Start by marking “The Haunted Hikikomori” as Want to Read:
The Haunted Hikikomori

The Haunted Hikikomori

Jared lives his life as a Hikikomori, locked away inside his apartment never to step foot outside again. His imaginary lover is his only companion. When the ghost of his dead girlfriend haunts him, Jared spirals out of control, with paranoia and fear creeping from every dark corner of his home and his mind.

The Haunted Hikikomori is a tense exploration of terror
Published August 8th 2013 by Juju Books (first published November 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Haunted Hikikomori, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haunted Hikikomori

Start your review of The Haunted Hikikomori
11811 (Eleven)
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
There was some great writing in this book but the story didn't flow very well. I'd check out this author again though. I have quite a few highlights in the story but as a whole it was a little choppy.
Damien Kelly
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was absolutely blown away by this book, it is genuinely beautifully written and utterly nerve shredding.

And the reason behind both those observations is the same: it's indulgent. In the very best way. Pearce has a distinct and engaging narrative voice, with a masterly turn of phrase to nearly every line and he has no intention of hiding his light under a bushel. His wit is arch, his metaphors rich and his instinct for when to cut a line dead borders on genius. But there's nothing h
Bandit
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Incredibly strange yet incredibly captivating story about love, loss and general social isolation. The first half of the story read as a fairly straight forward tale of a man in a self imposed seclusion (and thank you Lawrence Pearce for an awesome japanese term for it) who is haunted by the death of his love to the violent end and then midway through the author turns the story completely on its head and leaves the reader no longer sure who's doing the haunting and who's being haunted. The horro ...more
Eric
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Honestly, this may be the most chilling type of horror. It's not much in the way of blood and gore, not much in the way of scary bed time stories. It is an examination of the human condition, and the darkest most solitary part of same.

I don't like to give out a great deal about the plot of a book in review, since I feel surprises are best left for each individual reader. It is a work that is essentially split into two parts, one for each protagonist. The way in which Mr. Pearce blend
Karen
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody
I really do feel that Lawrence Pearce has written what could be deemed a classic book. His short stories have captivated me over the weeks since 'stumbling' across him on Twitter, this full length story builds on those beautiful shorties and so satisfies that need to know more about the characters he has so lovingly created.

A beautiful psychological thriller, I can't say too much as it would spoil the book for you.

I urge anyone who loves tense, clever, thought provoking w
Ryan
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Darcey
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I bought the book this morning with the full intention of taking my time to read this story and I have somehow ended up finishing it all, squeezing bits in at every opportunity in my busy day!

This is a story about a guy who loses the person he loves, and his psychological struggle to deal with the guilt he feels for the final words he said to her. She then returns a year later to haunt him as a ghost, and you're never quite sure if this is really happening, or if he has gone insane..
Philip Athans
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strange, creepy, and heartfelt--this is a terrific book!
Dave Higgins
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Skilfully interweaving the past and present, this novella shows a world where the reader is uncertain where reality ends and delusion begins.

The death of Jared’s girlfriend untethered him from normal society. Now he lives in their flat, never stepping outside, fulfilling both necessity and whim solely with internet shopping. But he does not live alone: seeming more than just imagination, both his dead girlfriend and her imaginary replacement follow him, providing comfort and threat.<
Kim
Aug 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Oh, how I wanted to give this book a higher rating. It truly made me sad that I couldn't justify one in the smallest degree. The story is so intriguing and compelling that it did keep me turning the pages. Not only do we, the readers, see the aftermath of a tragic event but we're witnesses to several events that we can do nothing to change. At certain points in the story, we know more than the characters. I found myself wanting to direct the characters away from areas or to do different things i ...more
Megan
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Going into Hikikomori, I expected nothing less than the emotionally charged narrative through which all of Lawrence's short stories are told. I ended up getting a lot more than that this time round. The pain both of the main characters are suffering hits you hard.
Jared's story affected me the most. His madness engulfed the story, so much so that it soon leaked off the pages and into my own head. I had to stop reading a few times during the first half of the book purely because I could feel an a
Panagiotis Kafkarkou
I am usually a slow reader. But i read this in one go. Lawrence Pearce has his way with words and blends the twisted plot with the tender side of a disturbed character.

The characters are growing and developing through the story and the more you read, the more you find yourself caring. The symbolism of hikikomori, a man who isolates himself from the outside world, is a shocking view from the inside of the most serious problem of modern society: loneliness.

You cannot catego
Helen White
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I also came to Lawrence Pearce via Twitter, and so to Hikkikomori. The book was intense reading, I had to take a break in the middle to process my emotions, but the fact that it could affect me in such a visceral manner means that it is an excellently crafted, elegant and powerful piece of work. In some ways the book is like a kaleidoscope, you twist your perspective a bit and the whole meaning of the story can shift. The book will leave you confused and wondering what is real and what is imagin ...more
Katsa
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am generally not a fan of the horror genre but I figured that I should still give this book a try due to raving reviews. I ended up really loving this novel.

Despite the strong paranormal elements, the main theme in this story is actually incessant, latent dread brought about by alienation. Alienation from loved ones and society. Which is great because my distaste with Western horror is that it relies too much on cheap scare tactics and the shock factor.

Anyway, this book
Maryam Saif
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read.. Lawrence Pearce has the ability to rouse feelings of despair you didn’t know existed within you. A sinister novel that will take the reader into an unfamiliar zone and have you question your own mentality. Have a look at my detailed review : http://maryamsaif.wordpress.com/2012/...
Mercedes Yardley
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a strange and beautiful book. It's basically two interconnected novellas one after another. Exploring the themes of obsession and broken love, it was beautifully written and just a pleasure to savor. I'm glad I stumbled upon this ghostly, poetic little gem.
James Hemingway
Nov 19, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Not too far into it yet. If I finished it now I would give it one star because it's boring and I don't care for all the humorless self pity but since the reviews are good I'll push myself further along.
Donnell
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Haunting, suspenseful, chilling, romantic at times.
Gregory
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Besides the need to be edited, the story was pretty fucking sad and well written.
Joan
Steven Luna
Feb 26, 2012
Anna Moore
Jan 17, 2014
I write messed-up romance short story collections, psycho-ghost novels and movie screenplays for producers in Hollywood. I have lots I want to write about and even more that I want to read about. Books are wonderful.

My twitter is @lawrencepearce