Start by marking “Spark (North Star, #1)” as Want to Read:
Spark (North Star, #1)

Spark

(North Star #1)

A love story with a seventeen-year intermission.

Hugo Thorson fell in love when he was sixteen. He’s maybe been in love since, but probably not. He’s been too busy directing plays to devote much time to men who can’t accept all of him. No one ever made him feel like his first love did.

Kevin Magnus married a woman and has two children, but the marriage wasn’t happy. In the
ebook, 1 edition, 304 pages
Published September 2nd 2013 by Dreamspinner Press (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Spark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spark

Jenni
I'm a bit at a loss for were to go with this review, so I'll get this out of the way first: I love this book, and I love Posy Roberts.

A few weeks ago, I read Roberts' Feathers From the Sky, a holiday-themed short story, and was enamored. I immediately searched her other works and settled on Spark, the story of two men reunited after a brief romance in their youth.

Warning No. 1: Spark starts off so strong you're going to want to clear your schedule. I promise you won't be able to put it down. Ho
Karen
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wanted to love it more, honest I did...

'Sparks' is the third book that I've read by Posy Roberts the other two were 'Feathers From the Sky' and 'Fall Into You' both of these books were 5 star reads for me. They were so fantastic. So I have to wonder if maybe my expectations were a little over the top with this one.

While I didn't find myself becoming as absorbed with 'Sparks' as I was with 'Fall Into You' neither was it by any means a bad story. 'Sparks' is the beginning of a trilogy so it gi
Maggie Simms

edit review: I reread this book and loved it the second time around. I even downloaded the prequel and the sequel to it. Posy Roberts is a great writer.

Though I really enjoyed this book the second time around, There were several things about it that still annoyed me a bit, though:

*Summer. She is the typical all knowing, mother hen, meddling fag hag.

*I didn't really get the whole drama revolving around 'Miss Cherry Pop'. Hugo, who was an actor, PERFORMED in drags in a show. He did not LIVE in dra
Sandra
Fluffy with a bit of angst in a love story spanning 17 years and second chances.

Hugo and Kevin were best friends and then closeted lovers in high school. Both keep the relationship hidden, for different reasons. College and family expectations made them drift apart, though neither ever forgot his first love.

Where Hugo comes out in college and finds a mostly fulfilling career as an actor and director, including a gig in drag as Miss Cherrie Pop, Kevin follows the path set forth by his controllin
Sheziss
I feel divided with this book.

There were parts I adored here, but also there were parts I was really bored. It’s a slow burn book, in the sense of writing. Everything was done with no rush, very quietly. It’s a love story born from friendship, a story of the first love in youth, and of separation and distance, in time and place. Until one day fate decides to join them again. Lucky for them they are single when they meet again. In that moment, flames of passion blossom, and they decide there won
Samantha
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Samantha by: SueM
4.5 Stars rounded up.

First thought:
WHAT?! IT ENDED THERE?!

Second thought:
...recipes... yum.

But seriously, I was like so excited and then it was just done and that made me super sad.

Spark tells the story of Hugo & Kevin, high school (secret) sweethearts, brought back together by a chance circumstance. They've each done a lot of growing, but one thing that's never changed is their love for each other. This is about them finding each other again, and starting off where they left, and making s
Tina

4,5 stars

Loved it and can't wait to start Fusion, the 2nd book of the North Star trilogy.
Emily Seelye
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, arc
Anke
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love this cover:)

I had mixed feelings while reading this book. The writing was very good and I rather couldn't put it down. I liked that here finally were women who were nice, friends, supportive and not evil and bad. I liked the kids and their interactions, vey well done. I liked Hugo very much, his background and how he took his life in his hands. Yes, some boyfriend-troubles, but overall he's pretty happy with his life. And he has his one best friend Summer - love them both together.

Well, w
Elizabetta

I can really, really see why this would be a great read for many people. It is a sweet, coming-of-age story with two very likable, interesting guys. (I really started sitting up more when Miss Cherry Pop! showed up. I wish she'd made and appearance earlier on.)

