Start by marking “Towards Land, Work & Power: Charting a Path of Resistance to U.S.-Led Imperialism” as Want to Read:

After years of building a fighting organization of welfare recipients, domestic workers, shoe shiners, child care workers, security guards, unemployed workers and other no- and low-wage workers, the organizers and leaders of People Organized to Win Employment Rights (POWER) realized that we couldn't answer some basic questions: What is the nature of the world's political e ...more
Published January 30th 2006 by Unite to Fight Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Towards Land, Work & Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Towards Land, Work & Power

Jack Stephens
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fantastic read written by the community organizers of POWER (People Organizing to Win Employment Rights). It covers San Francisco's context within global capitalism and the expansion of US imperialism and how San Francisco is an "outpost" of US imperialism and globalized capital. Within this context the authors describe how these national and international conditions have interacted with the local politics and economy of the Bay Area elite and how its effected poor and working cla ...more
Marty
Apr 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
The first two sections of this book are a good summary of social tensions and working class struggle in the Bay Area. These sections are really a wonderful introduction to this history.

The later half of the book is not worth the paper its printed on. It advocates movement towards some vague, very maoist and ill-concieved worker's party.

So anyway read the first two or maybe three sections of the book especially if you're unfamiliar to the history of San Francisco Bay-Area and its struggles.
Ali
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: veteran organizers from the bay, folks familiar with STORM's poltical efforts,
It's been a while since I read the book. Although I'm not a fan of it, I still recommend it to Bay Area folks with radical politics just simply because it's a good conversation starter. The book gave me insight on some aspects of SF's political landscape. I should read it again however.
chelsea
Apr 02, 2008 rated it liked it
The best part was the (brief) section about the history of city planning/ gentrification in SF. I guess I just expected it to be more about that stuff and less about a vague analysis of the global economic system, which I read plenty of in school and am slightly annoyed by. Maybe it's just me.
Mariana
Feb 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is important because it shows the analysis of imperialism in one particular city, i.e. San Francisco. It may not be enough to be against prisons. I will think about being anti-imperialist.
Louisa
Apr 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a great document of the macro and micro work of Organizing. It has a real motiviating narrative to view the world as it is, so you can work towards the world as we would like it to be through grassroots community organizing!
cory
Oct 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
The most readable explanation of the dynamics of imperialism that I've ever read -- incredibly applicable to our experience in this "global city."
Owen
Mar 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
useful to give as a gift
Amy
May 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: folks in sf
Shelves: favorites
The title almost says it all, except that also, this book is written by the organization POWER in San Francisco, so they really know what they're talkin about.
cadelba
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Read. this. book.
Nat Smith
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
let's throw around the word worker and not actually define what a worker is.
let's spit up maoist doctrine, and then say we're not the vanguard but then say we are the only ones who are right.
Bran
Nov 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I learned so much about Imperialism and the U.S. Highly reccommend.
M
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Its smart. Accurate. Sophisticated. Accessible.
Ari