Start by marking “Hanging by the Moment” as Want to Read:
Hanging by the Moment

Hanging by the Moment

Pasha Batalov has lived his whole life doing what a good son is expected to do. He dropped out of school to help run the failing family restaurant, and ever since he’s put up with his difficult business partner, who also happens to be his father. And, of course, he keeps his sexual orientation a secret from his conservative Russian family. After being closeted costs him ...more
Published September 6th 2013 by Dreamspinner Press (first published September 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Hanging by the Moment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hanging by the Moment

Start your review of Hanging by the Moment
Mandy*reads obsessively*

4.25*

The blurb for this story intrigued me, I was a little worried it would be a sad or depressing read, and in parts it was, but it was also so much more.
But I'm really glad I gave it a go.
For those afraid that it won't end well, rest assured it does.

This story is told from Pasha's POV and especially in the beginning I found that difficult.
Pasha is in a bad place in his life. He is unhappy with how he looks, he is unhappy with his weight, he misses his mother, he has a difficult relationship
Gina
OMG OMG OMG I NEED A TISSUE!

This is one of those stories that just grabbed a hold of my heart and squeezed. I mean seriously so many difficult issues, but it was moving. Inspirational, captivating and it brought so many emotions out of me. I LOVED IT!! I honestly felt like I was there with Pasha and Daniel and all of their friends.

Pasha is working at his family diner with his overbearing conservative Russian father. I gotta be honest here, i didn’t much care for his dad in the beginning….but
H.B. Pattskyn
Aug 12, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
When I first saw that Hanging by the Moment had been tagged as "coming of age" by Dreamspinner, I balked (I actually came *this close* to sending an email to ask "why?" and "could we please change that??") because Pasha is 24, for crying out loud...but I was about half way through the galley proof (the final look-see to try and get the last of the typos extra/missing punctuations, anything that's been missed in edits) and I figured I'd deal with it when I had more of a brain.

And what I
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This review can be found at The Blog of Sid Love.

I first got acquainted with H.B. Pattskyn’s books when I read Heart's Home in early 2012. I loved that book and thought the writing was phenomenal. When I noticed Hanging by the Moment, I knew immediately I wanted to read it not just because I enjoy Ms. Pattskyn’s writing but also because the blurb intrigued me.

I’m ecstatic to say that I loved this book just as much as I loved Heart’s Home. The writing was just as great, so much so that I was
Kaje Harper
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Pasha Batalov came to the US with his parents when he was five. All his life, he's worked in the family restaurant with his father. He's been the good son, the one who stayed as his older brother went off to college, as his sister married a no-good husband, as his mother succumbed to Alzheimer's. He's been the one helping his father work day and night to keep things going. But he has done it at a cost - the cost of hiding an important part of himself from his homophobic family. He lost his only ...more
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
4.5 Stars
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

This is a beautiful story in which the characters of Pasha and Daniel – who in so many ways are held prisoner by their fears – discover the fortitude, conviction and love to vanquish them.

Natalie
Slow and frustrating. The emphasis on family drama and the relentless homophobia made for a less than enjoyable reading experience. I'm disappointed that the main characters had so little on-page time together. It didn't feel like a romance.
Heidi Cullinan
Sep 23, 2013 added it
Shelves: gayrom
What really did it for me in this one was the dad. How he came around touched me and made me mushy.

The whole "save the diner" thing was a good time too, that feeling of underdog and recovery. Feel good book. Reminded me of Eden Winter's Angel of 13th Street without the rent boys.
Christy
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, arc, on-my-kindle
H.B. Pattskyn is still a relatively new author, to me, as this is only the second book of hers that I have read. I was completely blown away by the writing and the story in the other book that I read, so I had super high hopes for 'Hanging by the Moment'. I was not disappointed. I was a little apprehensive after I read the description, because, to be honest, I didn't want to be sad reading this and I really wanted a happy ever after, but with the threat of AIDS looming I had my worries. I can ...more
Monika
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Review posted on World of Diversity Fiction Reviews

This is my first time reading anything for this author and I definitely will be looking to read more from her. I was a bit apprehensive about reading Hanging by the Moment, I knew the subject matter was going to be a tough one but H.B. Pattskyn did such a beautiful job handling it, I’m in awwe. This book is about finding love but when you find it it’s not exactly what you planned on. Learning that the man you think is ‘the one” has HIV is
Tatiana
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
This book was a pleasant surprise. I was expecting it to be a heavy read and, sure, it's not fluffy - there is a lot of focus on Pasha's family drama and Daniel's HIV status - but it's not depressing either.

These characters felt real and alive to me, and I was captivated by their tender and endearing romance. Pasha's father turned out to be such an amazing character - so gruff and stubborn yet inside, he's one big teddy bear.

My only niggles would be that the story was a bit slow-moving, low on
Susinok
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the best I've read so far this year. It was difficult at first because Pasha was so downtrodden and controlled by his family. That all began to change, slowly, when Daniel comes along, and Pasha slowly gains confidence.

This is a longer and complex book and really worth every word. I loved it.
Becky Condit
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Please leave comments on Pattycake's 4 1/2 sweet pea review at http://mrsconditreadsbooks.com/index....

