Start by marking “The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic, #1)

The Palace Job

(Rogues of the Republic #1)

The most powerful man in the republic framed her, threw her in prison, and stole a priceless elven manuscript from her family.

With the help of a crack team that includes an illusionist, a unicorn, a death priestess, a talking warhammer, and a lad with a prophetic birthmark, Loch must find a way into the floating fortress of Heaven's Spire–and get past the magic-hunting gol
Published October 8th 2013 by 47North (first published September 26th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Palace Job, please sign up.
Verity Brown I don't see any problems at all for 15-year-old. Frankly, if a reader isn't old enough to get the jokes, this book isn't going to corrupt them. And if…moreI don't see any problems at all for 15-year-old. Frankly, if a reader isn't old enough to get the jokes, this book isn't going to corrupt them. And if they are old enough to get the jokes, they're already corrupted.(less)

Start your review of The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic, #1)
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes fantasy, cleverness, and a good heist ;)
Recommended to Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ by: Anne
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I'm probably going to horrify a lot of Fantasy lovers by saying this, but . . . I was not a huge fan of THE LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA by Scott Lynch. And believe me, no one was more surprised by that than I was. At the time this review was written, it had a 4.28 average rating on Goodreads, based on nearly 75k readers.

That's nuts.

Additionally, the second highest category (after fantasy) the book was shelved on was Adventure, and 25% of readers also shelved it as Cri
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
"Book, you have the right to a (not-so) speedy trial" review

THE DEFENSE

- Quite simply, one of the greatest ensemble casts I've ever read! - Whenever I read a book featuring a large group of protagonists, there's inevitably at least one who just doesn't hold my interest. But this time around, it was like every character was in a constant competition to be named my favorite! Everyone in this band of thieves and rogues have their own unique personalities and voices, and I couldn't get enough
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
👀 Now You See Me Now You Don’t Buddy Rerereread with My MacHalos Daughters and Wives and Stuff (NYSMNYDBRwMMDaWaS™) 👀

Previous rating: 4 stars.
New rating: 5 stars. Because why the stinking fish not?

I've read this book too many a few times. And it never fails to make me feel like this:

And a little like this, too:

"Why," you ask? Because:

I want to be Loch when I grow up. Because reasons.

Kail's mother jokes never get old.

Nothing beats a shapeshifting unicorn with a, um, slight obsession for you
carol.
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Pratchett, heists
Thanks to entirely mixed reviews among my friends, I ended up shelving this as do-not-read. However, when Amazon offered it as a daily deal, I forgot the details of why I didn't want to read it and decided to see for myself. Concerns included a personal peeve--multiple viewpoints--and a sense that racial issues, while included, are not handled particularly well. Still, a heist often makes for an intriguing and fun read.

“A lock-man, a second-storey operator, and somebody who can jigger with the c
Sean Gibson
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Who doesn’t love capers? Or maybe I mean shallots…I always mix those two up. Honestly, I’m not entirely sure I love either. Except for capers—that is, of the daring heist variety.

Enter The Palace Job. Lots of friends on GR are big fans of this book, and as I am big fans of them AND capers (of the daring heist variety; jury still out on the edible kind until I figure out exactly what they are), I figured I should probably read this book.

Let’s see how this book does on the caper necessity checklis
Anne
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Also reviewed for Addicted2Heroines.

The first thing you should know is that I suck when it comes to writing a glowing review. I wish I was one of those people who can eloquently describe how a book made them feel, and then suck you into their review with all those long flowing words. Alas, I guess it's just not meant to be.
*sigh*
M'kay.

OhMyGodThisWasSoMuchFunToRead!

Have you ever read a book that just made you grin like an idiot?
If not, you seriously need to find some better stuff to read...
W
Milda Page Runner
Oct 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
Well, this was so bad it was almost funny. Err.. I mean - It did not work for me.

