Start by marking “Reading the Ceiling” as Want to Read:
Reading the Ceiling

Reading the Ceiling

Ayodele has just turned eighteen and has decided, having now reached womanhood, that the time is right to lose her virginity. She's drawn up a shortlist: Reuben, the fail safe; a long-admired school friend; abd Frederick Adams, the 42-year-old, soon-to-be-pot-bellied father of her best friend. What she doesn't know is that her choice of suitor will have a drastic effect on ...more
Published May 8th 2007 by Simon & Schuster Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Reading the Ceiling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reading the Ceiling

Kinga
Mar 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book if you are doing one of those Around the World challenges and you are struggling to find a book from the Gambia (did you know it was THE Gambia?).

It's a perfect book for this sort of thing - a perfect mix of the exotic and the familiar, not too challenging, giving you just enough of insight into the culture without making you uncomfortable. It meshes the European with the African, the traditional with the modern and shows African women dancing on the fine line between the two
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
I agree with the other reviews that this is a fine option if you are doing a world books challenge and need a book from the Gambia – this is why I read it, and it’s certainly readable – but there isn’t much to recommend it beyond that.

Reading the Ceiling has an interesting premise: the narrator, Ayodele, is turning 18 and determined to get initiated into the mysteries of sex, so she needs to choose a partner with whom to do the deed. The three sections of the book follow alternate versions of he
Calzean
The premise of the book was interesting. A girl turns 18 and decides to lose her virginity on that night. She has a list of 3 possible partners.
The book then tells her story in a Sliding Doors manner; what happens depended on which partner she went with.
The three parts of the story have some common threads but the writing is quite of a different standard. The last part "The un-Named" was probably the best written but by this time I had lost interest.
Deborah Pickstone
I had higher hopes but it is still an interesting read; we don't get so much fiction out of the African continent that we can afford to misprize it. As the book developed, so did the writing. I would expect growth as a writer in the future and look forward to reading more.
Friederike Knabe
Aug 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: africa
On her eighteenth birthday, Ayodele decides, she will not only have a great party at the best disco in town, she will also choose a one-off mate to take her from childhood to womanhood. It is an empowering feeling and the choice is hers, not common in her society at that time. First-time Gambian novelist Dayo Forster has written a lively, fast paced and delightful novel built around an intriguing concept: three different scenarios unfold for her life, depending on the man she chooses for that fa ...more
Jama Jack
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
The author is Gambian!

Yes, that matters to me as much as the stories she has weaved together in Reading the Ceiling. Growing up and understanding the power of representation and writing our own stories has pushed me into a year of reading works from (female) African authors only for a year.

This book is one I wished I had read in my teenage years, as I struggled to place my feet on solid ground while navigating the pressures of growing up as a teenage African girl.

Ayodele's story mattered. For
Andrea
Feb 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: africa
Set in Gambia, this novel traces a young woman's choices through three alternative lives. The author catches the tone and attitudes of Ayodele as a teenager and then young and middle aged woman well. All of our choices determine both create and limit the subsequent paths of our lives. Forster explores this idea with rich characters and vivid writing.
Abdelrahman
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
It is very interesting yet not deep enough. Dele's reactions in the second story are very overrated comparing to Dele of the first story, as if it were a different person. The third story is the best, I enjoyed it so much. As she said; the moral of the story is: If you want something don't half-want it, want it properly and get it.
Mike/
Apr 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read it at a point in my life when I had to make life-changing decisions without the benefit of foresight....very influential....I like the books-in-book format.........took me back to Jeffrey Archer, RL Stine and the rest.
Should be made a recommended book for high school girls.....tackles scenarios with great sensitivity and grace.....a magnificent book.
ElenaSquareEyes
Reading the Ceiling is told in three parts, each one starting on the night of Ayodele’s birthday and then spanning the next fifty or so years of her life. You get to see how one choice can shape Ayodele’s life but at the same time there are many things that are outside of her control. For instance, things that happen to characters around Ayodele, like tragic accidents or the choice of a university, generally happen no matter who she chose to sleep with.

The interesting thing was that while her c
Verena Annette
Not a bad book, not a really good book either.
I picked it up, to get an insight into the life in the Gambia, where part of this story takes place. That curiosity was satisfied.
The story itself is split into three plot lines - Ayodele decides, she wants to loose her virginity. She makes a list of men and the book tells three ways in which her life unfolds after choosing one of the guys. This idea of course isn't new or revolutionary, but it is entertaining enough. After each of the three decision
Megan
"I am on the other side of knowing, yet the answer to the mystery of how to make my life has been in me all along."

