Start by marking “About Habitats: Forests” as Want to Read:
About Habitats: Forests

About Habitats: Forests

(About... A Guide for Children)

This beginner's guide explores the major attributes of the forest biome and showcases its striking beauty and remarkable diversity using examples from around the globe.
In this addition to the About Habitats series, award-winning author Cathryn Sill uses simple, easy-to-understand language to teach children what forests are how various species of animals and plants have ada
Published March 1st 2014 by Peachtree Publishing Company (first published March 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about About Habitats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about About Habitats

Denise Pepe
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
The minute I saw the friendly looking orangutan on the book cover, I had to pick it up to find out more about the forest in which he lives. This informational picture book provides a lovely synopsis of forests and their inhabitants found throughout the world. It is appropriate for both the novice and the more experienced reader. As the reader turns the pages, he/she becomes acquainted with a variety of forests and their importance to the plant life and wildlife dwelling within it. The maps conta ...more
Melyssa LeDay
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
AMY
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book covers boreal, temperate and tropical forests of the world. Includes a helpful map at the front of the book showing these types of forests. Great illustrations throughout with watercolors, plus lots of wonderful information make this a truly beautiful non-fiction book. There is additional information at the back of the book, along with a glossary. This is a lovely addition in the series that could be used with a habitat unit. Highly recommended for grades 1-5.
Lisa
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The sills have done it again!!
Emily McKnight
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: imaginative
-Illustrations: Watercolor on 100% rag watercolor paper

Summary/Personal Response: This is a really cool scientific picture book about forests and the animals that preside in them. Each part of the forest is split into plates and in the back of the books gives further descriptions of each. The glossary shows the other available books in the series as well as author/illustrator bios. The simplicity of the book is a perfect combo with the complex definitions in the back of the book.
Vera Godley
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have had the distinct pleasure of reviewing several books written and illustrated by the Cathryn and John Sill husband and wife team. It is also a source of pseudo pride that they reside in my home state of North Carolina. John is also a graduate of North Carolina State University in Raleigh, NC - one of our fine State universities. So when given the opportunity to participate in Peachtree Publisher's blog tour for About Habitats: Forests, I jumped at the invitation to sign up.

The "About" book
Christian Wallace
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personal reaction: This is a great informational book for young children that has simple text, beautiful illustrations, and all around useful information about different forests and the habitats that they exist in. I enjoyed how the illustrations of the forests were able to complement the shorter text and keep me engaged throughout the whole book. Furthermore, I liked how there were maps that explained where the forests would be located on a large scale. I feel as though this would make it easie ...more
Heidi
When I first heard about this series, I wasn't sure I was going to like it, I mean, so many great nonfiction books use first-class photographs, I wasn't sure illustrations could live up to that. I am happy to announce, however, that I was completely wrong. These books are not only incredibly beautiful, but the simplified text makes these perfect for sharing with preschoolers, kindergartners, and first graders. Despite the shortness of the text, there is much here to share and talk about. The boo ...more
Martha
Mar 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: k-3-non-fiction
About Habitats: Forests has beautifully detailed watercolor illustrations and informative descriptions about the three types of forest areas in the world. Cathryn Sills explains important concepts of how animals and plants exist together in each type of forest, in clear simple yet comprehensive sentences. The picture of an orangutan with his own wet weather gear in the rain forest is memorable. It is explained in the Afterword as orangutans, "use large leaves as umbrellas." This title is a solid ...more
Lynn
Children will be drawn in by the amusing illustration of the orangutang with the leaf 'umbrella' on its head. The simple text will give them vague information, but the apparent audience will not be able to independently access the additional detailed information in the back. Students will have some experience with some of the types of forests, but the vague organization might be confusing. The page showing products might be most helpful.
Ruqayya Jarad
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eled-413
In this informational book the author describes types of forests, their features, and why they are important, in one page while the other page contains watercolor painting of the scene, with animals and other plants. The glossary contains more vocabulary about forests that are not in the text. The definitions are simply written and comprehensible; also the book included a map of different types of forests that can be found throughout the world. Age 5-8
Darcie Caswell
Presented in an easy-to-understand way, with few words per page, this would be best for preschool to 1st grade, and for emerging readers. The afterward has more detailed descriptions of the types of forests in the book, and those descriptions are better for 2nd-5th graders.
Chelsea Raymer
I thought that this book had good information that was easy to follow. However, I think that it could have been a little more detailed. I did like how the pictures were labeled and at the end there was more about the pictures so you could learn more.
Selena
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Wonderful early elementary non-fiction. Simple enough that children can satisfy their own curiosity about this habitat and with the help of their parents learn more facts.
Melanie Rightmyer
Sep 12, 2017
Lauren Gambino
Jun 22, 2016
Ying-Tong,Chen
Oct 12, 2018
Edward Sullivan
Another informative, attractively illustrated addition to About Habitats series.
Bernadette
Kennedy Coy
-Illustrations: Watercolor on 100% rag watercolor paper

Aspasia
Oct 11, 2017
Cathryn Sill, a graduate of Western Carolina University, was an elementary school teacher for thirty years. She lives in North Carolina.

When she was an elementary school teacher who loves nature. When she had trouble finding good natural history books for her kindergarten class, she decided to write them.

With her husband John as the illustrator, she has created two series of nonfiction books for

About... A Guide for Children (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • About Mammals: A Guide for Children
  • About Birds: A Guide for Children
  • About Rodents: A Guide for Children
  • About Penguins: A Guide for Children
  • About Crustaceans: A Guide for Children
  • About Raptors: A Guide for Children
  • About Fish: A Guide for Children
  • About Mollusks: A Guide for Children
  • About Habitats: Deserts (About...)
  • About Arachnids: A Guide for Children