Start by marking “The Breakers Series: Books 1-3 (Breakers #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Breakers Series: Books 1-3 (Breakers #1-3)

The Breakers Series: Books 1-3

(Breakers #1-3)

In the Breakers series, humanity faces not one apocalypse, but two: first a lethal pandemic, then a war against those who made the virus. This collection includes the first three books and is over 1000 pages (350,000 words) of post-apocalyptic survival.

BREAKERS (Book 1)

In New York, Walt Lawson is about to lose his girlfriend Vanessa. In Los Angeles, Raymond and Mia James a
Published August 1st 2013 by Edward W. Robertson

To ask other readers questions about The Breakers Series, please sign up.
V
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Breakers Series: Books 1-3 (Breakers #1-3)
Sean Scoles
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This omnibus, overall, is actually pretty well done. The plots moves along, it's fairly unique for the genre, well written, etc.

My biggest issue is the dialogue. Every character is a smart ass at all times. Every sentence is a 'clever' retort or sarcastic observation. There is practically no genuine conversation in the entirety of the series. Characters that appear for an entire book, a chapter, even paragraphs, they all have the same smarmy attitude. Gun in there face, running from aliens, nurs
N.N. Light
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so good, I can't even tell you. Well written with a fast-paced plot and original characters. Highly recommend, especially for post-apocalyptic fans!

My Rating: 5 stars

Reviewed by: Mrs. N
Matt Krieg
May 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: stopped-reading
Halfway through the second book I have yet to find a character I care about... I'm gonna call it quits on this series.
Chris
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing

With Apocalypses aplenty available from numerous authors these days, Ed Robertson manages something all too rare--a new take on an old genre--in his Breakers series. I won’t bother recounting the plot here--you can read that for yourself in the book description. And as I write this, the three-volume Breakers compilation (which includes Breakers, Melt Down, and Knifepoint) is available for 99 cents from Amazon (Kindle edition). Talk about value for your reading dollar!

What kept me turning the pag
Colin
Sep 18, 2014 rated it liked it
As with so many freebies, this is actually decent writing in desperate need of decent editing. It feels a couple of rewrites away from actually being quite good.

Book one uses two protagonists in alternating chapters, following independent stories that inevitably intertwine. Not startling, but structurally solid enough. The problem is that the two stories are basically asynchronous - the chronology doesn't match. Irritating early on, a much more serious problem as the threads draw together. The
Lindsey Brooks
Feb 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Really bad. Far too wordy, and heavily over-descriptive, with long, rambling chunks of info-dump about the characters and their backgrounds to try, mostly unsuccessfuly, to give them some depth. The author appears determined to always use ten words where one would do, resulting in the narrative moving very slowly. This is not at all a fast-moving tale! The characterization is poor, which makes the protaganists themselves uninteresting and I was very soon hoping they would all catch the virus so ...more
Philippe
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was expecting a post apocalyptic battle between human and aliens but in the end the aliens are not that important.
I was a bit disappointed in the end and thought on given up but I stick to it and I am glad I did.

Each book is the story of 3 or 4 characters going through the aftermath of an epidemic and how they cope. It is quite dark at time but probably reflect exactly how human would behave should it happen!
Kate Aldrich
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another apocalypse series. REALLY good. Read all three books quickly because I couldn't put it down. Psyched to see there's a fourth book in the series!
Ellie
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I picked these up on a whim for free on my kindle and ended up really enjoying them.
A post apocalyptic series that introduces aliens, The Breakers series is a great read which plays around well with different characters and storylines.
I did find it a little difficult to get into the story of the characters when each book began (and the changing characters aspect is quite tricky to come to grips with)but for the most part, the different characters were interesting and well thought out. There was
Jo
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As an avid reader of dystopian fiction, I was rather intrigued by the description of this series. The idea of not one but two apocalypses being brought to bear on an unsuspecting global population struck me as ambitious. However, the author managed to weave these two events with such mastery that I was held spellbound through each of three parts of this fantastic trilogy.

What I particularly liked is that the story is told from different points of view. Reminiscent of the style of George R Martin
Eddie Jong
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
The end of the world with a difference

All too often, apocalyptic books parade a veritable army of gangsters, military types with plenty of hardware and aliens that are evil.

