Start by marking “The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw (The League of Princes, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw (The League of Princes, #3)

The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw

(The League of Princes #3)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  2,277 Ratings  ·  279 Reviews
The League of Princes returns in the hilariously epic conclusion to the hit series that began with Christopher Healy's The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom, which the Los Angeles Times called "one of the more clever, hilariously successful incarnations of the current literary rage to rip apart and rewrite fairy tales."

Prince Liam. Prince Frederic. Prince Duncan. Prince
Published April 29th 2014 by Walden Pond Press

To ask other readers questions about The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw, please sign up.
Carrie While I feel like the references are important to fully understanding the story, I am also a big fan of kids reading whatever interests them the most.…moreWhile I feel like the references are important to fully understanding the story, I am also a big fan of kids reading whatever interests them the most. (Better than discouraging a child from reading what they're excited about.) I've started in the middle of series before and my life hasn't been any worse of for it. Authors also tend to keep this in mind and briefly re-introduce important characters or plot points.

I say let him read the one he's interested in, and if he gets confused or curious, then encourage him to go back to the others.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lemon Orange The author said that he might write another book in the future after he writes some more books.

Hannah Greendale
The final installment of the League of Princes brings the same humor, delightful illustrations, and mechanical hair-puller to the series as its predecessor. When incriminating wanted posters are plastered in all thirteen kingdoms, our heroes and heroines must combine forces to clear their names.

They'll stop at nothing to prove their innocence, be it sailing across beast-riddled ocean waters on The Wet Walnut or donning disguises as members of the Royal Foot Massagers Society, replete with bottl
Aras Redan
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm holding out for Liam and Ella to get together.
Stephanie
Sep 04, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: shelf-life
PTERODACTYL SHRIEK OF JOY
Jessica
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sad to see this series end, but glad he went out on a high note! Hilarious, full of action, and even some romance, I have loved getting to know the heroes, villains, robbers, bounty hunters, pirates, trolls, and dwarves of the Thirteen Kingdoms! My son, now 11, has also really loved this series, and we both give all three books two thumbs way up!

Clare Cannon
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing

What an adventure! The third (and supposedly last?) Hero's Guide has pirates and prisoners, sea vessels and deserted islands, bounty hunters and bandits, giants and trolls, evil warlords and wicked witches, palaces and kingdoms, soldiers and subjects, bards and ballads and magical djinn, castles and captures and hair-raising escapes... NOT TO MENTION our beloved heroes from the League of Princes and their Ferocious Female Freedom Fighter friends!

These are such great characters: bold Liam with h
Aeicha
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Christopher Healy is one of the BEST middle-grade authors writing today and his League of Princes Series is awesome proof of why! I loved The Hero’s Guide to Saving Your Kingdom, absolutely adored The Hero’s Guide to Storming the Castle, and AND am completely crazy for The Hero’s Guide to Being an Outlaw. Healy concludes his gut-busting series with a wildly hilarious, thrilling, clever bang!

Princes Liam, Duncan, Frederic, Gustav, and their feisty female counterparts, are wanted men and women. Ou
David Schaafsma
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tweens
Finished this series ending third volume on a trip East, Branchot Pinson’s voices (audiotape) the highlight. With the fam, kids ages 9, 10, 11, two adults (apparently without ages, ageless?). We agree it is 5 stars for the series, but in the first book we were roaring with laughter, and in this one, well, we were in a sense looking ahead to the end, with not as many laughs, all adventure all the time. We were curious who would end up with whom—it’s a comic romantic adventure, after all—and were ...more
Earl
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, kids, mglit
Not since Trenton Lee Stewart’s Mysterious Benedict Society (and I guess J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter but those books are in a league of their own) has a series captivated me like Christopher Healy’s League of Princes. There’s just a level of maturity and sophistication in these books- and a whole lot of fun! I was impressed how he handled the action scenes- or, more specifically, the consequences of the battles. Great for family read-alouds.
Miss Clark

They did not quite stick the landing/ ending esp. with Briar Rose, Ella and Liam. I did not agree with who they ended up with/ did not end up with.

Otherwise, it was a delightful, comedic, heartfelt adventure and a great conclusion to the series. Recommended!
Alex
At First Sight: Several weeks after the end of their last adventure, the Legue of Princes finds itself in deep trouble once more. There is a rumor running amok all the 13 kingdoms: that Briar Rose is dead and that the Princes Charming and their friends are responsible for it. Soon, Liam, Duncan, Frederick, Gustav, Ella, Lila, Snow and Rapunzel are the prime suspects. More over, there is a huge bounty on their heads and they are being hunted down by various bounty hunters.

