Start by marking “An Experience Definitely Worth Allegedly Having: Travel Stories from The Hairpin” as Want to Read:

ebook
Published August 13th 2013 by Amazon Publishing

To ask other readers questions about An Experience Definitely Worth Allegedly Having, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Experience Definitely Worth Allegedly Having

Start your review of An Experience Definitely Worth Allegedly Having: Travel Stories from The Hairpin
Kirsten
Aug 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-books, travel
This book started off great and slid downhill. While much travel writing is expected to be indulgent -- it is after all, about an intensely personal experience -- the best writers will manage to relate it to the wider world...which many of these writers did. They made you realize it's ok to travel to get over a broken heart, or to prove something to yourself.

But then you get to the end, and the last few entries seem to be thrown together mishmash. I was especially disappointed with the final
Mary
Feb 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: travel
I was interested in this book because the essays promised to be "funny, weird, adventurous, and moving." Early in the book, all I felt was sorry for the people in the essays. They were dealing with depression, a feeling of being lost and unloved, uncertain about what they wanted in life. It may be normal to feel this way sometimes in your younger years, but this read like the depression and confusion was an all-encompassing thing. There is so much sadness in this book.
More than once, I thought
Ida Electra
Some of these stories were good. I especially enjoyed the one about Paris. Some of these stories were less good. I did not understand the purpose of the last one, which seemed more like a collection of ideas that led nowhere. I enjoyed that there was a good variety here, but overall I was not very impressed.
-r-
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A collection of fun essays
Jenn Estepp
So, I actually subscribed to this back when it was first coming out, because I wanted to see what the Kindle Serials program was like and how it would be to read things as they came out on it and I was a big Hairpin fan. Ooops. That totally didn't work out, huh? The keeping up with a serial thing, not reading the Hairpin (that one is debatable. It did totally make miss a Hairpin led by Zimmerman, though.) I think I only read, like, the first one back then?

But years later, it makes for pretty
Ann Addley
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I loved this book. As someone who has traveled extensively this collection of stories captures something that is often missing in popular travel books. A sort of philosophical narcissism that dominates ones personal dialog when you are young and traveling for the purposes of self discovery.
I suppose that doesn't sound particularly appealing but I think lots of people would enjoy this book particularly those who have done their own travel but the slice of life, eclectic adventures covered in
Tara
Sep 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Travel essays that were just okay.

I was hoping for a bit more, I like travel essays and with the 'Pin I thought it would be a collection I would find a lot to identify with (being an expat). There were moments but the best way I can describe why I didn't enjoy it overall as a collection is it felt very old. It's a bit ridiculous in that we're not dealing with the past is another country territory - at the furthest it's the 80s and these are universal experiences which aren't affected by time...
Alison
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, nonfiction, own_it
This was a fun, light read. I enjoyed the essays, which (as you can guess from the title) focus on the writers' travels. Most of them wrote an essay about one particular trip, but there was one where someone threw together lots of prose snapshots of various trips. Anyway apparently I do not have much to say about this but if you like reading travel stories, and you like the tone of The Hairpin, I'd say to grab this form Amazon (it was a Kindle Serial).
Jodi
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most good, some not so good stories

All of the stories were entertaining, I enjoyed being exposed to writers new to me and comparing the different writing styles. Some I clicked with, others not so much. Oddly the only story I didn't like was the last one and that turned out to be written by the editor! It came off as to most annoyingly flippant/childish piece in the whole collection.
Karin
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, own
A new concept on my reading shelf,Kindle serials.They give you a few installments to start with and as the writer completes the next installment they automatically load it on your Kindle every two weeks or so at no additional charge.The initial cost is minimal so you really can't lose if the story sucks.This particular serial is actually interesting because I travel very little myself and I like to see what the travelers find memorable about their journeys.
Sorcered
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Rich American kids (all with humongous first world problems :P) try to demonstrate why travelling is a worthwhile occupation. 8 essays, 3 of which were passably funny and decently written (the ones on Buenos Aires, Paris and London). Light read, nothing to learn from here unless you were born in a remote Himalayan village and remained there all your life. Move on, read something else already.
Jana
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, non-fiction, kindle
Unsurprisingly, I really liked this collection of short non-fiction travel stories. This was also my first Kindle Serial experience and I really liked having a new story to look forward to every other week.
Beckie
Dec 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Meandery, memoirish essays about travel that are mainly about not-entirely-positive experiences, but they still made me wish I'd backpacked more. My favourites were by Chiara Atik and Nicole Cliffe about being alone in Paris and a Let's Go editor in London, respectively.
Donna
there was only one of the essays on travel that I could really relate to and I found that one very funny and amusing.
amanda
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This collection is fascinating and really great. I love that they're all not stories of AMAZING travel experiences - lots of love and loss and hard times too.
Kelly
Sep 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I love travel writing, and some of these stories are great. Some are not.
Kim
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good read--and I enjoyed the serial nature of delivery. Some poignant stories and I was reminded why I love traveling so much.
Liz
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: life-abroad
What, you're not going to read a collection of essays by Hairpin writers about travel adventures? Come onnnn. Even the crap ones are pretty good.
Megan
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this as a break after GoT 1 and it made me nostalgic for my own travel experiences, in the best way possible.
Ann Fisher
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fans of The Hairpin will enjoy these stories. It's the first Kindle book I've bought that automatically upgrades, and I admit it feels like a gift each time I sync and find another chapter added.
Amber
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Travel mémoires. I want more.
Layne
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Perfectly enjoyable travel dispatch.
Katy
Jun 22, 2019
Jjrogers
rated it did not like it
May 27, 2018

• Edinburgh
  • Fed Up: Emotional Labor, Women, and the Way Forward
  • Why Did I Ever
  • Ducks, Newburyport
  • Already Dead (Joe Pitt, #1)
  • Picasso's War
  • Same Circus Different Clowns: The South of France - A Sunny Place for Shady People
  • Change Your World: The Science of Resilience and the True Path to Success
  • Monsoon Mansion: A Memoir
  • Dept. of Speculation
  • Granny Is My Wingman
  • The Kindness of Strangers  (Kindness of Strangers, 2003)
  • Remember Me