Start by marking “Unveiled” as Want to Read:
Unveiled

Unveiled (Lineage of Grace #1)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  14,631 Ratings  ·  391 Reviews
The first of a five-book series, Unveiled is the story of Tamar, one of the unlikely women in the lineage of Jesus. Rivers, the award-winning author of The Last Sin Eater, brings the story to life in her trademark style and includes a Bible study and an ancestral chart of Jesus.
Paperback, Large Print, 231 pages
Published August 31st 2006 by Christian Large Print (first published April 6th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Unveiled, please sign up.

Courtney Hall I also feel that the book is appropriately categorized as "Christian." Although the story of Tamar is in the Old Testament, the Old Testament…moreI also feel that the book is appropriately categorized as "Christian." Although the story of Tamar is in the Old Testament, the Old Testament comprises more than half of the Bible, which is the religious text of Christianity. This particular series by Francine Rivers highlights women within the lineage of Jesus. It would be inappropriate to categorize any book in this series as "Jewish" because the Jewish religion does not recognize Jesus as the Messiah. Additionally, the term "Biblical" could be used to accurately describe any story taking place within the Bible - Old or New Testaments - so it would not be more descriptive than "Christian."(less)

Tandra
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this novella by chance from the free table at my local library, and I am so glad I did. I've never really read a novelization of biblical stories before, but I'm going to have to get the rest in this series.

Unveiled is a beautiful and uplifting story about the Canaanite woman Tamar, who was married to the great-grandsons of Abraham and the daughter-in-law of Judah. Although Christianity is often disparaged for the poor treatment and bland roles of women, this novelization points out
Cortney
Dec 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was great...a quick read as well. It is a fictional story based on scripture regarding Joseph's brother Judah. I enjoy Francine Rivers writing because she does studies at the end of her books and states this is her perception based on scripture.
There is a series of these books of women in the Bible. I can't wait to read the next one!
Shelly
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had never studied Tamar. I could not put this down.
Ruby
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My local librarian was reading this and told me it was great. it was her first Christian fiction book and might be my first too. Francine Rivers does an excellent job keeping the reader captivated with the story. It was a fast paced book. The Bible reference she bases the whole story from is in Genesis 37,& 38. The foundation is solid in my opinion. She adds a bible study at the end. I found it very interesting she also added a genealogy chart for Jesus the Christ and explains that the five ...more
Mandy J. Hoffman
In the Bible there are many accounts of lives that are summarized in only a few short verses. It's easy to read them and keep going without giving them much thought. I am not saying that we need to read more into them then is there, but there are times we don't really meditate on the passage to the fullest. Francine Rivers takes a passage like that and turns it into a novel that explores what MIGHT have been. Remember, this is fiction based on a few facts...so while the skeleton may be truth, th ...more
Katie
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up and when I had a few hours to wait this afternoon, and was delighted with this little novella. It made for an easy read -- I finished it in one sitting -- and yet it had a lot of heart behind it, too.

I have always been intrigued about Tamar's story in the bible. I often wonder what she must've been thinking as she was given first to Er, then to Onan, and then promised to the youngest son...but the promise was never fulfilled. Francine Rivers view of how this young woman mig
Jerry
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tamar isn't exactly a beloved Bible character, but this novel makes for a good historical read. Still, the ending was too pat, and the study notes in the back matter were dull.
Caroline
Auntie
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our new little Book Club decided to read this Francine Rivers biography of the Biblical figure, Tamar, the hapless daughter-in-law of Judah (the older brother of Joseph (coat of many colors fame.)I had previously discounted this little series of books as worth my time and money. I was SO WRONG!

