Start by marking “Thirty Scary Tales” as Want to Read:
Thirty Scary Tales

Thirty Scary Tales

Thirty creepy, atmospheric horror stories by Rayne Hall.

These stories are 'quiet' horror, not overly violent and gory, although there are some graphic moments.

Please note: these stories have been previously published in magazines, e-zines and anthologies as well as in the Six Scary Tales collections.

British English.
Published August 2013 by Scimitar Press

To ask other readers questions about Thirty Scary Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thirty Scary Tales

Start your review of Thirty Scary Tales
megHan
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This is the last of the short story compilations by this author that I received in exchange for my HONEST review.

It also begins with a well done introduction, one that I think people reading this story should make sure to read through. She gives a lot of pertinent information in it that explains where she's coming from and her stories. She also includes more information at the end of her stories which are worth reading.

"Fear is personal. The same story may constrict one person's chest and set th
Matt Kruze
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Understated, classic chillers

A treasure chest replete with dark, wickedly enticing gems, Thirty Scary Tales is a collection of short thrillers set against a melange of backdrops from medieval fantasy to the modern-day, real-life scenarios we’ve all found ourselves nearly immersed in. The entwining theme though is the kind of chilling horror that shows more than it tells, and invests its readers like icy water: if you get through one of these stories without a shudder, you’re a braver reader than
Denise Bartram
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rayne Hall kindly sent me a copy of this eBook in exchange for an honest review. I originally didn't know what to say for this review when I first finished the book. I enjoyed it, I just didn't know how to word what I wanted to say, but here goes:

When I settled down to read this book, I was a little apprehensive as I am not a horror fan. I'm not really fond of blood and guts and gore and I am fairly squeamish - I close my eyes at the bloody bits when I am watching "Bones" on TV LOL. Regardless,
Deborah
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Deborah by: Goodreads
Shelves: own

Thirty Scary Tales is one of the best single-author short story anthologies I have read. Rayne Hall's scope as an author is breath-taking; in this collection, she has given the reader stories of psychological and supernatural horror; stories written in the first, second, and third person; stories in past and present tense; stories expanding upon or referencing well-known mythological characters and stories set in the fantasy world she created for her novel Storm Dancer.

Of course, as in
Daniel J. Weber
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted at: http://digerbop.ca/2013/10/thirty-sca...

Thirty Scary Tails… oops… I mean Tales. (Although thirty scary tails would be exciting too, I imagine.)

Mature-Content Rating: PG-13 (disturbing images and sexually mature scenarios)

There are a few numbers that can cause fear or trepidation. A common number is “13,” being avoided because it is “evil” or “unlucky” to the point where, in some countries, floor 13 is omitted when building high-rises. Some people are afraid of the nu
Kaitlyn
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this ebook as a promotional item on Tomoson.

When I first saw this book was up for promotion, I applied right away. I was so excited when I got approved.

This book wasn't as scary as I thought it'd be, but I loved that it was made up of short stories that the author had created based on real life experiences with a twist. The stories had real life experiences with an added creepy or scary twist that many people have had their imagination scare them with. I also like that at the end of t
D.B.
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thirty Scary Tales - A Book Review

Thirty Scary Tales by Rayne Hall

Author, Rayne Hall, has combined thirty, well written, scary short stories to make a book of horror. While these stories are not full of blood and gore, they do carry a lot of creepy, spooky, and spine-tingling terror.
Personally, I enjoyed this book immensely. Rayne Hall’s stories carry a vivid imagery that drew me right in. I loved that after each story, Rayne Hall has written a brief note telling about her inspirations for each
Rebecca
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review and was very pleased that I did. I don't generally read many short story anthologies unless I've been reading related work by the author; they often seem too short to me and don't always wrap up the tale in a way I'm happy with. I'd seen a few teasers of Rayne Hall's work before and decided this was a great opportunity to give her a shot.

As the author states in her introduction, fear is personal. What might scare one person may not
Jacquelyn Smith
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: own, horror
Thirty Scary Story by Rayne Hall
I was given a given a copy of this book by the author in exchange for my honest review.
What's inside of your mind....?
I am a fan of The Twilight Zone, so this book was a hit with me. Five little short stories that feeds your deepest fears. WOW!!!
They are just in time for Halloween or teaching someone not to trust someone that they meet. This little heart pounding thrillers start off slow, but your heart will beat fast and out control by the end out story.
There is
Andrea Cooper
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

I really enjoyed this collection of scary tales. To me, they remind me of a mixture of the Twilight Zone TV show and Tales from the Crypt. They are perfect for reading alone, or to a group for a scary night. Halloween is coming up and any of these would make a good tale while waiting for costume kids.

