Start by marking “Sorrows (The Rogue Saga #1)” as Want to Read:
Sorrows (The Rogue Saga #1)

Sorrows (The Rogue Saga #1)

Wrenched from his ordinary life by a violent madman and turned into a vampire against his will, Jayson Wallace must learn to adapt to a world he never knew existed; a world full of magic and wonder, where vampires, donors, and shapeshifting rael-shaa travel between quantum realities. It's a dream come true... but not his dream. His sleep is haunted by blood and fear, and a ...more
Paperback, First Trade Paperback Edition, 322 pages
Published August 15th 2013 by Donna Fernstrom

To ask other readers questions about Sorrows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sorrows

Start your review of Sorrows (The Rogue Saga #1)
Wendy
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Sorrows by Donna Fernstrom is the story of Jayson "Jay" and his transformation into what he considers a monster. Together with his new friends, a "vampire police force," they set on the journey to capture the madman that is turning humans for his sick pleasure.

This book was soooooooooooooooo depressing. It takes the usual vampire story we are used to and adds many, many layers of sadness. It really explains why we see them as brooding.

I have mixed feelings about this book. I liked the interesti
Terri
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jay is a newly made vampire. The vampire who kidnapped him, tortured and abused him, scarring his psyche. Jay is damaged and fragile and hungry and is found by a group of vampire law enforcement where he is taken in.

When I say Jay is damaged, I mean really damaged. Great fear and guilt. Barely able to feed without a meltdown. Sometimes despite sympathy, I was really annoyed with him. And yet I still wanted him to get better.

There is a lot of world building in the book as well, Rael Shaa (werewo
Allyson
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-review
I received this book thru the author for an honest review. I loved this book. I hate reading great reads only because I don't want them to end. Haha this is a great read some parts were confusing but once you keep reading it makes since. I loved the plot and characters. It shows the struggle that vampires go thru to love in the world. It a very unique story and if you love vampire books like me you'll love this story! Can't wait to read more from Donna Fernstrom :)
Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
I hate to give any book two stars because I know how much work and thought goes into writing a novel. Sadly, I can't go any further than just these two stars.

The story has no plot that I could see. I kept hoping for something to spark to get the story moving. Unfortunately, that did not happen. It was pages of whining and drifting from one scene to another.

The characters are not well-developed and are one-dimensional. Jay is a whiner. I understand that he was turned into a vampire against his wi
Gemma Farrow
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an unexpected treat. Sorrows is a story of strong and exciting characters set in many worlds, accessed through Gates.

We meet Jay, a new vampire, with a traumatic recent past. We follow Jay on his journey, as he deals with his new existence, as a vampire. Fernstrom has created vampires that are original. She also deconstructs the vampires reason for being, and how their presence on Earth is a necessary thing for the sake of Mankind. I loved this aspect. I also enjoyed the darkness inher
Nicolas Wilson
Jan 11, 2014 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings on this. There's some very unique elements to it, in the worldbuilding and mythos created. It's an interesting addition to the idea of vampires. And there's a lot of time spent on characterization- which should give the reader a purchase to engage with this strange setting. But so much of the drama and plotting didn't feel right to me, no matter how it was expounded on. I had a difficult time engaging with most of the characters, and the personal nature of most of the confl ...more
Sonya Dodd
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Having read plenty of vampire novels in the past, this book was a refreshing change and an unexpected pleasure.

Giving her own unique explanation for the existence of vampires and the way they operate, the writer has created an original story with engaging, interesting characters.

The tale is told through Jay's experiences as a new vampire with a traumatic past which gives him nightmares. He is introduced to the world of the vampire along with the reader and we feel his abhorrence and fear of his
Sonya Lano
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Jay woke in terror."

So begins Donna Fernstrom's "Sorrows".

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a novel that explores a truly unique society of vampires and shapechangers (rael-shaa) that also involves what I found to be an extremely intriguing concept of alternate realities (if a bit mind-boggling if you try to imagine the sheer magnitude of how many dimensions would exist if they split off with every single decision made or branch in evolution that could be taken!)

