Start by marking “Divergent Thinking: YA Authors on Veronica Roth's Divergent Trilogy” as Want to Read:
Divergent Thinking: YA Authors on Veronica Roth's Divergent Trilogy

Divergent Thinking: YA Authors on Veronica Roth's Divergent Trilogy

Veronica Roth’s Divergent trilogy (Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant) has captured the hearts and thoughts of millions of readers. In Divergent Thinking, YA authors explore even more of Tris and Tobias’ world, including:

� What Divergent’s factions have in common with one of psychology’s most prominent personality models
� The biology of fear: where it comes from and how Tris
Published March 4th 2014 by Smart Pop

Start your review of Divergent Thinking: YA Authors on Veronica Roth's Divergent Trilogy
Tiffany York
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review: When I first saw this book on NetGalley, it only took me a matter of seconds to put in the request for it, and I was thrilled when that request was accepted. I love the Divergent series (it probably borders on obsession these days), so I was eager to see what this book had to hold. NOTE: This book should not be read until AFTER you complete the series. It talks about things that happen throughout the whole series, so it is not something that you would want to read first, unless you want ...more
Ilana
Feb 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Title: Divergent Thinking
Author: Leah Wilson
Publisher/Year: BenBella Books Inc 3/4/14
Length: 256 Pages

Overview

� The biology of fear: where it comes from and how Tris and the other
Hazel
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
My rating: 4.5

This eBook was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

For fans of Veronica Roth’s Divergent series here is a book that delves deeper into the trilogy. Commonly referred to as “the next Hunger Games” Leah Wilson has compiled together several essays that treat Divergent in its own right. Divergent Thinking: YA Authors on Veronica Roth’s Divergent Trilogy is full of a variety of ideas each expressed by a different well-known author.

Although Divergent i
Missy
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Even though there were some essays I didn't particularly found... let's say useful, most of them were really interesting. I don't regret buying this book and I recommend it to all the Divergent fans out there ;)
Beatrice
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Divergent Thinking was extremely interesting and it encouraged exactly that -- divergent thinking. I was challenged to view the trilogy that I had known and adored in ways that I had not previously considered. Involving concepts of psychology such as the Big Five personality traits and the likelihood of moral abandon in the face of authority, this compilation of essays was mind opening and a very refreshing take on Veronica Roth's work.

Divergent Thinking explored a variety of aspects of the tril
Terri M.
I was so excited to see a collection of essays about Veronica Roth’s Divergent series. I read a similar collection of essays for The Hunger Games series and I gained helpful insight into the novels. I was hoping for the same with Divergent Thinking.

It took me a long time to finish Divergent Thinking. I found it difficult to engage with the essays as most of them focused on the psychology of Tris and/or the factions. The collection felt repetitious as many of the authors seemed to be examining th
Kyle
Jan 31, 2014 marked it as will-not-read
Somebody give me one legitimate reason as to why this should be written.

Maybe I would feel differently if I was a fan (I don't mind THG non-fiction books, but I actually like those books), but really?

THG received international attention and wasn't just a book-person type of book. It was being read by everyone, everywhere by the time the movie came out. Based on the people I've come across, this series isn't at all like that, and I predict the movie is going to flop at the box office since it wo
Chelsea
Apr 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked this book overall. It was interesting, as well as informative. However, the essay written by Maria Snyder and her daughter Jenna was terrible. It was practically irrelevant to the actual series. They basically reiterated what we already knew and what the other essays had conveyed to us in the scant parts that were about the Divergent series, and filled up the rest of their text with information we never asked for, nor wanted. Snyder and her daughter are two bigots that enjoy the sound of ...more
Ozana Ozzy
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans
If you are really big fan of Divergent series this kind of book is for you..fractions, details and differences between them, dress code and way of behaving, thinking, divergent and diversity, why fractions exists...

Everything that you already knew from the books,(assuming that you red them all - sure you are because you are holding this one in your hands) but you need prolong reading experience just a bit longer, (before they finish 3 or 4 more movies to exploit popularity of now lucrative fran
Ari
This is one of those books that you grab because you are a fan of a series and you don't seem to be able to let go.

