Start by marking “Duallists” as Want to Read:
Duallists

Duallists

ON THE MOON, EVERYONE HAS A DARK SIDE.

One hundred years in the future, enormous mining vessels scour the surface of the Moon, prospecting for valuable metals and minerals. Trapped onboard for months at a time, the crew use drugs, virtual environments, gambling and pitfights to make life bearable.

Joel Miller doesn’t need any of those things. He has a new reason to live.

An e
Published August 12th 2013 by David Wailing (first published October 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Duallists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duallists

Kath Middleton
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an early work of David Wailing's which is only available (free) for the two weeks of the Edinburgh eBook festival. He doesn't intend to make it available through the usual outlets. The book is fairly hardcore science fiction and is set in a lunar mining colony. Joel and Reese have an intense hatred of one another and would happily battle to the death.
I found all the testosterone fueled fighting a bit teenage-rivalry for my taste but I was fascinated by the imagined technology in the luna
Nav Logan
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Duallists: by David Wailing.
As with all the books that I’ve read by this author, there is a great depth of thought into the setting of the novel and the characters within. Like a true artist, he has superbly set the scene on this sci-fi tale. Set in a mining ship on the moon, the backdrop to this tale is well thought out and believable.
Our would be hero is clearly showing the mental strain of his tour in space, having already left Earth with a plentiful amount of mental baggage, as his tour com
Joo
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is David Wailing’s off-earth future imaginings. Joel Miller takes an immediate and intense dislike to Reese when he arrives on the Moonbug for mining Mars. All he thinks about is getting even and trying to kill him. The feeling is mutual.

As with the author’s Auto series, you get thrown into the future and it is believable. You can feel the claustrophobia of being on a spaceship for years. The tone is adult with a bit of graphic violence.

This was a tidy read. I must admit I skimmed through
Dana Delamar
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent futuristic novella set on a ship that's mining the moon. As usual with Wailing's work, you think you know what's going on, but you don't. Not really. He plays nicely with the theme of identity here--who is Joel, in his heart of hearts? By the end, you're still not entirely sure--and neither is Joel.

Wailing also blurs the lines between "good" and "bad" in unexpected ways. Joel had my sympathy throughout the story, but did I even like him? That's hard to say. However, his story was comp
Michael Brookes
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've read and enjoyed many of the author's other book (especially the Auto series) but for some reason this one has languished on my TBR list for a long time. I've no idea why and it was a foolish move on my part because this is an excellent read. It's a sci-fi tale of man working as part of a mining operation on the Moon. The story centres around an obsession he has in out-doing one of his co-workers. In fact it's got so out of hand that there is a vendetta between the two men.

For me good sci-f
Melinda
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a Rush

Stark, violent, raw and savage, this is the story of a man in a vendetta against another worker, which escalates until either one or both may be killed. BUT, not everything is what it seems, as these two trade dirty deeds and blows within the insular moon mining colony. A fast paced, first person POV story that packs a punch. Recommended!
patrick Patton
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I was thinking about at all .

It was a good buildup , lots of interaction background , I thought that I had the background story nailed , but I was wrong and and that I was reasonably pleased, good story
Rick Chandler
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initially hard to follow, but..

The beginning about the two competing projects left me confused for a bit. Be patient it's a pretty entertaining read.
anil singh
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing

Really liked the concept and it has a surprising turn.......no spoliers. A really good read, and well worth the time.
Marie (UK)
I found it hard to rate this book. There are parts i did not like but overall it is an excellent read. Set in a future "big brother" type society a feud emerges between Reese and Joel both willing to go as far as necessary and both to some extent worked like puppets by those higher in the society.
John Cunningham-smith
An absolute belter of a Science Fiction story from David Wailing. Set on a mining colony on the moon, David's writing and imagination make it believable that these situations may exist. Characters are beautifully devised and I wasn't expecting the ending. Not a demanding read yet highly enjoyable. I'm not a Sci-Fi fan naturally, but I'm always engaged by David's books. Thoroughly Recommended.
James
Karen Mitchell
Mar 14, 2018
Helen Dashwood
Nov 15, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Second author attributed to my book by mistake 14 33 Jun 02, 2014 02:11AM
1 follower