Start by marking “Nullsummenspiel (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nullsummenspiel (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)

Nullsummenspiel

(Star Trek: Typhon Pact #1)

Der spannende Auftakt des Mega-Events!

Ein Spion des Typhon-Paktes - eines politischen Rivalen der Föderation - stiehlt die Pläne für die neueste technologische Entwicklung der Sternenflotte: den Splistream-Antrieb. Um den Typhon-Pakt davon abzuhalten, das Geheimnis des Antriebs zu entschlüsseln, rekrutiert der Sternenflottengeheimdienst zwei genetisch aufgewertete Agenten:
Mass Market Paperback, deutsche Erstausgabe, 389 pages
Published June 2013 by CrossCult, Ludwigsburg (first published November 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Nullsummenspiel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nullsummenspiel

Start your review of Nullsummenspiel (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
Jerry
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not all that familiar with Deep Space 9, but I still enjoyed this novel. However, along with the usual profanity and violence, the sex scene was rather disappointing. Discerning readers, take note. ...more
Jonathan Koan
Star Trek: Zero Sum Game is the first novel in the "Typhon Pact" line of novels. It was written by David Mack and was released in November of 2010.

David Mack has turned in several amazing books. His Destiny Trilogy is truly legendary for the scope and sheer audacity. His "The Fall" novel "Ceremony of Losses" was one of the best thematic books in Star Trek. His "A Time to" books and his "Legacies" book were both really stellar! Unfortunately, this book does not live up to the others.

Don't get me
Krista D.
Well, this is the lowest marking I've ever given a David Mack book and it was tough to do. Don't get me wrong, I liked the book, but I found I was able to put it down and go a few days before I picked it up again.

With that said, good story arc of Julian and looking to see more development there. Ezri? I didn't feel anything new was developed there. She was just filler, and really dragged the story down for me.
Iain
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I just finished this book we might as well get into it. To start out with this book is a Star Trek novel. When I first started reading books regularly as a freshman in high school almost everything I read was a Star Trek novel. Reruns of Star Trek Voyager are what got me into Sci Fi in the first place so it’s only fitting. Honestly over the years I’ve had some really hit or miss experiences with them and have kind of shifted into standalone SFF books that aren’t media tie ins. But at some point ...more
Alex
There's a point toward the end of the book where first officer Bowers, confronted with the next crisis, half jokingly asks "never a dull moment, eh?" and the Amazing Captain Dax replies: "not if we're doing this right". I could see this doubling as an exchange between David Mack and his editor, because Zero Sum doesn't have dull moments either and very few of the quiet variety: mostly the nice introspection into Bashir's character, now that his DS9 "family" is all but shattered, with his friends ...more
Crystal Bensley
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really loved this first entry in the Typhon Pact series. The BREEN are an interesting species and David Mack does an excellent job as usual.
Michael Hicks
A year after the massively destructive Borg invasion detailed in David Mack's awesomely epic Destiny trilogy, a deadly terrorist strike against the Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards allows the Typhon Pact to steal the Federation's recently developed slipstream technology. The Typhon Pact themselves are a disparate group of alien governments, including the Romulan Empire, the Breen, and the Gorn, who share one common goal - to destroy the United Federation of Planets and gain total control over the Alp ...more
Horst Gutmann
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startrek
Zero Sum Game takes place about a year after the events of A Singular Destiny and the Typhon Pact flexes its muscles by getting their hands on the schematics of the Federation's slipstream drive. What follows is some behind-enemy-lines action with Julian Bashir and his old flame, the also genetically enhanced Sarina Douglas with Ezri Dax and the USS Aventine acting as backup.

Sadly, after the extremely epic Destiny series, the plot here feels a bit flat. The focus is the infiltration of a Breen c
Maurice Jr.
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Starfleet got robbed! Someone posing as an unknown species (Dessev) forged credentials to work at the Utiopia Planitia shipyard on Mars and stole the plans for slipstream drive.

