Start by marking “One Snowy Night (Book & Tape)” as Want to Read:
One Snowy Night (Book & Tape)

One Snowy Night (Percy the Park Keeper)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  1,624 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Percy the park keeper always feeds the animals in the park where he lives. But one cold winter’s night Percy discovers that his little friends need more than food, and he must think of a way to help them find a warm place to sleep for the night. Percy’s hut is nice and warm, but he discovers that if you invite one animal in you’ll have to invite them all in. With Percy's s ...more
Published April 5th 2004 by Collins Audio (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about One Snowy Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Snowy Night

Kathryn
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun to be had in this story about a grounds keeper (park ranger?) who opens his cottage one snowy night to a variety of animals who want shelter from the storm. It's so funny when they all try to fit into the bed and start to fall out--will there be a place for everyone??? (Of course there will!) I enjoyed the British aspects in this tale, too, such as when our gent puts on his Wellingtons and when the hedgehog shows up at the door ;-) The illustrations are very cute.
Cheryl
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh! So *this* is why Butterworth is in 1001...! *So* sweet. Cliched and predictable, but with touches that make it special (like asking the fox to behave, and two pairs of wooly socks...). I've not been overly impressed by other Butterworth books, but I do want to find more about Percy.
ABC
Mar 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: younger-kids
Very cute story about animals that come in from the cold to get warm in Percy's bed.
Jane Hill
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A childhood favourite <3<3<3
Grace Gayer
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My sister and I used to argue over this book...as we both loved it so much. a charming story about a park keeper unwittingly opening his doors to the parks animals during a snow storm.
Megan
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: maeve-s-books
Another gift from Scotland, my two year old adores Percy and his animal friends. She knows this entire book by heart. We bought two more Percy books because she enjoys this one so much. She loves the pullout poster at the end. Our favorite book for a snowy winter's night.
Anna
Cuddly, silly and heartwarming. Reminds me of Jan Brett's "The Mitten", in a good way.
Anna
I was about to buy this picture book, but my lovely friend Google found me a YouTube video, in which you can listen to a whole thing (you can check it right here http://youtu.be/vChCLsf6DEs, it's short (less than 10min) and has a great narrator (and you can see all of the pictures). Btw, he reminded me of the man, who narrated my version of Letters from Father Christmas by J.R.R. Tolkien, will found his name later. Maybe it's him...).
So, thank you, Google. You know, what I need (I can save a lit
Bisma Amir
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The award-winning author and illustrator Nick Butterworth has created a series of tales from Percy's Park about Percy the park keeper and all the animals that he takes care of. This book doesn't disappoint!! Beautifully written, it includes speech marks to help children understand the formation of speech and the wording is easy to follow. There are a few words from the book that may be difficult for children to read but through decoding words phonetically it's an absolute dream to read!
The stor
Tanya
I really liked this one and had to get it through the inter library loan. Later, I discovered another reviewer linked a YouTube video that shows all illustrations and was pleasantly narrated. This is a feel good book, kindness expressed and room for all. Percy the park keeper is great at sharing and always has a smile on his face, so it is a very welcoming book to a young child. Glad to discover this one.
Brenda Thompson
Percy the park keeper always feeds the animals in the park where he lives. But one cold winter 19s night Percy discovers that his little friends need more than food, and he must think of a way to help them find a warm place to sleep for the night. Percy 19s hut is nice and warm, but he discovers that if you invite one animal in you 19ll have to invite them all in. With Percy's small hut 14they are certainly going to be squashed!
Kate B
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Too recently published for me to have enjoyed this in childhood, one of the things I like best about this book is the picture of all the animals squashed in wherever there was room. It always reminds me of what my children's beds looked like when they were small: overflowing with soft toys of many species.
Beth
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love Percy. I read this book lots of times to my children when they were younger because it is so seasonal and just lovely to read and look at and have just re-read this with my Grandson. The pictures are colourful and engaging and the text is easy for children to read and understand. a gorgeous picture book.
Tamara
Sep 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I don't know where I got this one, but we love it! The illustrations are too perfect--I almost want to frame the one of the little mole sitting on a hot water bottle! There's just enough build up and suspense and then a good ending. Perfect for little, little ones. And so cozy! I can't wait to get more Percy the Park Keeper books!
kris hicar
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A sweet read that shares how good it feels to help others when they ask for help. The animals come knocking on Percy's door and ask for a warm place to stay. One after the other they fill up his hut. The more that join them the warmer they all are.
Susan
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, storybook
A quick little story. Not fantastic, not terrible but OK. It did annoy me that Percy was feeding the animals; a Park Keeper should know better than that (and the author should not be teaching children that this is an OK thing to do).
Sallyavena
I think this is my all time favorite author/illustrator. I love the detail of the pictures (of lots of animals) and the cute storyline of a lovable park keeper.
Kimberly
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. It was a good winter story to read with the kids.
Lily-Mae Lacey
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book
Ruth Govaerts
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Een prachtig prentenboek! Een kopje warme chocolademelk, een dekentje, de wind die buiten door de bomen jaagt en het prentje is compleet.
Becky
Dec 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-books-read
Another cute Christmas story to read every year to the kids.
Danielle
A childhood classic- the memories this one brings back!
Kate
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
The Percy books are favourites of my daughters for us to read together, and this one is no exception.
Bree
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Notes:
very cute and funny
the mole is the 'monster'
Dira Supardi
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful bedtime story! All the animals are so cute and cuddly, I especially love the illustration of mole and hedgehog!!
Helena
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
cute and snuggly :D
Roxanne
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My sister & I loved this book when we were children, so much so that she bought it for my little boy to enjoy too! This is his favourite Percy The Park Keeper story & is a really great read.
Anya
Adorable story, lovely illustrations, our book came with a CD. We love Percy's adventures and this particular one is definitely a favorite- a perfect bedtime read.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Very cute illustrations seem to be overly cheery but are nicely kept focused by using lots of white space around them. The story is also nicely simple and appropriate for young ages.
Janae
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Adorable illustrations and cute story a la The Mitten.
  • The Mousehole Cat
  • Alfie Gets in First
  • Avocado Baby
  • The Quangle Wangle's Hat
  • Lotta's Bike
  • Uppo-Nalle (Uppo-Nalle, #1)
  • Slinky Malinki
  • Ernest and Celestine
  • Peter in Blueberry Land
  • Madlenka
  • Barbapapa
  • My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes
  • Mister Magnolia

Percy the Park Keeper (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • After the Storm (A Tale from Percy's Park)
  • The Rescue Party (Tales From Percy’s Park)
  • The Secret Path (Tales From Percy’s Park)
  • The Treasure Hunt (Tales From Percy’s Park)
  • Four Feathers In Percy's Park (Percy The Park Keeper)
  • Percy’s Bumpy Ride (Tales From Percy’s Park)
  • One Warm Fox (Percy The Park Keeper)
  • The Badger's Bath (Percy The Park Keeper)
  • The Hedgehog's Balloon (Percy the Park Keeper)
  • The Cross Rabbit (Percy's Park)