Start by marking “Choose Your Weapon (The Helen of Hollingsworth Trilogy) (Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
Choose Your Weapon (The Helen of Hollingsworth Trilogy) (Volume 1)

Read Excerpt

Choose Your Weapon (The Helen of Hollingsworth Trilogy)

(The Helen of Hollingsworth Trilogy #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  23 ratings  ·  5 reviews
"A well-written, intelligent, exciting choice for readers looking to get hooked on a new fantasy series." --Kirkus Reviews

One of Kirkus Reviews' Best Indie Sci-Fi and Fantasy of 2013 books!

Helen dreads every day at her high school. The other kids call the quiet, overweight Latina sophomore a nerd—if they notice her at all. Her boyfriend prefers LARPing to hanging out with
Published 2013 by Quail School Press

Be the first to ask a question about Choose Your Weapon (The Helen of Hollingsworth Trilogy)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Choose Your Weapon (The Helen of Hollingsworth Trilogy) (Volume 1)
Ashley
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by my English teacher. I was pleasantly surprised to find myself hooked. It is the best book I read all summer. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves an adventure dragon filled book. Thank you Sarah Rodriguez Pratt for a great book!
Grace Troxel
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The following review was originally posted to my blog, Books Without Any Pictures: http://bookswithoutanypictures.wordpr...

I've been following Sarah Rodriguez Pratt's blog, That's a Girl's Car, for a long time now, and when she contacted me about reviewing her book, I was thrilled to accept.

Choose Your Weapon, the first book in the Helen of Hollingsworth Trilogy, is the story of a dragon-slaying high school girl trying to find her identity.

As a child, Helen loved the Glorious Dragonfighter
Jean ~ Kindle Queen
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-lendable
Now this is how I remember high school. Well, besides the "traveling to an alternate realm to fight dragons" part. :P I have trouble with a lot of YA, because love triangles just aren't realistic. But there were a lot of issues addressed in this book that were very realistic. Sure, there were a few life lessons that I saw coming (very obvious), but that doesn't make them any less true. I would have preferred a little bit more time in Erwingdon (especially in the second half of the book), but it ...more
Kathryn
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Helen lives a double life - high school is spent deflecting the scorn of the "cool" kids, while in another world she trains to slay the dragons who terrorized the fantasy novels she enjoyed as a child. Choose Your Weapon is like Pleasantville meets Mercedes Lackey - where a young woman becomes empowered in fantasy and carries it through her reality. A great read for young adults.
Amy
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: z2014, kindle, young-adult
The premise is really interesting--Helen is a high school student by day and a warrior-in-training in another world by night. I thought the writing was flat. So much telling, not nearly enough showing. The world of Erwingdon could have been more richly described. The morals were smack-you-in-the-facr heavy, and at the end of the book, Helen is still passive and conforming in her real life.
Julie Dominguez
Jeff
Dec 18, 2013
Elizabeth Tabor
Jan 04, 2014

• Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
  • Storm of Locusts (The Sixth World, #2)
Sarah Rodriguez Pratt grew up in McAllen, Texas. She has a Bachelor's degree in English from Harvard University, and a Master's degree in Information Studies (formerly Library Science) from the University of Texas at Austin. Her first young adult book, Choose Your Weapon, was one of Kirkus Reviews' Best Books of the Year in 2013. She lives in Austin, Texas.

Learn more about Sarah's books at