This book has plenty of good reviews and quite a few of my friends liked it - so I gave it a fair chance. Despite the urge to drop it at 30% - I've pushed myself to finish it. And nope. I have not found a one redeeming quality. But let's be constructive:

POVs - more than 10 in the first quarter of the book. Every good guy bad guy and their brother get their own perspective. Povs swap as often as twice in one page at
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Editorial comment: I wrote half of this review late at night a couple of days ago, and then my iPad ate it while I was off in another screen looking for just the right warhammer pic. iPads can be really stupid and unforgiving that way. I was so frustrated that I grabbed my husband and went off to bed, which pleased him and at least made me feel better about something. So here's my second take at this review, even though it feels like there were some inspired thoughts in my first review that are ...more
TS Chan
I have termed the The Lies of Locke Lamora as a blend of Ocean’s Eleven and The Godfather in a fantasy setting. That’s not entirely wrong but I think that I’ve found another book which suited the Ocean’s Eleven tagging even more aptly and that is The Palace Job.

For one, the motley crew here was much bigger – all nine of them - and consisted of a truly diverse group of individuals of varying skills and expertise, one of which was actually a non-living item that has a personality of its own. I’
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
The Palace Job? Think Ocean's Eleven meets fantasy & adventure. There isn't much else to say really, besides the fact that this book is pure, unadulterated fun.

What makes this book so cool? First and foremost, the cast of characters. What a crew! Unique, colourful (to say the least), resourceful, hilarious and very lovable. Best gang of misfits ever!

Loch the very cool, badass ragtag leader.
Kail the faithful second in command with his hilarious lines about other people's mothers.
Tern the
Robin (Bridge Four)
The entire series is on sale for $2.00 each today 8/2/16 Here

3.5 This is an A.D.D. person's dream book stars

I am not A.D.D. in fact I have a hard time moving onto a new task or train of thought until I’ve amply concluded the one I’m currently having. And that was my struggle with this book and why I didn’t like it nearly as much as all of my friends who gave it 4.5-5 stars. I still very much enjoyed it entire book but it took me until the 40% mark to even get a feel for who all the players in th
Mike
I considered reviewing the first three books in the Rogues of the Republic individually, but in retrospect these books aren't so much discrete books but parts of one overarching story (and in no way related to the fact I took so long to get around to reviewing them I had forgotten some details of them). While there are distinct heists in each of the books there is one plot line that winds its way through each book. I would recommend anyone reading this series to read them consecutively, I think ...more
Kaora
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well that was fun!

The Palace Con is about Isafesira de Lochenville (also known as Loch), who is serving her time in prison, set up by a man who stole her inheritance. But when she escapes, she begins to assemble a crack team involving a unicorn, a young thief, a death priestess and a wizard in order to get back what was taken from her.

This book reminds me slightly as a cross between Ocean's Eleven and Gentlemen Bastards. It is witty, and while the humor is not on the same level as Scott Lynch (w
Bradley
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
In my estimation, Heist novels never get old. I love the feel of outsmarting wicked, pompous, and the ideologically Wrong. The constant jabs and Republicans were very funny. I never once forgot that this was a fantasy novel, but I was constantly reminded of how idiotic certain IDEAS are. I giggled, chortled, and even guffawed a few times. Heist novels area always about upsetting the status-quo. That means we need an extremely clear world to be built in order to break it. The Palace Job delivers ...more
Terence
While trapped behind enemy lines, Loch's inheritance was stolen from her. Loch plans to steal the most valuable part of the inheritance back, a priceless elven manuscript. In order to do that Loch along with her trusted friend Kail assemble a colorful team to get the job done.