One thing that people should know is that it is related to the whole series, as maybe people that will pick it up are fans of the first book but didn't get the chance to read the rest of it. Anyways, it was interesting to see the opinions regarding Divergent, the input on fractions, fractionless, choices, courage, fear, secrets and lies.. and so on.

It is not actually my type of boo
Ash
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Erikka
Feb 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2014
First of all, don’t read this book if you haven’t finished Allegiant yet—spoilers aplenty. I have read a book like this before—authors analyzing a work they find intriguing (in this case, Pride and Prejudice)—and I enjoyed it as well. I think seeing what others think, especially those who write for a living, can help open your own opinions and make you view the work differently. I’ll review each essay separately, as that only seems fair.

From Factions to Fire Signs—an analysis of the innate human
Savannah (Books by the Beach Reviews) Avery
It was hard for me to give this book a rating since it was composed of so many different essays, but overall I decided to give it 3 stars.

So some of these essays were incredibly boring and drawn out, however most of them were insightful and helped me really think about the divergent series.
Savanna Roberts
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Five Stars ~

For all of the essays causing me to think more in-depth about the issues, truths, lies, and values (or lack there of) in the Divergent trilogy, and giving me a deeper appreciation for the series.
Kelley
Sometimes I randomly browse NetGalley and request books purely on a whim, and this is one such example. Though I really liked Divergent when I first read it, my satisfaction with the series declined with each successive book (not that I ended up hating it or anything -- I rated Allegiant 3 stars). That being said, one of my favorite things to do with books is analyze and speculate. (And no, not like in English class; I like my reading, analysis, and speculation to be interesting and enjoyable.)

I
Moon Shine Art Spot ~ Lisa
My thoughts:

I love books like this that have different authors direct the original texts with their psychological break downs and their ideas of how the Divergent books relate to modern day thinking, how something like this could happen, why it may be possible, what in our own minds pulls us so strongly to the books. Let's face it, many of these books hit close to home and scare the shit out of us as far as what the future may hold, and the reality of how much of this "fiction" is actually prese
Becca ♥︎  PrettyLittleMemoirs.com
As Reviewed on Pretty Little Memoirs with thanks to BenBella books!

Having read the entire Divergent series (and you should read all three books for delving into some spoilers regarding the series), I was ready to delve back into the world of Tris and Tobias and examining Dauntless, among the many factions alike. The book was split into several different segments that one of the various authors would write, explaining a bit more about that particular element of the series. For example, Rosemary C
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, dystopian
I haven’t yet met a reader who didn’t like Divergent. For all its implausibility, the radical concept of the factions and the intensity of the plot seem to win over even the most jaded of YA fans. Its complex themes, which explore individual psychology, politics, family relationships and social ideology, are a great source for analysis. This collection of essays will probably be essential reading for obsessive fans but it’s interesting for even the casual reader.
All the essays are well written
Crys
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was surprised not by how much I enjoyed reading the essays in this book but by how applicable I can make them in my classroom. As an AP Language teacher, I am always looking for interesting non-fiction pieces, especially ones that connect to YA, and this book definitely meets those standards.

This book covers a lot of interesting questions, several focusing on how factions work not just in the series but in life as well. We naturally “faction” ourselves off, and the authors explore and connect
Erin
Feb 01, 2014 rated it liked it
*Review copy c/o Netgalley

Divergent Thinking is a new non-fiction title featuring short essays and discussions from a selection of YA authors, all based around various aspects of Veronica Roth’s best-selling Divergent trilogy. Each of the contributing authors talk about something they personally took away from the series and topics range from how the factions correspond to psychology’s ‘big five’ personality traits and what true bravery really is, to mapping out the landmarks of the series onto
Taylor
I received a free ARC from Net galley in exchange for an honest review. Overall, I was pretty disappointed in this collection of essays. I was excited to read it because I read the first two books in the trilogy and loved them. I also enjoyed this publisher's collection of essays on The Hunger Games. However, this book just fell short of my expectations. I found myself skimming through essays after deciding I didn't like the writing style or became bored as it dragged on. There was one essay tha ...more
Alice Yu
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Divergent is a book which really caught me up. I never knew a reader that disliked divergent, and i'm glad how well these analysis went for readers. It explores in themes such as psychology, sociology, conception of self, definition of sin and bravery, pursuit of knowledge, and to make the right choice. I believe that it is not only suitable for divergent fans, but also for readers which have not yet read the divergent series( but you will be spoiled!!!!!!!)
Their analysis and opinions were well
Tasia
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I received ARC from the publisher via NetGalley.

