Start by marking “Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)

Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen #2)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  3,542 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
The struggle to save the plague-ridden kingdoms continues in this captivating second novel in the Whispers from Mirrowen series.

The orphan Phae has kept her innate ability secret since she was young. Not only does she possess the dangerous fireblood, but she can also steal the memories of anyone who looks into her eyes.

Phae has no idea that her combination of powers is ex
Published February 4th 2014 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about Dryad-Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dryad-Born

Bill Tillman
Dryad-Born

Ah so grasshopper, the spirits are a heavy component in book 2. It was very hard for me to maintain a high level of enthusiasm vin the Dryad tale due to the great number of sub plots. The new twists of mythology were very captivating. Yes I will be one of the first to read the third book, as long as that is the end of this series.
Donna
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All fantasy readers
Shelves: jeff-wheeler
THIS MAY CONTAIN A SPOILER SO PLEASE READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

After trying very hard NOT to finish this book, not because I didn't love every single word, but because I never wanted it to end ... I'm done. This book was so darn good! I am in love with so many characters in this series that I will just mention my top 5 in no particular order. Annon, Phae, Nizeera, Hettie and my super favorite, The Kishion. Once again Mr. Wheeler manages to weave a story that is so addicting, that it too
David Pomerico
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my books at 47North. Biased, but love it. Jeff picked up where he left off with FIREBLOOD, and continues to surprise and delight me as an author. Again, I'm biased, but one of the best new fantasy authors out today.
Scott Wozniak
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
It's an interesting story, but it's just shy of really believable. The characters say exactly what they're feeling. There are adventures that are exciting, but seem like a video game that throws challenges at you without a rational reason why.
Jared Beiswenger
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
The first book in this series was decent, but I had plenty to complain about in the end. I thought this book was a great step up, and I appreciate how the fantasy world seems to be more heavily entwined in "the plague" that the characters are working to stop. Some new interesting characters are added, there's lots more action, and a few minor twists and turns in the story. There are some hints for me to guess at how all the mysteries will be resolved without being too obvious. I'm excited for th ...more
Septentrion
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I nearly gave a one star to this book. The plot and twists are really interesting but it feels more rushed than in the first book. The characters are either bi-dimensional or completely contradictory, giving me mental whiplash. The sentimental relationships were.. too fast. I'm still pondering if I'm going to read book three or just try and find a summary on internet.
Ebster Davis
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: never-finished
This is the second book in a series I was excited to continue, since I thought the first one was really good and saw all the positive reviews saying that this book was an improvement on the first.

Alas reviewers of goodreads, you have failed me once again.

The problem with this book is twofold:

1) There's no mystery.

Almost all of the mysteries from book 1 are resolved, and this book doesn't present any new ones.

You know from page 1 exactly who Phae is and why she is important, you know which chara
Daniel Millard
After a sizable break, I decided to give Wheeler's second Mirrowen tale a shot on audiobook. We're dropped straight into the action after the conclusion of Fireblood, but introduced to the dryad-born, Phae, who becomes a new, much higher-maintenance POV character than Annon and Hettie.

Unlike the fantasy community at large, I thought this novel was substantially worse than the series' debut entry. This is due in large part to Phae, who is an incredibly exasperating, overwhelmingly incompetent ch
Cata Grui
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magic and intrigue

An awesome story filled with magic and intrigue. Plot twists, character development and background information, all come together very nicely and tell a story worth reading. It builds on the story and mythology of he first book, Fireblood, and develops both story arcs and characters in a very interesting and believable way. The first book is a must read if you want to pick this one up, but they're both worth it. Especially this one. The cliffhanger at the end of the book makes
Charlsye
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first book and the second kept my interest, the author has done a good job of not revealing too much at once which has been nice. The only thing I would like to see different is less on the different perspectives of the individual characters, I don't mind the switching between that was nice but I don't need a play by play of every battle scene from every character. If the author had just switched character points of view only at really meaningful times this book and the others in the ...more
Jenny
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I very much liked this book as I like all of the books Wheeler has written and I have read. His writing transports me to his beautifully crafted worlds and he continued to weave the different characters together, utilizing their strengths against others’ weaknesses. The only “complaint” I may have is that this book felt like a filler more than an important step. Sure it introduced Phae but I didn’t feel like the quest progressed much. I can’t wait to read the third book.
Linda
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting characters and just when you think the story can't go anywhere, they throw in a twist and you're deeper in the plot than before. Danger is everywhere in this book and you are never even sure if your friends are who they are supposed to be. I enjoyed every page and listened on my commute to and from home every day. Hope the third in the trilogy has audio - loved the voice of the person narrating the story and all the possibilities still to come.
Angi
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I'm having a hard time with this one. I was excited and interested in the story's continuation. I was loving the way the story was going. But I cannot stand Phae. I really dislike her choices and I think she's an idiot. She doesn't trust the people who AREN'T trying to kill her, so she'll take her chances with the soulless guy who is trying? Ugh. She is be making women look bad. And then the crying, grovelling, over promising. Well, it makes me think she deserves whatever happens to her, but ...more
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
In this book, the group the story is following splits leading to more story and split perspective. I think it failed some potential to go more in depth with characters as we spent more time with them individually. They were reunited abruptly with little explanation, and then the story ended abruptly.
Joan E.
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great storytelling

This is the second book of the series. I enjoyed reading it. My only complaint is it ends in a cliffhanger the same way as the first book. I know that is a ploy to assure the reader goes on to the next; but if I enjoy the book I will keep going any way. Just ends with no closure.
Alissa Chandler
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series.