Francine Rivers works her magic to help us to see a woman that God chose, as He walked the hallway of human history, to show us how to persevere and to ultimately delight in learning to trust in the God o
Adrienna
Unveiled: Tamar's story of being unloved but not forgotten. It was believed that she had a curse on her husbands, or the first two line of Hebrew men since it was there custom on both sides (Canaanite and Hebrew Jew) to marry next male child in line if your first husband dies. She had to dress and become a harlot to get what was rightfully hers; to carry the seed of her husband. It showed disobedience can be life-threatening, but she held on to the promise regardless of the lie Judah told her in ...more
Sherri Hayes
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a good thing that i wear waterproof eye makeup! I listened to the last section of this book on my to to work. Although this book is mostly fiction in the dialog and some of the storyline, the core of it is 100% scripture.
This is a great story of a strong, courageous, and righteous young Canaanite woman who found a great faith in the Unseen God of Abraham. Isaac, and Jacob. it is also a remarkable and wonderful story of the redemption of a man named Judah .
I love the way Francine uses scrip
Tatuu
"Tamar. Her name meant date palm. It was a name given to one who would become beautiful and graceful. A date palm survives the desert and bears sweet, nourishing fruit, and the girl came from a fertile family. A date palm sways in the desert winds without breaking or being uprooted, and this girl had to face Ers quick, irascible temper. A date palm could survive a hostile environment, and Judah knew Bathshua would see this girl as her rival. Judah knew his wife would pit herself against this you ...more
Leslie Reed
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2015
Francine Rivers does it again. She is truly my favorite Christian author. She can retell a bible story to make it come alive. I enjoy the biblical history of her books so much! Tamar lived a difficult life, but she didn't let it consume her. She dealt with daily struggles and seemed to find answers through the one true God.
Charlotte
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rivers can eleborate on a biblical story so that it truly comes alive as a real person living their day-to-day lives during that time. She certainly did her homework with customs and culture, and it is still a quick, light, easy read. Then she ties it all to the bigger picture of the lineage of Christ. Bravo!
Mischelle Andrade
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
what an amazing fictional account of Tamar. This was a quick read and I love the authors writing style. I read this for a book club and so glad I did. can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Courtney
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was completely out of my comfort zone, and I normally would not have read this story just because. This novel was picked for one of the groups I am apart of, and I could not be happier that it was for this book was so inspiring. The fact that this novel was based on Non-Fiction, Biblical Truth; it was awe-inspiring and really brought everything to life from that time period in today's language. A must read. Highly recommended.
Kari Greenaway
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was an enjoyable and fast read. I felt myself caught up in the story and by the end of it wishing I had the courage and insight that Tamar had. I was able to easily imagine in my mind the scenery and story as it unfolded. I cheered for her and for her Father in law throughout and I learned lessons along the way.

I find it uplifting when I see others turning to the Lord for guidance and acting as role-models for future generations.

Nina
In the bible Tamar is only mentioned once in 1st Mose 38, so one does not really get to know her story. Francine Rivers tells it as it could have happened by considering the ancient customs and the circumstances of life of this period.

This book is dedicated to all people who are being
used and abused and to all people who yearn for rightousness since the
central figure, Tamar, had to suffer a difficult fate but
never gave up her hope.

It's hard to believe that she could have stayed so kind and patie
Ellen
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the other Francine Rivers' books I have read, Unveiled brings light to a person in the Bible, getting me to think about them in more than a two-dimensional fashion. This was true of Gomer's story in Redeeming Love and also to some degree with Tamar in this book. I admit that I never considered why Tamar made the choices she did in Judah's family. She simply fell into a little box in my head of "bad people making bad choices." Simplistic, I know. Rivers skillfully points out the many sinful ...more
Madeleine Treschitta
Tamar's story is truly moving in so many ways. It grabs the reader right from the beginning and gives us a first hand look at what a woman's life was like back then. We see how God guides Tamar's life and helps Tamar. It is inspiring to see a woman who came up in a different religion and culture have so much faith in the God of the Hebrews. God sees her faith and persistence in finding Him, so He protects Tamar and saves her from her evil husbands and mother in law. At the end of the book, we ca ...more
Tracy
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women
Shelves: women-personal, bible
Another Lineage of Grace reread! I can read and reread anything Francine Rivers writes. This novella is the first of the Lineage of Grace series, although, I think I read them out of order both times. These novella do stand alone if the reader doesn't have all four.
Unveiled is the Bible history of Judah, Er, Onan and Tamar retold in narrative fiction format. Mrs. Rivers has a wonderful ability to bring the facts of the Bible and make them come alive with cultural and characters true to the time
L
I had always thought this was one of the saddest and strangest stories in the OT. Francine Rivers offers a portrayal of Tamar in this novel that lessened the strangest and explained why Tamar might have made the decision she did as far as tricking Judah. Rivers also painted a very logical picture of the guilt Judah had carried all his life for what he allowed to happen to his brother Joseph. Another novella in the Lineage of Grace series.
Joanie Standridge
Just finished this book! It is an excellent read! I love how Francine Rivers really fleshes out this story. When reading the Bible, it sometimes seems so dry and quick when reading the history. But this author really brings the story to life. There is so much detail and the characters and their emotions see so life-like...this fiction story makes the true story so much more relatable. Love it! Going to continue reading through this series...
Lori
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
An interesting Christian historical fiction based on Gen 38. Reading this made me really appreciate not just the freedoms but the respect woman have in the area of the world I have lived. I absolutely can not imagine what it must have been like to be a woman at that time. To be treated worse than an animal in many ways. Nothing in my world could even touch the depth of sorrow, betrayal, grief and loneliness that these woman endured.
Celestial
This was not the most interesting book I've read. But of course this isn't one of my favorite Bible stories.
Rachel
Sep 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked it. She did a great job at telling the story of Tamar as she saw it. I can tell she did a ton of Bible digging also.
Naomi
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading a much heavier book, but wanted something a little lighter and quicker to get me through this week. I picked this up on paperbackswap.com (yeah, technically I have a hardcover version), and as it's a novella, I thought it would be just right. It was!

