Start by marking “Cinderskella (Scarily Ever Laughter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cinderskella (Scarily Ever Laughter, #1)

Cinderskella

(Scarily Ever Laughter #1)

Cindy is just a normal eleven and three-quarter year-old. At least until she wakes up one night and finds out she’s dead. Well, she isn’t technically dead—she just doesn’t have any hair . . . or a nose . . . or skin. Yep—all bones, no body.

Human by day and skeleton by night, Cindy is definitely cursed. And because her mother recently died, Cindy has no one to turn to exce
Published October 26th 2013 by Jolly Fish Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Cinderskella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cinderskella

Start your review of Cinderskella (Scarily Ever Laughter, #1)
Amie
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I hate rating my own work because honestly, I'm my own worst critic. Still, I hope readers find Cinderskella to be a funny, heart-warming read.
Chantal Bellehumeur
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of Cinderskella in exchange for a review and am happy to give it a high rating. I would have given it 6 stars out of 5 if I could.

This original tale, told by an eleven year old girl who finds out that her recently deceased mother left her with a curse, was an awesome read!

At first I wondered why a loving mother would want her child to turn into a skeleton every night. Despite all the humour that goes on, I felt a bit of pity for the main character because her father could not h
Erleen Alvarez
Sep 22, 2013 rated it liked it
For more of my reviews, visit Books For YA!

Cindy used to be a normal girl with a normal life but everything changed when her mother left her something before she died. If you think it was a piece of jewelry or her last letter then you’re wrong. She gave Cindy…a curse. She’s normal in the morning but she’s a skeleton at night. But being a skeleton is not the only problem. Her father remarried immediately after her mother died without giving her a heads up. Now, she has a stepmother who is giving
Mia Siegert
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a MG book since I was around MG age, or perhaps a touch younger since we didn't have as many resources. I decided to read this because Amie is one of my JFP friends and when I saw a Kindle sale on both of her (and her daughter's) books, I wanted to support them. As well, 2016 is the year where I've decided I'm going to experiment with books that I normally wouldn't read due to genre (such as me taking myself literally).

That said, I'm surprised not more people know about this book
Liesel Hill
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Plot: Cindy is a typical junior high girl with a best friend and a crush. Until the day she is called home from school to the bedside of her dying mother. Not long after her mother passes, while alone in her room, Cindy looks down and finds that her skin is gone, along with all muscle and everything else except the bones. She is a skeleton! It seems she turns into a skeleton when night falls, but then back into herself with the dawn. Now Cindy, who dubs herself Cinderskella, must deal with her c ...more
Janet Jensen
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Okay, middle school is a difficult time of life even if you aren't grieving and you don't change into a skeleton every night. When Cindy's curse is revealed to her, as you can imagine, life takes some very unexpected turns. True to the traditional Cinderella story, this tale also features a charming young man, a missing shoe, a stepmother and stepsisters, a father who seems to be clueless, and a confusing list of chores that must be done before a girl can go to the dance.

However, Cindy discovers
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Today I'm so excited to share Cinderskella with you. It's the perfect book to review today in honor of Halloween tomorrow. I do need to tell you (full disclosure and all that) that Amie is a friend of mine. I've been following her quest as an author for a while now and I'm so happy and excited that she has finally made it to the big leagues! A published book is no small feat. But, my review is in all honesty because I would never lie about a book just for my friend. :)

Cinderskella is a middle gr
em_panada
Nov 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I originally bought this book on my kindle and gave a review on it, but what the heck-

Cinderskella is a modern retelling of the classic Cinderella story (Grimm Version), and follows Cindy's life after her mother passes away, and also when her curse activates. Like most children who might be recipients of the spell - she finds being a skeleton kinda cool, and yet frustrating. And unlike most children who might freak out about it, Cindy manages to keep her calm and cool.

I can't say anything bad ab
Nisa
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I sure hope Bethanie and Amie Borst have more cute tales they're planning to write because I will be first in line to read them. This fantastic adventure is unlike any other Cinderella story I've ever read and all the little surprises throughout will keep you on your toes. The best part, of course, are the little "Time Outs" throughout the book. These read kept me giggling through Cindy's hard times with just the perfect amount of spooky for a middle grade (and me!)

The lessons it teaches about a
Lisa Martin
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In love!

I have always been a fan of the fairy tale, but seriously.....how many times can you read the same one? Or read an adaptation that is the same? This was a terrific take on an old tale. I loved reading it for myself and reading out out loud to my little ones. This is a great story for a young, budding, independent reader. It is creative, a little dark, very funny, full of love, and impossible to put down. What an awesome mother - daughter team. I hope this is not the last book they write
Kissed by Ink
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
All it took was a trip to YA Fest and a great conversation with authors Amie and Bethanie to convince me to read CINDERSKELLA. A middle grade modern retelling of a classic fairy tale, thus book does what the original didn't. It made me laugh. The humor and teenage snark shines through, but also allows for a greater message. Be yourself, love yourself, and trust the family and friends that surround you. This is a MUST read for all middle schoolers!
Natalie
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun read! I love the clever spin on the classic Cinderella tale. Very creative!