When evidence points to help from a phase cloaked Romulan warbird, Starfleet Intelligence gets involved. They learn that the "Dessev" was an unmasked Breen, and that the stolen plans are at a Breen facility. They want to send in two covert operatives disguised in Breen armor to destroy the plans and any prototype slipstr
Lance Schonberg
Having said I'm not particularly fond of the multi-series crossover books in the past, I still seem to have picked up the Typhon Pact books as part of my journey back into written Trek for 2013.

DS9 was my least favourite series (which is not to say that there weren't some great episodes), so I wasn't expecting to like this one as much as I did. I know I keep complaining that I'm tired of the fate of the universe, or at least the Federation, hanging on the plot, and maybe that's why I enjoyed it
John Scott
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book, bit of a weak start to the Typhon Pact series, given how important it is to the Star Trek universe as a whole. Loved seeing Bashir back in action, though. He was always one of my favourite Deep Space Nine characters, and my favourite of the doctors of all the series (movie, series AND novels). Already reading Seize The Fire!
Paul Bowler
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
A fun read. Not one of the better Star Trek novels but it was fun to catch up with Bashir again. And learning so much about the Breen was interesting.
Tina
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A.J. Blanc
I never would've guessed how difficult it is to find a Trek story arc that I could get behind right out of the gate. Don't get me wrong, Zero Sum Game (ZSG) isn't a bad book, and the concept of the Typhon Pact is quite interesting, but the series overall was little more than a blip on the ST radar, and while ZSG had its moments it's largely forgettable.

SPOILERS!! - ZSG is pretty straightforward; the Pact steals the slipstream drive plans and Starfleet wants it back before they can do anything wi
C.T. Phipps
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Star Trek: Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game is a spy novel. A very unusual spy novel. The premise is something which, adjusted to an Earth setting, could be the basis of a James Bond movie. The Typhon Pact (Soviets) have stolen the secrets of the Slipstream Drive (submarine plans) and are assembling their own prototype in a secret shipyards (unchanged). Julian Bashir (Bond) is recruited by Starfleet Intelligence (SIS/MI6) to sabotage this project.

Furthermore, because the Typhon Pact killed Federation
John
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I was looking forward to getting into another David Mack novel; the last of his Trek books that I read was the Destiny trilogy, which was easily the best Treklit reading I've ever experienced.
This novel retains much of what makes Mack one of the best authors of Treklit. His dialogue is smoother, crisper, and smarter than perhaps any other Trek author. He's good at making juicy plot points, such as in this James Bond-style covert operation story. But it was a bit of a letdown overall.
Basically,
Jedi Master Nate Lightray
I'm very torn on this book. On the one hand, it's David Mack doing what he does best, which is writing this pulp-throw-away fiction that is so much fun. He has come to stand out amongst his peers as a Star Trek writer. On the other hand, well, it's been mis-labeled. This is a Section 31 novel, and I was coming in thinking this was going to extend what we read when we read the Destiny Trilogy (which was so, so, so good). I like it, a lot, but was ready for more about the Typhon Pact.

I love that
Rob
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At points during this book I wonder who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. Not your usual Trek saga. I think that was maybe the point.

David Mack books are usually well written and this one was no exception. I didn't find any reason to hate it except it doesn't make sense to send a Medical Doctor in where more than likely he would be forced to do things against his principles but that's kind of what it was all about. If there were a real Starfleet and they needed such an operation done,
Greg
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting premise leads to a fun and entertaining read. The Breen were seen in the Dominion War but they are really brought to life and shone as gruesome antagonists you dont want to mess with. This book is unique in that its got the first explicity sex scene i have come across in my decades of reading star trek books, so if you add that to the violence of the torture scenes (yes there is more than one) not only do they balance out but they change the tone andfeel of the book. Apart from th ...more
Ramona
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This has been one of my favorite Star Trek novels, for the year. The story kept moving, with lots of twists, and beautifully described scenery. I could feel Julian's enormous awe as he looked at the carved out asteroid; the joy, and freedom of the Breen dissidents in their underground world, and the pain suffered by Sarina, at the hands of her torturers. We see another side of Sarina, and I know there is more to come in the next book, in the Typhon Pact series. I usually enjoy Mack's stories in ...more
Claire
Sep 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jess
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Mack has written some great Star Trek books over the years. Too bad this one isn't quite one of them. It's slowly passed, which a spy novel really really shouldn't be. The subplots that SHOULD be a punch to the gut aren't. I mean it was cool getting the Breen mystery solved but something about the whole book didn't quite work.