And I think the story is heartfelt, too. And, I have read other stuff by this author that I've liked, though I'm beginning to think it's the style I'm not really keen on... So, it's all on me that I couldn't really get engaged wit
jules0623
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie
4.25 Stars

Omg, I absolutely LOVED this story. I’ve read plenty of Posy Roberts’ books and I have no clue how I missed this series, but I’m excited to get to read them now.

I loved Hugo, and my heart absolutely broke for him and all he went through. He had such loving parents and it was so sad to see him have to suffer the slow and agonizing loss of his father. I just wanted to hug and comfort him.

Kevin, I also felt bad for him, but I also kinda wanted to strangle him. I understand that when th
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

Spark is one of those books that I am finding difficult to describe. I loved it. It is not angst filled or full of extreme emotions. It is subtle and flowing, written in a beautiful ,descriptive prose that painted images clearly in my mind and pulled me into the story.

Spark is a story about friendship, meeting our family’s expectations as well as our own, discovering one’s sexuality, life dreams, finding and losing love then discovering an unexpect
Pjm12
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this ponderous yet engaging journey to bring Kevin and Hugo back together after 17 years apart.

The narrative does flash back and forth quite a lot initially, but there isn't a lot of angst or obstacle to their love. Yes, Kevin has to out himself, but with Hugo as the prize, there's not much chance that not going to happen. And yes, Hugo does have his own secret identity, but we all know Kevin is too in love to let a little thing like Miss Cherrie! turn him off.

The kids are a
Jay Northcote
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was a pre-reader for this so am not entirely impartial, but I loved this story.

Spark is a beautiful story of second chances. Posy Roberts skilfully weaves the strands of two love stories - Hugo and Kevin's first love affair at high school and their reunion years later.

This is a rich and complex story with many layers, and a big cast of characters. But Posy does a great job of creating a satisfying story in this first part of the trilogy. Although some things are left open-ended you're not left
♥J ♥
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended to ♥J ♥ by: Samantha
Shelves: mm, freebies
Unfortunately a lot of this book is told and not experienced and there is a lot of repetition of the same thought/idea throughout. I did enjoy the characters and the story concept, it just failed in it's delivery.

I may read book 2 eventually if it fits a challenge, just to see how this progresses.
SheReadsALot
"Spark," by Posy Roberts is part of our free November Tweetaways! Available for an hour.

Ends 10:30pm EST 11/14/13
Shelby
This was a really touching tale of reconnection and a love that just didn't want to die. I really enjoyed the intermixing of the past with the present. Kevin and Hugo's past was revealed in a manner that clarified who they were to each other without bogging down the story as they reconnected. I enjoyed getting to know these two as kids and then as the men they've become. I particularly liked that their high school love affair didn't disappear because of any huge blowup or scandal. There's someth ...more
Sahar
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
A good fluffy and confortable romance with some important issues discussed.
I wouldn't recommand this book for someone who's starting with M/M romance because the sex scenes are really graphic and explicit even though they're well written.
It could be too much for a first read in the genre, so something tamer would be better in that case.
Update lecture : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieUMQ...
Heather
Nov 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Heather by: Samantha
Wait. It's just ends like that??

I have a hard hard time with flashback books. Which occurs with a majority of this book. With both POV's that overlap with each other, during the same time reference. I guess I need just a bit more of character interactions in the present. It doesn't help that I'm not a fan of YA types either. I just don't deal well with high school angst.

With all that said. I did like it. While I didn't love it, I liked the idea of old love rekindling into a new love.
But, I did
AnnaLund
4,5 stars, rounded up

For my honest and true view of this book, please read …MORE

Goodreads TOS-compliant review (I think, let me know when they tell us what the rules are):

"The book I just read is about two (or three) lovely people, written in beautiful language, by a very good and prolific author. I liked it very, very much.
It is for sale on Amazon.”

DISCLAIMER: My reviews now all have this pretty face, so that all and everyone on Goodreads can stay happy and beatific. I’ll let you know if I ch
Erin
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sometimes a book without too much drama and conflict is a good thing and sometimes it's just what you need.

