Start by marking “Nullsummenspiel (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nullsummenspiel (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)

Nullsummenspiel

(Star Trek: Typhon Pact #1)

Der spannende Auftakt des Mega-Events!

Ein Spion des Typhon-Paktes - eines politischen Rivalen der Föderation - stiehlt die Pläne für die neueste technologische Entwicklung der Sternenflotte: den Splistream-Antrieb. Um den Typhon-Pakt davon abzuhalten, das Geheimnis des Antriebs zu entschlüsseln, rekrutiert der Sternenflottengeheimdienst zwei genetisch aufgewertete Agenten:
Mass Market Paperback, deutsche Erstausgabe, 389 pages
Published June 2013 by CrossCult, Ludwigsburg (first published November 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Nullsummenspiel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nullsummenspiel

Start your review of Nullsummenspiel (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
Krista D.
Well, this is the lowest marking I've ever given a David Mack book and it was tough to do. Don't get me wrong, I liked the book, but I found I was able to put it down and go a few days before I picked it up again.

With that said, good story arc of Julian and looking to see more development there. Ezri? I didn't feel anything new was developed there. She was just filler, and really dragged the story down for me.
Iain
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I just finished this book we might as well get into it. To start out with this book is a Star Trek novel. When I first started reading books regularly as a freshman in high school almost everything I read was a Star Trek novel. Reruns of Star Trek Voyager are what got me into Sci Fi in the first place so it’s only fitting. Honestly over the years I’ve had some really hit or miss experiences with them and have kind of shifted into standalone SFF books that aren’t media tie ins. But at some point ...more
Jerry
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not all that familiar with Deep Space 9, but I still enjoyed this novel. However, along with the usual profanity and violence, the sex scene was rather disappointing. Discerning readers, take note.
Alex
There's a point toward the end of the book where first officer Bowers, confronted with the next crisis, half jokingly asks "never a dull moment, eh?" and the Amazing Captain Dax replies: "not if we're doing this right". I could see this doubling as an exchange between David Mack and his editor, because Zero Sum doesn't have dull moments either and very few of the quiet variety: mostly the nice introspection into Bashir's character, now that his DS9 "family" is all but shattered, with his friends ...more
Crystal Bensley
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really loved this first entry in the Typhon Pact series. The BREEN are an interesting species and David Mack does an excellent job as usual.
Horst Gutmann
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startrek
Zero Sum Game takes place about a year after the events of A Singular Destiny and the Typhon Pact flexes its muscles by getting their hands on the schematics of the Federation's slipstream drive. What follows is some behind-enemy-lines action with Julian Bashir and his old flame, the also genetically enhanced Sarina Douglas with Ezri Dax and the USS Aventine acting as backup.

Sadly, after the extremely epic Destiny series, the plot here feels a bit flat. The focus is the infiltration of a Breen c
Lance Schonberg
Sep 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
Having said I'm not particularly fond of the multi-series crossover books in the past, I still seem to have picked up the Typhon Pact books as part of my journey back into written Trek for 2013.

DS9 was my least favourite series (which is not to say that there weren't some great episodes), so I wasn't expecting to like this one as much as I did. I know I keep complaining that I'm tired of the fate of the universe, or at least the Federation, hanging on the plot, and maybe that's why I enjoyed it
John Scott
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book, bit of a weak start to the Typhon Pact series, given how important it is to the Star Trek universe as a whole. Loved seeing Bashir back in action, though. He was always one of my favourite Deep Space Nine characters, and my favourite of the doctors of all the series (movie, series AND novels). Already reading Seize The Fire!
Paul Bowler
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
A fun read. Not one of the better Star Trek novels but it was fun to catch up with Bashir again. And learning so much about the Breen was interesting.
C.T. Phipps
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Star Trek: Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game is a spy novel. A very unusual spy novel. The premise is something which, adjusted to an Earth setting, could be the basis of a James Bond movie. The Typhon Pact (Soviets) have stolen the secrets of the Slipstream Drive (submarine plans) and are assembling their own prototype in a secret shipyards (unchanged). Julian Bashir (Bond) is recruited by Starfleet Intelligence (SIS/MI6) to sabotage this project.

Furthermore, because the Typhon Pact killed Federation
John
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I was looking forward to getting into another David Mack novel; the last of his Trek books that I read was the Destiny trilogy, which was easily the best Treklit reading I've ever experienced.
This novel retains much of what makes Mack one of the best authors of Treklit. His dialogue is smoother, crisper, and smarter than perhaps any other Trek author. He's good at making juicy plot points, such as in this James Bond-style covert operation story. But it was a bit of a letdown overall.
Basically,
Rob
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At points during this book I wonder who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. Not your usual Trek saga. I think that was maybe the point.