Not so in this book.

The story is told through the eyes of ordinary people simply trying to survive each day in a world where nothing is the same anymore. Each book is written from a different person's perspective and this allows the author to fill out the characters seamlessly, something that he does well. The main protagonis
William Amerman
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've read through a lot of post apocalyptic books lately. Most of them, I can't even finish. Either the characters are unlikable, the plot is boring or there are so many typos and grammatical errors that I'm frequently pulled outside of the world of the story. This series, though, contains wonderful writing. Just enough description mixed with characters I care about. As a writer myself, I have an appreciation for many of the subtleties that this author nails.
I read the first three in this series
Clint
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really didn’t like this very much. I read the first book. At first I thought it was pretty interesting, well-written, and entertaining. But then it started to go downhill for me. The dialogue I didn’t care for. It didn’t seem realistic. Everything spoke to each other either with quippy one-liners, or with way too many pop culture references. I mean, I don’t know about you but I think I can make it through a whole conversation with somebody without even once mentioning my favorite 80’s movie or ...more
Darsie
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Three books all linked, with characters that cross over to each one.
I liked how the stories all converged, that characters seemed stuck out on a limb and yet the events of their stories ended up pulling them together in very interesting ways.

Characters that started out weak, even annoyingly so, became strong and worthy of respect. Others that seemed strong and invulnerable, faced situations that broke even their walls down.

Excellently written, with good character development and people that yo
Jon Grafton
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Breakers 1-3 is a great, fast read in a dystopian So-Cal setting. The primary protagonist is female, resourceful, tough and determined. So much in fact that at times, she and her friends, pressed to the edge to survive, must become the antagonists. I enjoyed this book a lot for its world building; something the author achieves with most entertaining and suspenseful results without throwing in a single witch, zombie, vampire or ghoul. Perhaps it is an old metaphor, but it is the battling fact ...more
Emily
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finally, an enthralling, adventurous sci-fi series without any jargon! This series was exceptionally entertaining!!

The author showcases each character's endearing quirks, irritating flaws and entire decision-making process, which made for a highly relatable cast. I enjoyed getting to know each of them and became invested in their stories. It wasn't your typical hero story and felt more realistic - ordinary people saving the world almost by accident.

Going back and forth between characters made
Craig Pearson
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
There is a lot to unpack with these books. Some reviewers are quite correct that a good editing process is missing. Dialogue is stilted and rambling. Some pieces of the plot make no sense. Having said that the story still is somehow still a good read. The author uses an alien invasion using a virus attack that wipes out 99% of Earth's population as a background to the story. Those mega-deaths still result in millions of people immune to the virus but governments and society totally destroyed. Ro ...more
Jessica Niedzwiecki
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Scary!!!!!

First of all I can watch or read anything without getting scared,except Chucky when I was like 8 when it came out. This book...... Let me tell you,I had to have my husband walk me to the bathroom at night I was that scared. One night I went to the back of the house,my 9 year old daughter was in the spare room when she was supposed to be in bed; I screamed but there was no sound,you know the one!!
Anyway,well done,all the gore very detailed. Even though starting out was slow,by chapter
Brett McAlister
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good story line

I find this series to be believable once you accept the premise of the aliens. The characters all have their flaws making them human. No super heroes with unending good luck and unbelievable breakthroughs that win the day. I also like the multi threaded story line. It makes the whole thing much more interesting and gives it great depth. The main characters are fleshed out really well without becoming boring. Great job. I am looking forward to the rest of the series.
Patti Liszewski
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fanfeakingtastic!

freaking awesome. Cant wait to read the rest. I've always have had empathy to those that fight in any war. Your book let me see it all in a brand new light. I just wish that those in power over all the sheeple could do the same. I pray every night that we learn to save our world, & too often have nightmares that we won't. Until humans can evolve from their parasitic thinking, I'm afraid we may all be doomed. If you think about it enough, that might not be such a bad thing. Than
Chuck Heikkinen
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Earth is invaded by octopus-like aliens, but not before they have released a deadly virus that kills almost every inhabitant. Island groups of survivors assemble and some offer resistance. The main characters include a devil-may-care type who ends up accomplishing incredible feats, even when he's just trying to survive. A young-teen girl determined to avenge her parents' deaths from the plague arises in book 3. One anticipates book 4 with the question of what's next.
Emma Read
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Topical

I really enjoyed this series. Interesting how they link together and how each character learns about himself I thought some of the scenarios were a bit far-fetched but I can imagine that once society breaks down there will always be a semblance of reconstruction and trying to make a form of society. I found it quite believable but at the same time a little too extreme to be real.
Julie Powell
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have reviewed each book separately so will just say that this series is enjoyable, entertaining and humorous, despite its serious theme of survival in a broken world.

