Start by marking “My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece” as Want to Read:
My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece

My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  10,946 Ratings  ·  1,440 Reviews
Ten-year-old Jamie Matthews has just moved to the Lake District with his Dad and his teenage sister, Jasmine for a 'Fresh New Start'. Five years ago his sister's twin, Rose, was blown up by a terrorist bomb. His parents are wrecked by their grief, Jasmine turns to piercing, pink hair and stops eating. The family falls apart. But Jamie hasn't cried in all that time.

To him
Published July 1st 2013 by Indigo (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece, please sign up.
Sarah I've been set the same homework! Part of a project on the book. I realise this is a little late, but my plan was to draw a mantlepiece with the ash…moreI've been set the same homework! Part of a project on the book. I realise this is a little late, but my plan was to draw a mantlepiece with the ash jar in the middle and a Jamie Doll and Sunya Doll slumped on either side.(less)
Elfie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Nafiza
I’ve been sitting here for a bit trying to collect my thoughts enough that I can write the kind of coherent review this book deserves. There are so many things I want to speak about and discuss but at the same time, I wonder if it wouldn’t be more appropriate to just ask you to please read this book. It might be the best one you read this year.

The novel has the same poignant flavor as Tabitha Suzuma’s Forbidden. The same sort of intricate family politics and themes of self-discovery and friendsh
Maggie
My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece takes place five years after bombs went off in London killing 62 people. The story follows the aftermath of the family of the youngest victim, Rose, from the perspective of her now 10-year-old brother, Jamie. Jamie's parents, unable to deal with the blame and guilt they place on one another, have finally split up. Jamie and Jas, Rose's twin, move with their father out into the country. One benefit, according to their father, is to get away from Muslims. After a ...more
Darlene
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I listened to the audio version of this book by Annabel Pitcher and it was narrated by David Tennant.

When we meet ten-year-old Jamie Matthews, he is living in London with his family... his mother, father and fifteen year old sister, Jas... oh yeah, and his other sister, Rose.... Rose lives in an urn on the mantelpiece. What we first notice about Jamie is that he is a sweet, average 10 year old boy... he loves his big orange cat, Roger; he loves super heroes and especially loves Spider Man and he
Liz Janet
“My sister Rose lives on the mantelpiece.
Well, some of her does.
A collarbone, two ribs, a bit of skull, and a little toe.”

This story follows ten-year-old Jamie, after one of his sisters died during a terrorist bombing, and the effects this has had within his family. His mother and father are separated, mother has found another lover, father has become a fervent Islamophobe, and his other sister Jas, lives in the shadow of Rose, the one that died. But Jamie meets a girl, a Muslim girl named Suny
MA®IBEL
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me ha gustado mucho. Me ha hecho reír, llorar y pensar. Lo termino con un nudo en en el pecho y con una tímida sonrisa. Uno de los libros que más me ha llegado este año, sin duda. ❤❤
Sesana
You would expect a book written about a family who lost a child in a terrorist attack would be a tearjerker, possibly to the point of being manipulative. It's what I expected. But that isn't what Pitcher was writing about. In some ways, it's the exact opposite. Pitcher isn't writing about the rawness of new grief. This isn't about Jamie's grief over losing his sister, because he doesn't really feel grief. He doesn't remember her, never really knew her, and only misses her because of the hole her ...more
Lynda
Wow! I laughed, I cried (dammit!). What a wonderful book. I can not believe it is a debut novel. The writing is fantastic.

The book is narrated by Jamie, a 10 year old, and the narration feels very "real", like he is simply sitting across from you telling you his story, with such innocence. And his story deals with some heavy topics; terrorism, racism, alcoholism, bullying and the deterioration of the family unit.

This is an author worth following. I'm hooked. Next book please!
Lisa
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was almost finished writing a review for this when I pressed a button that made it all disappear. SO now I'm mad.

So now I'm writing a simplified version.