“I am freaked out.” Pasha hated to admit it. Daniel- “I know. But the hardest part of all this isn’t being rejected because i have HIV. I know that scares people. But the hardest part is when someone says they’re going to be around and then they start cancelling dates and ducking my calls.”

Pasha Batalov hates his life. Between his family leaving him to deal with his father and their failing
GayListBookReviews
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book that makes me want to be able to write the most amazing review, ever.

I felt drawn to Pash from the start, his unique ways, his family, his secrets, his fears. Everything was there, and he felt so human, not fictional at all. I fell in love with him from the very beginning, not in the dreamy sigh kind of love, but the real kind, the one that shows when you can relate to a character so easily.

Pasha’s story is one filled with family responsibilities and mandates. He must do

Connie
I am really glad that this book was recommended to me. This book was originally written in Russian, so there are editing issues, but the author wanted a truer translation so the way it sounds in English may not be grammatically correct, but it fits. :) This is not a story full of action or over the top drama, but there are scenes that pull on your heart strings because we all know or have heard of people who are "in the closet" so to speak because of the fear of being alone, cut off from those ...more
Shelby P
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, disability
I heard about this book from the "Best Book I've Read This Week" thread in the M/M Group and I've seen all the 5 star ratings but this wasn't quite up there for me. I think sometimes the blurb gives away too much of the story. I think it would have been more impactful as a reader if we found out Daniel was HIV positive at the same time Pasha did.

Speaking of Pasha. That first sex scene he had with Brett in the bathroom just upset me so much. I don't have any gay friends (that I know of) but it
Meggie
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, family, drama
I'm once again, positively impressed by H.B. Pattskyn work!!!
This is an amazingly well written novel about the true meaning of devotion toward the family, serious side topic about HIV and a fine written romance between Pasha and Daniel. Personally, this is emotionally well balanced story, too. I loved the father/son relationship. I have to admit, Pasha's father was hard character to like, at least at the start, but his change through the story was beautiful written. Sure, I disliked how he
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I loved the story here - it was slow build, both men having significant issues but being able (mostly) to talk. It wasn’t always easy. HIV and being in the closet with major family issues are not small hurdles to overcome but the way they supported each other, their friends...and the Dad was welcomed. It felt more real than usual because the resolution wasn’t neat and clean and easy. The 4 stars is because I thought they were great friends - but the chemistry was lacking for romance and sizzle. ...more
multitaskingmomma
Original Blog Post: http://headouttheoven.blogspot.com/20...

This was just lovely.

It is my first time reading H.B. Pattskyn and honestly had no idea what to expect. From the blurb, I would suspect a plot with so much drama going on had the potential to get over-dramatic. I read it and found that it did have the usual drama, but there was also a lot of learning on my part and I surprisingly found it to be a light read despite the topic involved.

HIV is a subject not all readers would enjoy to read,
Dianne
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I absolutely loved this extremely well written book, and in turn, the characters of Pasha and Daniel. “Realistic” is the word that comes to mind for describing it in a nutshell. The story arc, the settings, the characters, the uncertainties, the family dynamics – all are very realistic......

Please
Birte
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, xx
If I should say in one word what I think of this book it would be "realistic". Followed by words like "my new favorite", "wonderful" and other descriptions that made me give out 5 stars. Still, realistic is the major word here: the MC are normal people with normal problems and an in general normal life. And that's really nice for a change, because this way it feels like you could really meet them one day. Pasha and Daniel are totally likeable characters, they make an absolutely adorable couple ...more
CB
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: misc-book
A very intriguing story about how certain decisions can and will affect the rest of your life and change you in unexpected ways, and how you do not always know how others will react so you should not live your life based on what others might or might not think or do.

I just fell in love with the MC's. They seemed so realistic, down-to-earth, sexy and admirable.

It was a story about HIV too, which is not always easy but the author does it in a way that shows how the disease is manageable and the
Connie
“Tell me how you like to be kissed.”
“Slow. Soft. Gentle.”

Read the full Review on GayListBookReviews
Kristy Maitz
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Its very emotional story plot. A lot of problems are being thrown toward readers while reading story of Pasha and Daniel.

I had really great time reading that book. What I did miss true the story is Daniels family. We did not meet them and did not get to know them.

Page Crusherz
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
LOVED it. Didn't want to put it down
Gwendolyn
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hiv
I was disgusted at the spineless Pasha we saw in the first 100ish pages. I almost gave up on the book. Glad I didn't. The last half of the book is 5 stars and was very heartwarming.
Stephanie
Fucking loved it
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LOVE LOVE LOVED!!!

This was a great read... Just loved and enjoyed this Story so Much!!!

Valerie
Nov 01, 2013 rated it liked it

• Honeymoon for One
  • The Chimes
  • Prince of Air and Darkness (The Darkest Court, #1)
Helen Barbara Pattskyn lives with her husband and children (both human and four footed) in a quiet suburb of Detroit, MI. She is working on becoming a full-time writer as well as doing volunteer work and still trying to find time to putter in her garden, watch the stars, and paint.

Helen describes herself as a storyteller, a science fiction geek, and a bookworm; as introverted, but not shy. Her
“Good books are like old friends. Sometimes you have to check back in on them, see how they're doing, even if you know nothing's really changed.” 1 likes