I absolutely love this series. The characters have rich personalities with interesting and authentic histories and personalities. It is a richly intertwined story of believable heroes and villains. I look forward to reading the final book. I will also be reading other books by this author..
Johnny Martin
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dryad

Nice protected. But characters were to far apart. The archaic language was frustrating to understand until I found the glossary ar the end. I hope the character appearance are closer to another. I like a fast-paced book.
Roger D. Lee
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Details unravel as the team comes together to complete their final quest.

Secrets are shared, knowledge is gained and lost and the members finally join together to enter the Scourge land. Setup for failure betrayed again. How will they pull it off? Read the final book and see.
Cassidy Trahant
Not as good as Muirwood series, better than Kingsfountain

Just am not as into this series as much as I enjoyed the Muirwood series. Don't hate it as much as I despised the Kingsfountain series. Still too short.
kyle Anthony
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book two...revealing more and more...

Very fun series so far...great dialog and characters, with a new interpretation of our world's lore and mythologies...sprinkled with wonderful sayings
M.M. Beeman
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic book from Jeff Wheeler. He manages to bring in a great variety of characters and give them all realistic motivations, resentments and passions. Headed toward book 3 and the conclusion of the series.
Chris Clarke-Williams
The continuing story of Tyrus who turns out not to be dead and his companions.

During the course of the narrative which switches from character to character and place to place every few chapters. The reader will fall in love with many of the characters, but not all of them.
Danny
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great stories

The use of historical reality and reference keeps the reader thinking, all while the story keeps them entertained and glued to it. I am excited to read book three. Here I go now.
william m. selman
A sampling of what a great author can do

It started out so real and full of itself then turned magically into a book that could only be read by one that had immersed him or herself into the author’s love of book one’s taste of a journey becoming an adventure.
Ashley Lavering
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Better than book 1

This book was better than took 1. The action is scaled up and you learn so much more and I love Shion's character!
Viz
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Too many characters to follow. Didn't really like the flow of story.
The 3 stars goes to the story line, it was awesome.
Kari
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm quite emotional about all of the character's emoting. Other than that, the story has me drawn in. Will be reading the next installment in Kindle lending library....with churning emotions.
Mark and Lisa
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it as well. Now I have to read Piosonwell. That way I will finish this seriez. Kind of like it so far.
Jenny Clark
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another page turner

Jeff Wheeler has the ability to creat characters that come to life in your mind. You are compelled to keep reading long past bed time!
  • The Black Dragon: A Claire-Agon Dragon Book (Claire-Agon Dragon #3)
  • Protector of the Grove (The Bowl of Souls, #7 / Jharro Grove Saga, #2)
  • The Sorcerer’s Quest (The Sorcerer’s Saga, #1)
  • My Merlin Series (The Complete Trilogy)
  • Servant of Steel (Chaos Awakens, #1)
  • Guardian's Rise (The Sons of Masguard, #2)
  • Reishi Adept (Sovereign of the Seven Isles, #7)
  • The Last Enchanter  (Celestine Chronicles #2)
  • Trusted (Dragons' Trust, #1)
  • Darkin: A Journey East
  • Dragon Fire
  • Gargoyle Knight (Gargoyle Knight #1)
  • The Fallen Angle (The Harbinger of Doom Saga, #2)
  • Ennara and the Book of Shadows (Ennara, #2)
  • Magic of the Gargoyles (Gargoyle Guardian Chronicles, #1)
  • The Protectors (Royal Institute of Magic #3)
  • Reader and Educator Guide to "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings"
  • The Hammer of Thor (80AD, # 2)
Jeff took an early retirement from his career at Intel in 2014 to become a full-time author. He is, most importantly, a husband and father, a devout member of his church, and is occasionally spotted roaming hills with oak trees and granite boulders in California or in any number of the state's majestic redwood groves. He is also one of the founders of Deep Magic: the E-zine of Clean Fantasy and Sc ...more
More about Jeff Wheeler

Whispers from Mirrowen (3 books)
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“Let us train our minds to desire what the situation demands.” 3 likes
“The wisest as well as the most dangerous men are those who observe without speaking.” 2 likes