After various circumsta
Kim
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Will someone PLEASE make this series a movie? Please!!

Another great adventure for the League of Princes. Action, humor, mystery, action, humor, romance, action, humor. It just never stops. Will Liam end up with Ella or Briar Rose? (I vote for Ella). Is the evil witch finally, really dead this time? Will Duncan get his feathered cap back? This is serious stuff, People!! Actually, "serious" is a wrong word to use for the League of Princes.

I love this series and so does my 12-yr-old and 15-yr-old d
Kendra Ardnek
In short, this series has everything I look for in good fairy tale retellings. I just wish there were more of them.
Felicia
This book was not bad, but it was lacking some of that Hero's Guide sass that I like so much.
Barb Middleton
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fairy-tale
Good stories have a character's emotional arc linked hand-in-hand with the plot. Great stories dig deep into themes that reflect the human condition. Humorous stories that make me go from snort laughing at to "snot laughing" with the characters are keepers. Christopher Healy takes pop-culture and familiar fairy tale stories and pokes fun at common motifs or gender stereotypes and turns them upside down. Because there are so many characters the emotional payoffs for The League of Princes come in ...more
Jaylee
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
With this series being on of my absolute favorites, I bought the whole set off of ThriftBooks. However, the last book ended up at my house first... so I guess I'll just read them out of order. ;)
Mark
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Busier and less meaningful than its predecessors, Healy still delivers a damn god read.
Samuel Shelton
lhkygditurus yw4qrtWY5E6R7T6874T3qt9;yhweghrlti7ehawrestr79ijeahrstt87eahrwhes6876ehrastr857resthjrt876rstdt69stzrt876trsdzf8t7dfzt87yddnz6zdf6drstjrdr68rdzf7tdxjtdy7k
Meredith
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved it. I liked how it wrapped up the characters but was still funny and delightful.
Asma Iceybooks
Publisher: Walden Pond Press
Release Date: April 29th, 2014
Source: ARC from Publisher
Rating: LOVED

The League of Princes returns in the hilariously epic conclusion to the hit series that began with Christopher Healy’s The Hero’s Guide to Saving Your Kingdom, which the Los Angeles Times called “one of the more clever, hilariously successful incarnations of
Becky B
Everyone's favorite Princes and Princesses are back! Ok, so maybe they aren't everyone's favorites. Ok, so in fact they managed to get themselves hated by practically the entire known world. But a lot of that isn't their fault. It isn't their faults someone has framed them for the murder of Briar Rose. And it isn't their faults that the bards are flooding the song lists with anti-League of Princes ditties. And it really isn't their fault that people actually believe they killed Briar Rose and ev ...more
cookiemonger
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
This series got progressively sillier. Which is fine, except when the joke isn't actually funny or is not very funny and also adds nothing to anything. This book in particular has too many characters and somehow still has too much downtime. I'm not going to harp on the fact that in order for the girls to get pagetime all to themselves, the boys all have to be doing something completely unworthy of putting into the book. Not when I'd rather harp on splitting them up by gender at all.

For whatever
Wing Kee
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This series is simply pure fun.

I love this series, the characters are distinct and their personal voices are just fun, so what do I get with the third and possibly last book of the series? More of the same awesome stuff!

World: The world building is fun, but this time around there is not really a lot of it. Sure, there are bits and pieces here and there to add to the world that Healy has created but this being the final book of the series, he has gone and used nostalgia as a tool and plucked char
Kristen
You can read this review and others on my blog at http://awriterswife-bcray.blogspot.co...

I am sad to see this series end. I have really enjoyed it. Christopher Healey has created such a humorous world and lovable characters. All of our heroes and heroines are on the run since they have become the prime suspects to Briar’s purported murder! All of the princes and princesses have a lot of story time in this novel – which is awesome, but at times cumbersome to keep track of who is where and doing
Mehsi
Once again, let me start with talking about that cover. We are now in book 3 (final???) and yet again the cover is wrong for this edition.
There are 3 brown/black haired guys and 1 blonde, not 2 blondes. The only one who slightly matches his character as shown and described in the book is Gustav, and even there are things wrong. Liam (probably the guy on the right with that killer look on his face) actually has long flowy hair.
Duncan? While he looks that idiotic, he doesn't look like that (check
Julie
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
The League of Princes is back for one last hurrah! This time they are outlaws, accused of the murder of Briar Rose. Yes, she is dead. At least that's what the bards' songs say. And it's not just the princes who are on the run; the princesses are with them too. Well, all except Briar Rose, of course. And while trying to clear their names, the princes uncover an evil plot to take over the thirteen kingdoms!