The story starts
Susie Price
Sorrows (The Rogue Saga Book 1)

by Donna Fernstrom

Jay is a very immature new vampire. He is found and saved by a group of folks, Vampires and Donors (for the Vamps to feed from) and they are considered cops in the Vampire world they are called the Circle. They nab him right before he is about to grab someone and drink from them on the streets. They have been searching for a bad Vampire that is killing people and turning folks by force. Jay has been tortured, held captive and turned against his
Jennifer Holzapfel
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished reading Sorrows. This is the first book in The Rogue Saga, and I am impressed. The star attraction is Jayson, a young musician who was captured, tortured and turned vampire by a total sadist. He was thrown out to die for refusing to feed on a child. He is rescued by a group of policing vampires and donors.
Jayson is a vampire petrified to feed, for fear of becoming a killer. He must be coaxed and force fed. He wakes up with a giant wolf in his bed and panics. He finds that hi
Ginger Gelsheimer
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brief synopsis: Sorrows (The Rogue Saga) is a story about Jay, a newly turned vampire who is agonizing over being turned without a choice. He is terrified of himself and what harm he may bring to others. Picked up by the Law Enforcement Circle just before he’s about to pounce on his first victim, he meets a whole cast of characters deeply familiar with the new world he has been thrust into. He fears Malachi, a monster from his past, never feeling safe.

Originality: I give the author kudos for put
Elizabeth Connor
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was surprisingly good (although I'm not sure why, as I've never read anything by this author prior to this and shouldn't have had any expectations), and introduced a lot of ideas about vampire's and their origins that I had never thought to consider. I particularly liked the concept that they were created to be vessels for the sorrows of humans. It was unacceptable to feed from random humans and to kill them was taboo. They were actually presented as mostly noble, and often "human."

The
Kasey Briggs
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
. At the beginning of Sorrows, Jay awakens in an alley in terrible pain from hunger and sensory overload. He stumbles to his feet and finds himself stalking a homeless man. Then a van screaches to a halt and he's thrown inside where a warm donor feeds him.

This is his introduction to Vampire society. Worlds filled with vampires, donors, shapeshifting trackers and even mages await him. Jay has a LOT to learn and he's not very happy about it.

Jays last "normal" memory is walking home alone after a
Lex Allen
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
An intriguing premise, a unique view of vampirism and their history, as well as the shape shifting wolf-like folk (the rael-shaa) establish the potential for a truly fascinating read. And it was an amazing story.

What I liked: The first several chapters were absolutely riveting, establishing the main lead character, Jayson and the vampire enforcement group that rescued him. Also, introduced was Ryan, the shape shifting “rael-shaa” wolf, and several more leading vampires and donors. I especially e
Joanne McDonnell
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Sorrow by title, sorrows by nature.

I found the characters, including the main character Jay, hard to get to know. His behavior and constant crying led me to believe that he was a young teen; I was surprised to discover that he was in fact in his early twenties. There is a lot of crying in this book, mostly by adult male vampires, which for me was hard to swallow.

The story meandered around the feeding process of the vampires and Jays lack of ability to come to terms with this. I think this was
Jada Ryker
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Blood Squad

In Sorrows, the Rogue Saga, by Donna Fernstrom, Jayson is turned into a vampire by the psychopathic killer Malachi. Jayson is bundled into a van right before he attacks a homeless person for his blood. His rescuers are the Law Enforcement Circle, a group of volunteers who call themselves the Mavericks. Reporting to the Council of Justice, the Mavericks track vampire killers. The Circle consists of Chara, the Southern beauty who let Jayson drink her blood; Lara, who gives him the h
Lita Burke
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sorrows: Book One of The Rogue Saga by Donna Fernstrom is a paranormal thriller about a new vampire, Jay Wallace, and his struggles to overcome the trauma of his unwanted turning.

Jay, an ordinary young man on his way home late one night, is captured and held prisoner by a sadistic vampire named Malachi. After days of witnessing Malachi’s blood-soaked kills and surviving repeated bite attacks, Jay becomes an out-of-control vampire. Before he makes his first kill, a paranormal Law Enforcement Circ
Mary Fonvielle
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very refreshing vampire novel after all of the glampires we've been exposed to in recent years. Fernstrom gives us a well-thought-out world with intriguing lore and beasts you want to know more about. I especially enjoyed the rael-shaa, which were integrated into the lore without being too gimmicky (all of the scenes involving Ryan made me want to snuggle up with my own pup.) Vampires and werewolves have been redeemed for me.

