Start by marking “The Gullwing Odyssey (Gullwing, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Gullwing Odyssey (Gullwing, #1)

The Gullwing Odyssey (Gullwing, #1)

Winner of the 2014 Royal Palm Literary Award, First Place, in the category of Humor and Satire.

Marco’s life as a messenger isn’t great, but the work is easy and he gets retirement pay in thirty years. Little does he know his life teeters on the cusp of change.

When an unusual assignment sends him overseas, he finds himself stranded in foreign lands. Even that wouldn’t be s
ebook
Published August 8th 2013 by Darkwater Syndicate, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Gullwing Odyssey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gullwing Odyssey

Start your review of The Gullwing Odyssey (Gullwing, #1)
Bookish
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining fantasy adventure.

As Marco embarks on an errand to deliver an important package, his life takes a most unexpected turn.

What ensues is a riotous escapade full of diverse and interesting characters, situations full of danger and challenge, and enduring friendships that change not only Marco’s outlook on life but also his entire future.

The storytelling is lively and colorful, carrying the reader along at a good pace and immersing them in Marco’s experiences. The narrative is infus
Kyra Halland
(I received a free copy of this book for the purpose of giving an honest review.)

All Marco Gullwing wants to do is deliver an important package for his prince. Then he's mistaken for someone he isn't, and finds himself whisked off on an adventure involving an island full of dragons, flying ships, and an evil conspiracy.

The Gullwing Odyssey is a very silly book. Homicidal hummingbirds, dragons both bureaucratic and amorous, a surprisingly bloodless way of doing battle, Red Underwear Tuesday... It
Shana Festa
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Visit www.bookie-monster.com to read our review. ...more
Scherry  at The Novel Lady
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Still chuckling and shaking my head, I just finished listening to the Audible version of The Gullwind Odyssey. This was an outragously witty and humorous fantasy adventure that I absolutely loved... BECAUSE.

The story starts out as Marco Gullwing, a messenger, is on his way to deliver a parcel to Queen Catherine Saint-Saenz Lucinda of Avignary. He is mistaken as an emissary and through a series of laugh-out-loud misadventures that include being shot out of a cannon, nearly having his brains suck
Reader Views
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed by Sheri Hoyte for Reader Views (02/17)

“The Gullwing Odyssey” is the first book in the Gullwing Series by Antonio Simon, Jr. It is a delightful fantasy story involving kings and princesses, dragons, knights, and even a few human beings! The story revolves around Marco, a messenger for Lord Amadis Eric, and his primary mission– to deliver an important parcel to Queen Catherine Saint-Saenz Lucinda of Avignary. With Queen Catherine located on the other side of the world, Marco realizes he
Insouciantly
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was a riot. I actually listened to it on audio book, which I think really made the characters for me. Nominally it is a (young adult?) humor fantasy novel following the adventures of Marco Gullwing. He is a messenger boy, who in the course of a mission accidentally boards the wrong boat and ends up in places doing things he never expected. Its a classic coming of age tale as Marco really starts out as a bit of an ass, but starts coming into his own through various trials and tribulatio ...more
Nicolas Wilson
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
So I sort of stalled out on this one around the holidays. It's hard for me to get into swords-and-sorcery kind of books, although I enjoy them. I just find myself wanting... more... and getting distracted. I'm still stuck about 2/3 of the way through, since I've got a goldfish memory and after a day away from it, couldn't remember what was happening in it to continue. My wife has already finished it, having teased me mercilessly for being unable to pick it up where I left off and I told her she ...more
Abby Vandiver
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The story in this book is hilarious. There is this courtroom scene that . . . and then the receptionist that needs a pencil holder because . . . Oh, yeah and BECAUSE. . .

I know it makes no sense, what I just wrote, but neither did the magical, spiritual, extraordinary events of the book and that is why it is so good. The author couldn't have said it better when he wrote, in the book, no less, that the book was about religious zealots, neurotic dragon bureaucrats and bullying female sea captains.
Jada Ryker
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Odd I Say? Heck, Yes!!!

Gullwing Odyssey, by Antonio Simon, Jr., is a wonderful fantasy adventure. Marco, a plodding messenger, must traverse the world to deliver a package to Queen Catherine Saint-Saenz Lucinda of Avignary. His adventures begin when he is mistaken for an ambassador and bundled onto a ship.

Emperor Rao Ordan of the Itudaeian empire is facing imminent war. Chancellor Maldronigan, Rao's slimy magician and interested in the emperor's lovely (in the beholder ;) daughter Dria, commissi
K.T.
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing

The Gullwing Odyssey by Antonio Simon Jr is very different to anything else that I have read in a very long time.

