Start by marking “Spellbound and Determined” as Want to Read:
Spellbound and Determined

Spellbound and Determined

Welcome to Mimi's Charms & Enchantments - a New Age shop filled with magical merchandise and colorful customers. Cam couldn't ask for a better afterschool job.

When a shady man in gray slinks in one afternoon, Cam is this close to calling 911. To her relief, he hurries away, leaving behind the nauseating odor of his cologne and a curious spell he's dropped on the floor.
Published July 25th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published March 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Spellbound and Determined, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spellbound and Determined

↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
★★★★Spellbound and Determined by Dax Varley

I won this R2R through LibraryThing Members Giveaway in exchange for my honest review.

Come in for a spell. This is a cute book.

Cam has the perfect job. She works at Mimi's Charms and Enchantments. She works with Mimi. They are both very colorful characters, most of the time, literally.

When a stranger drops a spell as he hurries out of the store, she learns some very useful information. The spell is very old and it is for Power Supreme. This is just w
Shawna The Crazy Bookseller
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a really cute story and I felt the teens in it acted like teens do. Example - calling your friend a butt smurf. I had some laughs reading the interactions of the main character and her grandmother.

My only problem was the ending. It just ended shortly and felt rushed. Also it left me with many questions. My rating will change if I know there is a second book coming out.

--Revision 10/13/13--

After talking to the author at a book signing I had set up I found out that there is going to be a
Jaymi
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, ebooks
Disclaimer: I received an eARC from netgalley.com.

Spellbound and Determined is a quick but fun and quirky read. The book tells the tale of high-schooler Cam and her friend Reade as they attempt to gain love and maintain their GPA with spell work. Cam works in her grandma's New Age store peddling spell components and tarot cards. Reade is a lovesick girl who would do anything to get the handsome Troy's attention. When Cam is given a spell guaranteeing "power supreme" she'll do anything to cast th
Joan Watson Watson
Spellbound and Determined Dax Varley I was gifted this book

What better after school job could a girl have? Cam works in her grandmother’s magic shop. She’s a person who “can nap and still make A’s.” When a scary stranger asks her if she believes in magic, she is mystified. When she sees him on occasions later, she becomes suspicious.

Cam comes to realize that all the oils, tarot cards, and lucky rabbits’ feet of the shop don’t hold a candle, even a magic candle, to the potions Grandmother, Mimi,
Cocktails and Books
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Immediately I did not connect with the main character or plot. The language, behavior didn't ring true and felt like what the author thought someone in high school would say or how they would act.

Cam has the potential to be very sympathetic. However, the supporting characters steal the show, especially, Reade, the best friend. She is interesting and funny. Unfortunately, the book centers on Cam. When reading I never got lost in this story. Instead it felt like I was being told the story and Cam
Greta
Sep 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Brief Summary: Cam runs her grandma's magic shop. A creepy man enters the shop and leaves a spell for "power supreme." Cam and her friends hunt for the ingredients to complete the spell, and allude the creepy dude. Along the way Cam realizes how awesome Zach is.

*Thank you to Netgalley, the author, and the publishers for a copy of this book in exchange for a fair review.

Review: This was a very light, young YA, paranormal story. The story moves quickly, and there were times I giggled (especially
Teresa
4 stars

Got this as an e-arc from Netgalley for an honest review.

I was surprised by how funny this book is, I actually laughed out loud more then once. The three main characters, Cam (Cameron), Reade, and Zach are engaging, fairly interesting and genuinely likeable. The plot is entertaining and while it does fall prey to some of the standard YA cliche's it avoids most of the more annoying ones. (No love triangles, no instant-love and the bad boy (jerk) does not get the girl).

I found only a fe
Jo Anne
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
The author, Dax Varley, has created a witty and fun, teen adventure that includes plenty of ingenuity, suspense and excitement.

Cam’s a smart girl, except when it comes to Julius Caesar, which she just doesn’t get. She works at her gran’s metaphysical shop, Mimi’s Charms & Enchantments, where you can “Come in for a Spell.”