Part of it might just be that I'm a die hard Ezri/Bashir shipper.

But on the other hand anyone who knew a certain character in the book's history and a certain group
Rian Monson
Mar 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good for the 1st book in this series. Might have been good to read the books before this one (but overall I was able to understand what's happening). Going into this book you have to understand it's more of a Bashir & Douglas book, even though Dax is in here, she's more like a filler (even if it's nice to see her) it could have easily been another ship and captain.
I seem to remember liking Brinkmanship alot better than this one.

One complaint....
I do wish they would stop doing characters f
Christian Hamilton
This was a great ride! The first post-Nemesis DS9 relaunch book, this book takes place several years after the last DS9 book, so obviously some things have changed.

Ezri is now a Captain. Vaughn is in a coma and unresponsive. Sisko is home on Bajor. Kira is… something else?

And, of course, Bashir is still practicing frontier medicine on DS9.

This book follows Bashir as he dives back into the world of Starfleet Intelligence to stop the Typhon Pact, a new collection of alien species, from developing
Tyrone Wilson
I'd give it 2.5 stars, but only because I'm a big Star Trek fan, and that's what kept me going with this book. Parts of the action was pretty good, but other parts were hardly credible ... even for science fiction. The time frame for the mission and the "winging it" during the mission made it even more suspect, particularly the latter stages of the mission. The interpersonal stuff at the end was both unexpected considering what happened during the story and appalling (not to give anything away). ...more
F. William Davis
Bashir as a character receives a bit of fair criticism for his over-enthusiastic and often immature interactions with women but Mack has handled this wonderfully and with Zero Sum Game we revisit perhaps the least appropriate yet most believable relationship from his time on DS9. However, as you might have learned to expect from David Mack, there's something dark and sinister lurking here.

Some of Dr. Bashir's best stories are the Section 31 episodes but if I'm being honest, Bashir the intellige
Nathan
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: st-typhon
Excellent incite into an alien race we really haven't seen before - the Breen. Liked having Bashir back into the action, as well as Ezra Dax. Overall, a great start to a new series. Just wished they would have explained a little more about what the Typhon Pact is near the start of the book, but by the end you understand. ...more
Gareth Brown
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A good start to a sequence I plan to read my way through, the Typhon pact offer an interesting new adversary for Starfleet and whilst this offers standard action mission fare it was great to immerse myself in some actual star trek and not the awful nonsense we are getting served up on STD. I wish we could get a TV show with Captain Dax on the USS Aventine.
Hundred Pic
Overall, for me, Zero Sum Game was a misstep from a very talented writer. I could appreciate the well-crafted action scenes, but a half-baked story and characters that felt inconsistent with the show ultimately made this one a bit of a letdown.

Check out the full review: https://scifibooks.club/reviews/typho...
Scott Williams
I enjoyed the exploration of the Breen and their culture. I was a bit uncomfortable with the body count in this book. I prefer my Starfleet heroes to be squeaky clean. It will be interesting to see where Bashir's character goes from here. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Children of the Storm (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • The Eternal Tide
  • Full Circle (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Protectors (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek: Aventine #4)
  • Losing the Peace
  • Acts of Contrition (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • The Farther Shore (Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming, #2)
  • Atonement (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Watching the Clock (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations #1)
  • Moments Asunder (Star Trek: Coda #1)
  • Before Dishonor
  • A Pocket Full of Lies
  • Homecoming (Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming #1)
  • Greater Than the Sum (Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade #5)
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of more than 36 novels of science-fiction, fantasy, and adventure, including the Star Trek Destiny and Cold Equations trilogies.

Beyond novels, Mack's writing credits span several media, including television (for produced episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), games, and comic books.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanmack or like his Facebook page.

Star Trek: Typhon Pact (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek: Aventine #4)
  • Seize the Fire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #2)
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • The Struggle Within (Star Trek: Typhon Pact #5)
  • Plagues of Night (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #6)
  • Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7)
  • Brinkmanship (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #8)
  • Revelation and Dust (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)