It has great characters, brilliant writing, twists and turns, great descriptions and sense of place. Seeing each character battle through terrible ordeals is a hook that pulls you along into a compelling read.

Loved it.

Highly recommended.
Elaina
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is probably the most well-rounded and fleshed-out dystopian set I have ever read. It’s imaginative, downright scary with possibility, and the characters are incredibly real. The way it’s told, from different viewpoints, and yet meshing together, is masterful. I have no hesitation AT ALL I giving this the full, well-deserved 5 stars.
Mark
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Continued

I felt the last was the best of the three books.i tied things together. Life and struggles to survive, greed and control of some who felt like they deserved everything resulted in a rebellion that seemed to be doomed from the start. But the determination of one young girl kept it all alive.
James J. Seals Jr
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This started out slow but I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. A very well crafted work with threads that come together to bring conclusion to the story to that point. Looking forward to completing this series.
Janna Kinnee
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Series

Read the first box set of three and was amazed ... this author doesn't sugarcoat the in and outs of his characters and not all of them will survive... but if you enjoy a well thought out and well written series you have to read this set...
W John Bodin III
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Not bad but think it would have been better as one volume instead of 3 going over the same events just from different points of view. Considered skipping pages as I got further along because iof repeated story, though I never did.
Donna Shipley
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I started this book I thought I wouldn't like it, but as I began to connect to with the characters and realized that it wasn't just a doomsday story, but a book about survival and the resilience of the human spirit. I enjoyed it very, very much!
Emma Louise
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
At first I wasn’t sure I liked this series of books but I carried on and ended up really enjoying it. I think the author can over explain sometimes. I particularly enjoyed book number 2 and the character Ness.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
What untold stories from this world would you like to explore? 1 3 Feb 19, 2014 06:50PM
Do you like the ping-pong structure of the narrative? 2 5 Feb 06, 2014 06:38AM

• Plague Wars: Infection Day: The First Trilogy: Three apocalyptic sci-fi technothriller adventures (Plague Wars Series Book 12)
  • The Ravagers Box Set: Episodes 1-3
  • Future Adventures: Eight Complete Adventure Science Fiction Novels
  • Solar Storm: Book 1: Season 1: Episodes I - III
  • Dragonlands: Volume 1-3 (Dragonlands, #1-3)
  • Rogue Stars: 8 Novels of Space Exploration and Adventure
  • The Dragon Blood Collection, Books 1-3
  • Shadow Magic: Six Strong Heroines of Urban Fantasy
  • Planet Urth Boxed Set (Planet Urth, #1-3)
  • Family (Surviving The Evacuation #3)
  • Wanderer's Escape (Wanderer's Odyssey, #1)
  • Kahayatle (Apocalypsis, #1)
  • Oasis (The Last Humans, #1)
  • The 28th Gate: Volume 1
  • Betrayal (The 1000 Revolution, #1)
  • Wasteland (Surviving The Evacuation #2)
  • Galactic Empires: Eight Novels of Deep Space Adventure
  • Kilenya Chronicles Books 1-3
Ed is the author of the post-apocalyptic Breakers series and the epic fantasy series The Cycle of Arawn. A former New Yorker and Idaho-guy, he currently lives in the LA area. His short fiction has appeared in a whole bunch of magazines and anthologies.

Breakers (8 books)
  • Breakers (Breakers, #1)
  • Melt Down (Breakers, #2)
  • Knifepoint (Breakers, #3)
  • Reapers (Breakers, #4)
  • Cut Off (Breakers, #5)
  • Captives (Breakers, #6)
  • Relapse (Breakers, #7)
  • Blackout (Breakers, #8)