Start by marking “Tolomay's World and The Pool of Light (Tolomay's World, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tolomay's World and The Pool of Light (Tolomay's World, #1)

Tolomay's World and The Pool of Light (Tolomay's World #1)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  80 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
~SO MUCH MORE THAN A ROMANCE FANTASY~

If you enjoyed Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, and The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, you will LOVE this book. There is no swearing or sex in this series. Due to adult theme, it is Not intended for young YA readers. Genre is NEW ADULT/FANTASY/ROMANCE FANTASY

Author M.E. Lorde creates a gripping story set in the earth’s future, where
Paperback, 1st Edition, 391 pages
Published February 14th 2013 by Paper Airplanes Publishing

Zoe Saadia
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read "Tolomay's World" in almost one sitting. This book is not a short one, but I just couldn't put it down. Immersed in the old world of Tolomay's people, while exploring with her the new one she had been sent to prepare, I kept reading, unwilling to pause.

The story of the young girl destined to safe her people is very touching. Her determination, her devotion, her naive sincerity are truly inspiring, making the reader root for her, worry about her, join her in her small joys. That is, until
Laurie
I thought this was a delightfully original story. It is beautifully written in an exceptionally lyrical manner that is easy to read and flows seamlessly. In the future, the Earth has been stripped of its natural resources and horribly contaminated by pollutants. Humanity is dying out. A brilliant and eccentric scientist discovers a method of time travel that may be mankind’s only hope. A very select few are chosen to travel a thousand years into the future to a clean, pristine, revitalized Earth ...more
Julie Powell
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a reviewer as well as an author, I was lucky enough to be given this book to read - and I loved it.

It is a cautionary tale of sorts (I don't give spoilers), a fantasy mixed with romance and an amazing insight into a 'clean world', where the talent and imagination of the author abounds.

The story is filled with wonderful descriptions and 'fitting' language that intertwines English with a twist...a mix of future and past and a dash of how communication and beliefs could evolve.

The characters are
Liza
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway.

So my reactions ranged from this:

to this:

Jeez, these kids have problems.

But anyway, time to move on to the actual review to explain why I felt this way towards this book!

The storyline is actually surprisingly unique. Sure, there are books that talk about the destruction of the world and what not but I don't think I've read one where the characters end up going to the future in order to get away from it. Also, I have to say the fact that nothing has evolved
S.L. Wallace
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tolomay was only 13 years-old when she was sent through the Pool of Light, 1000 years into the future. Her goal? To lead a new community of humans in a peaceful settlement, long after men have destroyed the planet. Although unprepared for the catastrophe that befell the first group of settlers, Tolomay was strong and survived. Three years later, the next group arrives. Now that she has learned to survive in a newly healed world, she must face a second, more challenging task. She must come to ter ...more
Elizabeth Rubinsky
I love the story of young Tolomay, a girl who was sent to find a safe place for her people. She won my heart with her sincere naivety, her determination, her consideration of others and their feelings.

I rarely read any other than historical fiction genre, but I'm glad I took this exception. This story is beautiful and very well written. I loved the descriptions of the 'new' world and it's wonders, unfamiliar to her and her people. I learned to live there alongside with her.

A delightful read I wo
Jen Wylie
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wonderful book quite captivated me. The pace was a little slow to get into as this new world was introduced, but then things quite took off and I didn't want to put it down. I loved the characters, Tolomay especially, and enjoyed seeing her growth. This book is quite rich in world building, but relationships also play a large role, within community, family and romance. I found this to be a very original read.
Recommended.
Picturerazzi
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tolomay's World is about a journey to a post apocalyptic Earth, almost too soon for the characters to tell if it's a dystopia or a world so pure and "how it was supposed to be."

After humanity destroyed Earth with its greed and without care for living creatures or the planet itself, some people are able to escape into a place safe of the voided planet.

This place, however, is on a different time plane than planet Earth so be prepared for some great science fiction writing from the imagination of
Joyce Wetherbee
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
A beautiful story combined with a cautionary tale of what we face if we don't start taking care of the planet we live on and the resources that are left.

