Start by marking “A Set Of Six” as Want to Read:
A Set Of Six

A Set Of Six (A Set of Six #1-6)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
JOSEPH CONRAD (1857-1924) was one of the most remarkable figures in English literature. Born in Poland, and originally named Josef Teodor Konrad Walecz Korzeniowski, he went to sea at the age of seventeen and eventually joined the crew of an English vessel, becoming a British citizen in the process. He retired from the sea in 1894 and took up the pen, writing all his works ...more
ebook, Adobe Digital Editions, 230 pages
Published November 2011 by ebookslib.com (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about A Set Of Six, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Set Of Six

Bryan
I enjoyed these stories more than I thought I would--Conrad (to me) has a reputation for being verbose and difficult to penetrate, but either he decided to be more concise with these stories, or I have more patience than I used to . Plus, I don't see these stories as having the same weight as some of his better known works, like Heart of Darkness, for example. Whether he succeeded or failed, with HoD, I thought Conrad was attempting to reveal something about humanity, and given that I felt he wa ...more
David
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
Available for free from the always-reliable Gutenberg Project. This version displayed well on my old-school Kindle. Also available free of charge from the University of Adelaide, archive.org, manybooks.net, free-ebooks.net, and the inevitable Google Books.

The longest story in this collect, “The Duel”, was the basis for the 1977 Ridley Scott movie ”The Duellists”, starring Harvey Keitel and David Carradine. I haven't seen this movie and I don't know if it is any good.

A very enjoyable set of short
Kit
Feb 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
six Conrad stories, some merely entertaining, some which should be but are so much more. "The Duel" reminded me of "Michael Koolhaas" in its intensity, focus, and sweep. "Gaspar Ruiz" is mostly fun. "Il Conde" and "An Anarchist" are terrific. Also cool - the yellowed library copy I read seems to have been published in 1918, and had been taken out twice before in the past 24 years.
Matthew
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joseph Conrad wrote the stories that make up his Set of Six during the most political phase of his literary career. It is true that political concerns can be found throughout his writing period, from the sceptical sideswipes at colonialism in his first book (Almayer’s Folly) to the hostile presentation of French revolutionaries in The Rover, his last book.

However politics was to take centre stage in this middle period of Conrad’s writing, and is the main concern of Nostromo, The Secret Agent an
Rosenkavalier
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Duellanti e altre storie conradiane

Volendo rileggere “I duellanti” (o meglio “The duel”) in inglese, ho scoperto che il racconto, dopo una prima pubblicazione in volume illustrato, era poi stato inserito in questa raccolta.
Ne ho approfittato per leggere tutti e sei i racconti e ne è valsa la pena. Pur essendo piuttosto diseguali, sono tutti interessanti.

Gaspar Ruiz è la storia di un contadino peruviano che, suo malgrado, diventa un capo guerrigliero durante la lotta per l’indipendenza dalla Spa
Rex
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conrad's writing is compelling, and these short stories are all great.

I read it specifically for The Duel, which was the source material for a movie that I enjoyed.

This was just as great as I expected, except on paper the happy ending aspect was a little more pronounced that on film, and I think for the worst.

Lucy
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This marks the end of my Conrad project. I'm glad I read the novels first and then the short stories - I don't think I'd have bothered with the longer works if I'd left them. Somehow his stories don't on the whole have the intensity of the full works - the writing is less dense and less layered. Worth reading for the completist, but these don't give the full flavour of the master.
Bill Tyne
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not his best effort (Chance is stll my favourite) but well worth reading for the tale of Gaspar Ruiz and the Duel.
Lysergius
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
A set of six excellent short stories by Joseph Conrad. I must confess to being unaware that he wrote such things. All of them are excellent although I especially enjoyed "The Duel" and "Il Conde".
Sera
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite stories in the book: Gaspar Ruiz, Il Conde and An Anarchist.
Matthew Smith
Sep 24, 2016
Kristopher
Apr 19, 2013
Jana
rated it did not like it
Jun 05, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Joseph Conrad (born Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski ) was a Polish-born English novelist who today is most famous for Heart of Darkness, his fictionalized account of Colonial Africa.

Conrad left his native Poland in his middle teens to avoid conscription into the Russian Army. He joined the French Merchant Marine and briefly employed himself as a wartime gunrunner. He then began to work aboard Br
More about Joseph Conrad...

A Set of Six (6 books)
  • Gaspar Ruiz
  • The Informer
  • The Brute
  • An Anarchist
  • El duelo

“A duel, whether regarded as a ceremony in the cult of honour, or even when reduced in its moral essence to a form of manly sport, demands a perfect singleness of intention, a homicidal austerity of mood. [The duel]” 6 likes
“It is a fact that the bitterest contradictions and the deadliest conflicts of the world are carried on in every individual breast capable of feeling and passion. [An anarchist]” 4 likes