When a strange (and scary) guy does come in, then drops an old parchment on the way out of the store, Cam realizes it’s a recipe for “Power Supreme.” Perfect thing to help h
Dana
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is a very cute, fun, lighthearted YA paranormal romance. After a strange man comes into Cam's grandmother Mimi's new age magic shop, she finds that he has dropped an ancient spell for power supreme. Deciding that power supreme would help her high school GPA, Cam enlists the help of her best friend, Reade, and Zach, the smartest boy in school to find the bizarre ingredients needed for the spell. As Reade pursues wacky ways to get the new boy Troy to fall in love with her and magic shop custo ...more
Ceecee
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Working in a New Age shop has its perks!

Cam's life takes an exciting turn when an unsettling customer drops an ancient spell on the floor while exiting the store.

Although finding the items she needs to work the spell requires the help of her best friend, Reade, and her newest friend, Zach, she's more than happy to share the rewards. With a little teamwork, ingenuity, and patience they work their way down the list.

Mischief, romance, and comedy follow the trio as they embark on an adventure to fin
Ceecee
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Working in a New Age shop has its perks!

Jaylia3
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Cam is minding her grandmother’s New Age magic shop, a suspicious looking man accidentally drops an ancient spell for Power Supreme on the floor. Well, who could resist that? Not Cam and her boy-crazy best friend Reade. With the help of the ever accommodating Zack, their high school’s resident nerd genius, they embark on a merry mission to collect all the obscure, sometimes gross, ingredients the spell requires.

Snappy dialogue, likable characters, light suspense, a touch of romance, and a
Shilo Quetchenbach
* disclaimer: I received a free copy of this ebook from member giveaways on librarything*

I really liked this book. I love YA sci fi/fantasy in general. This one was better than many I've checked out of my library recently. The characters were great. Mimi is fantastic. And her hair! Oh, I love her hair.

A solid start happily didn't let me down - this book was a solid 4 stars all the way through. the main character is funny and snarky. her friend reade is a fantastic bubbly airhead foil. zach is a
Angela Oliver
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, young-adult
I really enjoyed this fun, quick read. It is a "Scavenger hunt" style story with an entertaining plot; a quick-thinking, witty protagonist; a cute geeky boy; a somewhat crazed best friend and an adorable ferret. Whilst quite a lot of time was spent on High School Hi-jinks (specifically in relation to best friend Reade's foolish crush on the temperamental, and not particularly smart, Troy), the exploits that these three must undertake to collect the ingredients for their magic spell are rather fu ...more
K.C. Sprayberry
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cam Harper is a great student, but she's have problems with Julius Cesar. She's also deeply into New Age. With friends, Reade and Zach, Cam decides to go after Power Supreme, a spell that promises a lot, but also demands that they collect some unusual things under strange conditions. On top of all this, the mysterious Gray Guy keeps creeping her out.
Dax Varley has a great paced novel. The reader is hooked from the beginning, unable to stop turning the pages to discover if these teens will reach
Olivia (Bookcomet)
Witty, fun and cute, this was definitely a spellbinding read.

There was a lot of wit behind the words, whether it was in the speech of characters or just in the thoughts of the ever-cute Cameron.

Speaking of characters, Cammie was adorable. She was loyal and determined to help her friend, no matter the consequences. Or what she has to do to get there. And just as adorable and determined was her friend to win the guy of her dream's heart. And let's not forget the adorable-ness and determination of
Henry Lazarus
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Dax Warley has a silly tale about a teenage girl who works in her grandmother’s magic shop, Mimi's Charms & Enchantments and believes in magic because she has seen Mimi do minor magical healing. So when a shady customer drops a paper with a magical spell for power on the floor, she is Spellbound and Determined( ebook from eXcessica Publishing) to find the exotic ingredients which include grave dirt, leaches, and a three-legged animal. She is helped by her boy-crazy friend Reade and a nerd fr ...more
Melissa
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-challenge
What would you do if a mysterious spell for Power Supreme fell into your lap, while you were working in your grandmother's magic shop? Well Cam doesn't hesitate to get together with her best friend and a boy from school to obtain the ingredients and earn Power Supreme.