Tolomay comes from a time on Earth where the planet and all on it are nearly dead. Human life is about to go the same way, all thanks to greed and carelessness. A few people have developed a way to send someone into the distant future as a means to preserve humankind. Only their youth can be sent forward to an Earth that has recovered yet still
Robert Warr
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Excellent Post-apocalyps Tale

This is a very well written and clever book. I like the concept of the world and am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

The Author's description of the breakdown of society and the deaths of most of the world's population, that happens several centuries before the last desperate survivors produce the pool of light, is both frightening and believable. As is the knowledge that humanity is doomed unless something desperate succeeds.

There is one glaring
Zed Whisper
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Regina
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book review ever. As a follower of a fantasy book club, I've started to read more indie books, and I want to support indie authors as much as I can.

I really appreciated the lead character in this book. It's not often that younger readers have strong, intelligent female lead characters to read about (Hermione Granger and Katniss Everdeen come to mind). Although I read this as an adult, I found myself wishing I had read this as a young teenager. I was not as fond of the male lead
Christoph Fischer
"Tolomay's World and the Pool of Light" by M.E. Lorde is a wonderful book where futuristic and apocalyptic scifi meets romantic love for nature and simple life.
Using a new and dangerous travel device 13 year old Tolomay is sent from a dying world to a clean and pure future to lead human kind to a new fresh start.
Not overloading us with the dying world the author focuses on our heroine who finds herself alone for several years in the unspoilt but isolated future.
Beautifully told with a eye for d
Debra Lavoie

Tolomay’s World And The Pool of Light by M.E Lorde
(Book One in the Tolomay’s World Series)

I fell in love with M.E. Lorde’s world he created; Clean Earth is magical, and new. After the war, earth was scorched and needed healing, people had died out. Now that the earth has healed for a thousand years, people can go back. Tolomay is the first to swim through the pool of light to get back to earth. She is only thirteen, and waits three years for others to follow. Tolomay is pure of heart, strong, sm
Daniel
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The idea of the book, going forward in time to survive and give the children a new possibility to make a world like it was supposed to be from the start, is a really interesting one.

The book is well written, with just enough suspence to keep you reading, and with enough open questions to want to read the next part of the series too.

When the
Daniel
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The main character seems to be a typical young teenage girl, with all the problems of growing up, but with a lot of inner strength that makes you admire her. When the
Brian Bigelow
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually had a hard time getting into this book. It read to me for the first couple of chapters like a science fiction novel which I'm not real big on. Kind of glad I didn't put it down though. Around 30% in is where it actually got interesting for me, and it stayed interesting from then on. That's about when they go for the swim through the pool and come out 1000 years into the future. That's actually quite a fascinating idea for me.

I must say the concept where humans have made the planet uni
Broken Bird Media
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it

After learning to survive off the land as the only human inhabitant of the new 'Clean Word' Tolomay Ramey is faced with an even bigger challenge. When companions to share the new world finally arrive, Kenter challenges her every step of the way. Believing he should have been the 'Original' inhabitant, the new community may not be as peaceful as intended.
I found that this book was fantasy and reality combined. Human thoughts and emotions overrule the perfect environment that has been created. Fo
Claire Taylor
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
M.E. Lorde
Tolomay's World and The Pool of Light

Where to start………WOW. I literally read this book in one sitting because I couldn’t put it down. Tolomay is such a strong character, and with the addition of Lethia & Kenter there is a great balance. The concept is unique, it’s well written and has amazing character development and world-building. You learn more and more as the story unfolds and the ending leaves you on such a cliff hanger: this story is definitely only just beginning.

Warning:
Janie
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book by the author in return for an honest review.

What a story!
I was utterly gripped!
Following Tolomay as she goes through the pool of light to land on Earth in the future an as she struggles to come to terms with the fact that her companions never made it through.
An then comes Leth and Kent an again she struggles only this time with her heart and falling for Kent and then more people arrive that ends up breaking her heart!!!
I seriously can't believe how this book ends I serious
Wanda Hartzenberg
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi

Reading this it soon became clear that the author is spending his time at world building for an epic story.

Characters is introduced and elegantly fluffed out and set in a world that went awry!

Not perfect, the three main characters is used to set of a broken world with it's strengths and weaknesses echoed in the personalities.

The world build from the ashes we left behind is intriguing. The pace of the story is fast and engaging and the stage, as they say are set for an amazing new series.