Like the last book by Francine Rivers that I read (Redeeming Love), it's a fictional work based on a Biblical story. Tamar was a Canaanite woman who married a Hebrew, and her marriage was not all happily ever after. The Biblical st
Tonia Goodlataw
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book by complete chance. It ended up living on my shelf for a year until I finally picked it up and then it didn't see the shelf until I finished reading it. This book gives the character Tamar from the Bible a voice that not just speaks to you, but one that helps paint the era. Reading this book really made Tamar in the Bible a person to me, someone who most, if not all women, can relate to in some way. I definitely recommend reading this book.
The Wanderer
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't personally belong to an ancient Semitic tribe, so it sure was intriguing to take a trip into a completely different way of thinking and understanding the world! I though the story was cohesive, concise, and Tamar's faith in the God of Judah (despite Judah) arose organically and in a believable way. It wasn't preachy or overly moralistic. Tamar's emotions and thought processes were well-described, and I felt her desperation leaking off the page. Very well-done.
Jane
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would generally give 5 stars to anything Francine Rivers writes - but not this time. The story is based on the possible life of Tamar, in the Bible, based upon the facts in the Bible. It is repetitive, almost like the author needed to fill enough pages to go to print. I do not recommend this book.
Sisters in Christ...: Unveiled: Tamar // March 2017 15 53 Apr 05, 2017 02:23PM
  • Love's Sacred Song (Treasure of His Love)
  • First Light (A.D. Chronicles, #1)
  • The Strength of His Hand (Chronicles of the Kings, #3)
  • Abigail (The Wives of King David, #2)
  • Deborah's Story (Women of the Bible #2)
  • Walks The Fire (Prairie Winds, #1)
  • Havah: The Story of Eve
  • Brothers (Legacies of the Ancient River #2)
  • Really Bad Girls of the Bible: More Lessons from Less-Than-Perfect-Women
  • As Time Goes By (The Californians, #2)
  • Hadassah: One Night With the King
  • Chosen: The Lost Diaries of Queen Esther (Lost Loves of the Bible #1)
  • Journey to the Well
  • Daniel: Lives of Integrity, Words of Prophecy - Member Book
  • Harvest of Gold (Harvest of Rubies, #2)
New York Times best-selling author Francine Rivers began her literary career at the University of Nevada, Reno, where she graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in English and journalism. From 1976 to 1985, she had a successful writing career in the general market, and her books were highly acclaimed by readers and reviewers. Although raised in a religious home, Francine did not truly encounter ...more
More about Francine Rivers...

Lineage of Grace (5 books)
  • Unashamed: Rahab (Lineage of Grace, #2)
  • Unshaken: Ruth (Lineage of Grace, #3)
  • Unspoken: Bathsheba (Lineage of Grace, #4)
  • Unafraid: Mary (Lineage of Grace, #5)

“Every God demands sacrifice. What sacrifice does your God require?' 'Obedience.” 1 likes