It is quirky, gripping, twists and turns back on itself cleverly and is hilariously funny in a very dry witted kind of way. I absolutely loved it. I read it in hospital, waiting for my daughter to have emergency surgery and it should definitely have been harder for the author to engross me in anything - yet he managed it.

I loved the character of Marco Gullwing. He is adorable in a v
S.L.
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this story! It’s a fantasy, comedy, coming of age, adventure all wrapped up into one hilarious, witty, laugh aloud tale! The writing is superb–Simon has mastery over the English language and knows how to draw readers in with his elaborate storytelling charm. The humor sets the tone throughout.

Read my full review on the Reader Views Goodreads page!
Lex Allen
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Gullwing Odyssey begins with a case of mistaken identity that leads to a funny, tongue-in-cheek fantasy tale of epic proportions. Lead protagonist, Marco Gullwing possesses a unique blend of talent, luck and the blessings of the gods to get out of intensely dangerous situations that would have discombobulated, maimed or killed lesser men during his mission to deliver a simple letter.

A fantastically diverse blend of characters, on both sides of the protagonist/antagonist fence, make for rous
Mike Billington
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"The Gullwing Odyssey" is, in a word, charming.
It's an adventure story (complete with pirates - including one female ship captain who is not only pretty but also pretty ruthless); it's a fantasy (well, there are dragons and wizards); it's a love story; an espionage story (there is treachery afoot that could lead to the fall of an empire), and a coming-of-age novel all rolled into one.
And, as if that weren't quite enough, it's written with a light touch by an author who is not afraid of poking a
Sahara Foley
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mistaken for an emissary he is not, Marco Gullwing embarks on an adventure that changes his life. But all he wants to do is deliver his message/parcel. He runs across various characters in his travels that want to change him into something he is not, even hisself. This is a fanciful tale of self-discovery.

The story is full of wonderful, colorful, crazy characters and locations. Antonio did a great job bringing each character to life and letting them follow their own paths. Other than Marco, my
TheCosyDragon
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it

Marco the messenger boy really tries to stay out of trouble. When he is instead swept up into impersonating an ambassador, things in his life get far, far more troublesome than he could have ever imagined.

This novel had some fantastic laugh out loud parts that I couldn’t help sharing with my partner. And then she laughed as well. I really enjoyed
Scott Spotson
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Achieving farce is a very delicate endeavour, one that is very hard to pull off. First, I'll indicate some things I loved about the book. I loved the wordy and witty dialogue, especially when the chancellor, Maldronigan, is speaking. There are several laugh-out loud incidents of humour. The elements of fantasy - which I love as a genre - are certainly there, and definitely came alive at various points in the book.

Ultimately, the essence of the book has to be greater than the sum of its parts, an
Lita Burke
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Gullwing Odyssey by Antonio Simon, Jr. is a fantasy about an unpresuming young man’s case of mistaken identity that sends him on an adventure of a lifetime.

Messenger Marco Gullwing, bewildered with finding the correct ship that will convey him to where he must deliver an important package, boards the wrong boat bound for a country ruled by talking dragons. Things get complicated when the ship’s captain insists that Marco is an ambassador sent to the dragon kingdom to negotiate a treaty betwe
Simon Okill
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The Gullwing Odyssey (Gullwing, #1) by Antonio Simon Jr. is a monumental masterpiece of mirth and mayhem. I absolutely loved this book. Take the classic true tale of Marco Polo and reinvent it with devious dragon humanoids and you have an adventure fantasy like no other. The author has filled virtually every page with humour and wisecracks that all the family can enjoy without embarrassment. Coupled with action scenes so imaginative that this reader was positively awestruck and you have one heck ...more
A.V. Dalcourt

Luckless Marco Gullwing has one job, deliver a package to the Queen of Avignary. Instead he’s caught in the middle of diplomatic mission to avoid war between dragons and humans, terrorized by pirates, shot from a cannon, beat up by a humming a hummingbird with a rather questionable appetite for brains, seduced by a naked blue lady.... and that’s only the tip of the iceberg.

At first I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of characters, but rest assured each character is as vibrant as they are mem
Hildur Enola
Sep 26, 2013 rated it liked it
A farcical fantasy

Well, it took me a long time to get through this book, as the farcical feel of it isn’t my type of thing. There were people being fired out of cannons and surviving without an explanation, people having crazy sex with ”something” in a jungle, and brain-eating birds appearing and disappearing. Well, it all just made me tired. However, with that said, I can see the qualities. The book is very well written, has great vocabulary, is well edited, and all in all, is very well done.