A little like My Real Children and a little like Community's "Remedial Chaos Theory" episode, but the device is used for more literary rather than speculative purposes. (Or, I guess, the device is more a literary tool than a heavyhanded thought generator, as in MRC, or a framework, as in RCT.) Forster creates three possible lives for her protagonist Ayodele, all diverging from her d
Julia
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: africa, gambia
Interesting concept - we all know that the whole life can take a really different take based on one spur-of-the-moment decision and thus the author evolves this novel from three different parting points in the life of 18-year-old Ayodele. I really liked the end of the book and the legend of the mermaid which might have been the author's parting point to start writing this book. I also enjoyed the details on Gambian life, food, dress, etc. very much. Unfortunately I never really cared for any of ...more
Sally
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
"I can choose to be the hunter or the lion. What will my story be?", 7 Feb. 2016

This review is from: Reading the Ceiling (Paperback)
As the novel opens on narrator Ayodele's 18th birthday, I thought this was going to be a YA tale. Discos, the opposite sex and deciding on a future occupy the young people:
"We knot ourselves into a drift of conversations, starting and ebbing. University crops up again. And what we intend to do with our lives. We talk about the moon, about whether mermaids will come
V C Willow
May 12, 2012 rated it liked it
I thought the idea for the book outshone the execution. The retelling of the story and the blandness of a lot of the narrative made one story mingle pretty much into the next retelling. Clearly Dayo Forster is a talented writer and a capable story teller but I simply found the style not to my personal taste. Lots of subjects were touched upon but I felt we never really got to explore the depths of any of the characters or the stories, which was a shame as it felt we were forever only skimming th ...more
Jessica
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This lovely book elaborates on the theory that a single choice can impact the rest of your life. Within "Reading the Ceiling" we are taken through three possible life stories of the narrator, Ayodele. She not only shifts and changes, but also her community, social life, and the relationships with those dear to her. I found myself getting more attached to certain storylines and characters than others, but not a particular version of the story. I enjoyed the everchanging perspectives on life Ayode ...more
Tiah
Apr 05, 2010 added it
The story is an interesting concept - very "Sliding Doors." The main character is a strong woman - which I adored. But the formula also prevented me, as a reader, from becoming involved with any of her various "paths." Thus, I didn't find myself caring deeply when emotional events occurred that should have wrenched my heart. Very detached the whole way through - which is a shame.
BMR, LCSW
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
I usually skew towards nonfiction, so last year I decided to make an effort to read more fiction. I picked this up based on the reviews here on Goodreads.

The author is a good writer, I like her exposition and dialogue. The story itself I was not a fan of. Maybe her other works will be more my style.
Suzi
Aug 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, OK so the concept is not very original but it did make me wonder about the choices I made at 18 and where I would be now if things had worked out differently. If only the 3 stories of Ayodele were applicable to life!!! It frustrated me that I didn't know enough about each section, but well worth a read.
Tolu
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good read about how one decision can change the course of the future. The book looks at three possible parallel universes following Ayodele making a decision at the age of 18. Would recommend it!
Valerie
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: africa
Each part of this triptych imagines a young woman choosing a different first lover, and how her life's path changes based on that choice. The stories give a glimpse into the dreams of this young woman, and in none of those dreams is she entirely her own person.
DJ
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, fall-15-16
Well-intentioned but very bland. Not really like Sliding Doors at all, rather three separate stories with interchangeable people. Can be used for The Gambia in a country reading quest, but there's very little to distinguish the setting from any country in Africa, or in the world for that matter.
Ana V
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a good book. I guess it got low ratings because you'd have to be African to understand. So it lacks emotions, Africans are not emotional. We mostly follow tradition and don't have to dissect every little detail as if on an operating table.
I'd definitely recommend people to read it.
Nina Chachu
Apr 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Liked it, though at times I got slightly confused about the Gambian locales which sounded slightly Nigerian - but probably that was my mis-reading rather than anything else?
Rosa Jacob
I didn't get why we had to have three endings. Made me so aware that am reading a FICTION
Anni
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Reviewed on www.whichbook.net
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
Hmm, great book but loathed the whitewashed cover. Why are publishers still doing this shit?
Helen
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
A thoroughly enjoyable, well-written book. I will definitely recommend this to friends and family.
Nancy
Feb 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a really interesting perspective on what isn't such an important decision for most women in the US... definitely worth reading, VERY good book club read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Little Boys Come from the Stars
  • A Cowrie of Hope
  • This Voice in My Heart: A Runner's Memoir of Genocide, Faith, and Forgiveness
  • Black Mamba Boy
  • Tropical Gangsters: One Man's Experience with Development and Decadence in Deepest Africa
  • The Whistler
  • The Radiance of the King
  • In the United States of Africa
  • The Boy Next Door
  • The Fortunes of Wangrin
  • Singing Away the Hunger: The Autobiography of an African Woman
Dayo Forster was born in Gambia and now lives in Kenya. She has published a short story in Kwani? and was one of 12 African writers selected as a participant at the 2006 Caine Prize Writer’s Workshop. The story produced as a result of the workshop was published in a Caine Prize anthology in July 2006. Her short story in Kwani? led her to write her first novel, which will be published early 2008.

my
“A man walks fast along the forecourt of the station towards a gate, moving towards a train that's about to leave. I get shivery all over as I watch the back of his head, which is about Yuan's height, with hair and a neckline just like his. My eyes tell me what my mind knows cannot be true. I follow him along seeking the one thing that would confirm him as someone else. The man turns his head slightly to talk to a train official. I can see his nose in profile. My eyes sting.” 1 likes