I love this story and the characters, who felt like old friends. It is definitely a YA book, with its teenage dramas, but it is told in a way that even older people would love. I hope there is a second book to the series as the end
Karen
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librarything

Cam is a teenager working at her grandmother's magic store when suddenly a mysterious man drops a curious,ancient spell, which can promise her success,what will she do?

I loved that book!!
It had everything loveable-adventure,a sweet boy,a crush,love potion and it was hilarious,and although all those stuff sound like about any other young adult book it was a unique,amazing read,which I enjoyed every second of.
If you are looking for a funny,adventure book this is definitely the book for you!

Amanda Still
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Not your average hocus pocus" is right. The Power Supreme chose Cam; she didn't choose the spell, but she and her friends (redheaded, strong-willed Reade and delightfully nerdy Zach) set out on a quest to fulfill all the magical components. Hopefully, she'll still have time to get her English lit homework done. Their fast and funny adventures are sometimes messy and always interesting. This is a charming book that I couldn't put down until I found out if the Power Supreme was all that or just a ...more
JENNIFER
This is yet another really Goodread. This book is super funny and mysterious. I can't stand telling people what happens in a book but... there are some really cool kids that are searching for some ingredients to a spell and have a really fun funny time doing so with all that teenage drama about boys and school drama. This book is a page turner and was so interesting that I couldn't stop reading and didn't want to stop. BTW, Mimi is a hot funny mess too!
Diana
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love this book, great YA book. Loved the mystery around it and the way everyone interacted through out the book.
The story is about Cam and her friends, Cam is in high school, and works in her Grandmothers Metaphysical store. The adventure is great to follow and I really enjoyed reading the book.

I won this book through Goodreads.com First Reads Giveaway.
Marymichele
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book from a first reads giveaway.

When I first started reading this book, I thought it might be a little young for me. But the farther I got in it, the more I enjoyed it! I found myself laughing at several points throughout the book, and appreciated the author's little afterthought jokes.

Thanks Dax Varley for the opportunity to read this book!
Ann
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book for preteen and young teenage girls. Light story about a spell shop and 3 teens who collect the ingredients for a spell for supreme power. A light love interest, an evil man and a grandma who thinks she is a witch. Good story.
tierra spearman
Nancy A Cavanaugh
Jun 17, 2013
Addicted to YA: Spellbound and Determined - Free 1 17 Jul 07, 2013 07:31PM

• Lola Goes to Work: A Nine-to-Five Therapy Dog
  • Blood Alley (The Highwayman #1)
  • Win the Rings (The Cracked Chronicles #1)
  • I'll Be Damned (Anna Wolfe #1)
  • You Don't Know Me Like That
  • The Outmate
  • Time Spell (Ivy Grace Spell, #1)
  • Sparked
  • Screenshot
  • Sacrifices (Shadow Grail, #3)
  • HeavenWord Daily
  • Saving Rain (Rain Trilogy, #1)
  • Lessons Learned (The Gifted Realm, #2)
  • Leave Her Hanging
  • Stone Song (Cold Iron, #3)
  • Graced Filled Marriage: The Missing Piece, The Place to Start
  • Tainted Blood (Hell's Belle, #2)
  • Vampire Soul: A Heartblaze Novel (Emma's Saga #1)
Dax Varley is the author of SLEEPY HOLLOW, RETURN TO SLEEPY HOLLOW, BLEED, and NIGHTMARE HOUSE. She loves humor, horror and all things paranormal.

When Dax isn't writing, she's collecting odd photos online, reading recaps of her favorite shows, or kicked back with a good book. She lives in Richmond, Texas with her husband, a shelf full of action figures, and about a dozen imaginary friends.