The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw by Christopher Healy takes us on another crazy adventure
Me
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just a special mention to whomever took the book the one day I didn't check for it. You left your Pokemon card in the book.

I love the voice of the entire series. I picked it up, and it just completely engulfed me.

The introduction in the book I think was actually a brilliant idea. Since the voice and the humour are such a big part of the book, I think it was important to reintroduce us. I haven't read this series for almost a year, and this was definitely something that needed to be done. It co
Elizabeth
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book were fantastic. There were about two or three where the heroes are just staring/standing dramatically and pretty much just captured the entire ambience of the book.

All the princes were pretty awesome in this book and not as bumbly and incapable, yay! I mean, their chance to save the day was ruined by someone else doing it before them and getting all the credit (again), but still…they all had their awesome moments, especially Frederic, who is probably the most devel
Bayla
*Review of ARC*

Buzzwords: Heroism, reputation/public image, inner vs. outer strength, teamwork, friendship, romance (light), pirates, magic

At the end of the previous book, things don't look so great for our heroes and heroines - there's some things they didn't know about, and those things are kinda coming back to haunt them. Luckily, they're up for the task of defending the kingdoms. Again. As long as they work together.

One of the things I love most about The Hero's Guide books, along with the h
J.L. Burger
Jun 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I'll give a mild thumbs-up to this book. In any case, it is a must-read for anyone who read the first two of the series, although it is definitely the weakest of the series.

I'll just say this much: I loved books 1 and 2 of this series, and I mean LOVED. The reason for this had little to do with the plot or the characters, I just loved them because they made me laugh. Unfortunately, book 3 is much less funny than the first two (even the chapter titles aren't as funny) -- aside from one scene with
Mark Baker
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, middle-grade
Tragedy has struck in the Thirteen Kindgoms. The beloved (by those who have never had the displeasure of meeting her) princess Briar Rose has been murdered, and the League of Princes and their loyal friends (like Snow White, Ella, and Rapunzel) are the prime suspects. While the group goes on the run to clear their names, they learn of a broader conspiracy that could destroy all the land. Can they stop it without being caught and executed for a crime they didn’t commit?

This is the final book in a
Who is your favorite Hero's Guide character? 11 8 Oct 12, 2015 02:14PM
Who do you think Liam ends up with: Briar or Ella? 5 37 Oct 09, 2015 07:45AM
  • Once Upon the End (Half Upon a Time, #3)
  • The Terror of the Southlands (The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates, #2)
  • The Dyerville Tales
  • Of Sorcery and Snow (The Ever Afters #3)
  • Courting Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #3.5)
  • Codename Zero (The Codename Conspiracy #1)
  • Through the Skylight
  • Fluff Dragon (Bad Unicorn, #2)
  • The Field of Wacky Inventions (Floors #3)
  • A Dragon's Guide to the Care and Feeding of Humans (A Dragon's Guide, #1)
  • The Castle Behind Thorns
  • The Tell-Tale Start
  • A Question of Magic
  • The Accidental Keyhand (The Ninja Librarians #1)
  • Frogged
  • Smek for President! (Smek, #2)
  • The Perilous Princess Plot (Buckle and Squash #1)
  • The Cup and the Crown (Silver Bowl, #2)
Christopher Healy is the author of the Hero's Guide trilogy: The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom, The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle, and The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw. The series is a comedic adventure that follows the exploits of four different Prince Charmings in the aftermath of their not-quite-accurate fairy-tale fame. Published by Walden Pond Press, an imprint of HarperCollins ...more

The League of Princes (3 books)
  • The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom (The League of Princes, #1)
  • The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle (The League of Princes, #2)
“Ha! Good luck, lady!" Gustav laughed and tapped his thick index finger against his temple. "No one knows what goes on inside this head. Not even me.” 8 likes
“Everybody, listen!” he shouted to the far-off crowds. “Rundark has super-powerful magical bombs. And they will be headed straight toward those giant vision orbs you’re watching. You need to get as far away from those orbs as possible!”
And all around the Thirteen Kingdoms, seven people turned away from the orbs and fled. Yes, that’s right: seven. The thousands of others stayed glued to the action. They’d discovered a new form of moving-picture entertainment, and nothing was going to tear them away”
6 likes