WaAr
Lauren
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tolomay has proven to be a smart and strong young woman. She is sent to basically clean up the world. This is a unique and original story line. It took me a few chapters to fall into the story, but once I did I was hooked. I loved that the author took a futuristic world and made it seem so real. WaAR
Sophia Wakeman
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tolomay's World is fantastic, it's written well, has an original story plot, and great characters
M.E Lorde made a wonderful story and I can't wait to read more!
Jess Mountifield
I was given a free copy of this ebook in return for my review.

This starts off with a very sci-fi sort of feel and I found myself engrossed in the story right away. The narration style was a little different but worked well and still felt natural once I was used to it.

Tolomay was brilliant and the situation she found herself in was so well described I felt like I could understand what she was going through.

There's a good deal of a romance sort of focus to the majority of the book which was a litt
J.C. Andrijeski
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the more original stories I've read in some time, not only in terms of the world-building and the premise, but the tone of the piece, which was really unusual but totally worked to create a really unique feel and voice. Tolomay is a colonizer, of sorts, an explorer / settler sent with a group of other young people (kids, really, at least when they are first sent) to carve a new path for humanity after they've endangered the species' survival via environmental destruction and so on ...more
Diane Rapp
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A surprising glimpse into the future

A young girl is raised with one purpose--to lead her people into a future where they can survive an approaching disaster. Tolomay's courage and fortitude is remarkable as she faces a strange new world filled with danger and loneliness. She steps into the pool of light confidently, after all, her father looked into the future and would send her friends along soon. What kind of future had her father really seen? She finds clues and warnings in the ruins of her o
Darlene Cruz
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent font if you get the book (my poor eyes) The flow of the story moved smoothly. The author made me feel a basket full of emotions. Tolomay trained by her father will be the first in the New World via her father's machine. Photographic memory, brute strength, knowledge beyond her peers, no room for weakness. Her survival skills is something to be admired. Gathering herbs, hunting, fighting back a bear, wolves, cougars. Now her New World turn inside out when twins Kenter and Lethia enters. ...more
Darlene Cruz
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Elyse Salpeter
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The idea that a dying civilization is so desperate for survival that they’ll send their children into an unknown future, using a possible faulty and dangerous technology, is incredibly compelling. I was fascinated at how the author weaved all the intricacies between the worlds together and the complicated science that was involved.

I was completely invested in her characters. Her protagonist, Tolomay is this brilliant, amazing girl, but put to a task that I doubt most adults could handle. She’s f
Sky
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The style of the characters speech was strange- but in a good way. I felt it lent credibility to this being in a first person view of the main character whom is supposed to be one of the last humans. It makes sense our way of talking would alter and I quite like the effect. It makes the characters seem cold and distant but the way they feel is warm and bold. An interesting contrast. The (view spoiler) is a bit rushed I feel but the cliff hanger

« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Perpetual Rain (The Chronicles of Trellah, #1)
  • SILVER: Acheron (A River of Pain) (The Amaranthe Chronicles, #1) (Silver, #1)
  • Wolf Tracker (After the Crash #3)
  • Upload
  • A New Threat
  • The Newstead Project
  • Dangerous Designs (Design, #1)
  • Dead Light
  • The Golden Apple of Discord (The Discord Trilogy, #1)
  • Apocalyptic Moon (After the Bane, #1)
  • Jack Templar and the Lord of the Vampires (The Templar Chronicles, #3)
  • The Year of Four (Phoebe Pope, #1)
  • Red Madrassa (Algardis, #1)
  • Matt Archer: Blade's Edge (Matt Archer #2)
  • Enigma Black (Enigma Black, #1)
  • Strange Places (Finding Tayna, #1)
  • Paradise 21 (A New Dawn, #1)
  • Fading Light (Shadow Born, #2)
Author Bio- Author M.E. Lorde grew up in the rural community of Victor, NY, surrounded by farms, orchards, and the Finger Lakes, with miles of grape vineyards in neighboring towns.
M.E. Lorde wanted to be a writer from an early age. She wrote her first book at the age of ten – a story about a bird, called ‘Babbly’.
M.E.  has raised four children, primarily as a single parent.  Writing was put on th
More about M.E. Lorde

Tolomay's World (3 books)
  • Tolomay's World and The Mountain of Tegi (Tolomay's World, #2)
  • Tolomay's World The Splitting of The Trunk (Tolomay's World, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)