Start by marking “The Big Book of Slumber” as Want to Read:
The Big Book of Slumber

The Big Book of Slumber

All creatures of the world find time to rest. In this lullaby book, countless cozy animals settle down in their beds--
Unknown Binding, 26 pages
Published April 18th 2014 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Book of Slumber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Book of Slumber

Samantha
This well-written bedtime book gives readers a look at animals nestled all snug in their human-inspired beds. The rhyming text has a lullaby effect and the muted color palette of the illustrations is soothing.

Hands down one of my favorite bedtime books in recent memory because the text really works and the story includes animals such as tapirs who don't often turn up in animal books.

Highly recommended for PreK-2, especially as a gift book.
Angelina
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
3rd star is for the pictures.
Margaux
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing

The big Book of Slumber or Il Grande Libro Die Pisolini (Milan, Italy)

Hushaby, lullaby, turn out the lamp.
Down in the cellar, it's cool and it's damp.

Mouse ate her apple and read her nice book.
Who else is sleeping? Just take a good look.

This book was lovely. Soothing verse tell about all different kinds of animals and how they're sleeping. Obviously it's fantasy since they're all in beds or bed-like-things (hippo, for example, is on a sofa and it is pointed out that they're both soft), but t
Champaign Public Library
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: staff-recommends
Adorable bedtime book! The Big Book of Slumber by Giovanna Zoboli and Simona Mulazzani is a lullaby full of animals, from dormice to clothes moths, comfy in their pajamas and under their covers. Sweet, funny, beautifully illustrated, (and going on my list of books for the grandchild-to-be).

Recommended by Molly M.
Amy Rae
I thought this was utterly darling, a quiet, gentle series of bedtime rhymes with beautiful illustrations.
Edward Sullivan
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Engaging rhyming text and beautiful illustrations about a variety of slumbering animals makes for lovely bedtime reading. Originally published in Italy.
Luisa Knight
Ages: 3 - 7

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Ranea
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Really cute goodnight book.
Peter
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
These illustrations are exceptional.
Elisabeth
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVE the illustration
Dave
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
A pleasingly strange way to lull your child to sleep.
Kelly
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book about bedtime has a dreamy and lilting tone. Very relaxing.
Barbara
Engaging rhyming lines and softly-hued illustrations describe how various animals take their rest. Although they are all examples of anthropomorphism since they slumber in human beds and wear human clothing, this picture book should have great appeal for readers heading off to their own beds. The inclusion of animals such as a badger, a dormouse, and a tapir add to the book's charm and uniqueness. I would have liked to have seen endnotes telling a little bit more about each of the animals in the ...more
Karen
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
My husband described this book as being "hokey". I don't think it was that bad, but the repetition, instead of being lulling and comforting, seemed more boring and annoying.

The illustrations were kind of interesting, though.
Lauren
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.5 - love the art & great vocab, but the text, despite rhyme and rhythm, was ultimately boring, sprawling, and flat for me.
Peacegal
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it
A classic bedtime book about sleepy animals.

Veg*n parents note: Various types of cured meat are shown hanging from the ceiling in a basement, as a mouse and mole bed down.
Jess
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
May 2016 - lovely, soothing bedtime story - I love some of the unusual animals including, plus their bedding.
Heydi Smith
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-one-on-one
This book definitely made me sleepy. I can't say that I thought it was poetic or beautiful but it was nice and I would read it to a little one.
Amy-Lynn
Cozy and soft, yet colorful artwork, is just right for this rhythmical bedtime story. Readers will enjoy relating their own bedtime rituals to those of all the animals, both big and small.
Jürgen Peeters
Nov 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
Mijn recensie van 'Het grote slaapjesboek' verscheen op 'Cutting Edge'

Kathryn
Jun 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Tells the story of many animals, bugs and birds and how they sleep albeit dressed in clothes and with beds and blankets.
Harla
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Just okay...
Tracie
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
All the creatures are sleeping. Wonderful.
Arwen Ungar
Apr 21, 2014
Rachael
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Giovanna Zoboli è scrittrice ed editrice. Insieme a Paolo Canton, ha creato, nel 2004, il marchio editoriale Topipittori, di cui è editor e art director, specializzato in volumi, illustrati e non, per bambini e ragazzi. I suoi libri, oltre una trentina di titoli, sono pubblicati in Italia e all'estero. Svolge attività di studio e formazione sui temi della cultura rivolta a infanzia e adolescenza, ...more