Mu
Kelly Pinella
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Marco is in a pickle but finds a way to press forward on an adventure with dragons. When we see Marco accused of impersonating an international dignitary, the Hazaranthi emissary, the case moves into a bizarre courtroom. As the trial unfolds, I began to notice a mystery surfacing in the background: What happened to the real missing emissary? Dria the inexperienced princess is one of many scaly-skinned taloned creatures in the land of dragons who accompanies Marco on his journey. Who is Marco? Is ...more
Andrew Boyd
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Style wise, this is a very interesting piece. For me, the comic style felt like a mixture between a Mel Brooks/Monty Python. There is a large amount of satire in this novel, and here’s the kicker, good satire/comedy is always hard to write. But, The Gullwing Odyssey does satire/comedy well. There were many scenes and situations there were hilarious, well timed and original. The pacing was good throughout, but in my opinion some of the action scenes involving many characters were a little fragmen ...more
Nathan Curtis
Sep 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Gullwing Odyssey is completely unlike any fantasy book I've ever read, and that is a good thing. The premise starts out ordinarily enough; Marco is a messenger just trying to deliver a package overseas. However, a case of mistaken identity leads him to a wild, rollicking adventure which completely changes him.

The main thing that stands out in this book is the light, humorous tone the author uses. From the various characters Ma
Ceet Ceet
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was actually a pretty cool book. The story is full of action and adventure, and is pretty funny on the parts with no fights. It’s a fantasy about a young messenger named Marco Gullwing. When first tasked with an important job by the king of his own land, Marco is then mistaken for the messenger of a completely different nation, which sends him on an amazing journey that changes his life.

The author does a great job bringing the reader into this world of talking dragons, superhuman knights,
Demelza Carlton
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A really funny fantasy that pokes fun at religion, teenage girls...and, well pretty much everything that falls within its purlieu.

It's a brilliant, light fantasy adventure that I'd recommend for anyone who's not after something too dark and deep. Marco reminded me little of Terry Pratchett's character Rincewind, in terms of his ability to fall into danger and do the stupidest, most unlikely things - with a good dose of humour. Marco is younger and more whiny, though, with very little thought be
Hilarie Joy
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Antonio Simon, Jr. has created one of the most hysterical, lighthearted fantasies that I've ever read and enjoyed. Easily enjoyed by young adults as well as adults, this work is sure to please. Talking bipedal dragons, a comedic irreverence toward religion, and improbable red undergarments ensure that the read is light and doesn't take itself too seriously. Tonally, the sarcastic and goofy humor is sure to resonate with Douglas Adams fans. Though certain fantasy elements are standard, there are ...more
Jalpa Williby
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an enjoyable read. Honestly, I was lost in the story. The main character was Marco Gullwing, and for me, he was immediately a likable guy. As a reader, I couldn't believe that one thing after another kept happening to this poor fellow.

As far as I'm concerned, the author is a fantastic writer. It's a smooth style of writing (but witty at the same time), and he is gifted to instantly draw his readers into the plot.

The Gullwing Odyssey is a fantasy, full of adventure, humor, and action. There
Jennifer Loiske
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!

Adventure with a great touch of humor. The main character, Marco Gullwing, accidentally gets drawn inside of a fantastic adventure. He can kiss goodbye to his old life and start embracing his new life full of pirates and dragons if he ever wishes to survive. And with his skills of messing things up…that is not an easy task.

The story is clearly meant for teen/YA readers. All though, the age doesn’t matter, as I’m sure readers of all age will love this book. I found it very ente
C.B. Pratt
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA over 15
Shelves: fantasy
Wow! Fun-filled, fast-paced, riotously action-oriented, this is a remarkable piece of work from first-time author Antonio Simon Jr. His descriptions are beautiful and his ideas vast. Though at times I could have used a little more information, I wouldn't want it if it would spoil the jokes...and there are a lot of jokes. His notion of a fully-operational Dragon Empire, as in an empire run by and for dragons, not as a metaphor for China, is about as good as fantasy gets.

I seriously wish we could
Susanne Leist
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful fantasy that parodies its genre, its characters, and whatever the author wants to make fun of. The main character, Marco Gullwing, goes on a simple journey to deliver a package to a queen. He fails to deliver the package and ends up on the wrong boat and encounters dragons, pirates, killer humming birds, and other strange creatures. Maybe he falls asleep and has a weird dream. Whatever the reason, he becomes the ambassador to broker peace between two countries. An unlikely h ...more
Antonio Simon, Jr. is a lawyer and author of several short stories and essays. He holds Bachelor of Arts degrees from the University of Miami (Florida) in the subjects of political science and history, as well as a Juris Doctorate from Saint Thomas University’s School of Law. It is from this unique combination of disciplines which he draws inspiration, always making sure to add healthy doses of to ...more