The book did have a few setbacks for me. Telling this story
Nkiru
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about the book. It's difficult to like some of the characters and I felt as if they weren't people I'd like to be around, given a choice. Dave is constantly alienating others with his harsh words and moodiness. Naomi, with with her teenage angry defiance, makes you wander how much of her decisions are motivated by clear-headed choice. Jay makes you feel sorry for him as a survivor of horrors, but his constant crying and hiding in fear is difficult to deal with. I like vampi ...more
Lene Blackthorn
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Freshly and involuntarily turned into a vampire, Jay goes through hell after his transformation. Being rescued by Law Enforcement Circle, he slowly adjusts to the life of a vampire in mixed society of supernaturals and humans, fighting his traumas and ghosts with more or less success.
There is not much of a storyline or plot development in the book; it focuses more on feelings and psychical analysis of victims and traumatized beings. Although it is worked out exquisitely well, I must admit there
Demelza Carlton
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires, drama
My first impressions of this book were that it was as if someone had taken Anne Rice's vampires and placed them in Blade's world. Unique characters and unique situations, but vague similarities to the two. Then Fernstrom added a science fiction element that turns the story completely on its aurally-enhanced ear.

This is most definitely a unique take on the vampire genre - and told from a vampire's perspective, too. Jay isn't a perfect hero, but nor is he an angsty teenager. The demons from his p
Alicia
Jun 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The story starts off with Jayson waking up in an alley and group of people throw him in a van and offers him the blood of one on the individuals. Since I know the book is about a vampire I understand what he is experiencing but it take a bit more into the story to actually say he is a vampire and even longer to explain how he became an vampire. It takes too long to explain the background on the why and how Jay became a vampire; who the Circle is (even though I'm still not sure what their purpose ...more
Captivating  Cakes
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Great story idea, and that's it. Idea is were it ends.
Waaaay too much crying for any man! Or woman for that matter, sheesh!

This book drags on and on and on. The longest it's ever taken me to date to finish a book. I just didn't even want too.

To many characters were thrown into this story, at random it seems like. You're just left empty, may be the right word here.

Not even going to get started on the assault to your nerves you get when the author walks her character into a room. OMG the way sh
Malinda
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm having trouble writing this review for fear that I'll give away spoilers. With that being said I will keep this short and sweet. Sorrows had a well written story, with very descriptive and well developed characters. It was a cross between Anne Rice's vamps and Blade. Jay's a vampire who was forced into a life he hasn't chosen. What he experiences as a new vampire with a traumatic past gives him nightmares. He is introduced to the world of the vampire along with the reader and we feel his abh ...more
Jessica Loihle
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Stacey Gomez
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. The concept is very good, but the conflicting actions by the characters, the constant crying and self loathing of Jay (which was way over done), had me skipping my nightly ritual of reading before bed. There was just too much internal warring going on with the characters minds and not enough action to keep my interests. While I did finish this book, I have no desire to continue on with the series. I was given this book for free in exchange for an honest review.
Kendra Morgan
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kendra by: bookreview22
Shelves: reviewed
Sorrows is a story about 22 year old musician who's life gets turned totally up side down. He goes through some pretty wicked-terrible things and comes up more or less ok and gets to help catch the bad guy.

This is also a unique take on the vampire story. Sharing more would give away to many details, so you'll have to read it for more on that.

Donna Fernstrom does an excellent job of plot and character development and of telling about terrible things happening without being overly graphic. I enjoy
Patti
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
It took me a while to finish this book. It is a well written, well thought out book which clearly showcases the writers talents. Personally it just moved way too slow for me but I can't slight the book for it. The storyline itself is very creative an unique, I am just used to more action spurring me from page to page. There is some action but the in between made me put the book down a lot. I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Elissa
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit the cover put me off--my fear was this was going to turn out to be BDSM--but I was delighted to discover shifters, vampires, other worlds and a really strong plot with mystery and romance thrown in. Each author gets to create her own universe when she writes and it is in describing and incorporating the nuances that Ms. Fernstrom's skill is revealed. I met a number of characters whom I enjoyed getting to know and hope to meet again in other stories.
Poppy
Dec 15, 2015 added it
Zero stars. This story has been done to death by authors who can actually write. Terrible writing. No depth. I suggest the author learn a few things about basic story construction. Or even better, find a new profession. I WANT MY WASTED TIME BACK!

News & Interviews