Start by marking “Yiddish with George and Laura” as Want to Read:
Yiddish with George and Laura

Yiddish with George and Laura

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  81 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
What do George and Laura Bush have in common with Dick and Jane? Well, both hail from prototypical WASP families. And, perhaps more to the point, both exhibit a natural resistance to moral complexity (i.e., reality).

That's the premise of this hilarious new primer-style book in which George, Laura, and the entire Bush family communicate with uncharacteristic expressiveness,
Published October 10th 2006 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Yiddish with George and Laura, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yiddish with George and Laura

Briana Grenert
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Should we have been studying for finals?
was this a better use of our time?
Infinitely.
Read aloud with Maren in Lillian's room after lighting an LED menorah. Thr book was a gift from Shirah to Maren.
Kevin Maring
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eccentric, funny, horror
The glossary in back illustrates Yiddish words and phrases (as did Rosten's "The Joy of Yiddish")with jokes; in one, Barb is asked how it feels knowing that the Shrub Regime will go down in history as the most corrupt and evil presidency ever; 'Well', she replies in Yiddish,'at least he has a job.' So, it is kinda out of date.
(Man, remember when we all thought Dubya was the nadir of evil? Those were the days!)
Spoiler alert:

There is a sub-plot/gag that revolves around Laura finding a baby in a bl
Melvin Marsh, M.S.
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another funny Yiddish story. For a change this book had a lot of Yiddish that I did not already know!
Reese
Feb 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Senator Joe Lieberman
To appreciate Weiner and Davilman's little book, you don't need to want a break from a weighty work; you don't need to be Jewish, and you don't need to know Yiddish (the authors teach you the words/phrases that you need to know). So what do you need? Contempt for the Bushes, of course. If you were waiting for the answer to my question, then this book is probably not for you. I should amend the previous comment. This book is definitely not for you.

Those of you who are still with me may be thinki
Cory Howell
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was never the world's biggest fan of George W. Bush, so I can understand the authors making fun of him and the rest of the Bush family. But I found the results disappointing. Yiddish With Dick and Jane was a charming little book that took a somewhat poignant look at the grownup Dick and Jane characters, peppering the story with pithy little Yiddish words and phrases. Yiddish With George and Laura, on the other hand, just seems mean spirited, like school children poking fun at the weird kid in ...more
Joe Marley
Nov 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy
Can one man be a shmegegge and a macher at the same time? George W Bush can. This book combines two things that amuse me: Yiddish words and making fun of conservatives. This book gave me new ways to express my feelings about both:
I find George W's antics to be completely chalushisdick!
What are we going to do with this farschlugginer Supreme Court?
This year's congress is gornisht helfn!
Fox News? I need that like I need a loch in kop!
Jini
Jul 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'd forgotten I had this book. I came across it while I was dusting the bookshelf. It's written in the Dick and Jane style with Yiddish thrown in for good measure. It even comes with a handy dictionary at the back for those goyim unfamiliar with the terms. As an Honorary Jew, I didn't need it. Much. Hee hee!
Andrea
Jan 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People not traveling to the Holy Land anytime soon
We got this at the LA Times Book Fair from the Skirball Center and laughed our way through it on the spot and then again at home. Come visit us. It is good bedside reading. It does lose its shine after a few reads, but I guess that is true of most books in this vein - the gift shop impulse purchase sort of thing.
Janie Cakes
Aug 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very informational, I learned that George bush "is a big shmegegge and "an ex-shikker. I also learned that a mandate is not "when two faygelahs go to the movies," it has to do something with politics. If you'd like to know what in the hell I just said to you, that means that somebody needs to read this book because apparently you're lacking in the Yiddish department.
Shacoria
May 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book is not what I expected. First of all I know the title has Yiddish in it, but I did not expect that the book would actually be teaching me Yiddish words and phrases, but that's what it does. Also I did not expect that the book would be incredibly leftist. Basically, the whole book is an insult to Republicans. It made me laugh because it was completely not what I expected.
Wendy
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it
For an election year, it is a good laugh.
Martin
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Seriously, derangedly, wryly funny - even though it's a bit Yiddishly imperfect.
Ruth
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
A vaguely amusing children's book for adults
Whitney
Tara
Feb 27, 2008
Sara Goldenberg
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Good Heavens, this was funny!!!!
Tom