Start by marking “My Humongous Hamster” as Want to Read:
My Humongous Hamster

My Humongous Hamster

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  118 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Whether taking a spin on the Ferris wheel, stopping a burglary in progress, napping at the foot of a mountain, or gazing longingly off into a sunset, Humongous Hamster is a hero every kid will adore. He eats trees like broccoli, gives kids a ride to the park, and scares the neighbor’s cat. He is so silly that he's completely irresistible. In the end, though, he misses his ...more
Published February 11th 2014 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published April 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about My Humongous Hamster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Humongous Hamster

Petra Eggs
A question. Are hamsters prone to binge-eating or is this becoming an urban myth? I'm on a bit of a hamster kick right now. I just read Tiny Hamster Is a Giant Monster which is sort of Dogzilla meets King Kong and they all get shafted by Hamsterosaurus, or something. So I got this book.

The premise is the same as Tiny Hamster. Hamsters that eat too much which makes them grow bigger than building-size and see what happens. Tiny Hamster has a real story and is beautifully illustrated with photo mo
Edward Sullivan
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fans of Dav Pilkey's Dogzilla and Kat Kong will enjoy this one.
Lara
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Nothing particularly exceptional in the story itself, but I do have a weakness for hamsters and found the illustrations a hoot.
Barbara
Relying on up close photographs of an adorable hamster, the author of this picture book imagines what might happen if the little creature ate so much and so fast that he no longer fit in his cage. The photos of the hamster having fun on the Ferris wheel, munching on trees, surveying the cityscape, and trying to find a place to sleep are funny. But in the end, despite all those outdoor adventures the hamster would be having, the narrator is sure he will return home since he misses his human compa ...more
S.Michelle
May 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
While this is a really cute hamster book, I wish that the cage (and it is a cage, not a house) was of an acceptable size for hamsters.

Golden hamsters, such as the one portrayed in My Humongous Hamster grow to be at least 5-6 inches long and need space to move around. The cages sold in stores and advertised as "for hamsters" are actually very cruel to our fuzzy little friends. Just think, how would you like to live in a 8ft by 6ft room, with just your bed and a table for the rest of your life? It
Melissa Neufer
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm giving this book 4 stars instead of 3 simply because I found this book so humorous and entertaining. I found myself laughing at the pictures and very very amusing. The idea of a giant- oh sorry, I mean- HUMONGOUS hamster being angry is hilarious. The picture with the cute angry eyes was a great add on. Great job!
Sharyn Craft
Apr 11, 2014 rated it liked it
The book was not what I was expecting. I thought it would be a story of a humongous hamster. No. It is about a boy who says that if he overfed his hamster, it would get too big to live in his house, too big to play in his wheel, etc. That's the whole book. Not very long and not very entertaining.
Kelsey
Feb 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: preschool, animals
Age: Preschool
Animals: Pet hamster

A great representation of the word "humongous" with no hyperbole here. That hamster is BIG. Sure the storyline doesn't make much sense because it is purely based on a "what-if" situation but the photographs make it seem so real! What if your hamster kept eating and eating until he became humongous?!
Mary
This is a fun book for children who have hamsters as pets or who just like silly things. The imagination of the narrator is contagious as the reader discovers many of the the things that could happen if a hamster were to grow to unbelievable size. The images are large and colorful, which makes it a fun book to read aloud.
Sandra Guerfi
Aug 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Hamster is brought to school for today's show and tell. While left in the lockers he proceeds to eat everything in sight including everyone's lunch. He becomes gigantic and takes part in the kid's activities throughout the day including dance class. But by the time it's time to go home will he still be gigantic or will his day end peacefully? Silliness is this story's assignment.
Nora
Jul 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: jp
What would happen if your hamster ate so much that he grew humongous? He could run in a ferris wheel and eat trees like broccolis~! But what if he missed you, so he grew small again? Then he could live in his house and play with you.
Steven Matview
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: e
This book is really similar to Dav Pilkey's Kat Kong and Dogzilla. Same use of actual animal photographs blown up and inserted in a background that makes them appear larger than in real life. It's a quick read but has a few cute pages.
Robin
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Pulled this one from a box of newly arrived picture books and I think it's really inspired. Using photos for illustrations, the narrator challenges us to think about what would happen if a hamster got really, really big!
Josiah
May 19, 2014 added it
Recommends it for: Never read again
Recommended to Josiah by: The devil
It sucked so bad
Rachel
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting altered photo illustrations. Some of the text word choices and placement are awkward. But a great connection to using your imagination.
Gary
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
What an adorable book! The kids loved the humongous hamster and were fascinated by it.
Sharon Lawler
Photo essay on the ramifications of being a humongous hamster.
Sara
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another entry into my GIGANTIC animals story time. I think I'm going to have to actually do it.
Celest
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute, but not the most creative children's book out there.
Tracy
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I want to squeeze this adorable, huge hamster! I think my niece will get a kick out of seeing a giant hamster looming over a city and giving kids a ride on his back. Love it!
Jodie
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it
The narrator wonders what it would be like if the pet hamster ate so much it would not fit in its cage anymore. There would be both good and bad things with a humongous hamster.
Beth
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved the use of scale in the photographs of the hamster to make him appear humongous. Very clever.
Lynn Christiansen
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014, storytime
I was ridiculously amused by this book. So cute!
Nicole
In the vein of Kat Kong and Dogzilla. Love the real photos and humor. Perfect for preschool-early elementary.
Colleen
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, prek-2
This is a great story to read with 1st/2nd graders. It just silly and fun.
Heydi Smith
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-storytime
Wonderful pictures and great story. Definitely a fun one for storytime.
Penny Ramirez
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Darling photos and a fun storyline. I'll share this with the younger set!
Cemeread
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
A child imagines what would happen if his hamster ate his whole bowl of food in one gulp. Digitally altered photos of a hamster and people are used to illustrate the book.
Carly
Sep 12, 2015
Jj
rated it did not like it
Feb 12, 2016