This book snuck up on me. I didn't know if I'd like this book because it's told from a ten-year-old boy's perspective. But at the end, I was emotional and trying not to cry(I did succeed but it was tough for me).

The last quarter of the book was written so well and was HEARTBREAKING. Something happened that ripped my heart out and made Jamie(th
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
A really easy, quick and enjoyable read. The title of this book is what attracted me to it - It sounds really intriguing and it gave me high expectations. The premise of the book was fantastic. The book actually deals with quite a few issues (racism, alcohol abuse, grief, family break-ups) through they weren't all so obvious. I found it a little difficult to get into the childish nature of the writing (The narrator is 10 year old Jamie), but after I got more used to it, I found it quite charming ...more
Melindaaaa
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Atmosférou mi to připomínalo mého milého (Ne)obyčejného kluka. Hrozně kouzelný, závažný, silný, důležitý a skvěle zpracovaný. Oproti Kečupovým mračnům neskutečnej posun, kam se na tohle hrabou. Neoplakala jsem to, ale dovedu si představit, že to někoho může pekelně potrápit a dojmout. Překvápko roku ♥ Nevím, proč jsem tak dlouho váhala s přečtením.
95 %
Siv30
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adults
"אמא שיקרה שוב. היא אמרה שעם ציונים טובים אפשר להשיג כל מה שרוצים. אבל מה שרציתי
היה שהיא תהיה בערב הורים, והיא לא היתה."

ג'יימי בן ה 10 עובר עם אחותו ג'ס ואביו למנצ'סטר. אחותו רוז נהרגה בפיגוע של קיצונים מוסלמים בלונדון וכל מה שנותר ממנה הוא אפר בכד מוזהב על מדף בסלון. אביו שוקע במצולות המרה השחורה ואימו נוטשת אותם כדי לחיות עם גבר אחר -נייג'ל -חבר בקבוצת תמיכה.

ג'יימי בן ה 10 מתמודד עם שורת אכזבות, מצוקות, חלומות ומאבקים למצב את עצמו בחברה ובמציאות אותה הוא לא תמיד מבין עד הסוף. לצידו עומדת סוני
Vojtěch
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, top-2017
Lidi... Tahle kniha není dokonalá. Není to ani bestseller. Ale víte co? Je úžasná svým jedinečným způsobem (a taky mnohem lepší než Kečupová mračna, věřte mi). Čekal jsem průměrné a oddechové vyprávění, místo toho jsem dostal něco, co mě uhranulo a vyrazilo mi dech. Možná je to právě tím, jak je příběh přímočarý a že si na nic nehraje. Nebo je to zkrátka tím, že vám Jamie jako správný mladý hrdina sedne. Nekompromisně boží.
Adrián Biháry
*4,5*
Áno, je veľká pravda, že táto kniha nie je megagigadokonalá. Ale čo koho do toho? Pre mňa osobne sú najlepšie knihy také, kde si zamilujete postavy a ste rozhodnutí ísť s nimi na koniec sveta. Prežívate s nimi všetko, čo oni a vnímate svet ich očami, ste odhodlaní za ne bojovať. To preto som dal Súboji kráľov jednu hviezdu, pretože aj napriek tomu, že štýl Martina je skvelý a jeho svet nemá najmenšej chybičky, postavy so mnou nič nerobili, nič mi nehovorili a bolo mi úplne jedno, či ich Mar
Vendea
Úplně nevím, co si o téhle knize myslet. Kečupová mračna se mi moc líbila, takže jsem se na Sestru docela těšila. Anotaci jsem nečetla, takže jsem pak byla poměrně překvapená... Příběh je to určitě silný, místy mi z některých postav (třeba Jamieho otec) bylo až zle. Nic to nemění na tom, že jsem začala nenávidět Rose... a ne, bylo mi fuk, že je mrtvá. Je fajn, že tam byl i ten rasismus... Pro mě nejsilnější zážitek? Konec -(view spoiler)

3.5/5*
Marie the Librarian
Well this was a surprising and bittersweet read. Jamie is precious and my heart aches for him. Sunya is amazing I love her. Jas is also pretty darn great and their parents are buttheads.
Marky
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Jo, jo, jo!
Annabel Pitcher mám fakt ráda, moc.
Tahle knížka mě dostala stejně jako Kečupová mračna, nebo spíš ještě víc.