Cinderskella is full of great imagery, lots of witty humor, and loveable characters. You feel like you are being transported right along with Cindy through her journey of grief, to self-acceptance, and finally being able to embrace her new, less-than-typical life. I'd recommend this book, and I hope it is made into a movie!!
Stanley Katrina
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Neighbor Girl read this book fairly quickly. She enjoyed the plot.
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: extended-reviews

True rating: 2.5 stars.

Spoilers, spoilers, spoilers! So you’ve been warned, warned, warned!

It sure rubs me the wrong way when an author gives her own book 5 stars. And when her friends, and at least one label-mate, do the same. But I suppose that's a by-product of the independent press. Still, even though support is great, honest, unbiased reviews are the foundation of Goodreads.

Cinderskella is not a thoroughly bad book: the premise is intriguing and original, and its underworld is interesting,
Medeia Sharif
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This middle grade is a mix of what's spooky, fun, and heart-tugging. It's a unique adaptation of a fairy tale--girl turns into skeleton, hello--that's sure to please young readers. It was sitting in my Kindle for a while--although the Kindle edition link is no longer working on Amazon--but I couldn't ignore the ebook for long. Between the cover, description, and opening pages that pulled me in, I read it in two days.
Connie Jo Lawson
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
loved it ,,so awsome,,cant wait for more,,,awesome author,,hope she writes more
Patricia Kaniasty
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very original and cute story. I really liked all the characters especially the mouse. Cute name for the book also. Lots of wonderful pictures.............a little eerie but appropriate.
Bruce Gargoyle
Ten Second Synopsis:
After Cindy's mother dies, Cindy discovers that she has been cursed to turn into a skeleton every night at dusk. But can Cindy turn this curse into a blessing? And how will this affect her chances with her new crush?

I have been meaning to get to this book for an absolute age - I bought it over a year ago and it's been sitting on my kindle tempting me since. Having finally made time to get into it, I have to say that I really enjoyed the story and the original take on possibly
Jen
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I impulse bought Cinderskella at a book signing this weekend. I very rarely read middle grade books but I fell in instalove with the title, the cover, the sketches scattered throughout the book, and the very creative spin on the Cinderella tale! And really, they would have had me at “Human by day and skeleton by night” alone. I also thought it was great that the writing team was a mother and her 13 year old daughter! Kudos to you, Bethany, for being published at 13!

I briefly considered rating th
Colette
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Middle-Graders will love this spooky tale of Ella as she copes with the lose of her mom (while dealing with a curse which turns her into a living skeleton each night.) Though this is a good halloween read; but, its relatable characters make it a year-round story to enjoy. Overall 3/5 stars; don't forget to pick up its companion novel Little Dead Riding Hood!
Teresa Kander
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, booksparks
full review soon
Jo Schneider
Dec 07, 2013 rated it liked it
A twisted fairy tale for our day.
I'm not a huge fan of young reader books, but this one held a great deal of imagination as well as humor.
Jenifer
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book needed more revisions. Character development was lacking. The time outs in the story were distracting and the pacing needs help. It could be an interesting story but it still needs work.
Anahi
Jan 21, 2019
Robert Stacey
Oct 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

• Ella Enchanted (Ella Enchanted #1)
  • Bunnicula (Bunnicula, #1)
  • Stone Fox
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Horrid Henry and the Mummy's Curse
  • Sadie the Saxophone Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Music Fairies, #7)
  • The Diary of Janie Ray: Books 1-5!
  • The Julian Chapter (Wonder, #1.5)
  • Pluto (Wonder, #1.6)
  • Auggie & Me: Three Wonder Stories (Wonder #1.5, 1.6, 1.7)
  • Shingaling: A Wonder Story (Wonder, #1.7)
  • My Fox, My Friend Forever (My Fox, #6)
  • My Fox Series Collection: Books 1-3 (My Fox #1-3)
  • Camp
  • Click
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass
Amie Borst still believes in unicorns, uses glitter whenever possible and accessorizes in pink. She enjoys eating chocolate while writing and keeps a well-stocked stash hidden away from her family. A native New Yorker she currently resides in Northern Virginia with her husband, three children and a cute dog named Lily. She wishes she had a hot-pink elevator with carnival lights to travel the world ...more

Scarily Ever Laughter (3 books)
  • Little Dead Riding Hood (Scarily Ever Laughter, #2)
  • Snow Fright (Scarily Ever Laughter, #3)

News & Interviews