Start by marking “Mending Fences” as Want to Read:
Mending Fences

Mending Fences

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  1,149 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
Two families--bound by friendship-- devastated by secretsFor ten years Emily Dobbs and Marcie Carter have been the closest of friends. They've raised their kids together, shared joy and heartache, exchanged neighborhood gossip over tea. But when Marcie's son, now a college freshman sports star, is arrested for date rape, the bond between the families could be shattered for ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about Mending Fences, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mending Fences

Julie
Mending Fences by Sherryl Woods is a 2016 Mira publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was originally published back in 2007, but will be reissued by Mira with a new updated cover and will be available in digital format.
Neighbors, Marcie and Emily have been very good friends for almost a decade, going through life’s ups and downs and changes while raising their children who were also very close with one another.
Kari
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Mending Fences has recently been reissued by Harlequin. It's an earlier work by this author. But, one I'm glad they decided revive. The Dobbs and Carters have lived next to each other for years and have been friends just as long. When Evan Carter is arrested for raping a fellow college student, the friendship is put to the test.

The story isn't a "happy" one, in fact, it's pretty gut wrenching at times. Especially when it comes to Dani and her secret. I'm sure you can guess what it is as it's r
Estelle
Note: this book was originally written in 2007 and re-released in 2016.

What a page-turner. Marcie and Emily are best friends; they have been neighbors for years and their kids are practically siblings. But when Marcie's older son (and scouted college football player) is accused of date rape, the families face a lot of clashing. Marcie's husband is determined to do whatever he can to "protect" his son (including mudslinging the victim) and Emily is finding it tough to connect the dots between the
Julie
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it

Spring Clark
Aug 06, 2009 rated it liked it
This was an interesting read. What would you do if a member of your best friend's family were accused of a crime? How would your support and not judge? What would happen if the crime hit a closer to home - to one of your family members? Could you separate what was done to them from who did it and not blame others?

I liked this story and thought it raised lots of interesting questions.
Leslie
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I applaud Sherryl Woods for dealing with the difficult subject of date rape in this novel. Not entirely happy with the plot, but so good to be bringing light to this tragic situation that happens far too often.
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Jan 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
Great story. Two friends are best friends for 10 years and one of them's son is accused of date rape. Done very well. :)
Melinda
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite stand alone novels! I tend to lean toward series so I can see the character development from book to book. This one had it all. I also don't usually care for flashbacks in books, or jumping from past to present, but this was so well done that I didn't eve3n really care! Definitely my top pick so far this summer!!!!
Beth Lechman
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a well written story revolving around the ties of friendship and marriage when rape is thrown into the equation. Two families who are best friends face a struggle when the son of one of them is charged with rape of the daughter of the other family.
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

Sherryl Woods can tell an amazing story. She grabs your attention and your heart. Mothers and friends can relate to this gut wrenching dilemma and and see how you can come out on the other side.
Denise Thompson
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emotional and compelling

I pulled this book out every chance I could. There was every emotion imaginable and had inspiring characters. Great book!
Sandy Cox
Mending fences

This was an OK book. It held my interest. I have definitely enjoyed ms. Woods other series a lot more.
Cindy Grossi
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A dilemma between long time friends with a twist. This seemed very true to life and had me ripping right through it.
Debbie
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Good book but one big flaw - the "secret" that Dani has - her parents would have NEVER been so blasé about it at first like it was depicted.
Danyle
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I’ve read by this author and I enjoyed it a lot. The characters were all believable. I enjoy romance novels that have mystery as well as this one hit the mark.
Mom
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Two moms, two daughters, and two sons are best friends and neighbors for years until one son, a star college football player, is arrested for date rape. Book raises a lot of questions about how one would deal with such a tragedy. Good book club pick. Dialogue a little stilted but plot line makes up for it.
Marianne Jay
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
The premise of the book was really good. However, the characters really bugged me. Their lack of intelligence, good judgement, whining, and pure stupidity really bugged me.

This could have been a GREAT book if not for the poor characters.
Laurie
Jun 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-other
Phyllis
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Two families--bound by friendship-- devastated by secrets for ten years Emily Dobbs and Marcie Carter have been the closest of friends. They've raised their kids together, shared joy and heartache, exchanged neighborhood gossip over tea. But when Marcie's son, now a college freshman sports star, is arrested for date rape, the bond between the families could be shattered forever.

