Start by marking “Isle of Larus” as Want to Read:
Isle of Larus

Isle of Larus

The four guardians of the Isle of Larus have been enjoying quiet and comfortable lives, with nothing more than the occasional shipwreck to trouble them – but all that is about to change.
The Spirit of the Sea decides to send a series of alarming events to test and teach them, as well as providing himself with hours of entertainment at their expense. For the first test, how
Published July 26th 2013 by Crooked Cat Publishing (first published July 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Isle of Larus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isle of Larus

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Do you know that feeling when it's raining outside and you curl up with some tea and read? The day is gloomy and silent, there's no one else at home, but you like it that way. You don't need good weather to read. On the contrary, seeing it rain outside and sitting snuggled up with tea and a book makes you feel even more protected and relaxed.

Well, this is that kind of book. At least that's what it felt like for me.

The book starts out with a quaint island full of people who are seemingly normal p
Maggie
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think the Isle of Larus is in a class (& world) of its own! This mystic isle exists in a parallel universe that occasionally peeks into the world we know. More or less self sufficient, the island is cared for by four Guardians. Their world has existed happily for many years until a visiting trader throws the island into chaos..

I loved the quirky characters and the wonderful sense of mayhem the author creates. A lovely read!
Natasha du Plessis
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the first Kathy Sharp book that I have read. The Isle of Larus is an island that exists in a parallel universe to us with at times a glimpse to Larus from our universe and when this happen they can also us. I loved the idea of the guardians and the innocence of the people on the island.
Their only problem it that they never learn from their mistakes :).
This was a very lighthearted read with some fantasy elements. This was not my typical fantasy read but still enjoyable.

Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved The Isle of Larus - it took me right out of my own world and planted me firmly in this wonderful place of innocence, miracles, bar room brawls and gentle humour. Such is Kathy Sharp's skill, it was like having a story read to me. A fantasy world, but one to which the reader can relate. Highly recommended.
I'm looking forward to reading the second in the series, Sea of Clouds.
Kathy Morgan
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first of Kathy's books I have read, and I loved it so hope to read others soon.
Fantasy is not my favourite genre, but I have a feeling Kathy could convert me fairly easily - I couldn't put this book down!
My copy is currently out with a member of my local reading group.
John New
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent first novel. Dorset writer Kathy Sharp uses her knowledge of a coastal community to great effect. Myth, magic and community spirit working together, waiting expectantly for book 2 in the series. Definitely recommended.
Roland Clarke
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Initial thoughts as I've just finished - there is an Isle of Larus and I want to go back on the next shiny ship. Kathy Sharp has her own quirky style but I was still reminded of the Hitchhiker's series and of Terry Pratchett as I chuckled my way through.
Nik Morton
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a delightful fantasy about the Isle of Larus that has four guardians who seem incapable of protecting it when strange things begin to happen. Silver ships appear and disappear. Visitors from the island of Arjento Rock prove troublesome. A seagoing trader attempts to steal innocence and, at the drop of a hat, pocket silver for himself.

The four guardians are Rissa, who forecasts the weather; blind Rufus who communes with the sea (‘People had been wondering quietly for quite a while if all
J.L.
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"He was an offcomer." What a wonderful explicit word, and I'm already in love with Rufus, the blind old man who communes with the sea and attracts attention and offerings away from the Rev's true Spirit in the Sky. Then there is Rissa who forecasts the weather in a most unconventional way, and Castello, Captain of Artillery, not the sea.
So we have them, the four guardians of this island, which has a habit of disappearing. We are treated to their several antics in an endearing, light hearted mann
Daycoder
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: The author is my wife's aunt. As such, I've put off reading this book for quite some time. All the while I resisted peeking inside the box, I could explain that I'd not read it. If I did read it, though, and it was not good, I'd probably say the wrong thing.

Fortunately, my fears were unfounded. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and, once my nose was in, forgot that it was my aunt-in-law's work.

What we've got here is fabula rather than full on fantasy. It's proper storytelling with a fair few
Swordfish
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a really lovely read. The Isle of Larus has 4 guardians who look after the island and the story tells of a place where life is quite innocent and in some ways old-fashioned. This book is gently humorous and full of engaging and endearing characters. To be honest, I'm glad the Isle of Larus is fictional, as I'd be quite tempted to pack my bags and move there..!
Nina Little
Aug 24, 2013
Kathy Sharp
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Yvonne Marjot
Judi Moore
Oct 05, 2016
Sam Roberts
Mar 27, 2019
Kathy Sharp lives by the sea in Weymouth, Dorset. She is a prolific writer of short fiction, and song lyrics for local choir Island Voices, and is the author of the Larus Series of novels, inspired by the dramatic scenery of the Jurassic Coast. Whales and Strange Stars is the first book in her new Wych Ferry Series.
Kathy says: "When I first began writing fiction, I asked myself what exactly it was