I knew from the moment I seen this on on NetGally, I knew that I needed to read it. I adored the Divergent trilogy and was excited to read other people's opinions and thoughts of it.

Overall, I thought this book was quite good and quite interesting. It's a bit nerdy of me, but I enjoy reading essays--especially those that dig into the depths and psychology of books. This was certainly the book for me!

I think this is a great resource, especially for
Bobbie
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read, helped confirm my guesses as to locations of the factions in Chicago. This also gave me insight that I may have overlooked, leading me to re-read and re-think some parts of the series. Honestly, I still do not like the way Veronica Roth ended the series, but at least I understand a bit better than before I read this book.

This was like having a book discussion with these authors and was actually enjoyable. Would be even more fun to have an online live chat with all of these AND Veroni
Megan Brogdon
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is for anyone that LOVES the Divergent series. Each author supplements and explores the already deep stories of Tris and Tobias throughout the series. I loved each and every essay and the new perspectives brought to the story by those who are also passionate about the messages that Roth and the series are giving readers. My favorite essay is that which locates all the faction locations, school, etc.. as it is laid out by Tris throughout the series. I would highly recommend this to anyo ...more
Dee/ bookworm
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Divergent Thinking was a fascinating read. The authors really studied all of the Divergent series by Veronica Roth! They dissected and drew parallels with our society as well as historical societies and references. The writing by each author was insightful and well written. Whereas this could be dry material, with the writing it was brought to life. It was incredible the depth and precision they gave in their studies. I wonder if Veronica Roth had any idea what an impact her novels would have on ...more
San Juanita
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-to-read
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway :D

I enjoyed reading it and it certainly makes you think. It made me look at the Divergent trilogy and how it compares to modern psychological traits. It helps understand some questions in regards to the purpose of the factions and why it was so important for people to fit in into just one faction.
Marcia
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this book as part of the research I am doing for my master thesis, which is about the current popularity of the dystopian genre amongst adolescents.

The essays in Divergent Thinking: YA Authors on Veronica Roth's Divergent Trilogy gave me some interesting insights in this series and I enjoyed the different point of views :)
PC
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Being a huge Divergent fan it was wonderful to read these essays that not only confirmed but informed my thinking on the series.
You do not have to be an academic to read these essays. They are expertly written, extremely interesting and will aid your understanding of the series.
If you are a Divergent fan this book is a must for you!
Analouise Keating
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This collection offers a variety of useful perspectives on Veronica Roths' Divergent Trilogy. Highly recommended if you enjoyed the series and want to challenge yourself to think about it in additional ways.

• The Panem Companion
  • The Tyrant's Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • Side Effects May Vary
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Stepsister
  • Permanent Record
  • Requiem (Delirium, #3)
  • The Best Lies
  • #Murdertrending (MurderTrending, #1)
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
  • The Winter Sister
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • The Lost Continent (Wings of Fire, #11)
  • Eden Conquered (Dividing Eden, #2)
  • The Winemaker's Wife
  • Burn for Burn (Burn for Burn, #1)
  • April 4, 1968: Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Death and How It Changed America
  • Gingerbread
Leah Wilson is Editor-in-Chief of the Smart Pop imprint of Dallas-based publisher BenBella Books. She graduated from Duke University in 2003 with a degree in Culture and Modern Fiction, and lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Fall season premiere schedules make her a little giddy.

(Her author blog is the main blog for Smart Pop's website, and she'll be using this Goodreads account in part to do some