Start by marking “Witch Poems” as Want to Read:
Witch Poems

Witch Poems

Small, tall, nasty, nice, old, and young witches by prominent poets.
Published December 12th 1976 by Holiday House (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Witch Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witch Poems

Mischenko
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is featured on Shabby Sunday @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2017/...

This book is one of our favorites to read around Halloween time. There are witch poems from multiple poets including Shakespeare, L.Frank Baum, Myra Cohn Livingston and a few anonymous.

One of our favorites is written by Myra Cohn Livingston. It’s titled “Lazy Witch."

Lazy Witch

Lazy witch
What’s wrong with you?
Get up and stir your magic brew.
Here’s candlelight to chase the gloom.
Jump up and mount your flying broom
And m
Julie
This book has that reckless artistic freedom from the 1970s that I love. As in, Sesame Street from the 1970s versus the 1990s. The illustrations are amazing--these are the witches you imagined in your childhood that scare you and fascinate you at the same time. The poems selected are excellent and memorable. A great book for early grade readers and, of course, for Halloween. (Not ideal for all parents or classrooms; these are wild, wondrous, politically incorrect witches!)
Malia
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a good witch, I love a good poem, I love a good book from the 70s with some shaggy, groovy illustrations. Very fun.
Melki
This is a collection of eighteen mostly forgettable poems featuring witches. Trina Schart Hyman's black & white illustrations are a treat.
Kami
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spooky and awesome--the illustrations are fabulous and the poems are perfect. I immediately bought a copy for a Halloween selection of books. Just the right amount of creepiness without being yuck.
Hannah Cone
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edrd314-006
Witch Poems by Daisy Wallace is a festive picture book that compiles poetry, unsurprisingly, revolving around the subject of Witches. Within the book, poets, such as William Shakespeare and E.E. Cummings, are heavily featured, as well as more contemporary poets of the time, such as Lilian Moore or Michael Patrick Hearn.

Within the book, there is no sole plot, as there is one poem per page or two. Because of this, the poems grab the attention of the reader and keep the book from becoming dull. Th
Kimberly
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For those editing this page: The book has 32 pages.
I like studying the rhyme schemes of each. Turns out the editor likes poems with a mostly ABCB structure though others are present.
Confused at "Witch Baseball" (pg 19) But it was funny.
From "Witch Goes Shopping" to "Wicked Witch's Kitchen" and "Witch's Menu" (pgs 21-23) gives lesson ideas of real world ideas. Ask why the witch in "Wicked Witch's Kitchen" couldn't find her ingredients. What can she make from ingredients in "Witch Goes Shopping."
Katie
This book has been in my collection since I was a child, and I will never get tired of reading it, or looking at the art. Books like these are what give life to your imagination, and take you away into a world of wonder. This book is short, but it's packed with great art and witchy goodness.

For those of you that don't know, I believe this is a series of fantasy poems. I also have a book by the same author that is called Fairy Poems, and it's just as fantastical.
Aine
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: witchy
Fun book! *cackles*
Kelley Kavanaugh
This was a gift from a friend. I love the illustrations and the poems are a delight.
Siskiyou-Suzy
I really like the illustrations, but the poems don't live up to them very much. There are a few good ones.
Gillian Murrell