Perspektiva desetiletého kluka je místy těžko pochopitelná, ale věrohodná.
Autorka se citlivě dotýká spousty témat (alkoholismus, anorexie, rozvod, šikana, rasismus...) a zpracovává je vážně dobře. Jen mi vadilo, že zvlášť hlavní hrdina občas některé z nich ignoroval.

Jednoznačně 4,5/5*, ale plný počet dát nemůžu, i když mi to vehnalo slzy do očí.
P.S.Ty tlapky na stránkách :3

Celá
Amanda Stephany (mandsandherbooks)
SPOILER FREE REVIEW

3.5/5 Stars

...That's my rating if you consider everything. The plot and the writing and all of that stuff about which I care about when rating a book. Let's imagine, however, that my rating was only based on the range and depth of emotions this book made me feel. Then it would easily be a 10/5 stars read.

This is a simple and complicated story at the same time. For example, it's interesting to me that the main cause for a lot of the characters' actions throughout the story ac
Ssanp
May 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Es un libro para adolescentes y creo que pueden aprovecharlo bien, en cuanto a mi es una pérdida de tiempo. No lo recomendaría.
Mollyvknize
Uff...tak tohle bylo hodně depresivní čtení. Alespoň pro mě. Bylo to tak smutné, že se mi do té knihy chvílemi ani nechtělo. Kniha má svůj příběh a poselství. Pokud máte chuť na něco smutného a melancholického. Sáhněte po Moje sestra žije na krbové římse a čtěte o tématech jako ztráta dítěte, otec alkoholik, šikana ve škole a smrt. Já jsem asi ve fázi, kdy jsem to úplně nedávala.
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
This is a bold, brilliantly written piece on family, loss and how to cope.

Jamie Matthews is a 10-year old boy whose family has been ripped apart by tragedy. His sister Rose was killed in a terrorist bombing in London five years ago. Rose's twin, Jas, now lives totally in her shadow according to their parents, and Rose's ashes sit in an urn, almost taunting the Matthews family with her presence.

Jamie's parents are a mess. His father is an alcoholic, raging against all Muslims for "killing" his
Anita Vela
Feb 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anita by: Maite Vela
Shelves: lecturas-2015
La historia trata de Jamie un niño de 10 años y su familia tras una perdida muy dolorosa e injusta. Hace 5 años, Rose, la hermana gemela de Jass, murió tras un atentado terrorista en Londres, desde entonces nada ha sido igual para la familia, se empieza a romper en pedacitos. Empieza por la culpa cargada de reproches entre los padres y no ponerse de acuerdo con que hacer con los restos de Rose, y deciden “repartirlos”. Es entonces cuando empieza a romperse la familia. La madre los abandona, el p ...more
✿Ivy Roots✿
After I finished reading My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece I broke into tears and held the book close to my chest, right above my heart.

This year hasn’t been an awful year with books, I have given a few five-star reviews that really deserved it. I liked these books, some of them I even liked-liked, some of them I even loved. But I loved-loved this book, if there is even such a thing.

My entire soul bled for this story and I found myself suddenly unable to put the book down. I feeling I have n
haley
Originally I was only going to give this four stars, but when a book can drive me to tears it automatically becomes a five star read.

Assorted thoughts:
1. The ending's very open ended and leaves some things unresolved. I'm not sure how I feel about that
2. I really like Jamie, I think he's so sweet and adorable and I like the damn honesty in his voice. Kids are always so honest and I liked that in the narration.
3. Jamie's relationship with his sister Jas is really cute.
4. I like how all the chara
Michelle
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, middle-grade
Jamie is the younger brother of teenage twin sisters; one who passed away in the London tube bombings. This event is treated the same way as 9/11 often is and it (embarrassingly) never occurred to me it could’ve had the same national effect.