Even if you don't want to be scared, many of these tales have a message that can teach the young people of our day: Like The Devil You Know, Greywalker, By Your Own Free Will, Double Rainb
John Hennessy
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, 2014, horror
Terrific collection of stories that have more highs than lows. In fact, only two of the stories could be considered below par, five or six average ones, the rest, really great and actually rather creepy!
Enjoyed..now you go and enjoy them!

If you are short on time, try 'The Painted Staircase' - I think that was easily my favourite!
Cage Dunn
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
These are the tales we used to hear around the fire on a camping trip. Frightening, but not gory. They get you when you're sleeping.
I enjoyed them, but to make them stand out, I would like to see a 'big moment', a 'holy-shmoly' moment for the character. It's the only thing missing, in my view.
I enjoy scary tales, witty stories, smart and well-written. I just want a bit more of a jolt.
And I'm very happy that not all scary stories involve blood and guts (which almost always, are not scary as much
Roxie Prince
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read this review and more on my blog at [Roxie Writes].

Thirty Scary Tales: Creepy Horror Stories by Rayne Hall
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 4/5
Finished on August 4, 2016
Read with Kindle Unlimited Subscription
FREE with Kindle Unlimited | $.99 on Kindle | $13.99 in Paperback

This collection of thirty horror stories by Rayne Hall is eclectic and truly unsettling. With each story, you get something different, something equally surprisingly creepy. These stories aren't gory or violent, so if you're the sort of horror fan
Andrew wright
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I never read this book
Heather
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was absolutely thrilled when given the chance to review Thirty Scary Tales by Rayne Hall. One of my favorite things about fall beginning is I know it won't be too terribly long before the horror movies start hitting the screen. I am a total fear junkie and have been since I was a teenager. The scarier the better... I want to be in such a frenzy over how scared I am that I'm not sure if I am going to pee my pants, pass out, or scream. I also enjoy reading scary books; the problem, I tend to fee ...more
Jye
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Whilst incredibly well written I struggled to really enjoy these stories.

I personally wouldn't classify a single one of these as a scary or horror story. But they definitely play on fears that some people may find scary. The stories weren't exactly boring, but they didn't particularly grip me either.

I really enjoyed how at the end of each story the author provided the reader with some insights as to what inspired the story. Over all a decent effort, with the majority of the rating based on how
Penny Minding Mom
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
As a kid, I loved horror stories. I can remember sitting in fear in my living room watching “Nightmare on Elm Street” and loving every minute. I can’t say that I’ve changed a whole lot since then. I love a good scare now and then and although this book lacked the blood and gore of the stories of my youth, it has it’s own brand of fear.

“Thirty Scary Tales” by Rayne Hall is a collection of short stores designed to instill a subtle fear into the reader. The stories aren’t your traditional horror st
Nada Sobhi
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thirty Scary Tales by Rayne Hall is a collection of short stories encompassing an array of settings, narration styles and topics with theme of ‘scary’.

There are tales of vampires, ghosts, magic and dreams and other supernatural elements. They are all beautiful and enjoyable but do not compare to the pleasure and intrigue I experienced while reading The Grey Walker, Arete, Through the Tunnel, The Colour of Dishonour, Burning and The Painted Staircase – just to name a few.

There are a few stories s
Elice Mcneely
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received this product free from Rayne Hall through the BuView review program in exchange for an honest opinion. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

I have mixed feelings about this book of short stories. I think from the get go I was expecting horror stories (I hear that word and I think of Stephen King type horror). I would classify the stories overall more so of a I don't even know the word for it. Maybe suspenseful to a small degree but I
Edmund de Wight
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
As the title says, this is a collection of 30 stories. While they're supposed to be scary, not all are - of course the author warns you of this in the opening. What scares you may not scare me and vice versa. They all however are very evocative and thoughtful. Well written fiction that is worth your time to read.
The tales are rather short - which is exactly what they are supposed to be. It provides perfect bite sized reading options for when you're short on time but want to be entertained.
Rayne
Wulfwyn
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved It

I chose to read this book a tale a night for the month. There were times that I wanted to read another but I kept to my idea. I'm happy that I did so. The author knows how to tell a good story! Each tale was eagerly anticipated. I wondered about it during the day. I thought about the previous story. There were days when I couldn't imagine the nights tale would be better than one I just read. I was proved wrong repeatedly. It was deliciously delightful! I felt like a child again, eager fo
Neil
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review via the Goodreads group "Lovers of Paranormal" Read 2 Review program.
These 30 stories are mostly gems, full of suspense, twists, and comeuppances.
The author is equally at home in the modern world, historical times, mythology re-imagined, or a fantasy world of her own making. She has real depth and substance to her characters, and you inevitably find yourself connecting with them.
Her "Storm Dancer" world provides the setting for #2
Kitty-Lydia Dye
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review (LoP or Lovers of Paranormal)...