The Palace Job was quite different than I anticipated. The description makes the book sound like it's funny, but I doubt I laughed at anything that happened or was said. I did smile a few times such as when Kail described w
Jaya
3.75-updated-to-4-solid entertaining-heist-caper stars

What's not to like? A motley crew of a kick ass leader, her lieutenant (with classic one-liners), a shapeshifter (who is actually a unicorn with a penchant for seducing young male virgins), a death priestess (who has a talking warhammer), a wizard and duo of thieves and a clueless innocent boy set out to seek revenge from a mean evil villain. Chased by and an honorable (and handsome) person of justice (with his mixed feelings towards the l
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mogsy (MMOGC) by: Brian
Update: This was an old review, and so I wanted to say that as far as I know the Kindle version has since been corrected and is now free of the formatting errors and typos. The publisher even contacted me after see this review and was awesome enough to replace my old copy with the fixed one! Plus I'm aware that this book also just got "re-released" so I'm sure everything should be perfect now! Go read it, it's a fun book!

A band of thieves plot to pull off the greatest heist ever -- fantasy styl
Emma
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, magic
I would have liked to have given this another star but it was really too patchy overall. I liked the humour, I liked the crew. Reviews of the next two in the series are better and I think this is probably because the reader has got familiar with the style of writing and the characters. This was entertaining- very funny in places, a bawdy fantasy crime caper.
Jokoloyo
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this entertaining action-packed book when I was having rough days, and it was effectively kept me from stress too much. And as I had mentioned in several previous reviews, I am a sucker of a good rag-tag-team trope, so it was natural that I was tempted to rate as 5 star.

From what I perceived when reading this book, I like the voices of characters. They are distinctive for some characters(view spoiler).

As other reviews had m
Choko
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, advanture
*** 4.25 ***

Buddy read with my wonderful MacHalo Freaks!

What a fun ride!!! Fast paced, wildly entertaining and hilariously tender!!! Picture a gang of miscreants, among which we find a master safe-cracker, an acrobat/marshal arts creature or foreigner, whichever fits better, a Death priestess, a sentient talking hammer, an illusory creating mage, an innocent virginal boy called Dairy, coveting that virginal boy Unicorn, Loch, who is a black army kick-ass chick, and Loch's long-time army buddy
TL
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites
Dear Mister Weekes,

I did not expect to fall in love with this book but you have me ensared... these characters wormed their way into my heart fairly quickly and would not let go. Each one of them is BookFamily to me now :)

The world building in here is gorgeous and rich, it's easy to sink in and walk the streets... to believe in the magical aspects of the whole thing and to root for the characters (and curse the villains ;-))

Silestin:

Despicable man but truly believing in what he was doing... sti
Sherwood Smith
Jun 02, 2015 added it
Shelves: fantasy
Former scout captain Loch (described as a woman of color; I picture her like Zoe Washburn from FIREFLY) and her buddy Kail go out to gather a crew in order to steal a manuscript from the most power, and corrupt, figure in the Republic, who rules from a castle in an airborne city.

Secrets and powers fly around like lightning and thunder as the story unfolds at breakneck pace.The voice is terrific, vivid and funny, the heroes awesome; they are painted in somewhat broad strokes, and I was confused b
Stevie Kincade
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
(Audiobook) This was tons of fun. Narrator Justine Eyre was outstanding. Should you read it? YES
(Testing out my short form review steez.)
Lea
Buddy Read with my wonderful MacHalo Girls

This book is glorious . How could it not ? It features:

-An ancient talking warhammer.

-A death priestess who used to be a love priestess.

-A woman of color as the commandant.

[image error]

-One of the most amazing male/female friendships I've seen in a long time.

And really, any book featuring a horny unicorn is bound to be a fucking winner.

Alexandra
Ok peeps, I've read two chapters and this seems to be a mess, all sorts of odd things just thrown in. And it lost me with the shapeshifting unicorn who wants to deflower virgins. I'll admit it's a clever twist on the unicorn/virgin myth - but also a very sickening and disturbing one.

Sorry, I just don't think this kind of thing is funny. I am really, really over the whole men putting a premium on virginity like women are simply commodities thing. Really. Over. It. And this *twist* is giving me pe
Alaina
Pretty good audio!

