of the USS Excalibur. This volume focused primarily on Burgoyne 172, Selar, Robin Lefler, and her mother Morgan.

Burgoyne and Selar's plot was the major focus, and the biggest reason why I rated this lower than the other books in this series, as they're my two least favorite characters of the crew. It's annoying to see two otherwise competent characters acting so dumbly with each other. At least
Michael T Bradley
Feb 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I knew I was going to hate this book, and I was right. I flinched the entire way through it.

Though there's a subplot with Morgan & Robin (dull - nothing that you can't get from a rerun of Reba, sadly) and a subplot with Si Cwan (meh ... might be leading somewhere interesting), this book is mostly about Burgoyne & Selar's custody battle over their child.

Here's the thing: There are some interesting concepts brought up here, and some fun little almost-twists (Selar's brother's character & part in t
Steven
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little slower than the other New Frontier titles, mostly dealing with the relationship between Selar and Burgoyne, Vulcan culture, and a vacation on Risa with Morgan and Robin. Like all Peter David titles, if you're not overly familiar with his other works and the Star Trek universe in general, there are a lot of references that will fly right over you, as they are mentioned in passing but actually carry a lot of plot with them.
David McFarlane
I love SciFi and I really enjoyed this book - the characterisations are vivid, and you become really interested to see them develop and where they are going. I don't want to give too much away but Captain Calhoun's marooning is central to the story, along with Elizabeth Shelby's loss and finally, them coming back together, albeit with a new son to add to the equation...

I will be looking out for further books in this series
John Chevalier
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Burgoyne 172 doesn't take no for an answer.
David
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Another excellent chapter in the lives of the Excalibur's crew!
David Palazzolo
Joy
Mar 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Like the first book in the "Excalibur" miniseries of New Frontier, Renaissance has two plot lines that go back and forth.

The first storyline deals with Burgoyne and Selar and their new child, Xyon. Selar wants Xyon raised in the Vulcan way but she doesn't want Burgoyne to be involved at all in Xyon's life. So, she takes Xyon and flees to Vulcan. Burgoyne follows her, intent on being part of Xyon's life and invokes an ancient Vulcan ritual to decide for the rights of the child.

The other storylin
Wayland Smith
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an original Star Trek series by Peter David, that doesn't star any of the big names in the Star Trek Mythos. It's set roughly when Next Generation and Titan are, for those that care about such things, and it's a mix of minor characters from the shows and David originals.

In this one, the USS Excalibur has been destroyed. Captain Calhoun is missing, believed dead. Dr. Selar needs to deal with the complications of her new child by Burgyone. And Robin Lefler and her secretive mother, Morgan
Sean Randall
Apr 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well now, this is certainly a worthy continuation of the previous title and no mistake. You might call it the second half of something having more than 2 parts, as it were - "to be concluded" may indicate 3.

With Requiem focusing on Cwan, McHenry, kebron and Soleta, Renaissance gives us some of the other characters (The Leflers, Selar and family etc). It provides a very necessary link in the chain; with the characters so fragmented, it made sense to put them into more than one book, I'm sure.

Inte
Kerry
Jan 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading the Star Trek:New Frontier series last year (well, rereading the first four, then continuing on), nice for traveling since they're paperbacks. Set within the universe we all know, but with a new crew and ship, Peter David shows a sure hand at mixing elements known and unknown, with his usual humor.
Bradley
Not bad as far as Star Trek books go until I bumped into a To Be Continued at the very end as if it was a television episode. That really steamed my vegetables. Seriously though, it was okay with spot visits from Scotty and Spock. Not good enough to make me to keep it though.
Armin
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better than Requiem.
omiczech
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This book focuses on Selar/Burgoyne and Robin/Morgan storyarcs. It's finally back to awesome NF beginning - great star trek story with lot of good humor.
Shannon Appelcline
Another good entry in the New Frontier series, this one featuring a great focus on Robin, Burgoyne, and Selar.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Another quality entry from Peter David. I love how the plotlines begin to connect at the end, and the major revelation we're left with. It made me run to grab the next volume off the shelf.
Kate
Feb 23, 2015
Adam Ingram
Nov 29, 2019

• I, Q
  • Reunion (Star Trek Next Generation )
  • Gauntlet
  • Drastic Measures
  • Incident at Arbuk (Star Trek: Voyager, #5)
  • Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • The Valiant (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • Twilight (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #1)
  • La Marque jaune (Blake et Mortimer, #6)
  • Surak's Soul (Star Trek: Enterprise #5)
  • Norwood
  • 'Rommel?' 'Gunner Who?': A Confrontation in the Desert
  • Billy the Kid (Lucky Luke Adventure, #1)
  • Adventure Down Under
  • Abyss (Star Trek: Section 31, #3)
  • Le Mystère de la Grande Pyramide - 1 (Blake et Mortimer, #4)
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum

Star Trek: New Frontier (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • House of Cards (Star Trek: New Frontier, #1)
  • Into the Void (Star Trek: New Frontier, #2)
  • The Two-Front War (Star Trek: New Frontier, #3)
  • End Game (Star Trek: New Frontier, #4)
  • Martyr (Star Trek: New Frontier, #5)
  • Fire on High (Star Trek: New Frontier, #6)
  • The Quiet Place (Star Trek: New Frontier, #7)
  • Dark Allies (Star Trek: New Frontier, #8)
  • Double or Nothing (Star Trek: Double Helix, #5)
  • Requiem (Star Trek: New Frontier, #9)