Start by marking “Pope Francis: Why He Leads the Way He Leads” as Want to Read:
Pope Francis: Why He Leads the Way He Leads

Pope Francis: Why He Leads the Way He Leads

TIME Magazine’s Person of the Year: Pope Francis
Learn about the First Jesuit Pope from America’s Leading Jesuit Publisher

Pope Francis by Chris Lowney is that rare and splendid work that leaves you keenly excited and spiritually moved. The writing is lucid, vivid, inviting, and rich. It’s a major achievement. I strongly recommend it to any Christian in a leadership role.”
Published October 4th 2013 by Loyola Press (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Pope Francis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pope Francis

Start your review of Pope Francis: Why He Leads the Way He Leads
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-list, favorites
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book. Would it be a business book? Or a spiritual book written by a business guy? Or a biography with business tips? Or...something altogether different?

Turns out, the answer is yes.

This is a book of lessons, yes, but it's also a book of insight. So much has been said about Pope Francis. The man can't say a sentence without people jumping in to interpret and explain.

Lowney takes a different approach. He has Jesuit training and shares some important backgrou
James 'jim'
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
A good summary of Ignatian spirituality as exemplified by Pope Francis. It also shows how good leadership has a spiritual underpinning.
John
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating look at Pope Francis from an ex-Jesuit who has written about leadership. Several fascinating tales about the pope's life.
Peter Atkinson
In Pope Francis – Why He Leads The Way He Leads, Chris Lowney reveals how Pope Francis’ Jesuit background has shaped his leadership principles. The author draws on 3 sources of information to illustrate Pope Francis’ leadership style:

• What he has been “saying and doing” during his papacy;
• Leadership values he emphasized while supervising Jesuit trainees in Argentina;
• Principles he learned during his own Jesuit training.

Lowney identifies “six habits and convictions” (9) that define Pope Franc
Sister
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very engaging. I borrowed it from a friend and now I want my own copy. I have a better understanding of Pope Francis with each book I read - this is no exception. He certainly seems to be a person who leads by example and isn't afraid to "smell like the sheep". There are many nuggets of wisdom here, even a leadership manifesto in the last chapter. I don't think it matters whether you are leading a small group or a large organization, you can find much in this book to help you be better.
Joe Boenzi
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to me by one of my students, I bought this book as a resource for a course that I am teaching in the "theology of Church" (ecclesiology). However, during the Easter Season I used this book for my own spiritual reading, taking time with each chapter.

What is different about this book on the pope is that the author normally writes management or business leadership books. That is obvious from the tone and structure. Yet, the author admits from the beginning that he was educated by the J
Tom Carrico
The best book on leadership that I have ever read.
Ashley
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great description of a Jesuit approach to leadership (and some background about Pope Franciss personal history). Not the best writing (can be repetitive) but good key themes for reflection.
Joe Stobaugh
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent analysis and integration of core Ignatian spiritual practices as they relate to the leadership of Pope Francis.
Laurie Mcclary
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was originally posted on my website: www.lauriemcclaryblog.com

I had some reservations about this book when I first picked it up. I wasn’t sure what to expect.

Not being Catholic, how would this book apply to me? What does a Pope have to say about leadership with any relevance to the world outside the Catholic Church?

However, within the first couple of pages I was quickly reminded that in the world of today we all have influence. Everyone has a platform and I do mean everyone. Be it family,
Nov 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This book illustrates a common sense approach to leadership with an Ignatian spirituality twist. Certainly Pope Francis's leadership style, which is grounded in his Jesuit training, is a wonderful back drop to convey how to lead others in a moral, ethical, and effective manner. This Christian/Catholic spin to leadership training using many of Pope Francis's experiences, quotations, and anecdotes is lovely, but the bottom line is still the same: A great leader lives in the present, reveres tradit ...more
Joanne
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Lowney, a former Jesuit and then investment banker, looks at how Pope Francis' Jesuit training makes him uniquely qualified to lead the Catholic Church at this time of crisis. The world is changing rapidly, and the Catholic Church throughout the world is seeing precipitous declines in membership. The former pope called repeatedly for "urgent" change, but that's hard for a 2000-year old, traditionalist organization to do.
Raul Rodriguez
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was am inspiring read. Understanding the challenges,real power and responsibility of leadership in a changing environment is simply stated and humbling.
A passage that stayed with me in his call to service,
"Do not just look, do something. Once you walk among us and know our reality, you will never be content to witness suffering passively".
Earl
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A real must if you are (a) still wondering how the Francesco phenomenon works in the Church, (b) still searching for your own leadership style, or both.

As for me, a lot of these things are really familiar to me as a seminarian, and I think it's good that we share this great treasure that the Pope brings to everyone.
Jim McTAGUE
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Compelling, well-written book which examines the Pope through the lens of his Jesuit formation. Lowney suggests that leaders adopt the Francis approach to management, which essentially is the credo of Francis Ignatius, the Spanish soldier who founded the Jesuit religious order. You don't have to be Catholic to enjoy this provocative call for leaders to be morally grounded.
Robin
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed. The author seemed to primarily be drawing parallels between his background (Jesuit) and management style with those of Pope Francis. I was expecting a book about why Pope Francis leads the way he does, not about why Chris Lowney leads the way he does.
T Lewandowski
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, thoughtful book. Written by a man who completed part of the Jesuit formation program. Good insights both for the spiritual person and those without a religious/spiritual affiliation. Will be one to re-read.
Wanda
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a gift I gave to myself at Christmas!!!. An excellent reading to everybody. A clear and simple message for each one of us.
'Special' Ed Harris
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of New Pope and this book provides an awful lot of insight into what started out as his ability to panic the Vatican at the drop of a hat.
Mariela Gallotti
¡He registrado un libro en BookCrossing.com!
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
True leadership is service.
Elreen Santos
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
inspiring and motivates one to act with focus, compassion and courage :)
Bob Buhr
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book and learning how and more importantly how Pope Francis leads and the Jesuit philosophy - which is something we all should all consider subscribing to.
Sandra

• Nothing Special
  • Narrow Dog To Carcassonne
  • Still Life with Bread Crumbs
  • Everything Is Spiritual: Who We Are and What We're Doing Here
  • The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers (Cat Who..., #29)
  • Mr. Chartwell
  • The Quiet Man: The Indispensable Presidency of George H.W. Bush
  • In My Time: A Personal and Political Memoir
  • The Restless Wave: Good Times, Just Causes, Great Fights and Other Appreciations
  • The Final Days
  • Eisenhower on Leadership: Ike's Enduring Lessons in Total Victory Management
  • Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win
  • How Good Do You Want to Be?: A Champion's Tips on How to Lead and Succeed at Work and in Life
  • The Jasmine Moon Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery, #5)
  • The Lucky Gourd Shop
  • The Art of the Personal Essay: An Anthology from the Classical Era to the Present
Chris Lowney chairs the board of Catholic Health Initiatives, one of the nation’s largest healthcare/hospital systems with some $ 19 billion in assets. He is a one-time Jesuit seminarian who later served as a Managing Director of J.P. Morgan & Co in New York, Tokyo, Singapore and London until leaving the firm in 2001. He is a popular keynote speaker who has lectured in more than two-dozen countrie ...more