In any case, while the reverberations of this incident shake the county they shake Jamie’s family most of all. His parents are separating and his father has become one of those crazy, rambling Muslim-haters (another market I thought the U.S. cornered), not to
Lianne - Literary Diversions
I cannot remember the last time a book made me cry like this. Ugh. All the feels.
Veronika
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ak boli Kečupové oblaky aspoň z polovice také dobré, ako táto kniha, potom sa na ne už teraz naozaj veľmi teším.
Odkedy som si musela zbaliť saky-paky a odísť z pohodlia domova, nemohla som naraziť na knihu, ktorá by si ma dokázala pripútať. No v momente keď som zbadala obálku Strieborneho leva a prečítala si prvých pár viet, vedela som že toto bude ono.
Pevne verím, že sa mi v priebehu nasledujúcich dní podarí spracovať recenziu, pretože pocity vo mne stále vybuchujú, ťažko povedať niečo zmyslupl
Lily
Not gonna lie: the main reason that I chose this audiobook was for David Tennant's narration. I'd never listened to an audiobook before and decided that a short book and a familiar voice was how I wanted to ease myself in. Consuming this book through my ears meant that I wasn't able to analyze it as much as I normally might - but sometimes, that's ok. There's something comforting about just sitting back and being read to, especially with a book like this.

This story is about a 10-year-old boy nam
Emma
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
My mum loved this book. It's rare she says she loves a book, and she's a bigger reader than me. So I think I expected big, cry-inducing, things from this book. So I’m just gonna put this out there- I didn’t love this book.

I remember reading books like these when I was a child, where these children have less than perfect childhoods for whatever reason and I never understood their actions or reasons for thinking the way they did. So there you have it, I didn’t ‘get’ the story.

I found the book
María
Jan 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Algunos ya sabéis que me aburren un taco esas novelas que no tienen diálogos, en las que los personajes apenas interactuan entre ellos en primera persona, bien, pues este no tiene "diálogos", y lo pongo entre comillas porque hay algo, pero relatado desde el punto de vista de Jamie. Es como si el protagonista nos escribiese una carta citando lo que dice cada persona pero sin ponerlo como un diálogo fluido si no más bien "mi hermana dijo" o "mi padre dijo" y quizá haya sido eso lo que para mi punt ...more
Rita
After reading Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher, I was recommended to read My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece by her as well. And I'm glad that I did.

This is a sad and heart-wrenching story about a ten-year-old boy and his wondrous and innocent view on his life and the ones surrounding him.

Jamie was an adorable character; he sometimes didn't get the deeper meaning of what his sister or his friend said to him and I would get frustrated in some scenarios, but it was understandable. He was ten year
Summary Writer 1 2 Feb 25, 2018 08:07PM
Connection finder 1 2 Feb 22, 2018 09:58PM
Passage Picker 1 2 Feb 22, 2018 09:48PM
  • Everybody Jam
  • Being Billy
  • Black Heart Blue
  • When I Was Joe (When I Was Joe, #1)
  • Life: An Exploded Diagram
  • The Weight of Water
  • Out of Shadows
  • Child of the Mountains
  • The Year of the Rat
  • Hidden (Hayling Cycle, #1)
  • After Eli
  • Whisper
Annabel Pitcher studied English at Oxford and has since worked as a script writer and an English teacher. She lives in Yorkshire with her husband. MY SISTER LIVES ON THE MANTELPIECE was her first novel. She is a full-time writer.
“I stared up at the sky and raised my middle finger, just in case God was watching. I don't like being spied on.” 77 likes
“Sometimes when I wake up, I forget that she's gone and then I remember and my heart drops like it does when you miss a step or trip over a kerb.” 21 likes