As the Carters try to deal with the unthinkable, Emily discovers her daughter has been hiding a terrible secret--a secr
Penny
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had not previously had the opportunity to read any of Sherryl Woods books, so I was delighted to win a copy from Goodreads.
The Dobbs and Carters are typical families with young children around the same age. The boys both love sports and are always together. While there is 2 years between the daughter’s nevertheless they hit it off and the moms become fast friends. The husbands don’t particularly hit it off, but manage to be civil to one another whenever there are family get togethers. The kids
Rema
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was just so freaking good. I loved every single minute of it! Everything had just the perfect balance to it. I really appreciated the flashback that showed how Marcie's and Emily's friendship grew. It really set forth the tone of the book and how a horrible event changed so many lives in so many ways. There weren't all that many surprises. I mean, you can kind of figure out some of the plot and what was going to happen next but none of that took away from the actual reading experience.
I do
Denise
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I'd call this a feel-good, easy-reader. Not that it wasn't without emotional conflict & hard decisions; Mending Fences had its fair share. However, in the end I love a tidy, wrapped-up book, and Sheryl Woods delivered.

On a side note... I'm a busy, working mom/nursing student & I found Mending Fences a comfortable end to my day while I read in bed. Her writing isn't cumbersome or pretentious. I'll be looking for more of her many books to read!

About Mending Fences

For ten years, Emily Dob
Liberty Abbott-Sylvester
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves an intense family drama
Recommended to Liberty by: Novel Ladies 5 Star Nomination
For more than ten years two women have been friends-Marci Carter, mother of two, married to a verbally abusive husband and Emily Dobbs, mother of two, married but alone due to a husband devoted to his job. Marcie and Emily have raised their children together, shared secrets, laughs and more. But that friendship is about to be tested as Marci's son Evan is accused of date rape. Marci's husband Ken will do anything to prove his son's innocence, even if that means losing his wife and daughter. Emil ...more
Jan Mcleod
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Everything I have read by Ms. Woods has been exceptionally good, but this novel surpasses them all!
There are a number of flashbacks in the story to fill in background information, establish character's personalities and relationships. However, the story now centers around Evan Carter, a college freshman who has a dual personality---Mr. Perfect and a bully who continually rapes young women.
Unfortunately, Evan's family, the Carters, and a close neighboring family, the Dobbs, have been good friends
Margie
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where to start talking about this amazing book - I don't think Contemporary Romance is the correct genre. It is a so much deeper subject and characters then what I think of as a traditional romance novel. There was some romance in it, but not what I think that most romance readers would expect.

This is hard to talk about without revealing spoilers, so I am going to be vague. I was into this book from page one and did not want to put it down at all. Even though it was deep, it was written so that
Rachel Geerlings
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading a Sherryl Woods novel, and it won't be my last! This novel takes a very sensitive topic and flushes it out into a very nuanced story, where so many other authors would have fallen into cliches and rushed storylines.

The story centers around two families who are neighbors and best friends. But when one family's son is accused of date rape, their bonds of friendship are tested. I particularly liked the portrayal of the relationship between the two wives...especially t
Laurel
May 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is the book I read; not another one by the same name that I added in error earlier. It's an "ok" fast read. It gives some good lessons to teach your teenagers, and some life lessons for spouses. I prefer books with a christian slant, but there is a moral tone in Emily's life philosophy. The main characters are in two families that do everything together as their young children are growing up. When the children are older teens, the oldest boy is accused of a heinous crime, and the families h ...more
Michele
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: con-rom
(I read the reissued version, as this was originally released in 2007.) This was an almost somber story where friendships--and marriages--were tested in the worst of ways. Thoughtfully written by Sherryl Woods, she wasn't afraid to delve into the darker issues of human nature here and in doing so, it may be too much for some readers. This particular story revolved around allegations of date rape. I thought Woods handled things very well, showing almost every side to the story and the emotions th ...more
this book is about 2 family's that meet and share a life for several years. children and parents becoming friends/family. each family has its own problems which they discuss or hide from the other. it covers present, to past, to present. 1 day something tragic happens ripping 1 family apart but with a domino effect hitting the other one, one with a secret kept by the daughter which could initially tear the bond between mothers/families apart for life...
Massanutten Regional Library
Denise, Central patron, June 2016, 5 stars:

Two families that get close. The mothers are like sisters and go to each other for moral support and the kids are very close as well. Can their relationships survive a tragic secret that comes to light and mend the fences that have been torn down? Great book. I wasn't sure I would like this book because of the subject matter but it is the underlying theme that dominates.
  • The Horsemaster's Daughter (Calhoun Chronicles #2)
  • Orchard Valley Brides: Norah\Lone Star Lovin'
  • The Hellion
  • The Life She Wants
  • Exposé (Sally Harrington, #1)
  • Missing
  • Celebration
  • Sacred Ground
  • Streets of Blood (Shadowrun, #8)
  • Joanna's Husband and David's Wife
  • Sweet Talk Boxed Set
  • The Passions of Chelsea Kane
With two other careers to her credit before becoming a novelist and four states in which she's lived for extended periods of time, Sherryl Woods has collected friends and memories, along with way too much unnecessary junk.

"The friends are the only things I've brought with me through the years that really matter," she says. "I could probably live without one more chintz teacup, another tin-litho sa
More about Sherryl Woods...