The Palace Job was a pretty fast paced audio, from start to finish. Now I love a good heist book every now and then.. but some things in this book either happened way too quickly for my taste.. or kind of seem far-fetched? Maybe in a way? idk, I'm weird but I feel like certain evil things shouldn't have been killed too easily - could just be me though.

Other than that, Loch and Kail were enjoyable.. well, they made the book enjoyable. Especially when they were escaping out of a
Eric
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of light fantasy, especially Terry Pratchett
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley
This book was just so much fun that it was easy to overlook a few clunkily written passages. I will paraphrase a sentiment I frequently saw in other reviews -- this is Ocean's Eleven meets Dungeons & Dragons. And what else could that be besides fun?

First of all, every novel's opening should be as exciting as the jailbreak that gets this party started. Talk about getting the reader's attention. And it doesn't let up there. The plot speeds right along, collecting the rogues gallery that will attem
Carly
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, high-fantasy
~3.5

I love heists. I can't really explain why. It probably has something to do with the planning involved in the exploit, and the large cast of colorful characters, and the delicious twists within twists. Honestly, I have a hard time defining their magic, since one of the most ubiquitous aspects of heist stories--namely, that you can't actually think about the sequence of events without realizing that the whole thing is a haphazard heap of Refrigerator Logic tenuously upheld by unrealistic event
Camly Nguyen
Dnf 50%
Ok, now before any of you kill me, I tried to like this guys. I really did.

So in this world there are a group of superior people and a group of slaves. Loch is a slave. She escapes for that world and is now temporarily free. So she recruits a bunch of people to work with her to find an ancient book that belonged to her family and is worth lots of money but the judiscar Pelvis is trying to stop her because it's his duty to stop escapees. Bleh:/

I can see many people liking this book howeve
Tandie
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tandie by: BB&B group
This was so much fun to read! Oceans 11 type heist with a large, interesting cast. I was worried that I'd get lost with all the characters, but I ended up liking them all! My favorite was Icy Fist (short for Indomitable Courteous Fist), an acrobat/contortionist.

I did have issues with the cast of bad guys. Waaaay too many villains & henchmen to keep track of or care about. Three assassins when one was plenty!
1 - Hunter, the assassin in the gold armor. That whole side plot was jumbled & unnecessa

• Disenchanted (Land of Dis, #1)
  • Mercury Falls (Mercury #1)
  • Steal the Sky (Scorched Continent, #1)
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo, #1)
  • Among Thieves (Tales of the Kin, #1)
  • Aye, Robot (Starship Grifters #2)
  • Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City (The Siege, #1)
  • River of Thieves
  • Blackfog Island (The Dungeoneers, #2)
  • A Death, A Duke, And Miss Mifford
  • Paladin's Grace (The Saint of Steel, #1)
  • Cold Spectrum (Harmony Black, #4)
  • The Dungeoneers (The Dungeoneers, #1)
  • Gifts (Death Before Dragons, #8.5)
  • Clockwork Boys (Clocktaur War, #1)
  • A Double Life (Yellow Cottage Vintage Mysteries, #5)
  • Mercury Rises (Mercury #2)
  • In the Coils of the Snake (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #3)
See top shelves…
Patrick Weekes lives in Canada with their non-platonic life partner Karin, their children, and an ever-increasing number of rescue animals. By day, Patrick currently works at BioWare, where they are lead writer on the Dragon Age franchise. By night, they write novels whose feel usually boils down to “Absurd premise executed faithfully.”

Patrick enjoys Lego, martial arts, musical numbers, and chocol

Rogues of the Republic (3 books)
  • The Prophecy Con (Rogues of the Republic, #2)
  • The Paladin Caper (Rogues of the Republic, #3)

News & Interviews

“Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious.” 60 likes
“So how'd an academic end up walking a zombie through a palace on a heist job?” 14 likes