Start by marking “40” as Want to Read:

‘Forty is a fine age, a young, strong powerful, prime-of-life age, a frisky age, a coming-to-maturity age when all things are possible. But beware, it is also an apocalyptic number, a number full of climactic warnings' - Margaret Drabble.

40 is a truly meaningful and fascinating number. For example, the number forty is used in Jewish, Christian, Islamic, and other Middle Ea
Published 2013 by Canongate

To ask other readers questions about 40, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 40

Leonie
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting but unremarkable collection of snippets and snappets from Canongate authors in celebration of Canongate's 40th birthday. All of my five stars are for one contribution, which I've included in my review below:

How to Lose Your Self in Forty Weeks

Over the course of forty weeks, you will begin to feel it all falling away from you, all your selves: the only child; the sad reading teenager; the young woman who fell into love many times in a day; pyjamas to school; hair short, th
Librariasaurus
So I'm adding all the books onto my shelves that I've had sitting in the kindle app since before I realised Amazon was basically satan.

This 40th anniversary collection from Canongate books is a quirky little collection of mixed media that I really enjoyed reading and had pretty quality writing in it. I'm kind of annoyed at myself for leaving it sitting for so long.
Sidra
Oct 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Interesting read. Wonderful whimsical snippets of authors.
Julie  Webb
Thought provoking, quick

Easy read that meanders from poetry to a cake recipe, short story's to first lines of books. The theme of forty. Forty years, days, weeks, and birthdays.
Chrystyna
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
40 by Various Authors - some better than others.

Oh dear, I can't remember much about this now.

This was a kindle freebie: 40 short stories, on the subject of 40, by 40 Canongate authors to celebrate the publisher's...er... 40th anniversary. They took various forms and dealt with the number in some interesting and amusing ways.

Another book that I used to keep me entertained whilst queing during the Festival.
Ape
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute little book produced in celebration of Canongate's 40 birthday. Little page-length stories, ponderings, pictures, lists and other wonderful randomness by some of the authors they've published. They publish some of my favourite writers, such as Scarlett Thomas and Yann Martel so this was right up my street.
Seawood
So-so compilation of stories/flash/random snippets celebrating Canonngate Press' 40th birthday. I got it primarily for the Patrick Ness contribution.
Judy Hanover