Start by marking “Hunting Shadows” as Want to Read:

'a tour de force...this is great writing' Ken Bruen
'Marks the entrance of a major new talent.' Cathi Unsworth

DI Ellen Kelly is at the top of her game - at least she was, until she took the law into her own hands and confronted her husband's killer. Now she's back at work, leading the investigation into the missing child. Her superiors are watching her; the distraught famil
Published August 12th 2013 by Brandon Books

To ask other readers questions about Hunting Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunting Shadows

Liz Barnsley
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
**4.5 stars**

Thank you to the author and publisher for the review copy – much appreciated as it had been on my wishlist for a while.

DI Ellen Kelly is at the top of her game – at least she was, until she took the law into her own hands and confronted her husband’s killer. Now she’s back at work, leading the investigation into the missing child. Her superiors are watching her; the distraught family is depending on her. Ellen has a lot to prove. And she knows it.

So. Crime Fiction. An overcrowded, h
Margaret Madden
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.
I received a copy of this title, from the publishers, in return for an honest review...

On her way to school, Jodie disappeared. One minute she was there, fighting with her dad, the next she was gone. The father quickly becomes the main suspect and his previous spell in prison is not helping. DI Ellen Kelly has her doubts though. She sees a similarity to another missing child case. One that had an unhappy ending. Could the same person have snatched Jodie? Fighting her way through office
Trish at Between My Lines
Loved the ending as it threw a spanner in the works and made me rethink what happened earlier in the book.

An interesting detective series with a strong female lead. I will definitely read on in this series.
Raven
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
With a nice little tagline from the one and only Ken Bruen on the front cover, and the mouthwatering allure of a new London based police procedural, I could not resist the temptations that this debut crime thriller offered. So did this live up to my expectations? I would say, categorically, yes….

Knowing my love/hate relationship with female police characters, and the intrinsic baggage of cliches that usually surrounds them, I have to say that DI Ellen Kelly, rose above the normal mediocre and la
Chris Curran
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I finished Hunting Shadows a few days ago and it has remained with me, always the mark of a great story. It’s difficult to believe this is a debut novel because the writing is so assured and the plotting faultless. Stories of child abduction, every parent’s greatest fear, are nothing new, but it’s the reasons behind these particular crimes that make the book so original, so disturbing and also very moving.
Families of all kinds are at the heart of the story and Ellen Kelly, a police detective wh
JJ Marsh
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hunting Shadows

The thing that sets this book apart is its reality. A psychological crime novel which left me pondering for days. This could happen. Every element is plausible, every character believable.
Hunting Shadows as a title has layers of resonance: this is a story with history. On the surface, a police investigation into a missing child. Under the surface, determination, delusion, optimism, perversion and all the painful mistakes of human interaction.
I loved this book for its realism, its
Paul Cuthbert
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book isn't something I would normally read so when I started it I found the subject quite tough. However once I got into the story I found myself caught up in it with real characters responding in many varied and shocking ways. As the story moves along it became a page turner and I couldn't wait to get to the end. A cracking read.
Gillian Hamer
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book by a talented author. I love crime fiction and have read hundreds of crime novels in my life. I can honestly say I find it hard to believe this novel is a debut - as it's written with a confidence and maturity that belies years of practise and experience - or a God-given gift.

It opens with a child's abduction, sensitively handled, and cleverly seen from the viewpoint of both the abductor and abductee. Handling a variety of characters, POVs and voices is no mean feat for a write
Amanda - Go Book Yourself

A copy was provided by Brandon publishing in return for an honest review.

Hunting Shadows is a different breed of crime thriller. Life doesn't begin at the start of this novel. The reader is thrown into turmoil. Ellen has had a hard childhood, her husband is dead and she is only now returning to work after suffering from a breakdown.

The story itself is not original (disturbed child kidnapper) but the appeal here lies in the authenticity of the characters. Ellen is gritty. A killer obsessed with
Moira
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Ellen, the lead character, is likeable and gutsy. The story is fast paced and keeps you wanting to read on. I found it very hard to put it down each time! I recommend it to all and I can't wait for the next installment.
Brian Lawlor
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down, every day I wanted to find out what happened to Ellen and the other characters. Looking forward to the next book!
Debbie Lamb
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well paced novel - fabulous narrator who portrayed the characters impressively. Plot was well constructed and one of the more realistic police novels I've read. I did feel the end was a little rushed but a satisfying read.
Nicky Mottram
Audio version of this book- ok storyline, a bit slow. Good narration
Julie Unwin
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Parts good other parts I found myself glossing over
Any Length
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
it was ok. I found it a bit slow moving. And the end with the train was a bit bizare.
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent story. Really enjoyed it
Craig Gillan
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
First book I’ve read by this author and really enjoyed it, lots going on and some creepy characters, definitely be reading more of this authors work
Claudia Marina
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Ein Kind wird entführt. Mitten in London. Und niemand hat etwas gesehen. Es gibt keine Verdächtigen, keine Anrufe, keine Spur - nur die Gewissheit, dass die Zeit für die 10-jährige Jodie Hudson langsam abläuft, denn ihr Fall ähnelt dem der kleinen Molly York, die drei Jahre zuvor auf ähnliche Weise entführt - und ermordet - wurde.

Detective Inspector Ellen Kelly wird auf den Fall angesetzt. Obwohl sie noch immer den Tod ihres Ehemannes nicht ganz verkraftet hat stürzt sie sich in den Fall - denn
Sheena Lambert
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think Patricia Cornwell readers would enjoy this book very much. I gather there is to be another 'Ellen Kelly' book too, and certainly the genre and character lend themselves to that, just like with Patricia Corwell's Scarpetta.
Reading HUNTING SHADOWS, it felt like it was a sequel itself (not sure if this is the case?) Certainly, there was a lot of backstory told, and this did feel clunky at times. (As per almost every other book I've read recently - surely this is an editor's job to fix?) Oth
Johnh Elford
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Quite simply the best crime thriller I have ever read. I fell in love with D I Ellen Kelly, a very realistic character. Could not put the book down, really an excellent read.

I have ordered "Sheila's" second book "The Waiting Game." from Waterstones in Eastbourne today. I would rate this book with 6 stars if I could discover how to do it. Please Goodreads make this website more user friendly, it is far to complicated.

John Elford
Mary Lou
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sheila Bugler has come up with an interesting protagonist in the shape of Ellen Kelly, ordinary mother, but also a detective with a surprising capacity to see justice done, even if it means breaking the rules.
This combination makes this crime novel a bit special, and provides a solid backdrop to a good story.
Liza Perrat
Schneehase
Aug 14, 2018
Sarah Haman
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it
entertaining read. I do hate it when a new character turns up in the last 50 pages of a book
« previous 1 3 next »
I grew up in a small town in the west of Ireland. After studying Psychology at University College Galway, I left Ireland and worked in Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland, Argentina and London before finally settling in Easbourne, where I now live with my husband, Sean, and our two children.

When not writing fiction, I provide a range of writing services to aspiring authors. I also run free writing work