This book had a wonderful flow to it without being tragic or sad. I bought the idea that Hugo and Kevin were still in love after so many years. There are some people we lose touch with because of some unfortunate twist of fate and reuniting with them changes your life for the better.

More to say but I hate spoilers so I'll leave it at this... if you want to read a great book that will leave
Jamie
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it

I liked this story and I want to read more, but as others have noted the "telling" instead of "showing" was a bit irritating. It's also repetitive. I did really love the connection between Kevin and Hugo, it was palpable and I loved any scene where it was the two of them.

I will read the sequel but I'm not in a hurry.
jagr9563
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, ebooks, m-m
I believe I've read everything Posey has written - and I was (and still am!) honored to be a pre-reader for Spark. It is such a beautifully written book that I couldn't put it down. I'm a little late in getting this review out, but I honestly encourage everyone to read this series. You will not be disappointed!
Brandon Witt
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful love story with exceptional writing!
Becca
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so the heartstrings have been plucked, played, whatever other word you want to use. Holy cow! Such a good, good book. And I'm ready to hurry up and read book 2, but I may not survive if anything  happens to these two. They've been through a lot already.
I don't know which of these two I felt the most for. I love them both but man, do I feel bad for them. Both feel the constraints of the environment around them. Whether it be family, school, the town, whatever. Neither were really allowed to b
Mari Cardenas ~ Bayou Book Junkie
4.25 Stars

Spark is book 1 in the North Star Trilogy by Posy Roberts, which is currently being re-worked and re-edited.

The first half of this first book goes back and forth between past (back when Hugo and Kevin were sixteen to eighteen) and present, seventeen years after they last saw each other. I don't particularly care for all the jumping around, I prefer to remain in the past, have it all hashed out and then go to the present, however, Ms. Roberts somehow made it work and it wasn't nearly a
Katie
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received the book in exchange for an honest review*

Honestly, I’m not quite sure how to start this review. I have a bit of a…love-hate relationship with this book I guess. First of all, it’s not a standalone and while it does have a HFN (I guess, it’s happy in the end), it’s…annoying to know there’s more to the couple’s story and NOW YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE.

The beginning of the book was a bit meh to me, but it did pick up later so I am glad I carried through and haven’t given up on i
Denise GremoryKohta
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I am a big fan of friends to lovers and this book is a prime example why. You get so much more than a love story. You get a feel of the times and how the boys/men feel with them. Their struggles and the pressure the felt then and now. It is so much more. The characters are what really got me. I loved Hugo from the start. Kevin I went back and forth on. I understood his reasons but it took me longer to fall for him. Summer is my girl. Her relationship with Hugo is an example of a true friend
Otterpuss
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While there is a lot of information and history imparted in the opening few chapters of this book, stick with it because it's a great read.

The characters are likeable and believable and the author weaves a wonderful tale.

Its complex, multi layered and beautifully written.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Stranded (Stranded, #1)
  • A Still, Small Voice
  • Salvage (Salvage Stories, #1)
  • Tarnished Gold (Tarnished, #1)
  • Honor C
  • Cross Bones
  • Hot Mess
  • Prelude (Blue Notes, #4)
  • Spring Affair (Seasons of Love, #1)
  • Private Display of Affection
  • The Little Things
  • The Gig (Speechless #2)
  • Desires' Guardian (Desires Entwined, #2)
  • Beggars and Choosers (Beggars and Choosers, #1)
  • Catch My Breath
  • Behind the Curtain
  • Boots for the Gentleman (Steamcraft and Sorcery, #1)
  • Brown-Eyed Devil (Brown-Eyed Devil #1)
Posy Roberts started reading romance when she was young, sneaking peeks at adult books long before she should’ve. Textbooks eventually replaced the novels, and for years she existed without reading for fun. When she finally picked up a romance two decades later, it was like slipping on a soft hoodie . . . that didn’t quite fit like it used to. She wanted something more.

She wanted to read about men

North Star (3 books)
  • Fusion (North Star #2)
  • Flare (North Star #3)
“I've been in love with Kevin since I was sixteen years old, babe. There's no falling when I've never been able to get back up from it.” 5 likes