Rayne Hall's Thirty Scary Tales are more disturbing than scary. They aren't overtly gory, which is a plus for me as I much prefer horror which plays with your mind rather than makes your stomach churn, and leaves you with a sense of dread.
I really enjoyed reading the stories and as they are short I could read one when I had a spare moment then read another story later. My favourite stories were 'Each Stone, A L
Lou
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer- I was given a copy of Thirty Scary Tales by Rayne Hall in exchange for nothing other than an honest review. All opinions and thought expressed in this review are entirely my own.

I really enjoyed reading Thirty Scary Tales by Rayne Hall, but I can't help feeling a little bit let down, maybe my expectations were too high I'm not sure, but I definitely didn't find this book scary. Creepy at times yes, but scary not for me. Maybe I've read too much horror and have become desensitised to
Kirsty
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this ebook in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book. The fact that they were thirty smaller stories and not one huge long story made it easy to read. As she stated at the start, a story that is scary for one person may not be scary for another person. My personal favourites are:

Seagulls. This is one of my favourites. I hate birds, and I'm scared of them, so I could really imagine myself in Josie's shoes, never being left alone by seagulls.

The Bridge C
Angie
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Awwww... There is nothing I love more than Halloween... Unless, maybe, it's a bunch of creeptastic stories to read in the weeks leading up to Halloween. Yes, that might be better. Psyching myself up, working up the creep factor in my life before it's time to actually go out and get scared.

I received Thirty Scary Tales by Rayne Hall via my Kindle App free via Tomoson, but I'm going to give you my 100% honest opinion. I really enjoyed it. The horror is subtle, but just enough that after each tale
Debbie Christiana
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just in time for Halloween, Rayne Hall's Thirty Scary Tales is a perfect mix of dark, spooky and supernatural. I've read and enjoyed quite a bit of Rayne Hall's work and while these stories aren't `keep the lights on at night" scary (to me, but everyone is different) they are satisfyingly creepy and will keep you guessing until the twist at the end you never saw coming.

I enjoyed them all, but a few stood out for me. "Greywalker", a unique zombie story set in the Bronze Age, is one of the few sto
Carol March
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love short stories, and these did not disappoint. Although not particularly scary, they were all weird, strange, and thoroughly delightful in the slanted perspective they provided. Most were quite short and covered territory from ancient Greece (the fall of Troy from Cassandra’s perspective), in Prophetess, to the present day. Some, like Each Stone, A Life, could be classified as fantasy, while others, The Bridge Chamber, Seagulls, and Normal, Considering the Weather, border on horror. None is ...more
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Having read several of Rayne Hall's books before I thought I knew what I was getting, but I was wrong. This collection shows how masterful a story teller she is. In all honesty I enjoyed each one, some made me smile, some made me cringe and some got under my skin. As a bonus Rayne explained how each story was conceived, which only added to my enjoyment of the tales.

Three of my favourites :
Each Stone a Life : This tale took us back to the world of Storm Dance (a dark fantasy novel which I through
Autumn
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I received this book via Tomoson and author.

Now to me the stories weren't overall scary but they were a bit creepy. Out of all the scary tales I have to say I only had 2 favorites. The Bridge Chamber and Four Bony Hands.
The Bridge Chamber literally had my chest constricting being as it is a story of a couple of teenagers going in a tunnel but then there is no way out. Small space and with other people around not good for this girl right here. Now Four Bony Hands is a twist on the old Hansel and
« previous 1 3 next »

• And Hell Followed: An Anthology
  • Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth
  • The Great God Pan
  • Abandon
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • Quick Clicks: Word Usage - Style and Usage Tips for Busy Writers and Editors
  • The Picture Frame
  • The Lost Colony (The Long Winter, #3)
  • Be a Writing Machine: Write Faster and Smarter, Beat Writer's Block, and Be Prolific (Author Level Up Book 2)
  • The End is Always Near: Apocalyptic Moments, from the Bronze Age Collapse to Nuclear Near Misses
  • The Visitation
Rayne Hall writes fantasy and horror fiction, some of it quirky, most of it dark. She is the author of over sixty books in different genres and under different pen names, published by twelve publishers in six countries, translated into several languages. Her short stories have been published in magazines, e-zines and anthologies.

After living in Germany, China, Mongolia and Nepal, she has settled i