David Mack books are usually well written and this one was no exception. I didn't find any reason to hate it except it doesn't make sense to send a Medical Doctor in where more than likely he would be forced to do things against his principles but that's kind of what it was all about. If there were a real Starfleet and they needed such an operation done,
Greg
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting premise leads to a fun and entertaining read. The Breen were seen in the Dominion War but they are really brought to life and shone as gruesome antagonists you dont want to mess with. This book is unique in that its got the first explicity sex scene i have come across in my decades of reading star trek books, so if you add that to the violence of the torture scenes (yes there is more than one) not only do they balance out but they change the tone andfeel of the book. Apart from th ...more
Ramona
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
This has been one of my favorite Star Trek novels, for the year. The story kept moving, with lots of twists, and beautifully described scenery. I could feel Julian's enormous awe as he looked at the carved out asteroid; the joy, and freedom of the Breen dissidents in their underground world, and the pain suffered by Sarina, at the hands of her torturers. We see another side of Sarina, and I know there is more to come in the next book, in the Typhon Pact series. I usually enjoy Mack's stories in ...more
Jess
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Mack has written some great Star Trek books over the years. Too bad this one isn't quite one of them. It's slowly passed, which a spy novel really really shouldn't be. The subplots that SHOULD be a punch to the gut aren't. I mean it was cool getting the Breen mystery solved but something about the whole book didn't quite work.

Part of it might just be that I'm a die hard Ezri/Bashir shipper.

But on the other hand anyone who knew a certain character in the book's history and a certain group
Tyrone Wilson
I'd give it 2.5 stars, but only because I'm a big Star Trek fan, and that's what kept me going with this book. Parts of the action was pretty good, but other parts were hardly credible ... even for science fiction. The time frame for the mission and the "winging it" during the mission made it even more suspect, particularly the latter stages of the mission. The interpersonal stuff at the end was both unexpected considering what happened during the story and appalling (not to give anything away).
Nathan
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: st-typhon
Excellent incite into an alien race we really haven't seen before - the Breen. Liked having Bashir back into the action, as well as Ezra Dax. Overall, a great start to a new series. Just wished they would have explained a little more about what the Typhon Pact is near the start of the book, but by the end you understand.
Gareth Brown
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A good start to a sequence I plan to read my way through, the Typhon pact offer an interesting new adversary for Starfleet and whilst this offers standard action mission fare it was great to immerse myself in some actual star trek and not the awful nonsense we are getting served up on STD. I wish we could get a TV show with Captain Dax on the USS Aventine.
Scott Williams
I enjoyed the exploration of the Breen and their culture. I was a bit uncomfortable with the body count in this book. I prefer my Starfleet heroes to be squeaky clean. It will be interesting to see where Bashir's character goes from here.
Victoria
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars

Not the best Star Trek novel I've ever read. I found the whole "spying" aspect really bland. I'm not a big fan of Bashir either but it was nice to see Ezri apart from the unnecessary jealousy over Bashir.
Preston Pendergraft
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Really enjoyed this book. Reminded me a lot of Abyss.
Mrsculpepper
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trek
big wow ending! and pretty cool to learn more about the breen.
Robert W. Walthers Jr.
I loved the story but I am a star trek can . Can't find a bad star trek novel or episode .
Oleg Ryzhikov
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zero Sum Game is a little cheesy, but nevertheless fun spy story, with some nice starship action and rather fascinating background on Breen species.
Matthew Greig
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Enjoyable

A very good and entertaining read, well worth a read. Well written with some good character development for a couple of the characters.
Nicolas
Honestly, for a book focusing on characters I don't really care about this worked pretty well. I'm into the story and am looking forward to a more familiar cast in the coming books.
Ed
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a big fan of DS9. I thought the author remained true to the characters and the story was thrilling.
Les Hopper
Standard stuff, but a fine way to pass some time.
Moogie
It was entertaining. I especially liked the little twist at the end.

if it was an episode it would be up there with my list of good episodes.
Shelby Lynne
For someone who is genetically enhanced, Julian Bashir sure is a dumbass.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Singular Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • The Soul Key (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • The Eternal Tide (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Children of the Storm (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Architects of Infinity
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Orion's Hounds
  • Acts of Contrition (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • The Never Ending Sacrifice
  • Protectors (Star Trek: Voyager)
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of more than thirty novels of science-fiction, fantasy, and adventure, including the Star Trek Destiny and Cold Equations trilogies.

Beyond novels, Mack's writing credits span several media, including television (for produced episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), film, and comic books.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanmack or join his fans on Fac

Star Trek: Typhon Pact (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Seize the Fire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #2)
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • The Struggle Within (Star Trek: Typhon Pact #5)
  • Plagues of Night (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #6)
  • Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7)
  • Brinkmanship (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #8)
  • Revelation and Dust (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: The Fall)

News & Interviews