Start by marking “Meaning Of Masonry” as Want to Read:
Meaning Of Masonry

Meaning Of Masonry

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  288 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
In this classic book the author, himself a Mason, reveals the relationship between modern Masonry & the Ancient Mysteries; the philosophy & meaning of the symbols & rites of the Craft.
Published by Barnes Noble (first published 1775)

To ask other readers questions about Meaning Of Masonry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meaning Of Masonry

Dec 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, religion
This was quite a read that I attempted to read as carefully as possible but even then, I don't feel that I completely understand and appreciate what Wilmshurst was attempting to convey.

Nevertheless, this work has truly enlightened me to the true purpose of Freemasonry and my place as a Mason. It makes me wish that could repeat my degrees and understand them now that I am armed with such knowledge. Even while I feel a sense of lack, I am also filled with a sense of purpose that I need to better u
Mike Day
I really liked this book! I will write a more detailed review later, but wow!
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a clear and considered exposition of the meaning underlying the symbolism and ritual of Freemasonry. I found that reading it helped me considerably in understanding much of what occurs in the Lodge. Wilmshurst's discussion of Masonry's relationship to the ancient Mystery schools was very thought-provoking.

I highly recommend this book for any new brother, and I wish I had read it earlier in my Masonic career.

If I have one criticism, it is that Bro. Wilmshurst tends to over-emphasize Chri
Victor Rodriguez
I haven't finish reading it yet but, I'm already bedazzle by the glamorous prose of it's time.

OK. I just finished reading this book and all I can say is that it's of an invaluable measure the "Gift" within its content. I'm incredibly surprise by how this book came to my possession as a vulgar cheap prize discounted offer on Barnes & Nobles for less than 10.00 dollars. This is not a book, it's an ARCANE.
But them again, it shouldn't surprise me that all good things are never appreciated by th
Jeevan Anandaskaran
This book is the eye opening book about masonry you have been looking for, While not a mason myself this book in my research answered so many questions and put many historical timelines into context. This book is a lesson in self reflection that brings meaning to what has become wrote ritual. I understand more the reason for secrecy but also how outdated that concept is today. I also understand the power of the times we live in where the works cited in this book like the complete works of Plato ...more
Sherrill Watson
The edition of this book that I got from the Sun City library had a different cover, with different symbols of Masonry. ORIGONALLY PUBLISHED IN 1922!! Mr. W.L. Wilmshurst is a dyed-in-the-wool (pun intended) Enghlishman who writes from his unshaken belief in Masonry. Taking that into consideration (what about Islam? Confucianism? Buddhism?) he argues and puts forth convincing arguments for the study of Masonry as THE method of attaining Enlightenment.
May 31, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I thought this book was very interesting. I love seeing the comparisons to Masonry in my own faith. I don't know the right word to use... but the author uses way to many words to put forth a simple idea. It was hard to stay focused. Partly it was just really intense and deep and I wasn't able to get into it. Maybe I will look for another book about Masonry.
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freemasonry
I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to any brother mason. The first 3 chapters are a must read for any mason in search of the veiled allegory within the symbolism of the craft. This is a perfect starting point if you're interested in doing your own lectures in lodge, especially if you are wanting to delve into the more esoteric without going too far off the deep end.
Dec 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freemasonry
Like many classic works of Masonic literature, this book can take a while to wade through. Lack of paragraphs, arcane language, and run-on sentences pose quite the challenge to the reader.

If you stick with it and plow through, this is a very interesting explanation of the whys and hows of Masonry.
Chuck Springer
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me to get a better understanding of freemasonry. I really enjoyed this book, the history, the symbolism and description of the allegories. The book also helps one to realize that the Craft is to mean more than ancient rituals, it is a true spiritual journey and rebuilding of man within which good men are made better!
Matthew John
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a mason for a little over a year. This book was suggested to me even before I became a MM.

It is a difficult read at times but I believe every mason interested in the esoteric interpretation of the craft should read this book, multiple times!
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: masonic-occult
Still one of the best books on Freemasonry I've ever read; both from an Esoteric and Exoteric perspective. Highly recommended and because it's out of copyright, available online for free from multiple sources.
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: masonic

A great and interesting read. Pretty deep at times. The book is written for Freemasons so some of it would be easier to understand to those more versed in the craft. A fine book, theme, and call for masons to dig deeper.
Roger Wadleigh
While on the one hand it explains that Masonry is about perfecting the individual and creating someone better... It doesn't really go into how that's done. I guess that's some of the mysteries of Masonry.
Fredrick Danysh
Masons are a secret society that takes on the aspects of a religion. The author promotes the role of masonry as a dedication to science. To be a true Mason one has to forsake one's religious beliefs. Some of the basic tenants are explained.
Jason Maness
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for anyone looking to start on the journey into esoteric Masonry.
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good writing about the esoteric side of Masonic teaching.
Ia Deng
Mick Glasgow
Jan 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book on what Freemasonry means to the individual.
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good basic treatise on Masonry and its meanings. The author provides a decent framework for someone with questions without revealing too much.
Oct 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
63 page into it and it keeps me thinking about it hours into the night in my sleep
Mark Kirby
  • Symbols of Freemasonry
  • Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry
  • Born in Blood: The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry
  • Telepathy and the Etheric Vehicle
  • A New Encyclopaedia of Freemasonry (Ars Magna Latomorum) And of Cognate Instituted Mysteries: Their Rites, Literature and History (Combined Edition: Two ... Rites Literature and History/2 Volumes in 1)
  • Freemasons For Dummies
  • The Visionary Poetics of Allen Ginsberg
  • Life as Carola: A Tale of the Renaissance
  • James Baldwin: The Legacy
  • The Builders: A Story and Study of Masonry
  • The Practical Encyclopedia of Natural Healing
  • The Life And Words Of Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Complete Illustrated Book Of The Psychic Sciences
  • Here and Hereafter
  • A Bridge To Light , A Study in Masonic Ritual & Philosophy
  • Kabbalah
  • The Great White Lie: Slavery, Emancipation and Changing Racial Attitudes
  • Nostradamus: The Millennium and Beyond
Walter Leslie Wilmshurst was an English author and Freemason. He published four books on English Freemasonry and submitted articles to The Occult Review magazine. Born in Chichester, Wilmshurst was initiated as a Mason in the Huddersfield lodge in 1889, having moved to the town to become a solicitor, for a time becoming president of the Huddersfield Law Society. He died in Huddersfield.
More about W.L. Wilmshurst...

Nonfiction Deals

• A Room of One's Own
  • Life in a Medieval City
  • Untangled: Guiding Teenage Girls Through the Seven Transitions into Adulthood
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Weekends at Bellevue: Nine Years on the Night Shift at the Psych E.R.
  • Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts--Becoming the Person You Want to Be