Start by marking “The Survivor And Others” as Want to Read:

2."Wentworth's Day"
3."The Peabody Heritage"
4."The Gable Window"
5."The Ancestor"
6."The Shadow Out of Space"
7."The Lamp of Alhazred"

Cover Illustration: Gervasio Gallardo
Second Ballantine Printing
Published February 1971 by Ballantine Books (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The Survivor And Others, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Survivor And Others

Nick
Jan 19, 2011 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: weird-fiction
Meh. This was a Derleth book. A lot of this stuff was super derivative of Lovecraft's stuff. The Survivor was OK, Wentworth's day was pretty good, The Peabody Heritage was extremely derivative, The Gable Window was pretty good but also highly derivative of the previous collaboration The Lurker at the Threshold. The Shadow out of Space was a worse version of The Color out of Space + The Shadow out of Time (this is obvious by the title). However, those stories were both really awesome, and this st ...more
Rod Hunrichse
Dec 12, 2012 Rod Hunrichse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: josepriestt
Recommended to Rod by: camarmol
The Survivor was a great tale (I feel represented since my nick is Alley'Gator), but apart from that, mixes other mad scientist story with Lovecraft's insane and dark world. You can guess what turns out.

The other stories are very repetitive (unless you read theese first), and I agree with a previous reviewer, to be stretching Lovecraft's bubble gum, but we all will continue to look for more content from this genius even if it is a co-production based on a napkin.

Consume with care.
Ken
Nov 16, 2014 Ken rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
It was great fun to be back in Lovecraft's world again. These 7 stories were outlines that Lovecraft left behind, and August Derleth fleshed them out. They basically had the feel of 'reminders' of the actions that took place in his earlier works. The Survivor, the Peabody Heritage (the best of the lot), and the Gable Window all had the standard plot of a man who moves into the home of a deceased wizard and slowly discovers the house's secrets. Wentworth's Day reminds me of the 3rd story in Creep ...more
Mark Woodland
A last collection of stories from Lovecraft. OK if you like horror, but I've never much liked Lovecraft's writing. Perhaps it's the lack of quality of the writing; he knows how to set a good mood, but I usually find that the storytelling lacks depth. Lovecraft wrote a LOT of books, and I think that may be a key factor. He had to write fast to maintain that kind of output, and Stephen King he ain't. This is an interesting collection IF you're a Lovecraft fan.
S
Dec 09, 2014 S rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The difference between Lovecraft and Derleth is definitely noticeable here. Was it just me, or were some of the plotlines almost identical (to each other and to other Lovecraft works)?

Derleth also laid some things on with a really heavy hand...this might have been fan service, I guess. However, the pointed references to the mythos could not have been less subtle if he bolded, capitalized, and underlined each instance of "the Mountains of Madness".
Michael Steinhour
May 14, 2008 Michael Steinhour rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any Horror fan
These tales, based on notes left after Lovecraft's death and written by August Derleth, are still original and frightening all these years later. Last night I read The Shadow Out of Space before going to bed...and I had dreams that the Ancient Ones were coming for me.

This morning I awoke to the realization that I need to make a button that says: "Can't sleep, Cthulhu will eat me."

0 rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2017
Anita
Anita rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Ashley Davis
Ashley Davis rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2013
Steve Prosser
Steve Prosser rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2010
Manuel
Manuel rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2012
Erzsebet
Erzsebet rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2014
Sisyphe
Sisyphe rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2015
Prospero
Prospero rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2011
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2008
Бојана
Бојана rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2017
Jovany Agathe
Jovany Agathe rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Richard Novak
Richard Novak rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2009
Harry
Harry rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2010
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2014
Muslim
Muslim rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Allen Stucker
Allen Stucker rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2012
Melinda
Melinda rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2012
David Myers
David Myers rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2017
Norman Cook
Norman Cook rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2010
Joe Locascio
Joe Locascio rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2007
Cawasnow
Cawasnow rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2016
Matias
Matias rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2015
ivaaan
ivaaan rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2011
Szabina Tekeres
Szabina Tekeres rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
More about H.P. Lovecraft...